• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
That's good if that's the case!
Note it'd still likely need to go back through the 'safety' trials at least if any changes needed to be made - much the same way as the flu vaccine gets tweaked each year for different strains, for example. So it would be a setback. Just not a 'back to square one, start again' setback.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
My buddy's wife is the vaccine project lead at BioNTech. Sadly I'm not getting any info earlier than the rest of us, but I already knew weeks ago that they're very confident.
Has she said anything about how that feels? I can imagine on one hand how many scientists feel like they're literally saving the world, but also the pressures of that?

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Has she said anything about how that feels? I can imagine on one hand how many scientists feel like they're literally saving the world, but also the pressures of that?
Well, it's extremely exhausting for one. My buddy works there as well and basically had to be a single dad working from home for a while since she was in the lab almost 24/7. On the other hand she knows how important it is and that's what's giving her the strength to keep going.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
What happens to all the other vaccines in development?

I always assumed China would get there first.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
How about quoting the rest of my post where I give what I think are fair reasons for not taking the results at face value instead of just doing this smarmy emoji stuff.
my thing is snide emoji posts like your thing is obnoxious doomerposting that would be better served being typed in a notepad window that was subsequently closed for all the good it ever does for discussion here

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
What happens to all the other vaccines in development?

I always assumed China would get there first.
They keep going as we likely need multiple candidates released to speed up vaccine distribution.
As for China, they might have already. They have a vaccine selling on the open market. Just not completely trial 3 tested.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Ironically, it's good for once to have many skeptical citizens who don't want to take it right now. Perhaps I can be one of the first on the line (also my work requires me to face people, so I should be prioritized).

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I'm not sure if someone already posted it, but Wendover did a great video on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byW1GExQB84

It's tricky but not impossible, definitely not for Western countries. It helps that Pfizer can ship the vaccine in a box that keeps the vaccines cold enough for 10 days.

I appreciate the link. I heard some of these vaccines needed to be kept super cold during transport, but didn't know they seem to be on top of it (at least in the West). I will check out the video now.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Trump so proud of the Vaccine. Until then though, gonna try to kill as many people as possible! Hell still two months left to improve his high score.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
Great news!

Something I wonder about is: what is the recommendation for people like me who've had Covid already?

I know they're able to essentially increase the immune response from the vaccine to be more than what it would be naturally, but I haven't seen any official guidance yet in this regard.

Like, even though I know I've already had it and T-Cell data appears to be very good long term so far, I feel like I won't be completely comfortable going out until I know I've had the vaccine and the best possible protection.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The BioNTech HQs adress is located in a street called "An der Goldgrube" which literally translates to At the Gold Mine. Seems like they really struck gold.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Waiting for my country's health department to speak up on what vaccines we should even consider looking forward to... :(

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
So if we have a viable vaccine around the corner doesn't it make even more sense to try and slow the spread now? We are going to have 100k+ Unnecessary deaths in the United States.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
So assuming this timeline sticks, we'll see the general public have access to a vaccine EOY 2021?

Miracle workers.

End of year? No way.
Mid 2021 you'd probably see numbers at %30+ of the world population already vaccinated, considering production on these vaccines has been ongoing since early in the pandemic.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
Once all this rolls out, I expect the new normal will be to take an updated covid vaccine every year with your flu shot, at least for the first few years.

Oct 27, 2017
The logistics of this vaccine seem like a nightmare, quite frankly. You need ultra cold storage and transport and you're going to require people to reliably get 2 doses?

Hopefully this means that some of the other companies making vaccines can have just as good of success without the crazy storage/cold chain requirements and maybe as a single dose.

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
Does anyone know the timing for when things could be back to normal if this gets approved? In US and Canada?

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Biden won't have to deal with Covid.

Unfortunately people are referring to the vaccine as "The Mark of the Beast" so Biden will have to deal with vaccines skeptics and hyper religious people instead.

I know these people have always existed but it feels like there's far more now.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah those requirements seems tough to manage for sure especially at the volumes we need to innoculate the country

Hopefully they can engineer an easier solution with the same reliability

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
End of year? No way.
Mid 2021 you'd probably see numbers at %30+ of the world population already vaccinated, considering production on these vaccines has been ongoing since early in the pandemic.
Pfizer itself is only predicting 1.3 billion doses by the end of 2021, so that is 650 million people. AstraZeneca is aiming at 3 billion by EOY 2021 which would mean another 1.5 billion people. Moderna thinks it can do one billion per year, and that is a one shot IIRC so that is about 3 billion by EOY 2021 by the three major candidates.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Pfizer itself is only predicting 1.3 billion doses by the end of 2021, so that is 650 million people. AstraZeneca is aiming at 3 billion by EOY 2021 which would mean another 1.5 billion people.

What about Johnson & Johnson, CanSino, and the Russian vaccine?

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Right. Like that's par for the course with a flu shot as well. They give you a heads up that you might feel like shit for a day or two and then it's business-as-usual.
A close friend of mine is in a different COVID vaccine trial here in the UK, and he felt awful (chills, shakes, sensitive skin, headache) the day after receiving what he's pretty sure was the vaccine - not the placebo - but after 24 hours he was back to normal.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
What about Johnson & Johnson, CanSino, and the Russian vaccine?
Johnson & Johnson doesn't predict be available in Q1, the Russian vaccine lost its license, CanSino only predicted 300 million doses per year initially.

A close friend of mine is in a different COVID vaccine trial here in the UK, and he felt awful (chills, shakes, sensitive skin, headache) the day after receiving what he's pretty sure was the vaccine - not the placebo - but after 24 hours he was back to normal.
I know at least one of the major trials is using meningitis vaccines as the placebo. They hit hard.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, that's disappointing.
Do remember that by that time we will have access to a lot of fast testing capacity, that the hospital system would be protected as the staff has the vaccine, that first world countries are going to be getting their vaccines sooner as they already have deals in place, ... so it will be a different situation already.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I saw a feature on 60 Minutes last night about the task force that's getting ready to send vaccines out - it's a brutally tough task, and they can only do so much.

They said they need drastic amounts of cold storage to deliver - which is a huge logistics concern. Then... you have the issue of availability... they interviewed the head of the NJ response team, and she said she would get roughly 100,000 doses, good enough for 50,000 people initially - she needs about 500,000 just for medical personnel and workers.

It's going to be a while before the average citizen can get this stuff... but every bit helps, and slowly but surely we will get there.