• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, this sounds spooky and made me stop downloading this game. Guess I'm avoiding it until there's a Steam version based on this?
You don't need to get spooked. You will never hit limits on SSDs unless you are re-writing to it every minute and that is not happening on a game install. The only real issue will be very big patch sizes.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
It means that it's wasting your limited supply of Write Operations by downloading shit it doesn't need to. Once those run out, your SSD is either dead or read-only and you're buying a new one. If you're on a budget, that matters when SSDs are $100/tb on the low-end.

Steam only downloads the precise data that was changed.

The Windows 10 store re-downloads the entire files that had changes in them. That means if a 1 Gigabyte (1024MB) file has a 1MB change, you are going to be redownloading all 1024MBs of the file. That's 1024x as many Write Operations as was needed for that file.

See the image I posted for the deadly difference. 7.74GB download on Windows 10 store for an MCC update with only 175.9MB of differences, of which Steam downloads only those differences.

This is exactly why a Microsoft store only was a really bad idea.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
It's annoying, but not anything you need to reasonably be worried about. Microsoft would need to update PSO2 more than daily to ever be concerned about hitting the write limit on your SSD. By the time you do reach that limit, you could easily replace it with something better and cheaper than what you paid for it initially.

Okay, then I'll go ahead and download it. Thanks for the additional info.

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently the 11gb downloads a launcher which will download the rest of the game... so don't leave before opening it up to finish the rest of the installation.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It means that it's wasting your limited supply of Write Operations by downloading shit it doesn't need to. Once those run out, your SSD is either dead or read-only and you're buying a new one. If you're on a budget, that matters when SSDs are $100/tb on the low-end.

Steam only downloads the precise data that was changed.

The Windows 10 store re-downloads the entire files that had changes in them. That means if a 1 Gigabyte (1024MB) file has a 1MB change, you are going to be redownloading all 1024MBs of the file. That's 1024x as many Write Operations as was needed for that file.

See the image I posted for the deadly difference. 7.74GB download on Windows 10 store for an MCC update with only 175.9MB of differences, of which Steam downloads only those differences.

This seems like pretty alarmist fearmongering. It's highly unlikely anyone is going to hit their SSD write limit. Even if it was being patched every day. Which it wont be.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, yes, the UWP App seems to be the launcher as discussed above. Guess we might not have to fear bloated UWP Patches after all.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
With my newly upgraded 100Mb connection, I'm looking at 2 hours to download everything. So yeah, If you're going to sleep, opening the launcher and start the download.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
11gb just for the launcher seems wild

also downloading this game outside of it's region is so trivial that it's weird it has the region restriction at all

I imagine it's legal / contractual reasons why we see MMOs so segregated, not neccessarily a technical one.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Installed and ready to go.

Played a bit on Xbox, very excited to actually get into it. Watching some tutorials to be ready. I'm dreading figuring out what the items in my already full inventory are for.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Has this been popular on the Xbox, so far?

I feel like PSO2 finally coming over would be a bigger deal since the original PSO was such a classic many people played for countless hours, but I feel like it's not really talked about much and it gets barely any views on twitch.

Is it just a case of releasing it way too late for US? I mean, it is pretty wild this game initially came out in Japan a year before the Xbox One and PS4... lol

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine it's legal / contractual reasons why we see MMOs so segregated, not neccessarily a technical one.

This.

PSO2 has too much Crossover Content for its own good, which can, does, and will trip things up.

Sega and/or MS trying to negotiate distribution agreements for EU or other territories may very well hinge on how well the NA release does first.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Man wanted to try alas, it doesn't work for me. For some reason, launcher can't create a folder in documents folder, despite me lauching it with admin priviliges

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Theres more to download after the download:

EKI8H5w.png

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
launcher download takes me like 20mins with avg 300mbit

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Is this coming to not-win10 at some point? For something that's nearly a decade old, I expect to play it on a pc I built nearly a decade ago...

Oct 25, 2017
Has this been popular on the Xbox, so far?

I feel like PSO2 finally coming over would be a bigger deal since the original PSO was such a classic many people played for countless hours, but I feel like it's not really talked about much and it gets barely any views on twitch.

Is it just a case of releasing it way too late for US? I mean, it is pretty wild this game initially came out in Japan a year before the Xbox One and PS4... lol

It's 8 years late, so many people likely had their excitement curtailed by Sega's silence on the matter of localization and moved on. That, and a lot of people like myself got our fill in the JP server. PSO was also an innovator in many ways which PSO2 distinctly isn't - it's a fun ARPG with a good combat system and some excellent boss fights but doesn't quite command the same kind of attention its predecessor did.

It will still be an endearing game for many, but Sega didn't quite strike while the iron was hot and I can only hope an eventual PSO3 is prioritized to have a world wide launch instead of this staggered near-decade delay release.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
unknown.png

maybe smart people here know what's up? I refuse to belive it's cyrilics in the path, cuz jp doesn't have such a problem as just about any respectable game ever made.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Anyone knows (or tried) if you can run the launcher.exe directly without the Windows store?

I'm thinking of linking the game to Steam.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
I can run PSO2 from my start menu. You can probably run it directly.

Dormammu

Banned
May 20, 2020
When that beta was out for it a while back I thought it was the most garbage thing ever. Like i've played free Nexon mmo's that were better. Happy for those that do like it though. :)

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
PSo tweaker people plan to add support for NA version, so probably best to wait for that. There's about 200% chance it will work much better than official stuff anyway.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
I didnt even have to change my windows region (im from EU), i just went to this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/phantasy-star-online-2/9P1RSQ5MGPCR signed into my microsoft account, on the game page clicked the ... button and add to cart (not the Get button), "purchased" it for 0, and then i could download it from the microsoft store app in my ready for installation list

Unfortunately didn't work for me (UK). However quick change of region settings to United States and it is downloading now.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah I just remembered this.

unknown.png

Windows 10 Store has no Delta Patching, and thus no respect for Write Operation economy.

SSD Users Beware.
You can else end up with even more writes on an SSD with delta patching than just redownloading a whole container.

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any way to tell this fucking MS Store to install to another location than the windows partition?

I only found out you can change the partition but I want it in a folder of a different partition, not just the root. It also fucks up the partition with lots of folders you can't even erase easily...

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my, I played so much Phantasy Star Online on the GameCube with my brother. Gonna send him the link and see if he wants to give this one a try purely for nostalgia.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Any way to tell this fucking MS Store to install to another location than the windows partition?

I only found out you can change the partition but I want it in a folder of a different partition, not just the root. It also fucks up the partition with lots of folders you can't even erase easily...

No. The MS store does what it wants.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone knows (or tried) if you can run the launcher.exe directly without the Windows store?

I'm thinking of linking the game to Steam.
You can run all apps without the windows 10 store. You never see it again unless you open it up yourself. Only good thing about MS Store tbh.

Oct 25, 2017

You can change the drive/partition, but not the folder. Microsoft Store is designed like a mobile app store where folders are supposed to be irrelevant.