• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla filed to sell millions of dollars of his company's stock Monday -- the day the pharmaceutical giant announced positive data about its coronnavirus vaccine.

The company's shares soared after Pfizer and European drug company BioNTech said early data suggests the vaccine could be more than 90% effective.

The transaction was part of a regularly scheduled plan set up by Bourla to periodically sell some of his Pfizer shares.

Bourla sold 132,508 Pfizer shares at a price of US$41.94, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. That works out to proceeds of nearly $5.6 million.

A Pfizer spokeswoman said in an email to CNN Business that the sale took place because Pfizer shares hit a predetermined price as part of a plan authorized by Bourla on August 19.

When asked if Pfizer and Bourla thought to cancel the stock sale due to the perception that Bourla might be cashing in on good news, the spokeswoman said that "these are predetermined plans managed through a third-party stock administrator."

Many executives sell stock at predetermined intervals to diversify their portfolios. But they can delay the sales to avoid appearances of capitalizing on one-off events that can boost company's shares.

Bouria told CNN's Sanjay Gupta that he learned of the trial's results Sunday, a day before they were made public.

www.ctvnews.ca

Pfizer CEO sold US$5.6M in stock the day he announced promising vaccine news

Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla filed to sell millions of dollars of his company's stock Monday -- the day the pharmaceutical giant announced positive data about its coronnavirus vaccine.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i wish i could make millions of dollars at predetermined intervals

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017

Quite a coincidence, though? And Moderna earlier in the year, had a similar coincidence.

The Pfizer stock sale comes just a few months after executives at Moderna, a biotech also working on a COVID-19 vaccine, sold shares following the release of promising trial results. Critics accused Moderna of overhyping the vaccine trial results, but the company nonetheless raised US$1.3 billion in a stock sale immediately following the vaccine trial announcement. Executives then executed a series of transactions worth tens of millions of dollars before the company's share price fizzled a week later.

Some former SEC officials called on Moderna to be investigated for potential illegal market manipulation.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's a big sum, but probably wouldn't have been the best sell off time. It's not there most suspect time(normally you'd expect insiders to sell before bad news, not good news).

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this is a problem. He set a target price to sell at. They announced the news, stock jumped, hit the target and auto-executed. This is pretty standard stuff, I've done this myself. It all feels like an attempt to make drama out of a nothingburger.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't see a problem with a CEO selling on good news. As long as that news is actually true. The problem comes when they sell on bad news before the news goes live. That's when heads need to start rolling.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
He had a standing sale order on a predetermined price. Nothing sinister here other than that this kind of money is out of reach for the regular man. But then again, he is the CEO of the company whose vaccine will save potentially millions of lives, not the regular guy in the street.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
He could also time the announcement to his regular stock sell if he knew the Goodwill and hype would provide a momentary boost.

But it's not these CEOs aren't breaking FTC rules all the time

Yeeeeeah, I don't think the odds that he was keeping news of a successful vaccine bottled up until his scheduled sell-off is very likely.

I don't think anyone right now would have the confidence to try and keep "WE'VE GOT A VACCINE!" under their hat for more than, what, maybe a week?

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Yeeeeeah, I don't think the odds that he was keeping news of a successful vaccine bottled up until his scheduled sell-off is very likely.

I don't think anyone right now would have the confidence to try and keep "WE'VE GOT A VACCINE!" under their hat for more than, what, maybe a week?
That's the thing. It isn't a successful vaccine. It's a statement that says we are 90% there....for less than a hundred patients we've tested it on. We are still several months away from a successful vaccine, so his statement is just good PR, which can help provide short term gains in the stock market.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It hasn't even gone up yet in stocks, I bought a stock months ago, probably won't go up until they get it out and make deals with this

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Just like with Moderna, the timing is suspect. So let's say the CEO knows his plan will sell shares on that date. Maybe he delays an announcement to get the most hype at just the right time. Maybe he rushes an announcement to get hype in time for his stock sales.

He sold at $41.94. The 52-week high is $41.99. The stock is now $38.50.

Lv99 Slacker

Oct 27, 2017
Until the vaccine is actually ready and available, I'll regard any news of its efficacy as a pump and dump scheme.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just like with Moderna, the timing is suspect. So let's say the CEO knows his plan will sell shares on that date. Maybe he delays an announcement to get the most hype at just the right time. Maybe he rushes an announcement to get hype in time for his stock sales.

They set a price in 2019. They announce good news about the vaccine. The stock skyrockets along with the rest of the stock market as soon as the news hits, triggering the sale along the way.

Nothing in there is weird.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela

Conspiracy Era outdoing itself again. Jesus Christ...

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
As long as he sold after the announcement, I don't really see any problem with this.

wouldn't it be stupid to sell before a good announcement?

you can easily set a price to sell at and just let it ride until it hits a price you want it to hit.

I have stocks in Sony. It is less than 50 right now. If I schedule it to sell at 1000 a share, it would never sell unless it actually hit 1000 for some reason. But it would if it did and if I did it 10 years ago it would

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
If he is lying and then sells stocks, he becomes criminally liable personally. So this makes it less likely they are lying about the results.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Why would I as a company, decide to hold off on the sale because of what it be seen as? The proof is there that it was predetermined. What a dumb thought

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I know this was pre-determined plan but is no one really wondering why actually Pfizer decided to share the news on that day where CEO was supposed to sell his stock?

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to figure out what the nefarious part would be if he sold it on purpose when the good news broke. He has a bunch of stock, good news breaks, he sells it to make money, and?

Oct 25, 2017
They set a price in 2019. They announce good news about the vaccine. The stock skyrockets along with the rest of the stock market as soon as the news hits, triggering the sale along the way.

Nothing in there is weird.

The plan schedules sells on a specific schedule. He could have purposely with held the press release to better time it for his schedule stock sell of

If the plan was based around a strike/sale price then it's different

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I know this was pre-determined plan but is no one really wondering why actually Pfizer decided to share the news on that day where CEO was supposed to sell his stock?
He didn't put in a date, he put in a price. Meaning, sell X amount when price reaches Y. if that is mid-October, sell mid-October. If it is mid-November, sell mid-November. So if he announced it a week earlier, it would have sold a week earlier.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Warp Speed director has $10M stock in one of the vaccines companies

Liz Warren wanted him out. He says it's his retirement fund and is going to give all the post-covid profits to charity

These people are already multimillionaires. I'm not sure what an extra 6-10 million does for them

I'm trying to figure out what the nefarious part would be if he sold it on purpose when the good news broke. He has a bunch of stock, good news breaks, he sells it to make money, and?
Well the "90% effective" is based on an Interim Analysis

So if it doesn't end up being 90% effective in the gen pop . . . you just made ~$6M on a hyped up science brag

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Where are people getting that it was a predetermined price? Pfizer says the sale was at a predetermined time.

"The sale of these shares is part of Dr. Bourla's personal financial planning and a pre-established (10b5-1) plan, which allows, under SEC rules, major shareholders and insiders of exchange-listed corporations to trade a predetermined number of shares at a predetermined time," a Pfizer spokesperson said in a statement.

br.reuters.com

Reuters | Breaking International News & Views

Find latest news from every corner of the globe at Reuters.com, your online source for breaking international news coverage.

Oct 25, 2017
Where are people getting that it was a predetermined price? Pfizer says the sale was at a predetermined time.

"The sale of these shares is part of Dr. Bourla's personal financial planning and a pre-established (10b5-1) plan, which allows, under SEC rules, major shareholders and insiders of exchange-listed corporations to trade a predetermined number of shares at a predetermined time," a Pfizer spokesperson said in a statement.

br.reuters.com

Reuters | Breaking International News & Views

Find latest news from every corner of the globe at Reuters.com, your online source for breaking international news coverage.

In the story OP shared the spokesperson claims it was by price

In the NPR story I read they said it was "predetermined time"

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
He didn't put in a date, he put in a price. Meaning, sell X amount when price reaches Y. if that is mid-October, sell mid-October. If it is mid-November, sell mid-November. So if he announced it a week earlier, it would have sold a week earlier.

That would explain everything. I haven't heard of that earlier. Do you have any source on that?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
That would explain everything. I haven't heard of that earlier. Do you have any source on that?
It is there in the OP, combined with a bit of knowledge I have on how this works. Unless you are desperate, you always put in a specific minimum when selling or a maximum when buying.

A Pfizer spokeswoman said in an email to CNN Business that the sale took place because Pfizer shares hit a predetermined price as part of a plan authorized by Bourla on August 19.

Magneton

Banned
Jul 31, 2018
I'm surprised (even though I really shouldn't be) that there are so many people in this thread dismissing this shadiness. From this NPR article:

Daniel Taylor, an expert in insider trading and an associate professor of accounting at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, has closely monitored stock trades by executives at companies developing coronavirus vaccines. He told NPR that the close timing between the adoption of Bourla's stock plan and the press release looked "very suspicious."

"It's wholly inappropriate for executives at pharmaceutical companies to be implementing or modifying 10b5-1 plans the business day before they announce data or results from drug trials," Taylor said.