• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 34802

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Anti-vax rhetoric, trolling
haha it's funny to see the sheep following blindly to the big pharmaceutical companies. Of course they want to keep the cash rolling in.

Trump wasn't too crazy after all. Let's get vaccines for all the virus variants out there, oh wait.... only the popular ones

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
haha it's funny to see the sheep following blindly to the big pharmaceutical companies. Of course they want to keep the cash rolling in.

Trump wasn't too crazy after all. Let's get vaccines for all the virus variants out there, oh wait.... only the popular ones

do you know what you're talking about or is this just tales from your ass

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
Yeah now this is something I'm actually interested in. That vaccine seems to have a lot more considerations than reacting to the latest variant outbreak.
AFAIK the Walter Reed vaccine is just tech to deliver multiple epitopes of different strains.

Everyone who thinks it's going to magically predict and protect against future variants are going to be so, so disappointed. At best, it'll be an educated guessing game like the flu virus (based on data trends from the southern hemisphere so it's still just reacting to the latest variants)

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

When you don't trust Pfizer, urine trouble now.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Man for me, im just glad to be living in an era when these types of life saving vaccines can be made. Like, out of 2 shots and then the booster, the biggest "annoyance" was spamming refresh right at midnight and hoping to get an appointment back in April when my age group was first authorized. And we've all done that for far less important matters.

It's also weird that some people still expected or expect these vaccines to be 100% infallible cure-alls and despite various mutations and variants of the virus, preventative measures are supposed to be static and not progress as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm just not loving this direction right now. New variants pop up so fast and by the time this is out there, I suspect there will be a new variant. We can't be getting new shots every few months its just unrealistic

we're heading to somethjng very likely where we need to get a yearly shot. I mean we do that right now anyways if that is what it takes to live our lives, then so be it

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
i feel that vaccine hesitancy (aka being an asshole) will increase over time as we have to take more shots while inevitable variants appear "out of nowhere"

smh

It's just as likely that it decreases due to nearly the whole country getting vaccines with almost no downsides and mounting evidence that they vaccines keep you from dying or serious effects.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You know... at this point if people want to pretend once a year is some crazy thing when we get flu shots every year and its great. Or pretend that a vaccine being given as a series of shots is some crazy thing, when many of our vaccines are many more doses than just one.... fuck it. You do you.

Imma get all the boosters available and boost my protection. More for me.
Seriously. I don't think most people realize what it took for them toget vaccinated when they were young. Here's the vaccine schedule for children in my province:

AgeVaccine
2 months
  • DTaP-IPV-Hib-HB
  • Pneumococcal conjugate (Pneu-C13)
  • Rotavirus
4 months
  • DTaP-IPV-Hib-HB
  • Meningococcal conjugate (MenconC)
  • Rotavirus
6 months
  • DTaP-IPV-Hib-HB
  • Pneumococcal conjugate (Pneu-C13) (for high risk children only)
  • Rotavirus
6 months and older
  • Influenza (annually)
12 months
  • MMR-Var
18 months
  • DTaP-IPV-Hib
  • MMR-Var

Also, Malcolm9 all you need to do is apply the same logic we've used regarding the covid vaccine to the flu vaccine. The idea is that we should all get it to protect not only ourselves but everyone else in our community.

The mentality of "if you're at risk then you get it" is so selfish. Your immune system comment leads me to believe you've never had the actual flu.

Last edited:

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Seriously. I don't think most people realize what it took for them toget vaccinated when they were young. Here's the vaccine schedule for children in my province:

AgeVaccine
2 months
  • DTaP-IPV-Hib-HB
  • Rotavirus
4 months
  • DTaP-IPV-Hib-HB
  • Rotavirus
6 months
  • DTaP-IPV-Hib-HB
  • Rotavirus
6 months and older
  • Influenza (annually)
12 months
  • MMR-Var
18 months
  • DTaP-IPV-Hib
  • MMR-Var

Also, Malcolm9 all you need to do is apply the same logic we've used regarding the covid vaccine to the flu vaccine. The idea is that we should all get it to protect not only ourselves but everyone else in our community.

The mentality of "if you're at risk then you get it" is so selfish. Your immune system comment leads me to believe you've never had the actual flu.

I've had the flu quite a few times in my life, the worst I had it was around my 14 birthday back in '94, I was bed bound for about a week.

I'm not being selfish to clarify, in the UK I've never been told to get the flu vaccine in my life, it's always been a voluntary thing and has been associated with anyone deemed as vulnerable. I've never had anyone in healthcare tell me that it stopped the spread of the flu etc. It's only since the emergence of covid that this has come to light.

Most people I know who've had the flu have just come into work believing they can soldier on rather than resting up and allowing their body to fight it. My boss is guilty of that as she doesn't believe in being off sick, which is ridiculous. To be fair she's the most narcissistic person I've ever met.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Is that not weird? No plan or goals, just do it and we'll see what happens

besides the vaccine manufacturers and the media, shit is starting to become incredibly confusing, let's see what the CDC says.

Uhh just do it and we'll see what happens makes complete sense.

Adapting the vaccine and updating it even if you don't know exactly how it'll eventually get used is a really good idea

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

AgeVaccine
2 months
  • DTaP-IPV-Hib-HB
  • Rotavirus
4 months
  • DTaP-IPV-Hib-HB
  • Rotavirus
6 months
  • DTaP-IPV-Hib-HB
  • Rotavirus
6 months and older
  • Influenza (annually)
12 months
  • MMR-Var
18 months
  • DTaP-IPV-Hib
  • MMR-Var

True but I think it's kinda crazy now when I see healthy young adults look at the smallest differences of protection the different vaccines give like its a deal breaker. One being young and healthy is already a great defence.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
I had my second pfizer shot last July, I got Covid last week and it kicked my ass, fever, coughing, stayed in bed for 4 days. I thought the vaccine's effect would last longer than that. Gonna get my third shot in the next two weeks, I'll get one every 6 months if I have too, Covid sucks.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Bit late for me.
Only have a mild case of Covid, just the usual cold things, but it was still shit lmao.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
You're telling my i have to get my car serviced every year? What's even the point. It's not even 100% effective at preventing it from breaking down. And I also have wear a seatbelt still when I drive anyway? I know someone who died in a car crash wearing a seatbelt so I don't see the point.

sorry wrong thread.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Some experts say we should want omicron to take over completely, though.
Kind of mixed on this too. If Omicron really is more like a bad cold (like the other coronaviruses) for the vaccinated, then it may be better to stick to the devil you know rather than kill it in its tracks and end up with a Delta variant taking over again.

Then again 1. you probably can't kill an upper respiratory virus that spreads presymptomatically with an arm jab dead in its tracks anyway, 2. these extra vaccines may not really be intended for the genpop anyway, but for the immunocompromised/elderly for whom it's worse than a bad cold. That way we keep this variant but neutralize it.

Oct 25, 2017
I think its less about general hesitancy on vaccines than the source (and the status of that source). If this was a press release in conjunction with the WHO or CDC it would be a bit different. We've got no words on trials, not even a well regarded scientist weighing in.

Just a fucking CEO, lol.

WHat, you don't like your medical news to feel like a hot new game or movie release? That's where I'm at with this, if we need the shots then fine but I don't love how it's been going of "X has new vaccine ready". Shouldn't we just be treating them like we do Flu at this point? You don't get to pick your flu vaccine provider, it's just whatever they got.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
WHat, you don't like your medical news to feel like a hot new game or movie release? That's where I'm at with this, if we need the shots then fine but I don't love how it's been going of "X has new vaccine ready". Shouldn't we just be treating them like we do Flu at this point? You don't get to pick your flu vaccine provider, it's just whatever they got.
You say that but I'm still salty I went from the superior Modernation to be one of the Pfizer shysters after my booster.

(/s)

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
True but I think it's kinda crazy now when I see healthy young adults look at the smallest differences of protection the different vaccines give like its a deal breaker. One being young and healthy is already a great defence.

You realize covid can damage your body long term right? Such as being young and healthy and getting covid and then hey you are more at risk for diabetes now

Persons aged <18 years with COVID-19 were more likely to receive a new diabetes diagnosis >30 days after infection than were those without COVID-19 and those with prepandemic acute respiratory infections.

so if getting a shot or an extra shot prevents your young healthy body from getting diabetes from covid fucking up that young healthy body... Why wouldn't you?

just because your body beats something on its own doesn't mean you are fine after with no lasting effects. When we have a safe and effective vaccines, why fuck around and find out?

Oct 25, 2017
*snip*

I've never had anyone in healthcare tell me that it stopped the spread of the flu etc. It's only since the emergence of covid that this has come to light.

*snip*

Let's be clear here, this has always been the case and widely known. I'm glad that you eventually got to learn more about the benefits of a flu shot and hopefully healthcare professionals around you have improved in how they educate their patients.

It might not have clicked right away but I bet you've herd the phrase herd immunity or community immunity before? It's not something only achieved through natural immune responses to infections but also and more likely because of vaccines.

Last edited:

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You realize covid can damage your body long term right? Such as being young and healthy and getting covid and then hey you are more at risk for diabetes now

Persons aged <18 years with COVID-19 were more likely to receive a new diabetes diagnosis >30 days after infection than were those without COVID-19 and those with prepandemic acute respiratory infections.

so if getting a shot or an extra shot prevents your young healthy body from getting diabetes from covid fucking up that young healthy bo
dy... Why wouldn't you?

just because your body beats something on its own doesn't mean you are fine after with no lasting effects. When we have a safe and effective vaccines, why fuck around and find out?

I didn't say not get the shot. I said debating over which brand of the variant has the best protection over small percentages or worrying when one can get the booster is unnecessary.

I'm not sure the relevance of the diabetes story when you can get covid Vaccine or not.

The people that really need to worry are the vulnerable.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pro-vax but this is getting tiresome.

I'm prepared to get a shot every year but this new one seems silly to me after getting 3 shots already.

If it's used, knock yourselves out though.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I didn't say not get the shot. I said debating over which brand of the variant has the best protection over small percentages or worrying when one can get the booster is unnecessary.

I'm not sure the relevance of the diabetes story when you can get covid Vaccine or not.

The people that really need to worry are the vulnerable.

You said being young and healthy is a great defense, when we have evidence as I linked that those young healthy folks are more at risk for Diabetes after Covid. Being young and healthy is not a great defense.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017

As long as variants continu to be dangerous for our health they will continu to make updated vaccines. They are very easy to update and work very well. Chances are that variants will continu to become less dangerous (as seems to be the case with Omicron). So maybe we won't need vaccines for this virus anymore in the near future (or maybe just older people and weakened people, like with flu shots). What's so hard to grasp about this? And Trump is vaccinated and will continu to be vaccinated.

Of course, you are completely in charge of your own life. So if you want to rely on your immune system, be my guest.

To be clear, nobody really wants this. Most of us just think covid poses a too big of a threat to our health. We all want to get back to normal.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You said being young and healthy is a great defense, when we have evidence as I linked that those young healthy folks are more at risk for Diabetes after Covid. Being young and healthy is not a great defense.

It's a great defence against the risk of hospitalisation or death and debating which Vaccine lasts longest shouldn't be a thing.

A young healthy adult even without a Vaccine can get through this. An older adult healthy or not may not make it.

The positions the young and older at when it comes to the risks of covid are not on the same page.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
I have to admit iv just had my booster last week but I don't think I would get this one aswell isn't omicron supposed to be less severe

Nov 8, 2017
The vaccine hesitancy in this thread is weird. I just had my booster last week and I'd take an Omicron booster as soon as I'm offered one. A jab takes less than an hour out of my day, including traveling to and from the location.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
God damn half the people in this thread coming in to share their completely and willfully misinformed opinions above how COVID and the vaccines work ISTG.

I have to admit iv just had my booster last week but I don't think I would get this one aswell isn't omicron supposed to be less severe
Omicron. Is. More. Severe. Than. COVID. Classic.

There are conflicting reports but that is the current consensus. Until such time as data to the contrary becomes available we should be treating it with similar respect to the original instead of letting how much worse Delta is warp our perspective.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I've heard this but I'm not sure what it's based on.
This paper seems to give some corroboration that it is weaker:
www.biorxiv.org

Compared with SARS-CoV2 wild type’s spike protein, the SARS-CoV2 omicron’s receptor binding motif has adopted a more SARS-CoV1 and/or bat/civet-like structure

Our study focuses on free energy calculations of SARS-CoV2 spike protein receptor binding motives (RBMs) from wild type and variants-of-concern with particular emphasis on currently emerging SARS- CoV2 omicron variants of concern (VOC). Our computational free energy analysis underlines the...
And real world data also does not show similar severity as wild type, although of course many people have some immunity now (which again begs the question what the meaning of the word 'severity' entails). Personally I think WHO is just cautious. Rightfully so probably, but no reason to consider this a fact.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
What sucks is that its tough to parse if its in good faith or just another way to repackage the vaccines they have now to up the bottom line
Tbh, if there's a Pharma company that does not need bottom line padding, it's Pfizer with their money printing Covid vaccines and now Covid pills. And also, clear real-world evidence has shown that while the boosters reduce the severity of symptomatic disease from omicron, it is not preventing it.

Carcosan Stag

Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
To the people in this thread taking this seriously and acknowledging the sound medical reasons and science behind this new shot (I'll be getting it as well!), thank you.

To all the others.. Man.. There are so many people in this thread kinda hemming and hawing about "oh poor me I have to get my boosters and future vaccine shots too wah wah wahh" Get over your fucking selves, selfish assholes. So much complaining!!

This pandemic is a marathon, not a sprint.

As someone that loves and takes care of an immunocompromised individual, seeing all this hesitancy and pearl-clutching about the new shot is fucking infuriating. I've seen this kinda rhetoric tossed around in other threads and I've always held my tongue but god I am sick of it. It's like you people have never dealt with hardship before, so the least bit of inconvenience with getting frequent shots for a frequently evolving virus is just a bridge too far.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
God damn half the people in this thread coming in to share their completely and willfully misinformed opinions above how COVID and the vaccines work ISTG.

There are conflicting reports but that is the current consensus. Until such time as data to the contrary becomes available we should be treating it with similar respect to the original instead of letting how much worse Delta is warp our perspective.
Dont be calling me out when you say yourself there is conflicting reports sorry if I'm not on top of covid news 100% every day