• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
9WHHdhp.gif

(All credit to pikachief for the OT title!)

Official Website: https://pso2.com/
MS Store - Steam - EGS
Developer:
Sega
Publisher: Sega
Official Release Date: April 14th, 2020 (Xbox) May 27th, 2020(PC)
Platforms: Xbox One, W10, Steam, EGS
Size: 70 GB

X9k2CuS.png

(The Story)
Welcome to Oracle, an intergalactic fleet at the forefront of deep-space travel and exploration. You are the newest recruit of ARKS, a task force dedicated to surveying and monitoring the biospheres of inhospitable planets while scouting for signs of a corrupted force that seeks to shroud the universe in darkness. The home base for ARKS is the fleet of Oracle, comprised of countless city-sized ships inhabited by denizens of four species: Humans, Newmans, CAST, and Deumans. These races come together as ARKS Operatives, with each member selecting one of nine classes and training in combat with eighteen different weapons, often enhanced by the manipulation of cosmic energies known as Photons. As a member of ARKS, you will train and undertake missions to prepare for a single goal: protecting the universe from the threat of the organization's most prominent enemy, the Falspawn.

FbVKRQr.jpg

2FPWw0r.png

(Races & Classes)

Races

j1udlf0.png

Humans are capable in all areas, and this makes them perfect as all-around operatives. Whether the weapon is a Talis or a Wired Lance, Humans can adapt and perform in any combat situation. They are balanced in their stat growth and are a good choice overall for any class. An ARKS Party made up entirely of Humans would be able to do well in any environment, especially when the circumstances are unknown.

HQK3aQd.png

Newmans were created with a mind towards increasing Photon Power among Arks. This specialization race excels with Techniques, whether it be attacking with them or defending against them. The gifts in these areas, however, lend towards a slightly frail constitution compared to other races. One side-effect discovered in their creation was the tendency towards long, pointed ears. Length and point orientation vary on an individual basis, of course.

dVRKW0h.png

CASTs are the counterpoint to Newmans. Their Photon Power may be somewhat below average; however, their physical prowess and fortitude are exemplary. This makes them ideal in roles where Striking or Ranged Damage is preferred and greater resilience is needed against strong enemy attacks. The generally accepted theory of ARKS on the creation of CASTs is that the life-force of Newmans or Humans with high Photon Power and a body too weak to withstand it are transplanted into a sturdier metallic frame, therefore being "CAST."

72j3Ibv.png

Deumans are a race created with the single-minded intent of increasing damage capability. This means that they have higher stats and stat growth with any form of attack, but reduced resilience and defensive ability. Deumans are excellent at blitz attacks where they can overwhelm their enemy with burst damage. If the enemy is underestimated, however, this can present a slight problem to the less-durable Deuman. Their aesthetic features horns, one for the male and two for the female, as well as the chance to have dichromatic eyes.

As research into Photons progressed among the original creators, differences between the races became more minimal, leaving only slightly different capabilities between them. That is why all individuals are now encouraged in their choice of class by the Council, as ultimately passion leads to more disciplined training and therefore a greater chance to excel.

Classes
Like many other online RPG's, players will also be asked to select from several classes that determine your abilities in combat. Unlike many of those games however, PSO2's classes can be switched to and from at any time in the Ship, regardless of what you pick when first creating your character. This allows players to experiment freely with what class they would like to play as. As players progress, you will also be able to select a "subclass" which allows you to take certain attributes from one class and mix into your main! You also level both classes while a subclass is equipped, although the subclass will only receive a small portion of your overall XP gain. It's also important to note that when first making your character, only 6 of these classes will be available to select. As soon as you complete the tutorial, you can switch to the remaining 3 at will by speaking to Class Consultant Bhea in the ARKS Ship. Four additional classes will be unlocked upon hitting level 75 with two of those nine classes, called "Scion" classes in-game. The thirteen classes in total are:

0w7gi9Z.png

sa8dO4h.png
KnG4P7g.png

RKr1hO0.png

ggR3CIX.png

WL8GSWj.png

LnvOMKH.png

Mjc2v5H.png

bWmOxh3.png

VuKhj63.png

xD22iVb.png

IqRBMwI.png

MbQJvRG.png

0kdG4jx.jpg

t5Y0ABP.png

(F.A.Q. & Media)

Does the game require Xbox Live Gold?
NO, XBL Gold is no longer required for any F2P games, including PSO2!

What version of the game will we be playing?
As of May 2021, the global version is for all intents and purposes fully updated content-wise when compared to the JP version.

Is the game Xbox One X Enhanced?
Yes, the game is 4K60fps with "additional text display options" on Xbox One X.

How is PSO2 for fans of PSO?
For PSO fans, I would say the core loop of the game is still very much present if that's what you loved about the original. That said, the two biggest changes from PSO that will be polarizing for most of you are the far more "anime" style and the much more in-depth and action focused combat system.

Does it matter which Ship I choose when starting?
Yes, your character will be locked to the ship you set them in when starting, with the option to change ships available for a fee. Therefore, it's important you know what ship your friends/guild will be located in, and that you do NOT automatically pick the "getting started" option which will auto-select ship one for you. See post #2 for more information regarding the Era alliance.

IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR PSO2:
pso2.com

Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis Official Site | SEGA

Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis Official Site

rCoWacR.jpg

tNBbd92.jpg

Pt9t0Xf.png

y8pCQQ8.jpg

WI3oxhN.jpg

ln0yfrm.jpg

p0riEQy.jpg

Last edited:
Join the PSO2Era Discord & Alliance!
OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
NO9NkzI.jpg

Hello fellow ARKS and welcome to the PSO2Era community! You will find all the information regarding joining the PSO2Era Alliance in the appropriate channels in the Discord. Please make sure to read if interested in joining. With that said, there is some important information to take note of before you start up the game and begin to create your character:

"How can I get in the Discord?"

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

"What ship should I choose if I'm interested in joining the ERA PSO2 Alliance?"
Ship 02: Ur

"Is there a specific block (instance) I should be looking for?"
First, you can check the block you are in by looking below your minimap. You will see the letter B-(for block), followed by a string of three numbers. Those three numbers are what block you are currently in.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

"So I'm in the Alliance, what now?"
Now, you have access to the Alliance quarters which is home to our lovely tree. By completing alliance client orders we gain alliance points that can be used to level up our alliance in various ways, the most important one being allowing us to level our photon tree, which can provide powerful buffs for a set time at no cost to alliance members. Premium members will also have access to the alliance storage.

Last edited:

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Nice OT! Im not big on MMO's but im definitely gonna check this one out whenever the pc version releases

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
AFTER 8 YEARS OF WAITING, I CANNOT BELIEVE WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A OFFICIAL PSO RELEASE ON AMERICA.
Enjoy it America, even if it's not a real successor of the original PSO, it's still a very good game that scratches the itch and adds really good gameplay mechanics on a very generous F2P
Just avoid all the EP 4 storyline, that shit sucks hard

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
The original PSO was one of my favorite games. From the very limited time I played the Beta and the fan translated version, I'm not certain if this is up my alley, but I'll give it a try for sure!

I know beta progress carries over but have they said if there's an end date for open beta? Or is this basically an early access thing?

OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
The original PSO was one of my favorite games. From the very limited time I played the Beta and the fan translated version, I'm not certain if this is up my alley, but I'll give it a try for sure!

I know beta progress carries over but have they said if there's an end date for open beta? Or is this basically an early access thing?

No end date announced for the open beta yet, and with them allowing you to buy things like founders packs many are assuming it's rolling right into the full release.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the shoutout :) when I played the beta and saw that opening mission title I was hit with nostalgia and feels and instantly thought it would make the perfect OT title!

so excited to play this again! So many weapon types I didn't try in the cbt

catskratch

Oct 25, 2017
For those that missed them from the old thread, these are the two videos I made of the "Live"Concert on the last day of the closed beta.

As someone who invested hundreds of hours into PSO and PSU, I am very excited for this!

I will be assisting in getting everyone from ERA to join our clan so look for Skratch on our ship. I'll post times in here and our discord when I'll be readily available to add you and where I will be. Looking forward to all the fun times with everyone!

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be in as soon as the PC version releases, for now I'll just be very jealous of y'all. :)

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Awww yeah, it's almost time! Can't wait to jump back in! Get your capes on PSOEra.

Great OT, best title!

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for this. I missed the last beta. I hope I still will love this game like back in the Dreamcast. I need buddies to play with so add me. PrinceKee...

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I just realized that I need XBLG to play.
I have a One S I never use and will end up playing on PC once that version is released. So a 3 month sub should hopefully cover the time until the "spring" release.

Edit:
I also wanted to share links to buy the Xbox Chatpads as they're quite useful for PSO2 for the hotbar keys that you can map to skills and items and whatnot.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-Xbox-Chatpad-5F7-00001-Xbox-One/47637838

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-cm-microsoft-xbox-one-chatpad-chat-headset
Even though I don't plan to stay on XB these are kind of nice, might get one just for the collection. But I wonder, can you just use a keyboard in game to chat/for shortcuts?

Last edited:

catskratch

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that I need XBLG to play.
I have a One S I never use and will end up playing on PC once that version is released. So a 3 month sub should hopefully cover the time until the "spring" release.

Edit:

Even though I don't plan to stay on XB these are kind of nice, might get one just for the collection. But I wonder, can you just use a keyboard in game to chat/for shortcuts?
You can of course use any regular USB keyboard, but having this is useful for the hotbar to not have to scroll to each button for the items/skills/etc you can set up. The ingame keyboard is not ideal for text chat due to the single letter entry.

DoctorDake

Development Director
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Great OT, very excited for this week!

As a PSO newbie, I've heard there are some absolute "don't do this or you'll mess up your character forever" pieces of advice/suggestions. Something about Mag stats being super important? Can we get a clean list of those posted here by someone more familiar than me?

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
You can of course use any regular USB keyboard, but having this is useful for the hotbar to not have to scroll to each button for the items/skills/etc you can set up. The ingame keyboard is not ideal for text chat due to the single letter entry.
Man these are hard to get in Germany, can't find any new ones and used prices are insane. Will probably stick to USB keyboard for the time being, as I will migrate to PC in the long run anyway. But still kind of bummed as I love gadgets like this (still kind of bitter I never got that I never got that Game Cube keyboard controller).

Ade

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Can't wait, I'm on Ship02 and loved the Beta. Would love to join the Era clan/alliance. Assume I have no choice but to download/use discord? #OldManShoutsAtCloud

Fun fact, my psoworld account I think is my oldest digital footprint, 2001.

View Profile: adycarter - PSO-World.com

The World's Largest Phantasy Star Community - Now serving forums, guides, items databases, news for Phantasy Star Online 2 (PSO2), Phantasy Star Universe, Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity, Phantasy Star Zero, PSO2, PSP2i, PSP2, PSP, PSU, PS0, PSZ, Online PSO, Blue Burst PSOBB, Ambitions of the...

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Great OT, very excited for this week!

As a PSO newbie, I've heard there are some absolute "don't do this or you'll mess up your character forever" pieces of advice/suggestions. Something about Mag stats being super important? Can we get a clean list of those posted here by someone more familiar than me?
The general advice I've heard is this:

Focus on one stat for a MAG, as MAGs are not earned via gameplay. You get one per character you make, and you can buy additional ones through microtransactions - and that reverting levels on MAGs can be difficult. Additionally, I've been told that defensive stats don't make as much of an impact, since you can so readily avoid damage entirely in this game, and you'll get more mileage out of making your damage output go up.

So for Hunters and Fighters, make a Melee Attack MAG. For Rangers and Gunners, make a Ranged Attack MAG. For Forces and Techters, make a Technique Attack MAG. For Bouncers and Bravers, make a Dexterity MAG (since they have a free passive skill that converts Dexterity into multiple other stats). Not sure what to do about Summoners though.

In the closed beta, I made a DEX mag since I was most interested in Bouncer - and setting Bouncer as my subclass also gives the passive that converts Dex into Melee and Technique attack, so for the time being, I can take advantage of that early on for anything that isn't centered on Ranged Attack.

OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Can't wait, I'm on Ship02 and loved the Beta. Would love to join the Era clan/alliance. Assume I have no choice but to download/use discord? #OldManShoutsAtCloud

Fun fact, my psoworld account I think is my oldest digital footprint, 2001.

View Profile: adycarter - PSO-World.com

The World's Largest Phantasy Star Community - Now serving forums, guides, items databases, news for Phantasy Star Online 2 (PSO2), Phantasy Star Universe, Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity, Phantasy Star Zero, PSO2, PSP2i, PSP2, PSP, PSU, PS0, PSZ, Online PSO, Blue Burst PSOBB, Ambitions of the...

You don't have to use discord. If you want, just message me your GT when the game is out and I'll add you on Xbox and invite you to it.

Fries

Oct 25, 2017
The general advice I've heard is this:

Focus on one stat for a MAG, as MAGs are not earned via gameplay. You get one per character you make, and you can buy additional ones through microtransactions - and that reverting levels on MAGs can be difficult. Additionally, I've been told that defensive stats don't make as much of an impact, since you can so readily avoid damage entirely in this game, and you'll get more mileage out of making your damage output go up.

So for Hunters and Fighters, make a Melee Attack MAG. For Rangers and Gunners, make a Ranged Attack MAG. For Forces and Techters, make a Technique Attack MAG. For Bouncers and Bravers, make a Dexterity MAG (since they have a free passive skill that converts Dexterity into multiple other stats). Not sure what to do about Summoners though.

In the closed beta, I made a DEX mag since I was most interested in Bouncer - and setting Bouncer as my subclass also gives the passive that converts Dex into Melee and Technique attack, so for the time being, I can take advantage of that early on for anything that isn't centered on Ranged Attack.
Bravers and Bouncers don't necessarily need a DEX mag and the only one that majorly makes use of it is the Phantom class later (and anything that uses it as a subclass.) Since you only get 1 mag you might want to decide if you really want to stick to DEX classes because even at max level certain weapons require a specific stat and, for example, the Hero's mag stat conversion bonus does not apply to DEX mags. As for the defensive stats, HP is better than defense. Attack, HP, and PP should not be neglected. :)

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
WHAT!!!
I had no idea this was going open beta.
I will be preloading tomorrow OMG!!
Will open beta just lead to release or is this a reef period where the game will then be offline until release?
I may wait if it's just a short test then gone because that will drive me crazy.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WHAT!!!
I had no idea this was going open beta.
I will be preloading tomorrow OMG!!
Will open beta just lead to release or is this a reef period where the game will then be offline until release?
I may wait if it's just a short test then gone because that will drive me crazy.
They're selling founder packs and other micro transactions, so I'm assuming this beta stays open and the game is just out starting tomorrow.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any way to expand my inventory size? I dont see it on the Founders packs. I love the game but the inventory management drives me insane.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I liked a lot of the Beta except for the Emergency Raids.

Are those a big part of the game? They seemed way too chaotic to enjoy.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
They're selling founder packs and other micro transactions, so I'm assuming this beta stays open and the game is just out starting tomorrow.

holy mother of god lol
I was prepping for Animal Crossing!!!
PSO will be life consuming for me and I know it.
Welp.
I will buy one of the founder packs and play this week.
I can't not play if the game is basically out tomorrow.
This is on the level of Sony's E3 of Dreams awhile back. I thought it was impossible and yet here we are.

Fries

Oct 25, 2017
I liked a lot of the Beta except for the Emergency Raids.

Are those a big part of the game? They seemed way too chaotic to enjoy.
The Urgent Quests? Sadly those mostly are. They've tried to add weapons to the field area's treasure pools for later difficulties but they just dripfeed content like that until the next big raid is ready so when they cycle to the next field with new drops the old ones die out and the loot eventually gets placed in the Urgent quest/raid/new content. It helps for casual play but that's just the Japanese server's experience at least.