• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
But i guess i won't be able to "transfer" my character on an European server when the game will be officially released :o ?
That is for sure probably never possible. But the first and 2nd servers on the JP launch are basically all english peeps as they sorta invaded and used it so much most of the JP players left.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I fail to see why they won't release it on Steam the same date it is released on PC.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's just crazy cause the website even mentioned Steam. So clearly they had the intention to release on it. But I guess now Microsoft believes that this is the game that will finally make people play on their store? What?

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
These were your words, not mine:

"At this point one has to wonder is someone is deliberately trying to make this fail. I mean, there's a HUGE pandemic happening, you know what type of game would have been nice to have ?"

So yeah, if your gonna show up and point how great this game would be to have while your dealing with a pandemic while showing none of that same concern to the people working on it in the same post and also floating the idea this is being done purposely, I think ill respond accordingly.

I'll explain it all again and more clearly I hope, because I never even considered people in the equation, on that we apparently agree.

Game's been out for PC for 8 years, is basically ready and a button push away from release, and I don't think there's any more work to do. I think a marketing decision or whatever is holding the PC release, nothing more.
EVEN if there was a bit of work remaining, anything can be done remotely, like most people have been working for the past weeks.
So you say I'm overlooking the welfare of people, no no no : I don't even considered people were still needed.
Again I'm a little baffled to have to type all this and I really hope you understand what I tried to say this time.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Microsoft games can be released day and date on Steam because in that scenario, they make 80% of the cut from an expanded audience.
Why in the world would anyone express that Microsoft - after spending lots of money to help bring the game to the West - would want some exclusivity period on PC to make some money out of the deal?

A Steam release for an F2P game not published by MS would net Microsoft precisely zero dollars.

I mean Microsoft didn't make Gears 5 or the MCC store exclusives and they funded those from top to bottom. Ori too.

They get 80% cut from every sale on Steam.
They would get zero USD from this game on Steam.

Also this is what Phil Spencer said when they announced Halo for Steam:

This is an F2P game, not published by MS. Context matters.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So no steam version was clearly NOT planned.

They had a blog post up just a little bit ago talking about the benefits of Premimum and it said that you can modify some additional settings on the PC and Steam version.

Again, that blog post has now been removed. In fact all mention of the Steam version has been scrubbed from the site.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft games can be released day and date on Steam because in that scenario, they make 80% of the cut from an expanded audience.
Why in the world would anyone express that Microsoft - after spending lots of money to help bring the game to the West - would want some exclusivity period on PC to make some money out of the deal?

A Steam release for an F2P game not published by MS would net Microsoft precisely zero dollars.

They get 80% cut from every sale on Steam.
They would get zero USD from this game on Steam.

This is an F2P game, not published by MS. Context matters.

Dude, considering how awful the translation is, I can't imagine they're spending a fortune.

Also this isn't a Microsoft 100% funded game. All they've done is provided servers and google translate. (The game even misspells Anticipate" as "Antiscipate" like how does that happen? That's not even getting close to the almost comically awful amount of mistranslated stuff. Some stuff reported in the original beta tests and never fixed.)

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Yeah it would probably bankrupt Microsoft to allow this game on Steam.

well, I've never gone into business arrangements thinking "yeah, I've got money in the bank so I can afford to invest time and effort and get nothing out of It ".

Usually, people and for-profit entities tend to want to get something out of business arrangements.

your approach may differ, and I respect that.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
As opposed to the $900 they plan to make on the Microsoft Store.

Eh, people seem to manage to use Microsoft's storefronts for PC Gamepass and get by. Millions of subscribers, perhaps. And that's for a paid service.

an F2P game during a lockdown will probably have appeal, and Microsoft Store might not prove to be a major hurdle for fans. Especially for free.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If MS funded the localisation they might wanna ask for their money back. It's totally half-assed and badly in need of a quality pass.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
well, I've never gone into business arrangements thinking "yeah, I've got money in the bank so I can afford to invest time and effort and get nothing out of It ".

Usually, people and for-profit entities tend to want to get something out of business arrangements.

your approach may differ, and I respect that.
Why do you think games like Halo and Gears of War are on Steam?

Do you think this game will be more or less successful if it is on just Windows App Store, or Windows App Store + Steam?

Do you think it is good for Microsoft's ability to work with Japanese publishers in the future if they are responsible for this game being less successful than it might have been because of decisions Microsoft made?

Do you think building a successful business is just about immediate short term profits?

A lot people use MS Store because GPPC, make sense.

The number of people using Steam and Windows App Store combined is far far greater than the number of people using just Windows App Store.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Why would SEGA doom their own game ?
Given that they are not even launching day and date with the winstore, and even that is more than one month away, a very likely scenario is that they are still working on the port.

Keep in mind that while this is a non winstore game originally this version connects to Azure so who knows how the port was handled and now they need to port back to the original game.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think this needs to be said some of you need to do some soul searching. MS funded the game fact, MS teamed with Sega to release the game on Xbox and PC fact. MS spent a large amount of money to bring this title to the west fact. Why are so many acting like Sega and MS kicked their dog when Xbox and Microsoft related properties are getting treated as priority for this release? Exclusive, yes it is and we've known this since last year! What has changed folks? All MS promised was the title would come to Xbox and PC they didn't say how the game would be played on each platform. Go check you facts from last year.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Can someone tell me what are the best options for the base X1 so that it runs relatively smoothly and doesn't look like completely terrible?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It'll probably go to other PC storefronts (Steam, EGS) in 6-12 months, around when it also goes to other consoles (PS4, Switch Cloud, nextgen).

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, guess i'll wait for it to come out on something else or just give in and use the fan translations

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Dude, considering how awful the translation is, I can't imagine they're spending a fortune.

Also this isn't a Microsoft 100% funded game. All they've done is provided servers and google translate. (The game even misspells Anticipate" as "Antiscipate" like how does that happen? That's not even getting close to the almost comically awful amount of mistranslated stuff. Some stuff reported in the original beta tests and never fixed.)

we may never know how much funding MS put up for this game to come to the West. I'd bet it's fairly substantial.

Why do you think games like Halo and Gears of War are on Steam?

Do you think this game will be more or less successful if it is on just Windows App Store, or Windows App Store + Steam?

Halo and Gears are on Steam to reach a wider audience and make more money for Microsoft.

This game would be more successful with a Steam release, but it would not yield any success for Microsoft in that case. In fact, they'd make way less money.

Do you think it is good for Microsoft's ability to work with Japanese publishers in the future if they are responsible for this game being less successful than it might have been because of decisions Microsoft made?

Do you think building a successful business is just about immediate short term profits?

There are precisely zero indications that this game would even be localized without MS help and intervention.
SEGA is making money off a western release that probably wasn't in the offing. I think they're happy with this deal. They're getting something in exchange for that exclusivity.

It's an F2P game. There's no major barrier to getting this on the MS store and accounts will likely be portable between the Windows Store version and the Steam version when it's out.
I don't see the storefront being a major obstacle to any fan who wanted this.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
People talk like MS moneyhatted/funded PSO2 in the West and that is not the case. Sega funded the localization, MS role is more in advertising push (E3 2019 is the epitome of that). The credits have Microsoft nowhere to be found...

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
"If you can't change country or region, it might be for one of these reasons:
  • You changed the country or region within the last three months."
Seems like you can only change regions once every 3 months, which would mean that I would lock myself out of Gamepass, etc. for at least 3 months. Doesn't sound optimal imo.
This is for 360 Xbox live only.

For xbone and pc the region is a device setting you can change at will.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Now that makes sense. Microsoft would not fund whatever sega asked to bring this game to this side of the world just because of something vain like good will.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It will be interesting to see how this goes. The game is already experiencing a drop in players going by server blocks visible in-game. I'd be surprised if it lasts more than a year.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Whenever I browse my all apps list, Microsoft Store is something I compulsively want to uninstall. It's not doing anything wrong but I just can't even. Too bad PSO2 is getting the cement shoes treatment.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
So, being this is an MMO and undoubtedly would need me to make an account for it, specifically, could I just, I dunno, use my Xbox One S to start the game and when it eventually lands on other platforms (Steam will hopefully let Proton run it) I can just sign in there to play my existing stuff? FFXIV does this (aside from the whole standalone vs Steam thing) and it would let me at least try it now.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man id love to play this. Hope it comes to switch or PS4, as I don't have an Xbox. I guess I could do PC. PSO is so great. So many great memories.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Maybe this is so they can maintain cross play between PC and Xbox? Dunno, just thinking of a possible reason.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
This dosent make any sense....even if MS is the one bank rolling this why would they not put out a Steam release seeing as how they are putting all their other games on Steam day one already.