• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God, that guy in the youtube video there looks like the sort of Kevin Smith character ripoff I would use to actually parody those thin-skinned whiny shitbags who are incapable of thinking critically about the media they experience. How people are able to watch that sort of nonsense and not piss themselves laughing at the pathetic manbaby is just shocking. Even then I couldn't get through the clip.

It sucks that James Rolfe hangs out with shit bags, because in all honesty I've always found him to be pretty thoughtful when he isn't playing his character, more so than, say, the Nostalgia Critic who doesn't have an "off mode". He actually seems to have a real passion and knowledge on unique subjects such as horror franchises and the like. He's probably the most successful YouTuber I can think of who has remained relatively free of any public meltdowns or scandals he was personally part of which is, uh, certainly an accomplishment.

I'll watch his solo videos but whenever I see Mike or anyone else next to him I'll "NOPE". Honestly in Mike's case he and James are childhood friends so it's probably a bit much to think James should totally drop him, but yeah the Omega Alpha Sin dude doesn't have that excuse so James should stay far away.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
What is boogie streaming? Sorry haven't followed any of these "gaming youtubers" for a while.

Boogies that annoying asshole that only concerns himself with the argument if it somehow affects him or his friends or what he does for a living only as a shield and gives false shallow platitudes of "Concern" will deflecting the conversation from it's original topic.

He's basically the "So much for the tolerant left" meme personified and taken even further since he likes to victimize himself when called out on his bullshit

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because the only people who would post something like that are shitheads with their own hidden agenda. Don't act surprised that when you post things that only assholes would say that people are rightly going to give you shit for it.

Nah I don't buy that at all. If you're emotional that's fine but I don't think that's an excuse to be an asshole to people or jump to conclusions.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Nah I don't buy that at all. If you're emotional that's fine but I don't think that's an excuse to be an asshole to people or jump to conclusions.

It's better to err on the side of caution and be aggressive when fighting the alt-right. There's no debating them or being rational or "civil" with them. The proper response is immediate aggression and shutting them down. Given how many are coming out of the woodwork and showing their ass, it should be no surprise of how you were responded to. If you're not one of them, just accept that shit happens and move on.

Cidstyles

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying Hate Speech
Linking PDP to this mad horrible killer is as crazy as blaming videogames for his action.

True, their is a lot of things I would link to this, as the violence around the world and no care of peoplesabout it, what u see on the medias(from Fox news to even worse but also a lot of other mainstream one in certain subject), the laxism of many videogames maker on realistic ultra violence(wich desensibilize even more mad people). But more than that, people's like Marine Le Pen and in the right wings, who put a lot of oil in the Fire for their electoral purpose, as well as sick politicians and big oil/weapons/... groups and the crazy situations they heavily contributed to put the middle east on Fire for more Power and money... are more likely THE One to Blame including this terrorist. PDP, isnt even in the top100 of the "blame list" for such sad event imo...

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying Hate Speech
It's interesting to watch what is being highlithed about this in news articles and in this very thread.
It's not the fact that guys like this have access to guns, or the rise of extreme views in this day and age that sometimes conclude in tragedies like this horrific event.
No, it has to come down to damn vidya games and because of this and that youtuber, while people shouting "sjw libtard" and "neckbeard gamergater nazi" at each other.
Show some class people, let's just try to make at least this community a bit less shitty and mourn these poor souls who died for this very sad and stupid reason in that church without jumping at each others throat.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Linking PDP to this mad horrible killer is as crazy as blaming videogames for his action.

True, their is a lot of things I would link to this, as the violence around the world and no care of peoplesabout it, what u see on the medias(from Fox news to even worse but also a lot of other mainstream one in certain subject), the laxism of many videogames maker on realistic ultra violence(wich desensibilize even more mad people). But more than that, people's like Marine Le Pen and in the right wings, who put a lot of oil in the Fire for their electoral purpose, as well as sick politicians and big oil/weapons/... groups and the crazy situations they heavily contributed to put the middle east on Fire for more Power and money... are more likely THE One to Blame including this terrorist. PDP, isnt even in the top100 of the "blame list" for such sad event imo...

We're not the ones who linked PDP to the killer. He killer himself was the one who linked PDP to the incident which has just put a spotlight on a problem many of us knew was already there.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What if that video game had repeatedly had the hero say racist comments, had other characters hold up a sign saying 'death to all jews' and introduced the player to real life bigots and hate mongers as if they were the hero's friends?

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We have trolls and burner accounts coming out of the woodwork to try to defend and downplay this asshole so you coming in here and posting "Well does this really need to be on gaming side to begin with?" was a really bad look. You said something dumb and everyone called you out on it, just take the L and move on.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to watch what is being highlithed about this in news articles and in this very thread.
It's not the fact that guys like this have access to guns, or the rise of extreme views in this day and age that sometimes conclude in tragedies like this horrific event.
No, it has to come down to damn vidya games and because of this and that youtuber, while people shouting "sjw libtard" and "neckbeard gamergater nazi" at each other.
Show some class people, let's just try to make at least this community a bit less shitty and mourn these poor souls who died for this very sad and stupid reason in that church without jumping at each others throat.

Surely platitudes will help.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I've been talking all day about this I don't know why you immediately lept to that conclusion at all. I think Pewd is a POS and he's directly responsible for radicalizing people like the guy who went on this killing spree. Also are you not a gamer?

as a guy who was playing through gundam strategy game in japanese last night
who the fuck cares about gamers

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

The murderer seemed to think otherwise.

Feb 8, 2018
Most people when Pewdiepie continually shows support for Nazis and racism: fuck that guy he is a megaphone for hatred and will be responsible for violence enacted by people he led to violent ideologies

Other people: That's ridiculous

Most people when a guy does a livestream imitating popular streamers to kill Muslims while invoking Pewdiepie specifically: So pretending these are suuuuper funny edgy jokes is over now right? What we all said would happen just happened and it's clear as day.

Other people: I don't see anything at all... let's continue carrying water for nazis and their supporters who claim not to be nazis just like we claim not to be nazis.

Don't know anything about PdP other than the fact he's been around for a while and he is viewed as racist by some. But if true, how the hell can someone like this be tolerated for that long?? It's disgusting to think he got kids in his audience too.

Last edited:

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

This thread is specifically about the influence a particular youtuber has had on internet culture and the shooter.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine having your brother almost killed and then go on twitter to defend pewdiepie.

The brainwash is incredible, holy shit.
Boogie's all caps rage and maximum concern is reserved for when his video games are threatened. It's just not even worth it to bother.

Or when his weight is mentioned. Everything else can be both-sided.

Fuck him.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What is boogie streaming? Sorry haven't followed any of these "gaming youtubers" for a while.

On Twitter now talking about comforting everyone affected by the shooting, including PDP. Does not understand in the slightest that you need to stand up to something and not just "against hate." When we allow the hate of Candace Owens, Ben Shapiro, or PDP, we're letting someone be inspired to carry out the hate we condemn.

We need to condemn the first thing right now or we are complicit.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Cripes, what is it with people?

Pewdiepie contributes to the rise of extreme values in this day and age, and this tragic, horrific event included a direct shout-out to him.

Leave your stupid comments in your pocket.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
why aren't the people who are upset at the resetera for linking the murders to gaming instead upset at the murderer for linking the murders to gaming

Liam

Oct 25, 2017
pdp is an idiot that choose to do nothing about his alt right following but hoping to get more, and ended fucking up himself. i guess he is pretty much done? or at least his name is tainted with this shit to get any type of deal/partnership with anyone?

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have trolls and burner accounts coming out of the woodwork to try to defend and downplay this asshole so you coming in here and posting "Well does this really need to be on gaming side to begin with?" was a really bad look. You said something dumb and everyone called you out on it, just take the L and move on.

Yeah and I don't agree with that sentiment. There are always going to be trolls and shitty people with even shittier opinions that doesn't mean it's open season on anyone who you deem even remotely problematic.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

It's always funny to hear people call for "civility" against Nazi talking points like they think we can't tell what the subtext is there

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Where exactly do you think those extremist ideas come from? Do they rain down from the sky in your world? Are they planted by the robots on the other side of the Matrix we live in? Or is it spread by you know, people with large amounts of influence and giant media platforms from which they can spread and reinforce those ideas?

It's already been said multiple times why this topic exists and having this topic doesn't preclude us from also having a conversation about gun control. This topic is not about gun control though. If you want to make a topic about how guns fit into this tragedy, you're free to create one and I guarantee people will be there to agree that access to guns is one of the reasons these massacres happen. This isn't that topic though.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
pdp is an idiot that choose to do nothing about his alt right following but hoping to get more, and ended fucking up himself. i guess he is pretty much done? or at least his name is tainted with this shit to get any type of deal/partnership with anyone?
His tweet about this has over half a million likes.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
I never liked PDP and have always thought he was annoying and not funny since 2011.

Last week at a starbucks a college student shouted "Subscribe to pewdiepie" to the whole place before storming out with her drink

A couple months ago I observed my little cousin on omegle telling people to subscribe to pewdiepie and nexting them just to repeat himself. When I asked why he was doing that he said it's a meme and it's funny. I see people all the time on twitter/in youtube comments saying subscribe to pewdiepie randomly when it doesn't even make sense and has nothing to do with the conversation.

I just took it as a irl meme people like to spread. I don't think it's fair to link PDP to the shooter just because of this.

Either way, just my two cents. Fuck PDP and fuck all of this shit. Humanity is a fucking cesspool.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
With all these ironic/joking/troll excuses remember Ken's Rule of Goats: If you fuck a goat ironically you're still a goatfucker.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I never liked PDP and have always thought he was annoying and not funny since 2011.

Last week at a starbucks a college student shouted "Subscribe to pewdiepie" to the whole place before storming out with her drink

A couple months ago I observed my little cousin on omegle telling people to subscribe to pewdiepie and nexting them just to repeat himself. When I asked why he was doing that he said it's a meme and it's funny. I see people all the time on twitter/in youtube comments saying subscribe to pewdiepie randomly when it doesn't even make sense and has nothing to do with the conversation.

I just took it as a irl meme people like to spread. I don't think it's fair to link PDP to the shooter just because of this.

Either way, just my two cents. Fuck PDP and fuck all of this shit. Humanity is a fucking cesspool.

It's a little different when the killer is motivated by white supremacy and PewDiePie's been connecting himself to those types over the years. It goes a beyond a meme to common dogwhistle tactics - like how Pepe the frog is just a cartoon frog except when everyone knows what he really means.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

But what if the meme is coded language for "stop the white man from being dethroned?"

Edit: this is also consistent with PDP's connection to alt-right talking heads and semi-frequent pointing to, well, pretty serious nazi stuff

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017

Yes its a meme.

Im not good with photo editing. But people need to show PDP's follow list on twitter, and show those alt right's tweets. there's a bigger picture here

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

OK so it's a meme. At the end of the day PDP is still connected to and a hero of the very self same people who eat up rhetoric about genocide and white supremacy. PDP is connected not just because his name was said but because of the context of him being a darling to bigots for his persistent lampooning of disenfranchised groups. The guy who torpedoed his shot with Disney for pulling an anti-Semitic "prank" about killing Jews doesn't get to run away and claim him and the people like him who treat bigotry like a joke don't have a hand in perpetuating the very culture that breeds violent killers who thrive and are galvanized by bigotry and the belittling of minority suffering. He wouldn't be associated with this if he didn't have a posse of some of the most vile alt-right mouth pieces in modern media right now.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate the NRA because they won't address that guns are the primary means of carrying out violence in the States.

I AGREE with the NRA, however, that I do think there is a link between real violence and video games/media. My issue is not with them holding that view and a need to defend gaming, but that they use gaming as a scapegoat to protect their own pockets.

I feel the same way here. Obviously guns are ultimately what means life or death, but I think it's fair to say other avenues influence the act and that guns make it far too easy.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and I don't agree with that sentiment. There are always going to be trolls and shitty people with even shittier opinions that doesn't mean it's open season on anyone who you deem even remotely problematic.

It's clear you're not going to take any responsibility for what you posted so let's just end this conversation now.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This fucking garbage false equivalency needs to stop. Its not even in the same universe. We have years and years of evidence and research showing no correlation between video game play and violence. We have years and years of research that show white nationalism is on the rise, that they use the video game genre and youtube to influence others to their ideology, and that the brunt of mass shootings like this are perpetuated by white nationalists. The fuck out of here with this.

Guns are the means to which such acts are able to be carried out with.
Indoctrination into white supremacist ideology is the cause that sparks those to pursue those means.
The two are not mutually exclusive or independently responsible for acts like this but rather are conditions which reinforce this behavior.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow this thread 40 pages long. Must have attracted quite a number of people willing to defend PDP since yesterday.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the NRA because they won't address that guns are the primary means of carrying out violence in the States.

I AGREE with the NRA, however, that I do think there is a link between real violence and video games/media. My issue is not with them holding that view and a need to defend gaming, but that they use gaming as a scapegoat to protect their own pockets.

I feel the same way here. Obviously guns are ultimately what means life or death, but I think it's fair to say other avenues influence the act and that guns make it far too easy.

No

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180116131317.htm

In a series of experiments, with more than 3,000 participants, the team demonstrated that video game concepts do not 'prime' players to behave in certain ways and that increasing the realism of violent video games does not necessarily increase aggression in game players.

The dominant model of learning in games is built on the idea that exposing players to concepts, such as violence in a game, makes those concepts easier to use in 'real life'.

Not to mention the countless other studies that have been done that has also come to the same conclusion.

Its about the same as treating any form of media responsible for the actions you commit.