• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'd say he holds any responsibility for what happened, but the people he follows on Twitter is suspect as fuck.

Known white supremacist Lauren Southern and that daft looking white supremacist cunt from Infowars, not to mention that other cunt who is always talking about lobsters or crabs or some shit and how women secretly want to ravaged by Muslim men.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously he's not directly at fault for what happened but this should be a sobering reminder of the responsibilities that come with such a massive audience.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying hate speech. Dismissing the role of a Youtube influencer who has frequently promoted hate speech
You mean the guy who announced his massacre livestream on 8chan wrote an 8chan-referencing manifesto? no shit..

Yeah no shit. Not sure what you're point is.

you seem to be needlessly hung up on semantics when you know the exact discussion that's happening here. what do you hope to achieve

I mean if you look back I was clearly just asking for more context. But then a group-think mob decided to take their anger out of it.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah no shit. Not sure what you're point is.

I mean if you look back I was clearly just asking for more context. But then a group-think mob decided to take their anger out of it.
That's not what you did, nor is that what subsequently happened.

WadeIt0ut said:
I dislike PewDiePie as much as the next era member, but unless I missed something none of the things he has done or said in the past makes me think like he is in any way responsible for this nutjob.
WadeIt0ut said:
Unless I'm missing something wasn't this guy's exact quote "remember lads, subscribe to PewDiePie." While also talking about "shitposting".

He's a 28 year old on 8chan. Eveyrthing about this reads as some incel memeing not an actual shoutout

You initiated the conversation by denying The influence of PewDiePie's hate laced messaging, and in doing so shirked the responsibility of people who promote a racist agenda. Those who promote hate speech are responsible for the proliferation of extremism.

those with high subscriber counts on YouTube are commonly referred to as " influencers " because of how effective they are at planting their agenda into their subscriber base. He pushes hate frequently, introduces viewers to extremist guests, and flagrantly spouts racist pejoratives. That is his influence. That is why hate groups are actively promoting him.

Last edited:

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Out of context. I was referring to it meaning it was his "inspiration" like it says in the OP.
That's not what you did, nor is that what subsequently happened.

You initiated the conversation by denying The influence of PewDiePie's hate laced messaging, and in doing so shirked the responsibility of people who promote a racist agenda. Those who promote hate speech are responsible for the proliferation of extremism.

those with high subscriber counts on YouTube are commonly referred to as " influencers " because of how effective they are at planting their agenda into their subscriber base. He pushes hate frequently, introduces viewers to extremist guests, and flagrantly spouts racist pejoratives. That is his influence. That is why hate groups are actively promoting him.
What are you talking about, am I rite?! That poster has been "I don't like pewdiepie but" the entire thread. Surely you're just coming to conclusions and he's not actually defending PDP over multiple posts. Nor denying his responsibility of the rise of White Supremacy within his core group of followers. He just clearly wants it spelled out that no, PDP did not pull the trigger. Can we just give this pour soul that much?!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
now i'm not a fan of felix-kun, but group think hive mind are not directly responsible. would you blame muslim video games for terrorism? here's my breitbart account. sorry i have to leave, it's been a fun thirty seconds

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

In case anyone was wondering...

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/13/1813...-links-to-white-supremacist-alt-right-redpill
The frustrating nature of PewDiePie's flirtation with alt-right culture is that by repeatedly dismissing criticism as oversensitivity and insisting he's just being satirical, he maintains the plausible deniability that the alt-right counts on to aid in distilling its messaging throughout mainstream culture.

Members of various alt-right movements, including the owner of the E;R channel, appear to be fully aware of this. On his Gab account, when another user asked him, "What is the best way to red pill people on the (((Jewish Question)))," the owner of the E;R channel responded, "Pretend to joke about it until the punchline /really/ lands."

Last edited:

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
now i'm not a fan of felix-kun, but group think hive mind are not directly responsible. would you blame muslim video games for terrorism? here's my breitbart account. sorry i have to leave, it's been a fun thirty seconds
Throw in "this forum is just as hateful as the racists" and it would have been perfect.

This Jean Paul Sartre quote needs to be posted again and again every day:
"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."

The people who keep using excuses like "ignorance" or "trolling" or "satire" or "shitposts" to minimize this stuff desperately need to internalize this truth. Bigots are praying you don't take them seriously. Making you just call their rhetoric memes or slang is what they want. Bigotry persists because it finds newer and newer ways to convince the naive that it isn't focused or deliberate. People need to stop being naive. All of this shit is part of setting up a culture and language for their benefit. To recruit, preach to & radicalize others under a guise.

Coloursheep

Oct 31, 2017
I thought subscribe to Pewdiepie was meant so he can remain number one on YouTube? I've never taken it like that. He has a lot of fans around the world and even a lot of Indian fans that always say that too.

That's the whole point of a dog whistle though, as you can see in the picture I posted. Also if people use it for the purpose you said it makes it an even better dog whistle because it is easier for people who want to use it is as a signal to hide it.

LittleBee

alt account
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
I don't mean to interrupt here, but shouldn't this thread be moved over to the EtcetEra forum? I read the first few pages of this thread, and there's no discussion of anything gaming related at all.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to interrupt here, but shouldn't this thread be moved over to the EtcetEra forum? I read the first few pages of this thread, and there's no discussion of anything gaming related at all.

No. It's about someone who got their popularity by screaming "he's raping me" while playing video games. Someone who is single-handedly responsible for the popularity of certain games.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Given that the focus is on PDP, I think it belongs here. Part of the function of a thread like this is having it reach the intended audience.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
63 pages and 3 days later...I wonder if anyone has said this thread doesn't belong here? Maybe they don't realize!! I've got to help them!!

scanferr

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling in a sensitive thread, a history of severe infractions, junior member
Umm ok then? it shows the type of person he is with who he chooses to follow.
What's wrong in following Jordan Peterson?

Also, how exactly did PewDiePie incite the events that happened last friday? I may be out of the loop, but I really don't get why people are out calling for his head.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not shame people for their post counts.
Can we shame someone if they were previously banned for going into the THQ boycott thread just to say that they aren't boycotting, and then go into this thread to say they don't know who PewDiePie is and also don't care who he follows on Twitter?

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Can we shame someone if they were previously banned for going into the THQ boycott thread just to say that they aren't boycotting, and then go into this thread to say they don't know who PewDiePie is and also don't care who he follows on Twitter?

We really should not be shaming anyone. Except flat earthers... those people need to be shamed.

Back on topic. This entire PDP thing is a damn field of land mines. I never really went into the depths of YouTube so I appreciate the time and effort fellow posters have taken to link information and explain the situation.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
While I know nothing about pewdiepie(seems like you guys got this on lock) I'm not really interested who he follows on twitter.
Then why'd you mention it? It's been discussed why it matters. It's not just about him following them but also endorsing them.

What's wrong in following Jordan Peterson?

Also, how exactly did PewDiePie incite the events that happened last friday? I may be out of the loop, but I really don't get why people are out calling for his head.
To start, no one is talking about PDP "inciting" the killing. And no one wants his head. The issue with PDP is that he contributes to the culture of the bigoted alt-right by lampooning Jewish genocide, using slurs on top of doubling down when people call him on it. PDP is part of a wealth of people who subtly promote and reinforce the ideals of bigots. By not watching his language and by not being interested in being progressive and unequivocally separating him self from bigoted rhetoric and thought leaders he and others perpetuate the culture that galvanizes bigots, violent and non-violent.

In regards to Jordan Peterson he is an anti-intellectual and golden boy of white men who wrongly believe they're put upon by "Lefties, minorities, SJWs and feminists". There are a wealth of articles and videos outlining exactly what is wrong with him:

Side note: Have we always been able to embed 3 pieces of media? I could have sworn that the limit was 2 at one point.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Let's not shame people for their post counts.

Looking at the bad faith posters, that sentiment is valid. Gaf (before it went to shitter) used to bar new members from making thread until they met two conditions. Having some sort of preemptive measure to minimize trolling might be suitable.

An idea was suggested of allowing for categorization of threads as sensitive or not and having qualifiers to post in those sensitive threads. The gaming side's moderation has been (from my experience) more lenient compared to OT which generally results in less troll or bad faith posts. Finally, Adding an aforementioned sensitivity gate would alleviate moderation requirements as well.

Long and short of it is while I do not condone shaming of post counts at all, troll or bad faith alt account posters generally do have low post counts due to the inherent nature of said accounts.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
While I know nothing about pewdiepie(seems like you guys got this on lock) I'm not really interested who he follows on twitter.
I think most people probably aren't interested. But the white nationalists sure are.

What people need to understand is they count on that naivety to give them cover and maintain plausible deniability. They've perfected and weaponised it, they brag about it, and they laugh at how people fall for it despite that bragging.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Back on the topic of PDP though;
I'm really amazed that some people (including PDP himself), seem to have a hard time realizing that being an influencer puts you firmly under a different lens. If you're an influencer, you may seriously want to reconsider intimidating or promoting historical figures and movements that have been the center of some of the greatest atrocities in human history.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

'just memes' incoming.
Back on the topic of PDP though;
I'm really amazed that some people (including PDP himself), seem to have a hard time realizing that being an influencer puts you firmly under a different lens. If you're an influencer, you may seriously want to reconsider intimidating or promoting historical figures and movements that have been the center of some of the greatest atrocities in human history.
it's likely a feature, not a bug. you can only watch this dude apologize so many times before you have to give up on the idea that it's lack of understanding.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
it's likely a feature, not a bug. you can only watch this dude apologize so many times before you have to give up on the idea that it's lack of understanding.
It's not just the number of apologies, it's also the apologies themselves. When received criticism for his "death to jews" bit, he followed his apology by attacking the media for taking him out of context and flipping off the camera (before pointedly putting his middle finger in his mouth to claim that it's actually an innocent gesture). He later said he wasn't going to do any Nazi jokes anymore, using the explanation that they're boring and played out.

If you look at all at the contents of his apologies, it becomes immediately clear that he just has an utter disinterest in taking responsibility for his actions. The same as when his N-word video included him also throwing in a homophobic slur and saying "nibber" a lot, or when he joked about his Nazi associations during the Charlottesville rally. He's not unaware of the responsibility he has an influencer, he's resentful of the fact that people expect it of him.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just the number of apologies, it's also the apologies themselves. When received criticism for his "death to jews" bit, he followed his apology by attacking the media for taking him out of context and flipping off the camera (before pointedly putting his middle finger in his mouth to claim that it's actually an innocent gesture). He later said he wasn't going to do any Nazi jokes anymore, using the explanation that they're boring and played out.
ah right, i meant 'apologies'

like his tweet regarding this tragedy says so much of nothing that it's hard to believe it's not intentional.