• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017

Everything about this scene is just *chef kiss*. The perfect "hero discovering their powers" scene and the best in any CBM.

Go web go!

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
At some point the entirety of Raimi's first two Spider-Man movies are gonna be posted on this board.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The perfect "hero discovering their powers" scene and the best in any CBM.
giphy.webp

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never understood those microscopic hairs to be able to crawl... Like organic webshooters, unnecesary weird.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Raimi movies were good superhero movies for the time, bad spiderrman movies and even worse peter parker ones

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bio web shooting is a crime against humanity though
I mean, super hot take on here, but...

Coming from someone who never read the comics, and only found out that spiderman is supposed to have mechanized web shooters when Amazing Spiderman came out...

I think the bio ones are way better. It just makes more "super hero" sense to me. Because as it stands, to my limited knowledge, he got bit by a radioactive spider and got super strength, agility, etc for reasons that are basically explained by "a spiders strength relative to their size, scaled up, explain why a human is so strong and agile." They even are unclear on his wall climbing ability which has gone through iterations from being biological (hairs in the raimi films), electrostatic (comics) to the official explanation of "enhance the flux of inter-atomic attractive forces on surfaces he touches, increasing the coefficient of friction between that surface and himself"

They try not to get too specific because with most super hero things, if you try to science explain it too much it gets WAY too easy to poke holes in it.

I just think its lame that a spider bite just made him a super strength, heightened senses ninja and then he developed shooters and a web fluid to be "on brand" or some shit.

From a superhero standpoint, I like the Tobey films a lot better. He gained biological super powers that he can hone. That feels more satisfying to me than adjustments to his suit and web shooters. In the MCU he's basically given a version of an iron man suit without thrusters.

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it last year for the first time since release. It didn't hold up at all. I'm so happy we have the MCU and a spidey actor that remotely looks like a teenager rather than some grown ass man playing a kid. What is this, The OC?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, super hot take on here, but...

Coming from someone who never read the comics, and only found out that spiderman is supposed to have mechanized web shooters when Amazing Spiderman came out...

I think the bio ones are way better. It just makes more "super hero" sense to me. Because as it stands, to my limited knowledge, he got bit by a radioactive spider and got super strength, agility, etc for reasons that are basically explained by "a spiders strength relative to their size, scaled up, explain why a human is so strong and agile." They even are unclear on his wall climbing ability which has gone through iterations from being biological (hairs in the raimi films), electrostatic (comics) to the official explanation of "enhance the flux of inter-atomic attractive forces on surfaces he touches, increasing the coefficient of friction between that surface and himself"

They try not to get too specific because with most super hero things, if you try to science explain it too much it gets WAY too easy to poke holes in it.

I just think its lame that a spider bite just made him a super strength, heightened senses ninja and then he developed shooters and a web fluid to be "on brand" or some shit.

From a superhero standpoint, I like the Tobey films a lot better. He gained biological super powers that he can hone. That feels more satisfying to me than adjustments to his suit and web shooters. In the MCU he's basically given a version of an iron man suit without thrusters.

Again it allowed him to demonstrate that he's more than just his powers.... that's even more heroic

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I swear every mundane scene from this series gets lauded as the greatest ever on this site.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Are the hairs/barbs supposed to be passing through his gloves/knees/pants/suit?
In comics it's a form of electro magnetism. His daughter takes it a step farther she can not only stick to stuff but she can sticks things together and can repel things

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In comics it's a form of electro magnetism. His daughter takes it a step farther she can not only stick to stuff but she can sticks things together and can repel things

Oh I really mean as he's crawling up the wall for the first time in the Raimi movie - his jeans/knees seem to be covering for his wearing of "normal" shoes - I'm actually not a purist on any of the versions but the barbs makes visual sense and logical sense in that scene.

I agree that organic web shooters detract from his cleverness and agency - but they certainly work as a piece of internal consistency and a "normal" superhero outcome. The mechanical ones used to be a constant source of unreliable headaches and plot points like the Millennium Falcon when I was reading them back in the day (landscape format - reprinted and redesigned to fit on newspaper remnants by DC Thompson in Scotland).

TBH I have been fine with most of those sorts of changes. Back and forth.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im glad there's a very low ceiling for my nostalgia. These movies get worse the more people bring them up.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It just sucks because it removes a key genius to Parker... and opens up a bunch of weird biological and physiological questions lol
genius question? that's not ruined.

he still looks human so why does it mattee where the web comes?

Also, spiders stick to walls differently from spiderman as he can through clothing or his suit. so not realisitic. dumb comics ruining my science. fucking thing sucks.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I like the sense of wonder that he has of exploring his powers. It's a shame how the current movies misinterpreted the material into a whole new derivative character.