• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
e9LvrJX.jpg

Phantasy Star II released March 21, 1989 in Japan on the Sega Mega Drive. It's March 21, 2019 in Japan right now.

EwByP0X.jpg

At that point in time, Sega of America had not yet announced the Genesis system itself for stateside release. That happened at or around Summer CES 1989 in Chicago.
I'll bet the overwhelming majority of us were not aware of Sega's 16-bit console, the Mega Drive, at the time Phantasy Star II was out in Japan. This was before the modern internet and all.
There might have been mention on USENET newsgroups, but really, our first knowledge was of course, magazines.

EGM had been teasing about Phantasy Star II during Fall 1989 and that winter.

WrFZW51.jpg

IEoHWIF.jpg

8ild8Uh.jpg

Phantasy Star II was a stunning fully sci-fi adventure, rather than the mix of magic, fantasy and sci-fi elements of the original game.

The U.S. finally saw Phantasy Star II released in stores in March, 1990 and it came with a lengthy full color hint book and map.

aY4FFKl.jpg

jf98dde.jpg

Phantasy Star II - A 30 Year Retrospective

-
-

Confirming the March 1990 release on Genesis in the U.S., and impressions, a newsgroup post from the time:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.games.video/vCjeWW4w7DA/qXs21jl4R2AJ

Newsgroups: rec.games.video
Subject: Get Phantasy Star II NOW
Date: 13 Mar 90

"Over the course of my lifetime I have played many a role-playing-game. When Phantasy Star first came out I was blown away by the graphics and complexity for an 8 bit system. I just got Phantasy Star II the other day and I have been blown away into another time zone.

Get this game, get this game NOW!!! Not only is it the best game to come out for the Genesis so far, but IMO one of the best RPG games to come out EVER. True it costs almost $100 but considering the size of this game it should take you several hundred hours to solve. And now more about the game...

With the cartage comes a nice full color map with a complete listing of every single weapon, spell, armor, etc... listed with how much damage it does and who can use it, a 48 page instruction book (which actually isn't all that bad, as opposed to some of their past instruction books), and last but not least, a 114 page full color, bounded hint booklet. This hint booklet is not only beautiful looking and laid out, but is extremely well written as well. However, what really makes this game is the game itself.

First of all is the music. It is absolutely amazing and if your Genesis is hooked up to a stero system, then just sit back and enjoy the tunes. When the numerious menus appear on screen they smoothly scroll on and off. They are also nicely laid out so when you have 5 or 6 menus on the screen at once you can mostly see them all. The combat fun to watch (however a little slow) and the pictures of the monsters make full use of the Genesis's 16 bit power. Probably the most impressive item in this game is the graphics.

The view-from-above shots are nicely done, but it's the pictures of the shop owners, other characters, and mosnters which give this game it's power. Someone must have stayed up many a late night to produce such mind numing graphics. I can't wait to bring my Genesis home over Spring Break and hook it up to my 42 inch screen TV.

If you like RPG games at all then buy this game. If you love RPG games the way I do, then get some cash together, go hop into a car, and drive to your local toy store and buy this game!!! It is truely a feast for the senses."

U.S. print ad:

CIIalpO.jpg

Magazine reviews --

EGM + Video Games & Computer Entertainment
L43KXYs.jpg

GamePro
HVG9SJU.jpg

Computer Gaming World
05sNMgZ.jpg

Game Players
agiqZAN.jpg

Sega Visions
naigWaz.jpg

Raze
4coFOSb.jpg

ACE - Advanced Computer Entertainment

YVYPdXP.jpg

Artwork from the included Hint Book.

odkc9Pz.jpg

Probably the most cryptic thing ever said in official PSII material, that nobody ever mentions... Again, from the hint book.

"During the trip, Nei's skill will become better than the others. You must continue onward, and not worry. Remember, Nei is becoming stronger."

Eg7dS29.jpg

Last edited:

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Damn. I remember coming over my friend's house and having him show me this on his Genesis. Ever since then I've been hooked on the series. Really makes me miss not having a single player Phantasy Star series anymore.

Also, the hell with Sega on not bringing over PSO2 in the West.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I remember coming over my friend's house and having him show me this on his Genesis. Ever since then I've been hooked on the series. Really makes me miss not having a single player Phantasy Star series anymore.

Also, the hell with Sega on not bringing over PSO2 in the West.

As I got informed in another thread, PSO2's english website finally got taken down a bit ago!

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Staple of my childhood. If memory serves me right, I think I tossed the "Dynamite" out of my inventory, and I could not enter a dungeon.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
Every attempt at this game, despite how much I really enjoy the world of Phantasy Star, has always been an utter failure. Then again, the last time I played the game, I was a kid and didn't try at all to understand how to play it.

Definitely gonna give it another go at some point.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
My first real rpg, nothing but great memories, but thankfully I got the guide book with the game otherwise I'd have given up on it pretty quick I think. If they make an Ages version on Switch I'll definitely replay it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like it as much as the SMS original, but it was still easily one of my most anticipated games on the Genesis.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
How was the PS2 remake? I noticed that it got fan translated a while back but never got around to checking it out.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I just recently completed Phantasy Star for the first time via the Sega Ages release, and loved the world (and music) of the game. Have been eyeing the Genesis Classics collection -- this just might be a really good excuse to buy it.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Phenomenal series. Have loved it from the first time playing on the Master System. Phantasy Star 1, 2 and 4 are the highlights for me.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Way to make me feel OLD AS FUCK

I still enjoy playing this..... with maps and more exp/mesetas on the Collection version.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
This is probably my favorite game that I cannot actively enjoy much. The aesthetics, music, setting... basically everything is incredible to me, but so much of it has aged so severely and it is just so intensely punishing (PSI and PSIV have both aged way better imo). I really wish I spent more time with it back when I was a kid.

There are some mods that adjust the difficulty and pacing in various ways, are they worth trying?

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I remember vividly one of my best friends (also, the sega-16.com owner Ken Horowitz) , my brother and me playing the fuck out of this for hours and hours on end. It was a major influence on my gaming experience that still sticks with me until today.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I can't find my hint book anymore...

I'm damn sure I have it though, I would never throw it away, but I can't for the life of me find it. It has to be somewhere in one of my boxes full of random gaming stuff in the garage. I'll try to find it again one of these days.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
This is probably my favorite game that I cannot actively enjoy much. The aesthetics, music, setting... basically everything is incredible to me, but so much of it has aged so severely and it is just so intensely punishing (PSI and PSIV have both aged way better imo). I really wish I spent more time with it back when I was a kid.

There are some mods that adjust the difficulty and pacing in various ways, are they worth trying?
Unfortunately I don't know about the mods, but you're absolutely right about the aging. When I played it many years ago I'd have to grind for an hour before each new dungeon just to survive. I wonder if I was playing it completely wrong?

Either way, the dungeon design was way too complex, and the overlayed piping made it so much worse.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I finished Phantasy Star II within 6 weeks of buying it, mid April 1990 -----> late May 1990. But only because I used the hintbook.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This was my first big RPG videogame experience. I absolutely loved it, but it made me assume all rpgs were as complex in dungeon design. I remember thinking I was just bad at games lol.

Edit: Turns out that competitive shooters and fighting games were the things to prove that I actually AM bad at games.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was there when the NA version came out (well close enough, a few months late because I was still saving up for a Genesis). It was one of my most anticipated sequels ever.

Did it live up to the original? For me it didn't reach those heights but I still really loved it. The first game was more ambitious with its 3d dungeons and battle backgrounds despite being 8-bit. Still, the dark atmosphere in PSII was amazing, and I enjoyed its characters and battle system.

More people need to vote for Phantasy Star games in ERA's next top 100 RPG thread. The franchise got shafted badly last time.

Last edited:

lordmrw

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I was handed a butt naked cartridge and didn't know about the guide book that came with it until I was close to the end. It took me a long time to beat this and while I love it I don't think I could play through it again without mods or patches.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
My first JRPG.. It was my first love in regards to the RPG genre. Truly a revolutionary game for its time!

I remember vividly when I bought it. Was my last day of school and my mom took me to Toys R' Us to get a game for end of school year. This was the most expensive game there too, think we paid 95$ for it back then.. After that me and my best friend spent the entire summer playing it, sorting dungeons out with the hintbook that was included..

FUCK what a great summer that was.

Hint book truly spent a lot of time as reading material for the toilet too LOL.

I must have been 10 at the time.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The battle system is miles better than the first game, it as a lot of options in that regard

The only negative aspect was the dungeon design, but when I was younger I didnt hated it that much since I had more spare time

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I wish Sega would release PS1 and 2 PS2 remasters out West. Tried replaying both PS1 and 2 and haven't aged well. Phantasy Star was my childhood too but nowadays to expose more fans to this series, need to upgrade and polish it up like SE recently did to there old DQ games.

Mansally

Sep 26, 2018
I was virginal to RPGs as well before this one. Series still has one of the most distinguished moods and music of games I've played in that genre.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Still not only my favorite in the series but easily in my top 10 Genesis games list.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish Sega would release PS1 and 2 PS2 remasters out West. Tried replaying both PS1 and 2 and haven't aged well. Phantasy Star was my childhood too but nowadays to expose more fans to this series, need to upgrade and polish it up like SE recently did to there old DQ games.

Are you talking about the Play Station 2 remasters? Because if so from a lot of people I have heard that they are actually worse than the original games

Also, have you tried the sega ages mode in the first Phantasy Star? In that mode the dungeons have a mini map, and the enemies are more scarce while giving more exp and meseta, considerably improving the pacing. (Although making it easier)

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Yeah the game didnt age well even in the 90s. So much grinding...

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely phenomenal game and one of the best classic JRPG stories. Really hope a new SEGA AGES release gives it some new features and introduces it to a new audience, particularly with a new AGES mode to eliminate the need for grinding.

To this day I still think of the ending

The ending is easily one of the best of any RPG.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, have you tried the sega ages mode in the first Phantasy Star? In that mode the dungeons have a mini map, and the enemies are more scarce while giving more exp and meseta, considerably improving the pacing. (Although making it easier)
And it's also worth noting that most of PSI's grinding is at the beginning. Once past that, I think many newcomers find it has aged surprisingly well. It's more accessible than PSII, especially with the Switch remaster's options.

Chris Best

Dec 10, 2017
Remember having it on the Genesis when it first came out and beating the hell out of it. Still one of the best console RPGs I've played.

GrandHarrier

Oct 25, 2017
This game has a special place in my heart.

It captured my imagination as a kid. The story was really bare bones unless you really dug into the environmental story telling. Cut scenes were few and far between but the impressions that I got remains vivid even to this day. It also can't be understated just how powerful I found the key turning points into the plot as well; the first major boss battle (Nei First) and the death of a beloved ally. The moment when the "Government" turns on you, the destruction of an entire planet, and of course that revelation at the end of the game.

A beautiful, flawed gem of a game.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Why would they take the amazing Japan boxart and replace it with absolute crap?
Its like an Ico situation.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I was there when the NA version came out (well close enough, a few months late because I was still saving up for a Genesis). It was one of my most anticipated sequels ever.

I had just finished the first Phantasy Star which I got during winter break. Got the Genesis from my dad in April, and within a couple of weeks, got Phantasy Star II.

My first JRPG.. It was my first love in regards to the RPG genre. Truly a revolutionary game for its time!

My second jRPG.

I remember vividly when I bought it. Was my last day of school and my mom took me to Toys R' Us to get a game for end of school year. This was the most expensive game there too, think we paid 95$ for it back then.. After that me and my best friend spent the entire summer playing it, sorting dungeons out with the hintbook that was included..

My dad and I got it for $86 (with tax) at Toys R' Us. I had noticed the number of Genesis games had increased and Phantasy Star II was there.

It was almost just like this picture (except the order of games).

yfiw39H.jpg

FUCK what a great summer that was.

It SURE WAS!

I must have been 10 at the time.

I was 14.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Man, this was the first RPG I had and I loved it, didn't know English at the time and I always started a new game.
Tried getting back into it recently and damn it's probably the grindiest RPG I've ever played, would love to complete it but it's too much.

Ordinary Rock

Jan 5, 2019
I think I first played this about eight or nine years ago (along with the rest of the series as I did not have Sega systems growing up). There were some things to like, but man was this game a grind.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had just finished the first Phantasy Star which I got during winter break. Got the Genesis from my dad in April, and within a couple of weeks, got Phantasy Star II.

My second jRPG.

My dad and I got it for $86 (with tax) at Toys R' Us. I had noticed the number of Genesis games had increased and Phantasy Star II was there.

It was almost just like this picture (except the order of games).

yfiw39H.jpg

It SURE WAS!

I was 14.
I was 14, too. Your magazine posts are always familiar to me. I think we lived a similar gaming experience at the time.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I loved Phantasy Star II but it's tough to go back to now. Hopefully it's one of the Sega Ages titles announced next week with the proper M2 tweaks to make it more approachable.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just beat the original Phantasy Star. Would totally be down to playing its sequel (and the sequels to the sequel). Hopefully Sega Ages announcements come soon.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm bumping this thread for a few reasons.

The U.S. release of Phantasy Star II happened 30 years ago now (admittedly, I'm a little bit late, perhaps by 6 weeks or so).

I never posted the reviews, but edited some in.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems fitting for this thead to reappear around the time of FFVII returning. FFVII had similarities to PS II, notably:
Nei being killed was the Aeris moment of its time