• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
If he does something stupid he should get called out for it.
He did a stupid thing. He got called out for it. He then explained what happened and deleted the bit from his video. And you can bet he won't do that again if he can help it.
A point he makes is that the ad revenue for print and digital media is going down for years now. So this leads to headlines like this thread where it's more about getting the clicks than the facts. Doesn't mean it's less stupid to promote a channel with nazi references.
Man, this isn't hard. It really isn't.

Lets play devil's advocate -- In the most absolute extremely charitable light, lets assume all of PDP's transgressions were just ignorant thoughtless mistakes with no malicious intent whatsoever...

Due to his sub count, the guy is the de facto face of the largest online media/video platform and has almost 80 million personal subscribers, a lot of which are children.

Again, giving him an extreme level of benefit of the doubt here, are you genuinely comfortable with a guy being completely ignorant to the powers and responsibilities that he wields by being the de facto face of the largest video platform in the world? Especially when he has so many children that follow him?

Even if you genuinely want to die on the hill that none of what he's done has been malicious, there needs to be genuine accountability both by himself and those who consume his content

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
We are on the same side yet you would rather fight against me than with me.

It doesn't seem to me like you're fighting at all. Except, you know, to defend the honor of a millionaire whose idea of humour is to pay people to paint "KILL ALL JEWS" signs and streaming it. So I have no clue what your idea of "fight with me" entails.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
That's a different point. I'm not my intent to defend everything he does.

That's fine, I don't expect you to, but my point is that I'm very much done giving him the benefit of the doubt about these things and assuming he's acting with good intentions. He's fucked up too many times in the same damn way for me to believe he actually means it when he apologizes this time. He needs to be better and stop making excuses.

Starvigil

Oct 30, 2017
Man, this isn't hard. It really isn't.

Lets play devil's advocate -- In the most absolute extremely charitable light, lets assume all of PDP's transgressions were just ignorant thoughtless mistakes with no malicious intent whatsoever...

Due to his sub count, the guy is the de facto face of the largest online media/video platform and has almost 80 million personal subscribers, a lot of which are children.

Again, giving him an extreme level of benefit of the doubt here, are you genuinely comfortable with a guy being completely ignorant to the powers and responsibilities that he wields by being the de facto face of the largest video platform in the world? Especially when he has so many children that follow him?

Even if you genuinely want to die on the hill that none of what he's done has been malicious, there needs to be genuine accountability both by himself and those who consume his content
Of course he should be held accountable if does something harmful. Again, he should get called out for doing stupid shit.
Your fight is to defend a proven white supremacist, so no the fuck we aren't on the "same side"
It doesn't seem to me like you're fighting at all. Except, you know, to defend the honor of a millionaire whose idea of humour is to pay people to paint "KILL ALL JEWS" signs and streaming it. So I have no clue what your idea of "fight with me" entails.
I'd rather use my energy and resources to fight actual white supremacists who want to keep the public uneducated, misinformed, unable to vote. The president of the United States calls Mexican asylum seekers rapists and murderers. Children are held in cages. Others are getting shot in schools. The police is killing black people on tape and get sent on holidays as punishment.
Meanwhile this idiot who does meme reviews for 10 minutes as his job is supposed to take responsibility for making the world more racist.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather use my energy and resources to fight actual white supremacists who want to keep the public uneducated, misinformed, unable to vote. The president of the United States calls Mexican asylum seekers rapists and murderers. Children are held in cages. Others are getting shot in schools. The police is killing black people on tape and get sent on holidays as punishment.
Meanwhile this idiot who does meme reviews for 10 minutes as his job is supposed to take responsibility for making the world more racist.

You can be against the macro and micro levels of these things. Though I would not call PDP an example of micro due to his reach and almost militant subscriber base.

This is just a lazy whataboutism to distract from this particular conversation. Plenty of people who are active in this thread are also active in threads about the problems mentioned and participate in protests and elections alike.

Starvigil

Oct 30, 2017
"if".
Transparent appeal to bigger problems aside, how are you actually doing that?
Trying to appeal to common sense and communicate openly and directly.
I also don't call everyone I disagree with my enemy or an extremist.
If we can't even find common ground with people who we generally agree with, how are we supposed to fight those who want to do actual harm?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

And how's that working out for you? In terms of actual results fighting racism.

"Nazism is just a different opinion.". Boogie would be proud.

If we can't even find common ground with people who we generally agree with, how are we supposed to fight those who want to do actual harm?

Why are you assuming people here "generally agree" with you? There is a world of difference between someone who downplays PDP's constant racism and flirting with Nazis, and someone who doesn't.

Returns to ERA the next day... Oh.... So, PDP straight up has to be filmed killing a Jew before some of you might even consider him to be a Nazi.

Are you kidding? Knowing his fans, it would most likely go something like "He tripped and fell on PDP's knife. Yeah, thirty-seven times. He's just that clumsy."

Last edited:

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you don't think PDP is Nazi, you can't deny his constant flirting with the alt right. He's made multiple videos of alt right viewpoints, gives shout outs to alt right channels, and follows dumb shits like sargon of akkad and Ben Shapiro on Twitter.

He's not doing this stuff "for the memes" like his supporters think. He, at the very least, sympathizes with the alt right.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Even if you don't think PDP is Nazi, you can't deny his constant flirting with the alt right. He's made multiple videos of alt right viewpoints, gives shout outs to alt right channels, and follows dumb shits like sargon of akkad and Ben Shapiro on Twitter.

He's not doing this stuff "for the memes" like his supporters think. He, at the very least, sympathizes with the alt right.

Exactly.

He doesn't have to kill jews or spew the same shit Trump does to be considered dangerous.

It's enough when all he does is pointing his fans towards those people.

Gosh, there's so much wrong with the defending of this I can't even get my thoughts straight

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I don't call everyone I disagree with an enemy or extremist. Just the bigots who want to kill me for being black and queer. If you want to defend the platforms and rhetoric of people who literally want me and my family euthanized, you're a fucking enemy. I don't care what else we agree on; my life and my humanity trump all other "agreements".
You fight those who want to do actual harm by making them feel unsafe. By creating a society that doesn't tolerate their rhetoric or bullshit. Creating one that is done addressing their tired old arguments about who deserves to live and who doesn't , who's superior for their race and who isn't and on. These aren't new arguments and have been around since humanity has been around yet we keep inviting them for debate as though they've discovered something brand new. People act like this is some epiphany but slavery didn't end due to passionate discourse but due to a fucking war where people were forced to live under new laws. Sometimes moving forward requires not treating the "other side" like they're playing the same game as you are. They aren't. The sooner you, Boogie, PDP, etc. the sooner we can stop treating bigoted rhetoric like it's harmless.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Returns to ERA the next day... Oh.... So, PDP straight up has to be filmed killing a Jew before some of you might even consider him to be a Nazi. Even then I bet some of you would try to find a way to not make him out to be a Nazi. It was like 99% that he was a Nazi prior to this. This event just makes it a 100% certainty.
It's like how you have to be actively in the process of lynching a black person before they're ACTUALLY racist. Some people will bend the fuck over backwards to deny that blatantly awful people are in fact awful.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Where the hell even is the humor in making alt-right jokes and memes these days? Like okay you constantly reference alt-right figure heads for... what reason? What's the punchline here?

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Where the hell even is the humor in making alt-right jokes and memes these days? Like okay you constantly reference alt-right figure heads for... what reason? What's the punchline here?
The punchline is clicks (i.e. generating revenue). The punchline is trolling for liberal outrage. And there's nothing FUNNY about either. Especially when your primary audience is predominantly comprised of impressionable children.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought about making a new thread for the response. But we don't do fair around here anymore, do we?
For those who don't want to give him the views, you should still watch it. He's at 77 million subs. The vid has over 2million views after 6h and has almost 400k likes vs 5k dislikes.
So your view won't make a difference to him. But it might change your view. You might still call him an idiot with shitty videos and that's fine. But calling him an alt-right sympathizer or recruiter of some sort is just plain false. Just because you hate a person doesn't mean you're right. Doesn't mean they're alt-right either.
Actual nazis don't want you to think for yourselves. They want to tell you what to think and never have you question that belief. So maybe watch the video and make up your own mind.
It's called having principles you fuck

Starvigil

Oct 30, 2017
I don't call everyone I disagree with an enemy or extremist. Just the bigots who want to kill me for being black and queer. If you want to defend the platforms and rhetoric of people who literally want me and my family euthanized, you're a fucking enemy. I don't care what else we agree on; my life and my humanity trump all other "agreements".
You fight those who want to do actual harm by making them feel unsafe. By creating a society that doesn't tolerate their rhetoric or bullshit. Creating one that is done addressing their tired old arguments about who deserves to live and who doesn't , who's superior for their race and who isn't and on. These aren't new arguments and have been around since humanity has been around yet we keep inviting them for debate as though they've discovered something brand new. People act like this is some epiphany but slavery didn't end due to passionate discourse but due to a fucking war where people were forced to live under new laws. Sometimes moving forward requires not treating the "other side" like they're playing the same game as you are. They aren't. The sooner you, Boogie, PDP, etc. the sooner we can stop treating bigoted rhetoric like it's harmless.
You say you don't but then do exactly that.
You don't fight those who want to do you harm by making people, who don't, feel unsafe.
See we agree on fighting people who want to do actual harm to black and queer people. I'll stand proudly beside you during a protest.
But if we agree on what we're against (I.e. we hate nazis), but then point fingers at different people, then we should probably talk about that. If you point your finger at someone and say he's a nazi. And I say I don't think so. Then that doesn't mean I'm suddenly defending a nazi. I still agree on the issue, I just don't agree on who counts as one. But now you're fighting me like I want to do you harm. Even though I don't. And that's a problem. A different problem, mind you. But one worth talking about in a separate thread/ setting.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
You don't fight those who want to do you harm by making people, who don't, feel unsafe.
See we agree on fighting people who want to do actual harm to black and queer people. I'll stand proudly beside you during a protest.
But if we agree on what we're against (I.e. we hate nazis), but then point fingers at different people, then we should probably talk about that. If you point your finger at someone and say he's a nazi. And I say I don't think so. Then that doesn't mean I'm suddenly defending a nazi. I still agree on the issue, I just don't agree on who counts as one. But now you're fighting me like I want to do you harm. Even though I don't. And that's a problem. A different problem, mind you. But one worth talking about in a separate thread/ setting.

You're giving no argument at all supporting the thesis that PDP is doing all of this in good faith, but even if he was, it doesn't matter. He's helping actual nazis spreading their manure around the internet and he did it time and time again. Wether he's doing this because he believes in their ideals or just to create controversy and get clicks, is irrelevant. What matters is the end result, and he deserves all the shit he got (not much actually, he has an army of supporters a hundred times bigger than his critics).

Look at it the other way around: what are we exactly gaining by not saying anything and letting PDP do his stupid hateful shit? He's one of the safest, most privileged persons on the planet but somehow we need to make him feel even "safer"? Why?

Last edited:

Starvigil

Oct 30, 2017
You're giving no argument at all supporting the thesis that PDP is doing all of this in good faith, but even if he was, it doesn't matter. He's helping actual nazis spreading their manure around the internet and he did it time and time again. Wether he's doing this because he believes in their ideals or just to create controversy and get clicks, is irrelevant. What matters is the end result, and he deserves all the shit he got (not much actually, he has an army of supporters a hundred times bigger than his critics).

Look at it the other way around: what are we exactly gaining by not saying anything and letting PDP do his stupid hateful shit? He's one of the safest, most privileged persons on the planet but somehow we need to make him feel even "safer"? Why?

You don't burn someone on a stake to prove they're not a witch and then go "oh well", just because you hate the guy.
Again, I urge everyone to form their own opinion. He explained himself for the second time in an 18 minute video. He deleted the bid that promoted the channel.
If we can agree that it was not his intent to spread hate speech, we can talk about the actual impact of promoting the video.
He promoted the channel. The channel got 12k subs on the first day, 8k subs on the second day. Then the article about this came out and he got 13k subs on that day, 6k the following day and continues to gain subs and views. So the article helped the channel because they wanted to create controversy and get clicks.

Notice the thread title doesn't say "pewdiepie promoted video with hate speech imagery [update: now deleted]". It says
PewDiePie recommends straight-up Nazi channel (Hitler speeches, calls to get rid of Jews, more)
That's one heck of a controverse and click-baity title. I'm all for calling stupid shit out and I'm glad he gets called out everytime he does something stupid.
But look at this thread. I'm sure people have looked through my post history by now to find something that "Outs" me as the person they think I am because I disagreed with them.
No one is arguing in good faith here. They just look for a reason to attack and find arguments to support their own prejudice.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Is PDP's 18 minute apology different than his "whoopsie" video where he spent the majority of the video downplaying the seriousness of his mistake and mocking coverage of it?

Because it's not an actual apology if you, for instance, "accidentally" plug the KKK and then be like "it was only for a second!!! get a life SJW's!"

He needs to make it clear to his prepubescent and captivated primary audience that Nazi shit is not a joke, and saying "I don't care about it" is NOT the same thing. Everyone should care about anti-semitism and fascism, especially with its modern resurgence.

I know he likes to pretend to be a big dumb multi-millionaire whose job isn't to babysit or be a role model but unfortunately that is the path he chose, or that chose him.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He promoted the channel. The channel got 12k subs on the first day, 8k subs on the second day. Then the article about this came out and he got 13k subs on that day, 6k the following day and continues to gain subs and views. So the article helped the channel because they wanted to create controversy and get clicks.
Lol are you even reading what you're typing ?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
FyYDVTq.png

Again, I urge everyone to form their own opinion. He explained himself for the second time in an 18 minute video.

maxresdefault.jpg

Again, I urge everyone to form their own opinion. He explained himself for the second time in an 18 minute video.

hard-drive-9-hrs-i-had-absolutely-no-intention-of-27652566.png

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Wander what the fanbase will say at the next PDP fuck up.

"just give him a chance" "focus on the real enemies"

Clowns.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
How are people still coming in this thread just to get banned?

Instead of posting this and letting people think you believe this is real, you could just post the video of PewDiePie saying the n-word itself, which is damning enough. Nothing says that you repent for saying a racial slur like dropping it again, using a minced version of it repeatedly, dropping a homophobic slur, and participating in a conversation about how no one watching really cares that you said it and the only concern you have is sponsors pulling out. All immediately after you used the slur.

Starts at about 6:30. He also drops the F word at 10 minutes in, as well as starts throwing out "nibber".

Observation Platform

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018

You don't burn someone on a stake to prove they're not a witch and then go "oh well", just because you hate the guy.
Again, I urge everyone to form their own opinion. He explained himself for the second time in an 18 minute video. He deleted the bid that promoted the channel.
If we can agree that it was not his intent to spread hate speech, we can talk about the actual impact of promoting the video.

Notice the thread title doesn't say "pewdiepie promoted video with hate speech imagery [update: now deleted]". It says
PewDiePie recommends straight-up Nazi channel (Hitler speeches, calls to get rid of Jews, more)
That's one heck of a controverse and click-baity title. I'm all for calling stupid shit out and I'm glad he gets called out everytime he does something stupid.
But look at this thread. I'm sure people have looked through my post history by now to find something that "Outs" me as the person they think I am because I disagreed with them.
No one is arguing in good faith here. They just look for a reason to attack and find arguments to support their own prejudice.

Anyone who espouses, for whatever reason, views that generalise an entire race of people in a negative light is a cunt. This also goes for anyone who, for whatever reason, supports any message that negatively paints an entire race of people. There is no need for debate, and defending said behaviour for whatever reason paints you with the same brush. Go away and compel fruitless, bad faith rubbish somewhere else.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

Would you not agree that one of the best ways to end racism is education. Teaching right from wrong?

PDP is teaching that racism is funny or that racists are funny. Getting people to write "Death to Jews" is funny. This normalizes the behavior.

No, I don't think PDP would directly harm anyone. But by sending his followers over to a channel that spreads hate his actions might indeed actually lead to an impressionable person actually hurting (or God forbid killing) another person.

I have 4 children. They, like their friends, love youtube. When they are home I can protect them and monitor what they watch. Talk through the images they are seeing and the words they are hearing. But when they are away from home it is a lot harder to control.

If one of the most recognizable youtubers in the world calls linking to literal Nazis an "Oopsie" and does nothing to denounce what he did other than remove the link and blame the media for blowing things out of proportion, that is influence. A lot of kids are being basically raised on Youtube (another issue itself) and they are at an age where putting these racist ideas in their heads could cause some lasting damage.

No, I do not think PDP is a literal Nazi, but he is what might be called a "Gateway racist". He makes light of the N-word, racism, follows bigger racists, links to bigger racists (this isn't even mentioning all the rape-humor he built his early career on) and through what he does, he allows his followers to discover worse things. In some ways that is more insidious than being a "Real Nazi".

I am glad you want to fight racism. Please continue to do so. And if how you choose to fight is confronting people who are already racists and going to protests and the like, good on you. How I choose to fight is by protecting my children and other children around the world from having the evil seed of racism planted in their heads by people who might not be racist in the classical sense but are spreading these ideas or laughing them off. If both our goals are to stop racism then you should also be supporting those of us who don't want to let this slide.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Reason why I added the text because it makes it obvious that it's satirical, but people would genuinely defend him if he did that.

I think one thing we can learn from PewDiePie is that a lot of people feel as a great sense of personal accomplishment because they haven't burnt a cross on anybody's lawn yet, and are hurt and confused by the idea that you could actually do better.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017

I saw it and no, I don't believe a single word he said. Because it's not the first time that happened, not the second and not the third. Every time in the same direction. I refuse to believe that he's smart enough to use a PC and make youtube videos but he's too stupid to realize what he's doing. He got plenty of chances and wasted them all. I wonder how many more "mistakes" you'll need to change your mind.
The channel getting more popular is exactly what they wanted. Not sure what you're trying to prove, the subs would've went up regardless of any article because PDP has a massive audience.

Thread title should be changed, you're right about that. However, now you're not complaining about PDP being called out anymore but about the fact that people here are not arguing in good faith (but somehow you're perfectly sure PDP is in good faith). Call these people out. It's not hard to find when someone is just shitposting without a clue of what's happening.

Starvigil

Oct 30, 2017
Edit: Reply got saved before I wrote it.
Would you not agree that one of the best ways to end racism is education. Teaching right from wrong?
That's exactly what I believe.
PDP is teaching that racism is funny or that racists are funny. Getting people to write "Death to Jews" is funny. This normalizes the behavior.
No, I don't think PDP would directly harm anyone. But by sending his followers over to a channel that spreads hate his actions might indeed actually lead to an impressionable person actually hurting (or God forbid killing) another person.
Again, I agree with everyone here that doing that joke was irresposible and wrong. And once again, I agree that he deserved the amount of shit he got for that.
And we agree that he probably wouldn't want to harm anyone, but promoting that channel was stupid.
I have 4 children. They, like their friends, love youtube. When they are home I can protect them and monitor what they watch. Talk through the images they are seeing and the words they are hearing. But when they are away from home it is a lot harder to control.

If one of the most recognizable youtubers in the world calls linking to literal Nazis an "Oopsie" and does nothing to denounce what he did other than remove the link and blame the media for blowing things out of proportion, that is influence. A lot of kids are being basically raised on Youtube (another issue itself) and they are at an age where putting these racist ideas in their heads could cause some lasting damage.
Your kids aren't raised only on youtube. They're raised by you, their teachers, their surroundings. I had to fight my racist parents who think foreigners are evil and gay people should burn in hell. But that's a whole other topic.
No, I do not think PDP is a literal Nazi, but he is what might be called a "Gateway racist". He makes light of the N-word, racism, follows bigger racists, links to bigger racists (this isn't even mentioning all the rape-humor he built his early career on) and through what he does, he allows his followers to discover worse things. In some ways that is more insidious than being a "Real Nazi".
Controversy is his whole stick. Offensive humor has been around forever. I don't think it's funny, but I also don't think it's only racists that find him funny.
At least we can agree that he isn't a literal Nazi.
I am glad you want to fight racism. Please continue to do so. And if how you choose to fight is confronting people who are already racists and going to protests and the like, good on you. How I choose to fight is by protecting my children and other children around the world from having the evil seed of racism planted in their heads by people who might not be racist in the classical sense but are spreading these ideas or laughing them off. If both our goals are to stop racism then you should also be supporting those of us who don't want to let this slide.

Again, we agree at least that we're on the same side.
I saw it and no, I don't believe a single word he said. Because it's not the first time that happened, not the second and not the third. Every time in the same direction. I refuse to believe that he's smart enough to use a PC and make youtube videos but he's too stupid to realize what he's doing. He got plenty of chances and wasted them all. I wonder how many more "mistakes" you'll need to change your mind.
The channel getting more popular is exactly what they wanted. Not sure what you're trying to prove, the subs would've went up regardless of any article because PDP has a massive audience.

Thread title should be changed, you're right about that. However, now you're not complaining about PDP being called out anymore but about the fact that people here are not arguing in good faith (but somehow you're perfectly sure PDP is in good faith). Call these people out. It's not hard to find when someone is just shitposting without a clue of what's happening.
That's fair enough if you don't believe him. But at least now we're talking about the fact that he's a moron that should know and do better instead of comparing him to the KKK and trying to get me banned for disagreeing with some people.

Last edited:

Han

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm keeping my kids off YouTube (and all social media, except to connect with family) for as long as possible. Seems like almost all the prominent streamers are pieces of shit.

You got a point there.

Many successfull streamers, youtubers, E-sportler get a _lot_ of attention, fame and money combined with a young age. Obviously they don't know how to handle and classify that. And they are cheered for being assholes. It's actually a huge problem, cause they give this shitty attitude to the - also young - viewers.

The media competence is just too low at this sector.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would to if the media smears myself and take things out of context

You don't know what context means. He paid someone to hold up a sign that says Death to Jews and then injected it into his own video. He said the n word on stream. What context is needed?

Seriously defend these actions. Don't hide behind "out of context." These are the results of his own fucking actions. And his hate brigade decides to hack the media that delivered the news and he thinks it's amusing. Defend these actions or please peace out of the thread.

Please explain why he has repeatedly responded and retweeted white supremacists on Twitter. As far as your assertion that controversy creates clicks, who would disagree with this? It has no bearing on the actual discussion.

Interesting use of prejudice. Prejudice is only prejudice if you judge without experience or information. I know all I need to know about PDP. The fact J Jonah Jameson channeling his inner Alex Jones from the latest Spider-Man game can figure this out but you can't is astonishing.

Also you're not the victim. Stop trying to make yourself one. You are arguing against many people because PDP has a history of committing terrible actions and then not issuing sincere apologies and doubling down afterwards.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like this was highly overblown but at the same time he's already said the n word so what else is there to say

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Looks like this was highly overblown but at the same time he's already said the n word so what else is there to say
Weird how you think this was overblown. Intentionally trying to redpill 75 million people, mostly kids on nazi propaganda isn't really overblown at all!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Overblown how? He's got a history of doing stuff like this and being in contact with these people, he viewed the channel before and saw sexist content, continued to watch it and conveniently missed white supremacist content, his response to it immediately deviated to him whining about a gay black guy calling out bigotry, and he continues to defend himself by the standard white supremacist method of attacking the media. How could this have been done worse?

He could have actually said "I'm a Nazi now", but without that level of plausible deniability it might even be better in that it would be harder for YouTube to ignore.