• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I downloaded the whole game, went through the character creation process and when I was finally ready to play servers went down. Even went through the tunnel once. 😢🤦🏽‍♂️

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
At one point 12k people were watching Max Dood trying to speedrun the character creator. lol.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have fun if yall get in overnight. Interested in reading impressions tomorrow morning and playing *fingers crossed*

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
The farthest I got was the character creator, and now the servers are down? I was foolish to think opening up Ship 2 would help things. They really underestimated how many people wanted in I guess. Don't they have sign up data for this?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I should probably just go to bed at this point. I was able to get on right when the beta time started to create my character and get through most of the tutorial. I didn't know what I would think of the game, but admittedly even that brief time has me quite interested in checking it out more because the combat even in training did feel quite fast and nice in particular. Hopefully they get servers sorted tonight so that I can play some tomorrow.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like this shit is indeed going to be beta tested in the future.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm a little confused by the ship selection. Am I really SUPPOSED to choose "getting started" and have it automatically assign a ship to me?

And in the final release, can you swap ships to be with friends?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
There's no way they don't extend the beta after this mess, right?

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when they didnt want to bring this game to the west for 7 years

They couldn't. The resources needed to do so just simply didn't exist. Sega of America had an exceptionally bad 2012 resulting in a shortage of manpower and funds that made it impossible to localize PSO2, leaving some serious egg on their face since that wasn't the case when they had originally announced it, before their 2012 Tsar Bombas happened. And, well, by the time they did have resources again, they had effectively missed their window - Too much of a content backlog, and a Galapagos'd extremely Japan-specific monetization model that had developed in the vacuum of an international playerbase.

There's a few very specific individuals, 3rd party studios outside Sega, and specific titles that are to blame for that situation that resulted in PSO2's indefinite delay, but any hard evidence I had is buried deep on The Old Site and I've been unable to excavate it, so I'll be refraining from Naming Names on that front going forward.

Phil Spencer fronted some serious resources to make this happen. And shame on Sony for not making any moves to do so over the past seven years, instead of shrugging and all but saying "Not our problem".

You know what real bullshit is? Dragon's Dogma Online not coming west while Capcom instead just ports Dark Arisen to more platforms than Skyrim.

Though on another hand I wonder what kind of content the NA version of PSO2 might miss out on - AFAIK there's a ton of Crossover content that might be Licensing Hell to localize - And in a rather unhealthy ratio to pure Phantasy Stay/Sega stuff at that. If even those get localized, well, then there were some absolute madmen involved in making this possible.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got to create my character and finish the tutorial when the Beta began, somehow.

Hope they extend this for a day.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They couldn't. The resources needed to do so just simply didn't exist. Sega of America had an exceptionally bad 2012 resulting in a shortage of manpower and funds that made it impossible to localize PSO2, leaving some serious egg on their face since that wasn't the case when they had originally announced it, before their 2012 Tsar Bombas happened. And, well, by the time they did have resources again, they had effectively missed their window - Too much of a content backlog, and a Galapagos'd extremely Japan-specific monetization model that had developed in the vacuum of an international playerbase.

There's a few very specific individuals, 3rd party studios outside Sega, and specific titles that are to blame for that situation that resulted in PSO2's indefinite delay, but any hard evidence I had is buried deep on The Old Site and I've been unable to excavate it, so I'll be refraining from Naming Names on that front going forward.

Phil Spencer fronted some serious resources to make this happen. And shame on Sony for not making any moves to do so over the past seven years, instead of shrugging and all but saying "Not our problem".

You know what real bullshit is? Dragon's Dogma Online not coming west while Capcom instead just ports Dark Arisen to more platforms than Skyrim.

Though on another hand I wonder what kind of content the NA version of PSO2 might miss out on - AFAIK there's a ton of Crossover content that might be Licensing Hell to localize - And in a rather unhealthy ratio to pure Phantasy Stay/Sega stuff at that. If even those get localized, well, then there were some absolute madmen involved in making this possible.
Oh for sure, it's pretty messy all around and I agree dragon's dogma never coming over was lame.

Microsoft has my respect for having the guts to dump money into this to expand their roster this far into it's release when sony ignored it's success

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018

What kind of resources are you imagining here, numbers wise? I don't really follow these obscene costs your alluding to considering what shoestring budgeted indie's pull it off or what fans do for free. If they were concerned about the F2P model or series' viability in the West they should have just sold it as a boxed product with a text only localization. You are aware of some of the super niche Japanese shit that gets localized, right? PSO2's worst case scenario would have outsold most of that stuff 100 fold.

Last edited:

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017

Thing is, it seems like Sega is convinced that the west needs localised VA. It's probably why PSO2 is NA specific, they don't want to make EU VA.

But for fucks sake SEGA, we don't need this. I would be surprised if it's even 50/50 using English VA.

It's just, this is a very Sega thing right? We saw it with Yakuza localisations aswell. But we don't need this, it's not the audience, Sega just don't seem to realize who their audience is.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't get around to downloading the client until tonight. I'm getting like 56k modem speed (ok maybe exaggerating, but here's hoping it speeds up overnight)

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of resources are you imagining here, numbers wise? I don't really follow these obscene costs your alluding to considering what shoestring budgeted indie's pull it off or what fans do for free. If they were concerned about the F2P model or series' viability in the West they should have just sold it as a boxed product with a text only localization.

I imagine the licensing alone is a huge investment they have to overcome, they have to go and figure out all those different licensing agreements and which can be localized and which can't (there are a significant amount). They also have to spin up servers, support staff, localization, all of which have to be actively maintained going forward since it's a live game, so new content has to be adapted pretty consistently. All of that for an IP that doesn't really have a presence in the west outside of a Gamecube/Dreamcast game that launched multiple generations ago.

Like it's probably not obscene (at least imo, I have no idea), but I can imagine it being costly to bring something like PSO west and then maintain it. Especially when it might just find no audience and flop, and SEGA wasn't really in a position to eat a flop like that lightly. I feel like Japanese games had a bit of a resurgence in the last handful of years, but before that and even now I can see why SEGA never took the risk. It took having someone like Microsoft eat that risk for them and provide funding and servers and all that for them to finally bring it over.