• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which would you prefer?

• Remaster of Red Alert 2

Votes: 193 44.5%
  • Remake of Red Alert 2

Votes: 241 55.5%

• Total voters

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

screenshot for those on Firefox:

ap6bxlhs5p661.png

So, Era, I ask you: do you want a remaster or a remake of Red Alert 2?

EDIT:
The C&C Remastered Collection is currently 50% off, for those who have yet to purchase it!

Last edited:

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remaster - They have already shown they can nail it, so I have 100% faith in them doing so, and it will be awesome.

Remake - So many possibilities, but the chance it can be fucked up and completely lose the feel of the originals.

I'm sticking with remaster.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Red Alert 2 was already a great game (Minus some balancing issues massively favouring the Allies at the time I played it) so I think a Remaster would be great. Wouldn't object to either as these folks know what they're doing :)

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Remaster. Remake would require bigger budget and bigger numbers of unit sold. And with niche genre like, better play it safe.

If anything, I'd rather them remake C&C4.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why not both?

If I have to go with one or another, I'd say remaster. There's too much money involved with a remake and I can easily see the project being ruined. A 100% faithful remaster is a sure thing.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Remaster. Nothing wrong with the original, just needs.. remastering.

The C&C Remastered Collection is the gold standard for remasters in gaming, so I've every confidence they can bring the old game back, new.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I'd say a remaster is all that is needed. CC remastered is already proof of that.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Referring to them as the makers of Command and Conquer Remastered is understating it a bit. The studio was created by ex-Westwood staff.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The game is a pinnacle of its time, I don't really see how doing something like converting it to 3D would improve it at all - it'll just end up messing up the art style and causing other inadvertent differences. But I don't really trust people to choose the option with the least flashy graphics, unfortunately.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Playing through both remasters now. Incredible job. So many memories. I highly recommend it.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
When I see "remake," I think of the trash fire that is WarCraft III Reforged. Nope. That's as tall of a "nope" as I can muster.

Ultimately, I'd prefer the path of least resistance for the devs, in case the team has to hack away at the original game for any particular reason (lost code, broken implementations, whatever). Just give me RA2 at arbitrary resolutions with decent online play, however they wanna do it.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FYI: C&C Remastered Collection is 50% off on Steam right now.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I don't think you really need to remake it. The game is pretty perfect as-is and just needs a graphical touch-up rather than a full remake.

A remake in my eyes unless I'm thinking of it wrong, would just be Red Alert 3 but with the RA2 campaign/features. Not really what I'd want as the gameplay took a nose dive with generals and the C&C3 engine.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
A remake has a far bigger chance of ending up being bad.

Even visual could end up being worst, I can easily imagine ending up with 3d models looking worst than remastered 2d visuals.

Do a remaster ( for tiberian sun too plz ), then make a new red alert &/or C&C.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Just remaster it. And also Tiberian Sun too.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Remaster - They have already shown they can nail it, so I have 100% faith in them doing so, and it will be awesome.

Remake - So many possibilities, but the chance it can be fucked up and completely lose the feel of the originals.

I'm sticking with remaster.

This.

Switching to the Generals engine ruined the series for me. RA2 is the last time they used voxel tech and it was incredible. A remaster would mean enhancing that and improving it beyond what it was and as the quoted post said, nailing the execution.

Remaking it would be too risky and there's not "enough wrong with the game" to justify a remake, IMO. If this gets remade I'll be real sad. I just want RA2 done the way the current remastered games are.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
The current remaster of the first game already used completely remade graphics and some games class that as a remake. If that's what they mean by a remaster then that's exactly what I want.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Nostalgia is a big factor for me, so I would probably prefer a remaster. I have not been thrilled by some of the more recent (well, sorta) C&C games.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I'd love for this to come to PS5 even though I fully get that PC is the place for these type of games. Obviously I don't game on PC. I did have a blast with 8 bit armies/hordes/invaders on PS4 which I believe were all made by Peteroglyph.

Kwyjibo

Oct 31, 2017
I want a remake as the current version is absolutely fine as it is.

But can we trust that a remake will be faithful.

I don't care either way, I just want the official online servers switched back on.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Remaster would be good, I think. I think it's aged pretty well and don't want to risk changing the feel of the game with a remake.

Red Alert 2 is one of the most memorable and influential games for me. It is what got me into strategy games of any kind in the first place (one of my favorite genres now).

I was 8 when it came out, and my dad was still into PC gaming at the time and had picked it up. I ended up playing the game all the fucking time lol. I still remember picking up the Yuri's Revenge expansion at K-Mart with my dad the week it came out lmao.

Just remaster it. And also Tiberian Sun too.
Yes please! Tiberian Sun was my other favorite.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Remake if the original is easily obtainable (Don't have to purchase a Collection in order to access it. Is that still a thing?)

Remaster if they would delist the original.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Remastered Collection 2 (Tiberian Sun + RA2), please.

Remakes are... iffy. Age of Empires 2 DE did a solid job, but even so, it's still running the Advanced Genie Engine under the hood, so it's not *really* a remake- more like "remaster on steroids"

And the less said about Reforged, the better.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original is still great today. So i would love to see a remake.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
TD/RA1 is one of the best remasters ever made. I want Tiberian Sun and RA2 to get that same love. Then Tiberian Wars and Generals (I never played RA3 heard it's good and that Greg Kasavin had a hand in it)

In terms of remake? Honestly 4 should get a complete reimagining. Has there ever been something like that in games? I think the Ys games had two different IVs if I'm remembering correctly. Also I think Superman Returns ignored everything past Superman II.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I am way more curious what a remake would be like. A remaster would just be RA2 in higher resolution, not a bad thing in itself, but a remake would open up a lot more possibilities.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
It's also worth noting that there's no way to play RA2 on Windows 10 without a good amount of work and frustration- especially if you don't own the original versions of the game and it's expansion.

I have CnC First Decade and it took me days to finally get it working on my Win 10 PC because most of the no-cd fixes people have released over the years either aren't for the versions they are supposed to be or they straight up just don't work. Even if you get past that hurdle you could end up breaking your ability to launch them again once you apply other fixes people have released to make the games play nicer with modern systems.

A remaster would mean we'd essentially get the original games as they were intended, but with enhancements and fixes and updates and the ability to purchase and play it on modern systems without headache. With a remake you'd still have to go through all of that nonsense just to play them. (and i doubt ccnet are going to release all-in-one installers for RA2 like they did with TS)

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
The idea of a remake is tantalising of course, but the reality is a remake would likely disappoint.

Just go for the Remaster. This sadly implies they are not already working on a Remaster, which I hoped they would have started soon after C&C Remaster.