• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah well

Why the apology videos then? He understands when he is shown

He may be 29 - but spends all his time posting videos for kids. The little history he knows he is probably told by others. He has no higher education. It is that simple imo
What apology video?

Only videos I have seen are where he spends 20 seconds saying 'yeah I suppose I shouldn't have done that and I will be better' before spending 10 minutes attacking the press for saying he is a Nazi, even though the press don't do that and instead just point out the facts and say he needs to be careful with his child audience being impressionable.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah well

He may be 29 - but spends all his time posting videos for kids. The little history he knows he is probably told by others. He has no higher education. It is that simple imo
He's done "apology" videos all the time and then does the same shit. I know high school dropouts that know not to do or say stupid shit.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, he spends all his time making videos for kids. There's no way he could have learned what Nazis did or that white supremacists are bad.

Good Lord. This is absurd.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
What apology video?

Only videos I have seen are where he spends 20 seconds saying 'yeah I suppose I shouldn't have done that and I will be better' before spending 10 minutes attacking the press for saying he is a Nazi, even though the press don't do that and instead just point out the facts and say he needs to be careful with his child audience being impressionable.
Seriously. Plus, if at this point your defense is "he doesn't know any better and hasn't learned from previous mistakes", isn't it irresponsible to allow him such a big platform with an impressionable young audience?

And that's without even getting into the what happened with the Wall Street Journal or the teacher who dared to discuss him with their students.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Garbage? Talk about judgemental. You, with your superior morals, feel you should judge who is garbage?

He is just really uneducated and does not understand what he posts and jokes about. He does not know or understand history. That makes him act stupid in some cases

He should have an educated producer to filter out the most stupid stuff

Btw you dont seem too educated yourself based on that post

Poor guy can't afford proper education. Let's all chip in and help him out. Maybe then he will stop being a racist shithead one day. Or not.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

The apology videos are to keep sponsors happy. And even then they are 90% blaming other people and the press.

And my daughter is 9. Not 29. And she knows that "Death to Jews" isn't funny and that there are some words your can't say because they are hurtful. And you can be sure that I am not letting her watch any of his videos because I don't want her to in the future to feel these things are "Just a joke".

Gomography

Alt-account.
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
In swedish schools you spend the majority of history lessons on world war 2 for at least 6 years and it's definately something you talk about frequently for 12 (!) years in school. You are basically taught the horrors of the nazis, the background and the persecution of jews at least a couple of days per week. You get some lessons about Stalin as well buy mostly it's just WW2 for twelve years.

People of pewdiepies age has normally met a couple of actual survivors through school (kids now don't get the same opportunity for obvious reasons). Did he skip school completely from the age of 7? Being "uneducated" is not an excuse he can pull in this case.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
White privilege in action.

Reminder to anyone say he make the apologize vids. This is the same guy who send money to some Indian to make them hold a sign say: "Death to all Jew".

Why the fuck do you want to defend this man again ?

And no, I don't give a single fuck about how he frame that, at best he is an asshole and a racist, at worst, he is anti-Semitism. Both make him a horrible person, and I have no problem in saying if he somehow disappear tomorrow, the world will be a better place for it.

P/s: I'm hope posters defend him in this thread are young kids, if not then the world is fucked

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Laughing so much at the excuses here, ''he makes videos so he doesn't have time to learn about the horrors of the nazi regime!'' while he makes friends and promotes white supremacists and alt-right pundits.

Maybe I'm just jelly of his money or something.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I just watched PDP's response and....it seems that people are really overreacting?

Yeah he recommended ER's videos for their anime breakdown and didn't clock their weird Nazi lingo, which I didn't even clock because these alt right guys have come up with some weird shit. Yeah he has a responsibility to be more careful and he acknowledges it, but that doesn't make him complicit with Nazi sympathisers like the chap in the OPs video tries to state.

He has removed reference to ER in his video now and he admits it. A bit late but honestly, it's a mistake I could have made and I get where he's coming from. What's worrying though are the commentators on Hassans video and all the comments like cuck, sjw etc. YouTube comments are besieged by these idiots.

I don't agree with him on the BF5 stuff though. I think that shit is mired by incels and people with an agenda crying about an agenda in BF5.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I just watched PDP's response and....it seems that people are really overreacting?

Yeah he recommended ER's videos for their anime breakdown and didn't clock their weird Nazi lingo, which I didn't even clock because these alt right guys have come up with some weird shit. Yeah he has a responsibility to be more careful and he acknowledges it, but that doesn't make him complicit with Nazi sympathisers like the chap in the OPs video tries to state.

He has removed reference to ER in his video now and he admits it. A bit late but honestly, it's a mistake I could have made and I get where he's coming from. What's worrying though are the commentators on Hassans video and all the comments like cuck, sjw etc. YouTube comments are besieged by these idiots.

I don't agree with him on the BF5 stuff though. I think that shit is mired by incels and people with an agenda crying about an agenda in BF5.
Have you e er heard of the term 'hiding your power level'?

It's where alt right/nazis hide their true intent and use alt right talking points and arguments without acknowledging that it's that and slowly turn people to their cause. What happens is people will kepp defending them by saying things like 'he's only joking' and eventually they start to side with those ideas and then become part of the team.

That's why people argue that PDP is dangerous because when you have a millionaire who has all of the tools needed to be better then this, repeatedly do things straight out of the alt right playbook and every time he will gloss over any actual apology to instead criticise the people coming out saying why the things he does are harmful.

Either he is an alt right enabler or alt right himself, either way he is harmful to the millions of people who follow and defend him like a cult.

Personally he has does this so many times now that I don't believe it is by mistake, he continues to do stuff like this and is friends with outright bigots so he lost any defense he may have once had.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's where alt right/nazis hide their true intent and use alt right talking points and arguments without acknowledging that it's that and slowly turn people to their cause. What happens is people will kepp defending them by saying things like 'he's only joking' and eventually they start to side with those ideas and then become part of the team.

That's why people argue that PDP is dangerous because when you have a millionaire who has all of the tools needed to be better then this, repeatedly do things straight out of the alt right playbook and every time he will gloss over any actual apology to instead criticise the people coming out saying why the things he does are harmful.

Either he is an alt right enabler or alt right himself, either way he is harmful to the millions of people who follow and defend him like a cult.

Personally he has does this so many times now that I don't believe it is by mistake, he continues to do stuff like this and is friends with outright bigots so he lost any defense he may have once had.

To be fair, I don't really follow him so I don't know much about his associations with other bigots. Just on this case alone I thought people were overreacting but if there's a history of him doing this shit then yeah, that's messed up considering how big he is.

More disheartening though are how YouTube comments are full of losers commenting thinking they are edge lords with cuckand SJW labels being bandied about. Again I don't follow this shit closely but these guys always give the impression to me of them being the biggest social recluses ever. I don't get why the world isn't ridiculing them on YouTube etc?

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happens is people will kepp defending them by saying things like 'he's only joking' and eventually they start to side with those ideas and then become part of the team.
It's awful to see it happening in real time too. A friend of mine got married to this dude, military with Hitler youth style haircut. She slowly starts carrying a gun in everyday life, talking about how feminists aren't actually fighting for betterment of humans but the subjugation of men, weird stuff like that. Now she's married to this dude and moved even further away. Like this alt right creep redpilled 3 friends of mine now. It's awful how easily they can inception people like this.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017

This.

If it was the first and only incident, I'd say everyone was massively overreacting, but it's not and they aren't. His pattern of behaviour is pretty obvious to anyone who knows what to look for.

I've lost all respect for a number of YouTubers I previously liked, who've made videos defending him on this issue. He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt and it's gotten to the point where I'm not willing to give it to the channels going out of their way to defend him either.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I don't really follow him so I don't know much about his associations with other bigots.
Then why rush in here with an attempt to defend him? In the time it took you to type up your defense you could have looked him up and educated yourself but the need to complain about people "overreacting" was just too powerful huh?

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The most recent one wasn't even an apology, basically him saying he wasn't wrong because reasons. It's down tight disturbing people are okay with this.

After just watching a few minutes, that guy seems like he's got his head on straight. What's he doing for regular content`?
edit oh god the downvotes. It's literally a social media army.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there some sort of summary for every blunder pdp has done? Like, a list to have at hand every time you encounter a fan that keeps denying and wants to see more examples. Feels like it needs to be done at this point if it doesn't exist already.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
He's just shoving his middle finger in your face for disrupting his activity now...

I still think it's dumb to think he IS a Nazi btw, that is a misreading of how he does his content. He is however provoking intentionally by using nazism as a meme because he knows it is offensive and wants to trigger people.

Oct 31, 2017
Wtf really? That's fucked.

Yes but

boogie2988_middle_by_digi_matrix-db3h3ud.gif

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's really crazy how some here talk about this terrible man-child like they know him personally, just off of watching his videos. Human psychology sure is weird sometimes. Most people who did even half the shit people confront PDP with, would be persona non grata in basically all of civil society, but nope, if my favourite Youtuber does is, then it's all somehow just ignorance, and the burden is on people calling him out to "educate" him. What a load of bollocks.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It's really crazy how some here talk about this terrible man-child like they know him personally, just off of watching his videos. Human psychology sure is weird sometimes. Most people who did even half the shit people confront PDP with, would be persona non grata in basically all of civil society, but nope, if my favourite Youtuber does is, then it's all somehow just ignorance, and the burden is on people calling him out to "educate" him. What a load of bollocks.
Parasocial relationships man.

He's basically like a "sorta friend" to millions of people who will never meet him or whom he will never personally give a shit about.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing, he didn't use it indefinitely, he used it once. Yes it's absolutely horrible and no one should defend that shit, but he did apologize and promised to do better, he also genuinely feels really bad about it. His fans didn't let it slide either, it was mentioned multiple times on his own sub reddit to this day which he reads all the time.

It's great when you write a whopping huge defense of PewDiePie and it's factually wrong from the first line. PewDiePie didn't just use the N-word once, he used it twice in one incident. He also used "nibber" as a substitute several time in that same video, used a homophobic slur in the same video, and noted that he forgot the mike was on in that same video.

What you should have gotten from that time that you claim he only made the mistake once is that he feels very little remorse for the issue to begin with - hence the repeated use of "nibber", like how a little kid goes I'm not touching you as they invade your personal space - and that he'd be perfectly comfortable making this supposed mistake if he just didn't have to face the consequences for making it in public - hence him pointing the fact that the microphone was on, which highlights the difference between his on-air behaviour and his off-air behaviour.

How can we have a dialogue and educate someone who, going by his pattern of action and not just the token apologies he gives every time, doesn't really give a damn? What value system do we appeal to if we want his behaviour to change?

You can say "nobody should defend it", but when you're misrepresenting the incident in order to minimalize it, what are you doing? Are you actually acting as if you believe that no one should defend him for that incident or are you talking out of both sides of your mouth?

This man has the will and power to do good, he has done more good than all of us combined, I don't see ResetEra donating 1.3 million to fight AIDS, despite how good of a person we think we are. All the good I ever see we did is to constantly call people ''trash'' because of bad behavior, which yes totally deserves condemn, but in the end of the day that's nothing to be proud of.

As for this point. If you're going to highlight the amount that he spends as proof of how good of a person he is - one million from a man who earns over ten a year - then do you think people who have more money and more power deserve more forgiveness? Because the simple fact is that giving one million to a cause is much, much easier for PewDiePie than it is for most other people.

Last edited:

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then why rush in here with an attempt to defend him? In the time it took you to type up your defense you could have looked him up and educated yourself but the need to complain about people "overreacting" was just too powerful huh?

What do you mean rush in to defend him? The "need to complain about people overreacting was too poweful"? I just saw the vid the OP posted then saw his video and offered my opinion that people were overreacting?
Why is this forum full of people who can't stomach a view other than their own? In the time it took me to post on here I would have had sight of a multitude of his posts and association with bigots? I can't just watch the video and leave my opinion, all the while holding my hand up and saying I'm not sure about the entirety of his history?

I simply thought people were overreacting based on him referencing the ER video for anime.

But apparently I'm "rushing in" to defend him for God knows what reason. I literally critiqued him in the same post.

Some of you guys must be awful to have a conversation with irl. Bloody obnoxious honestly.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean rush in to defend him? The "need to complain about people overreacting was too poweful"? I just saw the vid the OP posted then saw his video and offered my opinion that people were overreacting?
Why is this forum full of people who can't stomach a view other than their own? In the time it took me to post on here I would have had sight of a multitude of his posts and association with bigots? I can't just watch the video and leave my opinion, all the while holding my hand up and saying I'm not sure about the entirety of his history?

Even if you somehow managed to miss the headlines from non-gaming news sites that popped up when Disney cut ties with him last year, you have no good reason not to know he has a history of racist behavior and associations when that shit is right there in the OP.

Some of you guys must be awful to have a conversation with irl. Bloody obnoxious honestly.

I agree. Those people who don't pay attention and get all pissy when called out on it are the worst.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
How about we have a conversation with that person? Imagine sitting in a room with PewDiePie, just chatting, with a good cup of tea in your hands, imagine having a peacful conversation with him, and teaching him about the horrible things happened to the black people in past? Imagine educate him, changing him, making him a better person.

Legit question: Has PDP showed any sign that has remotely interested in something like you said in the quote?

Jan 10, 2018
Yes totally, I'm not ignoring all the bad he did, he can be an real asshole sometimes. Which is why we should try to educate him, he clearly wants to do good and he did many good things in the past, but when it comes to politics he is very uneducated and sometimes very confused.

This is my biggest problem with us progressive lefts, we are not constructive about the way we impact the world, we never ever once try to educate or change someone, we find out whoever is not progressive enough and condemn the shit out of that person, and that's the end of it. What kind of fucking impact was that?

Someone said the N word? Call him human waste and cut ties with him!

How about we have a conversation with that person? Imagine sitting in a room with PewDiePie, just chatting, with a good cup of tea in your hands, imagine having a peacful conversation with him, and teaching him about the horrible things happened to the black people in past? Imagine educate him, changing him, making him a better person.

Ignoring that you don't believe in these words and just use them to attack us(haha)...

Go ahead. Ain't nobody stopping you

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if you somehow managed to miss the headlines from non-gaming news sites that popped up when Disney cut ties with him last year, you have no good reason not to know he has a history of racist behavior and associations when that shit is right there in the OP.

I agree. Those people who don't pay attention and get all pissy when called out on it are the worst.

Right well let's forget to engage in any discourse unless it aligns with your view, informed or not. What an excellent and productive way to positively engage people into a discussion.

I admit that I don't have intricate knowledge of this guy's past but am somehow precluded from offering my opinion on the actual video in question, can't offer my view that people are overreacting without being accused of rushing in to defend him, despite me critiquing him...

There was no need respond like that when someone is just trying to discuss the matter but yeah you carry on like that and see how far it gets you. Try and adopt that mindset in real life as well as opposed to behind the keyboard.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Right well let's forget to engage in any discourse unless it aligns with your view, informed or not. What an excellent and productive way to positively engage people into a discussion.

I admit that I don't have intricate knowledge of this guy's past but am somehow precluded from offering my opinion on the actual video in question, can't offer my view that people are overreacting without being accused of rushing in to defend him, despite me critiquing him...

There was no need respond like that when someone is just trying to discuss the matter but yeah you carry on like that and see how far it gets you. Try and adopt that mindset in real life as well as opposed to behind the keyboard.

man someone's being a real bully

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What mindset? That racist and bigotry cannot be tolerated. Or that you should very well have read the OP and gotten the damn context before rushing in with your shield to protect him? Because, yes, I do use both and I get along great with people.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This is my biggest problem with us progressive lefts
How about you actually read my post and stop being the thing you hate the most, a bigot?
Of course I never called anyone an N word, because I have a lot of respect for black people

You know, whenever people say stuff like this, I keep getting the sense that they murdered someone and is trying to wear their corpse as a disguise or something like that.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): History of hostility and antagonistic behavior in sensitive topics
What mindset? That racist and bigotry cannot be tolerated. Or that you should very well have read the OP and gotten the damn context before rushing in with your shield to protect him? Because, yes, I do use both and I get along great with people.

Rushing in with what shield?? Read my OP again.

What mindset? That you automatically label someone or just attack someone for just trying to discuss something.

Think about what I actually did. I just said I thought people.were overreacting based on the above...someone replied and told me why PDP is considered a bigot and then I replied admitting I didn't know about his associations with other bigots. That's it. It shouldn't be something to jump down someone's throat over.

But if that is what ERA considers acceptable then so be it. I'm not going to bother trying to discuss things like this with you lot again. I just wanted to have a discussion that's all with no malice or ulterior motive but fuck bothering with that. It's just a feature of the way ERA behaves; it's not welcoming or inviting at all.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Dunno if I'd say he has no higher education. Felix Kjellberg actually did attend college, he just didn't finish his degree. "Some college" is a distinct option from high school diploma under education in a lot of the job application forms I've filled out. He's even state specifically that it was Industrial Economics at Chalmers University of Technology and that he had to be a straight A student to get there. Certainly he wasn't just some poor chump with no access to education.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rushing in with what shield?? Read my OP again.

What mindset? That you automatically label someone or just attack someone for just trying to discuss something.

Think about what I actually did. I just said I thought people.were overreacting based on the above...someone replied and told me why PDP is considered a bigot and then I replied admitting I didn't know about his associations with other bigots. That's it. It shouldn't be something to jump down someone's throat over.

But if that is what ERA considers acceptable then so be it. I'm not going to bother trying to discuss things like this with you lot again. I just wanted to have a discussion that's all with no malice or ulterior motive but fuck bothering with that. It's just a feature of the way ERA behaves; it's not welcoming or inviting at all.

What did I label you as? Now I will label you as someone trying to victimize yourself because you are taking what I said as the worst possible take and are now accusing me of being a hateful piece of shit.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

i admit that I don't have intricate knowledge of this guy's past but based am somehow precluded from offering my opinion on the actual video in question, can't offer my view that people are overreacting without being accused of rushing in to defend him, despite me critiquing him...

You don't need to know everything bad pewdiepie has ever done. I certainly don't. You just need to read the whole OP, and people assumed you were rushing because you clearly didn't do that.

Also, it's possible to defend someone while criticizing them at the same time (see the people who said he was not a racist, just an idiot).

That's not really a problem for me since nobody I know ever butts into a conversation they weren't actually following.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017

People are engaging with you. What do you want, people to just agree with you? Challenging bad takes seems like a pretty good idea to me, if the goal is to have a productive discussion.