• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Sinder

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

giphy.gif

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Do people in this thread do not know what radicalisation is?

How do you think people turn into killers like this? They're already unstable and people influence them with their rhetoric.

How do they spread their rhetoric? With their words. Speech matters, speech influences, hate speech causes hate and hate causes hurt.

Promotion of hate speech, whether ironically or not, spreads the word of hate to people who then may act on that hate. Most people don't, it only takes a few to act on the hate people spread.

PDP didn't make the guy pull the trigger, but he clearly is implicated and if he wasn't involved in the far right, maybe, just maybe this guy wouldn't have been pushed over the edge.

Normalisation of hate online is becoming a really big problem and it needs addressing.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nah. that shit doesn't matter. "denouncing" and "taking a stance against" are the influencer version of "thoughts and prayers".

what he needs to do is realize that he has fucking responsibility and unfuck the content that he's putting out. no nazi jokes, no streams with ben shapiro, no discussions about how the wage gap is a myth. I'm not saying he needs to become noted leftist youtube superstar Hbomb Erguy, but like... he needs to get the alt-right horseshit out of his content or he needs to accept that his garbage leads to shit like this.
Yeah I get that but it is an immediate response to what's happening. It's a little better than say hes sickened.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope Pewds takes the time to talk about it in his next video. Must be terrible for him as well
Here's how it'll go:
"HEY BROS ITS PEWWWWWDIEPIE!!

LISTEN, THE MEDIA IS TRYING TO PAINT ME AS THE BAD GUY. HOW IS IT MY FAULT? I DIDNT SHOOT THOSE PEOPLE. I DISAVOW ALL FORMS OF HATRED EVEN THOUGH I CALLED A GUY THE N WORD ON STREAM. THE MEDIA IS BIASED BECAUSE THEY HATE YOUTUBERS LIKE ME.

SO I ASK YOU BROS TO SPREAD THE HASHTAG #PEWDIEPIEISINNOCENT ALL OVER SOCIAL MEDIA. SPREAD. THAT. HASHTAG."

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not feed the trolls. They won't be lasting long here, and I'd prefer them not to get the reactions that they're hoping for.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Youtube will grow a pair this time and shut down his channel, who am I kidding of course they won't.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no excuse for YouTube to continue to host him. Zero. If this isn't the reason what is it going to take?

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty hard to defend the guy when his name has been something people shout before committing terrorist attacks.
The guy has been indefensible for so long that I'm not surprised that the people that were defending him yesterday are still doing it today. PewDiePie is a human dogwhistle for white supremacy.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Sadly, agreed. Social media has a lot to answer for

Internet and social media are not synonymous. The internet is great when you ignore Twitter, Facebook, Youtubers, streamers, 4chan, 8chan, reddit, etc. Works for me.

Even more dangerous IMO is what THQ Nordic did. They put 8chan into the headlines of the same major gaming outlets I would have been visiting when I was 10 or 11.

That's not entirely accurate. Nordic made a Tweet about their AMA, which someone on a forum saw and made a thread about, which a media outlet saw and wrote an article about, then other outlets saw that article and wrote their own articles about it. I didn't even know 8chan existed until I read about it on this forum. Most people don't follow Nordic's twitter channel so if nobody had reported about it, it wouldn't have gotten any attention and I would still be blissfully unaware of 8chan's existence.

Now, you can argue that bringing offensive things to light is the only way to stop them. Sometimes that's true, sometimes not. However, 8chan isn't going anywhere and it's only gained a lot of exposure as a result of the coverage. The same is true of all the troll "games" on Steam. When you're specifically trying to be controversial, you actually want negative press because that means you've accomplished your goal. It also means you're more likely to reach your intended audience (i.e. people who share your views and thrive on seeing their "enemies" get angry).

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks) Downplaying hate speech
Maybe don't invite people like Ben Shapiro onto your channel for a fun meme time, as a start.

Maybe this has absolutely nothing to do with Ben Shapiro and you shouldn't bring someone else into the discussion to further your own agenda.

This is an incredibly sad and upsetting act. Don't muddy the waters unnecessarily.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This is why you should always curate and control your message/ audience. I'm nowhere near the level of influencer of PDP, but from day one I've been conscious of each and every piece of media I create: my words, opinions and attitudes therin.

Perhaps because I am a writer by nature, I innately understand that words have as much power as guns do to weaponize and destroy. You have a responsibility as a public figure to own your speech and the consequences, both good and bad, which come from that.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Do people in this thread do not know what radicalisation is?

How do you think people turn into killers like this? They're already unstable and people influence them with their rhetoric.

How do they spread their rhetoric? With their words. Speech matters, speech influences, hate speech causes hate and hate causes hurt.

Promotion of hate speech, whether ironically or not, spreads the word of hate to people who then may act on that hate. Most people don't, it only takes a few to act on the hate people spread.

PDP didn't make the guy pull the trigger, but he clearly is implicated and if he wasn't involved in the far right, maybe, just maybe this guy wouldn't have been pushed over the edge.

Normalisation of hate online is becoming a really big problem and it needs addressing.
Hell if every right wing source or sympathizer on the internet chose right now to print truth, be empathetic to marginalized people, actually spread a message of true equality and flatly and unequivocally renounce white supremacy, the KKK, nazism, etc. things actually could start to change. You'd actually start to suffocate and choke out the fire of xenophobia, racism, sexism, homophobia etc. that has infected so many parts of the world. We as a culture would actually have a chance to put our hateful pass behind us and move forward. I put this same point in another thread but such a drastic, singular, wide reaching change would change the way we talk about economics, about wealth, about education, health, war, criminal justice, just so so much. But people like PDP and Ben Shapiro and Baked Alaska and on just keep on doubling down on either spreading the rhetoric and/or reinforcing the beliefs of people who are desperate, violently desperate in seeing the people they hate die even at their own expense.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
This thread shows that we still have such a long way to go. So many obvious assholes making excuses for hate and racism. It's just so depressing. But here's to all in this thread who stood up against the tide of hate and ignorance and complacency. Keep up the fight.

+1

I just cant anymore.

How hard is it for these people to see that their words/social media can carry such a weight.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Internet is the biggest mistake in history.

The thing is stuff like this happened before the internet, but it was less widely broadcast. The internet isn't the issue, it's how we as a species deal with mental health, education and politics. Politics has become a shit show, its a shouting match now and maybe it always was. Rather than having civil discussions with each other Politicians are teaching people indirectly to go to the extreme to make their voices heard (shutting down government in America over the wall for instance).

This is awful news to wake up to. RIP to the innocent people :(

EDIT: I guess the internet at least does give people like PDP who can influence people like this an easier way of doing so, otherwise they'd need to do it in person like a lot of cult leaders did previously which severely diminishes their influence.

OP
OP
Sinder

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
That's not entirely accurate. Nordic made a Tweet about their AMA, which someone on a forum saw and made a thread about, which a media outlet saw and wrote an article about, then other outlets saw that article and wrote their own articles about it. I didn't even know 8chan existed until I read about it on this forum. Most people don't follow Nordic's twitter channel so if nobody had reported about it, it wouldn't have gotten any attention and I would still be blissfully unaware of 8chan's existence.

Now, you can argue that bringing offensive things to light is the only way to stop them. Sometimes that's true, sometimes not. However, 8chan isn't going anywhere and it's only gained a lot of exposure as a result of the coverage. The same is true of all the troll "games" on Steam. When you're specifically trying to be controversial, you actually want negative press because that means you've accomplished your goal. It also means you're more likely to reach your intended audience (i.e. people who share your views and thrive on seeing their "enemies" get angry).

THQ Nordic linked to 8chan in their Twitter post and decided to hold their AMA on 8chan. The onus is completely on them for making that decision, outlets then reported on exactly that as they should have. The blame lies squarely on THQ Nordic for holding that AMA.

Also, "they're not going anywhere" is defeatist bullshit.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this has absolutely nothing to do with Ben Shapiro and you shouldn't bring someone else into the discussion to further your own agenda.

This is an incredibly sad and upsetting act. Don't muddy the waters unnecessarily.

and maybe it has everything to do with people like Ben Shapiro you dumb motherfucker

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, the guy who writes articles like "Yes, Islam is at war with the west" and makes videos titled "They myth of the tiny radical muslim minority" has absolutely nothing to do with the spread of the ideologies that that lead to this tragedy.

OP
OP
Sinder

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

Ben Shapiro has been fermenting this shit for years. Don't fucking lie.