• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Can someone tell me why he's popular? On top of having zero charisma, talent, or anything unique to contribute, he's also incredibly unpleasant to look at. Yet I clicked on that tweet and there's a fucking army of people ready to defend him. I don't get it.
I have never understood it myself, but I've always figured it's because he acts immature and the immature youngsters relate to it. Being loud, obnoxious and irritating let's him fit right in to their circles.

OP
OP
Sinder

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
If a mod could edit into the title a notice about threadmarks I'd appreciate it. I put it in the op but that may not be enough.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
You've had people explain to you exactly why Pewdiepie is complicit in this and you just refuse to listen. These things don't happen in a vacuum, and here you have someone TELLING you who influenced them to do this, and you just say "yeah but how is that their fault" like you just spent your last brain cell remembering your own name. You're very obviously arguing in bad faith, no one should treat you or your posts respectfully

I doubt he mentioned pewdiepie as to thank him for his influence. "Subscribe to pewdiepie" is a very popular meme at the moment and its more likely he mentioned it as a sick joke.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm just trying to remember if it was the video where PewDiePie apologized for paying people to say "death to jews" or if it was the one where he apologized for using a racial slur that ended with him flipping off the camera.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
PDP has persistently welcomed, entertained, joked uncritically, and normalized the exact attitudes, ideas, and motivations for this slaughter. He's made mass killings like the Holocaust a key part of his "comedy" for his young, impressionable audience for years and years. He's massively influential, and he's shared and advocated for white supremacists and their propagandists with all the vigor of a true believer.

This killer directly alludes to that influence. PDP has consistently mocked the idea of any responsibility on these points, through a multitude of situations where he megaphoned the bigoted hatred that drove this killing. He playfully chides any criticism of it.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Not trying to defend pewdiepie or anything but how is he complicit? The choices an individual makes is ultimately up to that individual. So if this piece of shit decided to go massacre a bunch of innocent people that's on him.

Blaming YouTube, or pewdiepie, or anyone else for that matter doesn't make much sense, unless those aforementioned strictly instructed the guy to kill these people.

If we're gonna blame pewdiepie we might as well blast all right-wing media while we're at it.

"not trying to defend while I actively defend" the shooter called out to a PDP meme DIRECTLY.

Yes, this shooter is fucked up and yes its obviously on the individual BUT this shit does not get created in a vacuum ITS NOT JOKES and if you think right-wing media has nothing to do with it your insane, the manifesto is full of right-wing extremist talking points.

Are you being obtuse on purpose?

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the whole "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" a meme at this point with the whole sub count with T-Series and Pewdiepie? That guy was basically playing Initial D music and some other meme stuff from 4chan/8chan? I don't think he was a legit Pewdiepie superfan or some shit. You can see "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" everywhere now because of the whole "most subscribed channel on youtube versus" thing going on.

Cool cool cool. So him repeatedly saying racist and anti-Semitic shit on stream, signal boosting a literal neo nazi, and hanging out with white nationalists is totally irrelevant to the white nationalist terrorist who shouted him out before shooting a bunch of people?

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Is there no way the EU can do anything about 8chan?

PewDiePie is a sick goddamn idiot

But anyone throwing any blame on him for this is hypocritical as fuck, this is EXACTLY like blaming violence on video games.

Nope, but thanks to him and the shooter he inspired this is prime bait for the news to put out pieces blaming violence on video games.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of trolls in this thread. Accounts 2 years old, sub 100 posts, just asking questions. Shits as old as time.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
"I don't understand how influencers can influence people." "I mean really." "Propaganda can''t exist on youtube. Especially from my favorite streamer that i don't even like, pewds."

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying hate speech, Trolling, Disingenuous comparison
I'm not going to blame Pewdiepie for this heinous act for the same reason that I didn't blame Democracy Now or Bernie Sanders for the 2017 shooting at a congressional baseball team practice. Correlation doesn't equal causation. There are fucking awful, evil scumbags on this planet. I'm not defending Pewdiepie or his style of "humor." I don't like Pewdiepie or his despicable attempts at humor and find them to be offensive on a fundamental moral level but I'm also willing to wager he's far from the worst media these perpetrators interacted with. The eagerness of people to tie responsibility to him is foolish.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to blame Pewdiepie for this heinous act for the same reason that I didn't blame Democracy Now or Bernie Sanders for the 2017 shooting at a congressional baseball team practice. Correlation doesn't equal causation. There are fucking awful, evil scumbags on this planet. I'm not defending Pewdiepie or his style of "humor." I don't like Pewdiepie or his despicable attempts at humor and find them to be offensive on a fundamental moral level but I'm also willing to wager he's far from the worst media these perpetrators interacted with. The eagerness of people to tie responsibility to him is foolish.
Oh fuck off. The shooter also mentioned Candace Owens, are you saying she had nothing to do with this shit also?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm just trying to remember if it was the video where PewDiePie apologized for paying people to say "death to jews" or if it was the one where he apologized for using a racial slur that ended with him flipping off the camera.

Like why was this guy even liked in the first place? I remember his early videos where he would scream rape non-stop and even made multiple song videos about the subject. I just don't get how he was liked.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the whole "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" a meme at this point with the whole sub count with T-Series and Pewdiepie? That guy was basically playing Initial D music and some other meme stuff from 4chan/8chan? I don't think he was a legit Pewdiepie superfan or some shit. You can see "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" everywhere now because of the whole "most subscribed channel on youtube versus" thing going on.

What a complete mystery how the subscribe to Pewdiepie meme became so popular among white supremacists.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I doubt he mentioned pewdiepie as to thank him for his influence. "Subscribe to pewdiepie" is a very popular meme at the moment and its more likely he mentioned it as a sick joke.
Obviously he meant it as a meme, but if that's what you think to say before violently murdering people don't you think it's safe to assume that he is someone this guy was influenced by? If pewdiepie didn't have a history of racism and antisemitism and linking to and working with alt-right people, sure, I'd write it off as just a meme. But Pewdiepie is someone who has done ALL of that, and just recently boosted a nazi cartoon to his fanbase

It's not difficult to put this pieces together, people are just actively choosing not to because they don't want to question anything related to their hobby

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
So what about the other millions of people who watch that clown and ARENT shooting up churches?

A man helps normalize hateful ideas, but because most of his viewers don't go out and commit mass killings he's not complicit in any way with those that do? You're seeing this thread as people saying he's the sole cause of the shooting, and no one is saying that. But he is an influential figure that helped normalize the type of thinking that inspired the shooters, even if he's not the sole impetus.

I'm not sure what's so confusing about this.

Wampa

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Why the need to make excuses?

Lol this is something else. When you have to say im not defending a person. Your defending that person.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure what's hard to understand about this. PDP doesn't need to attend the funeral of the victims and personally apologize for killing their friends and family. No one expects that from him. He's being talked about because he is part of a larger cultural movement of continually demonizing minorities and excusing and even praising white supremacy.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Just don't understand who posters are talking to when they come out with stuff like this. "I'm not ... but" doesn't cut it anymore.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
PDP needs to understand the responsibility of fame and so must YouTube, streamers and Google. There must be a new set of rules to not let the idiots like PDP fester their services when they cross the line.

Responsibility.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Victims and survivors get targeted because they were muslims, even committed by a maniac, it's an hate crime.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I have never understood it myself, but I've always figured it's because he acts immature and the immature youngsters relate to it. Being loud, obnoxious and irritating let's him fit right in to their circles.

I'll never understand streamer culture. I saw a mob of people surrounding that Disrespect guy and he just looked so...pathetic in person. He's also apparently an asshole. The type of guy that would be working a shit job and hated by his coworkers if he hadn't gotten lucky as a streamer.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lots of trolls in this thread. Accounts 2 years old, sub 100 posts, just asking questions. Shits as old as time.
These cowardly fucks only comes out to troll and then crawl back to their corner thinking they said something so astoundingly insightful that we feeble normies will fail to grasp the concept when, in actuality, they only reveal their true vile nature and will be forgotten. No one is going to remember them. No one will talk about them. They'll just fade away as pathetic as they came

OP
OP
Sinder

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I'm not going to blame Pewdiepie for this heinous act for the same reason that I didn't blame Democracy Now or Bernie Sanders for the 2017 shooting at a congressional baseball team practice.
People have the need to connect to, to blame, to point fingers at and it's saddening how emotionally charged responses are.
It's apparent people cannot discusses this like grown ups, it's a one way street.

ezgif.com-resize.gif

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying hate speech.
People have the need to connect to, to blame, to point fingers at and it's saddening how emotionally charged responses are.
It's apparent people cannot discusses this like grown ups, it's a one way street.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Probably about as sincere as his apologies. You'd think this would be an eye opener that he should be a better person and the extent of his influence but I doubt it.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
You'd almost think that "PewDiePie fan" and "racist" were synonyms with the amount of "I'm not a PewDiePie fan but"s.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
How many times

How many times this year will PDP make the same exact apology on twitter

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Are Democracy Now and Bernie Sanders tied to an ideology that's deeply entrenched in violent and hateful rhetoric

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck you PewDiePie. And fuck everyone, even here, that argued and still does in how we should ignore these trolls and let them be. There's only one place where these trolls should be and is rotting in a prison.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more like being dragged through repeated deja vu of insanity seeing alt-right fuckheads and propaganda thrive and thrive and result in mass shootings while people continually chime in that there is no connection.

This shit is a science at this point.