• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Peter vs Phil

• Phil Collins

Votes: 135 48.7%
  • Peter Gabriel

Votes: 127 45.8%
  • Tom Brady

Votes: 15 5.4%

• Total voters

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Best Gabriel song for me, no question.

I've always heard these guys' songs on the radio, but I'm not overly familiar with either one's body of work. It's not that I don't like them, but I've never gone out of my way to seek out their music. Anyway, I saw the name Solsbury Hill, and had no clue what it was just from the name, but as soon as I clicked on it, I was like, "Oh, THAT song."

This is something that seems to happen to me a lot. 😂

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
Like them both immensely. Might give Phil the edge though. Was just listening to an old Genesis song, Supper's Ready, that both had performed. Like the Phil sound better.

My heart says Peter Gabriel, but my head says Phil Collins.

My heart says Phil Collins, but my head says Peter Gabriel.

Gabriel is more cerebral to me. Collins songs can be more poppy, but his voice gives me chills at times.

My spicy hot take:

Peter Gabriel - solo
Phil Collins - Genesis

Agreed.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I love both of them, but if I have to pick one, it's Gabriel.

Even in his 60s, the man was good. This video popped up in my rotation and I can't stop listening to it.

Also, when did they both get old, they're both 70.

Last edited:

BTails

Oct 26, 2017
Genesis is far and away my favourite band of all time. I love their entire catalog, and am a fan of both PG and PC's solo work too, so this is a super difficult decisions. At the end of the day, I think I reach for PG solo stuff more, but PC Genesis. My favourite run of albums has to be Trick of the Tail through to Duke.... so I voted Phil.

That being said, I had the pleasure of seeing Peter when he did his tour with Sting around 4 years ago and he was absolutely mind boggling good in concert. Still keeping my fingers crossed I get to see Genesis in October...the shows have been rescheduled twice now

Sep 10, 2020
That being said, I had the pleasure of seeing Peter when he did his tour with Sting around 4 years ago and he was absolutely mind boggling good in concert. Still keeping my fingers crossed I get to see Genesis in October...the shows have been rescheduled twice now
I saw that tour too! It was really phenomenal.

Staal

Oct 27, 2017
Who did Tarzan again? Oh yeah, he also did this.

ThreeSides82.jpg

One of the best live albums of all time. No contest.
Hell yeah, that's a f*ing fantastic album!

Phil it is, never listened to Genesis with Peter Gabriel.

Rimpim

Banned
Feb 7, 2021
Gabriel, he is a nice guy irl (Plus sledgehammer is a banger)

Collins, not so much.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Phil Collins was the better Genesis frontman during the prog era but Peter Gabriel was the better pop act.

Steve Hackett was the GOAT Genesis contributor though. It felt like his songwriting influences got more room to shine after Gabriel left. After Hackett left in the late 70s it was a steep downhill.

Apr 9, 2019
Peak Collins is magnificent from a vocal technique standpoint. His intonation and dynamics in the late '80s were something else. Gabriel at the time wasn't as polished a singer - he's much more emotionally driven and seems to sing more from his heart compared to Collins. Collins sounds much more like a perfectionist who's sanded the rough edges off of his performances, while Gabriel is a storyteller through and through.

Both have their strengths, though these days I'm more attracted to Gabriels vocal style because of his voice's character.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
One of my proudest moments as a mid-30's sales manager was introducing it to a team of early-20's reps and seeing them all fall in love with it. It became our "win song" when we won a contest as a team to go to a baseball game or dave & busters. I loved this song as a child and getting to rediscover it and share it with a new generation of awesome folks --- I'll always have positive feelings tied to it:

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
Phil Collins. I love Gabriel's voice but he's a bit too clownish for my taste, especially during his Genesis era. The video in the OP is a good example, cringe worthy material.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
I find Phil Collins to be a great, intelligent and exceptiobal drummer which capabilities and style really add something special to the music of Genesis, but also music in general.

For example, Phil drumming as guest live on Jethro Tull's Pussy Willow add so much to this Tull song (to be fair, Tull always had good, but never exceptional drummers):

I can really see he was at one point to become the successor of Bill Bruford at Yes.

Therefore, I like him a lot more as drummer than as singer of Genesis, for which I vastly prefer Peter Gabriel.

That doesn't mean I find him a bad singer, on the contrary. Maybe my opinion is influenced by the fact I prefer the old to the new Genesis by far (although I love Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wutherings with Phil behind the mic).

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
I can really see he was at one point to become the successor of Bill Bruford at Yes.

Man, what a waste of Phil's talent that would have been lol.

They're both different classes of musician: I think Phil, with his big band/motown influence combined with impeccible songwriting and skill in percussion ultimately brought more to the table, but Peter's work has a timeless quality about it and he can still make a great song (like 'the veil' from Snowden). Secret World era is gold.

As for genesis; my hot take is trick of the tail is pound for the pound the best album. Loved the gabriel era as a kid, now I'm too old and impatient to sit through something like The Musical Box.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
I used to think it was Gabriel but as I have gotten older, I have grown to prefer Collins. Sussudio is a banger.

RedQueensAce

Oct 10, 2020
This thread led me down a Peter Gabriel music video road. I loved every second. Stuff like In Your Eyes and Steam was the music of my childhood because of my dad.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
One of my proudest moments as a mid-30's sales manager was introducing it to a team of early-20's reps and seeing them all fall in love with it. It became our "win song" when we won a contest as a team to go to a baseball game or dave & busters. I loved this song as a child and getting to rediscover it and share it with a new generation of awesome folks --- I'll always have positive feelings tied to it:

damn that's such a cool video

anyway I think Peter Gabriel is the better artist and prefer him, but when I am around friends I'm more likely to play Collins.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I like Peter better as a solo act. He certainly took Genesis to some creative places, but I enjoy Phil's tenure as lead singer WAY more.

Brokofiev

Jun 20, 2019
Whoever was there for most of their more progressive stuff. At some point they kinda turned into a boring pop rock band. I guess that had more mass appeal, but most of their music from that point on was a real snoozefest.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nice little treat I came across:
Audience recordings (the only source, unfortunately) of the 1982 one-off reunion concert with the full original line-up (plus Stuemer and Thompson):

BTails

Oct 26, 2017
Nice little treat I came across:
Audience recordings (the only source, unfortunately) of the 1982 one-off reunion concert with the full original line-up (plus Stuemer and Thompson)

Yes, unfortunately only audience recordings exist for the Six of the Best show, however there are some really nice quality recordings of the rehearsal for the show (I believe they only did one rehearsal session).

As a massive Genesis fan, there's unfortunately some pretty large gaps in what's available, bootleg or otherwise. The lack of professionally filmed Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour footage is criminal.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I'm not much of a music buff so I just stick to radio that plays hits and I know most of Phil Collins songs because the man was a hit legend. Incredible song after incredible song, catchy, fun, memorable songs.

I know Gabriel from his few hit songs that are actually played on the radio. I know music fans actually have heard his catalog but I haven't. So I'll stick to the legend, Phil Collins.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna have to give it to Phil Collins.

Peter Gabriel is great, but I honestly feel like his solo stuff seems dated. Melodies Phil came up with in tracks like Sussudio are bops even in 2021.

People saying Peter Gabriel are just embarrassed Phil Collins fans, admit it.

Last edited:

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
Peter Gabriel is the man, although I really like Phil Collins as well.

The live version of The Lamb from The Archives is just one of the best pieces of music I've ever heard. Just pure talent and weird awesomeness.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I used to think it was Gabriel but as I have gotten older, I have grown to prefer Collins. Sussudio is a banger.

Same here. And I'm a huge Gabriel fan. Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering have really grown on me too in my old age. I've also been really into Collins' drumming lately. His drum work in the fusion group Brand X is mind-blowing. Of course Gabriel's solo albums are phenomenal. He had that one huge, almost unmatched 3 album run from Melting Face to Security to So. I love Passion as well. But he kinda ran out of steam (excuse the pun) with Us and Up. Decent albums, some good songs, but lots of forgettable filler too. I think he sensed his creative output waning so he really hasn't done much in the last 20 years besides some side projects and remixing. I kind of doubt we'll ever see a proper album from him again.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
If you're too young to have seen it, the song was already huge, but In the Air Tonight's use in the premiere episode of Miami Vice changed TV. Check out this scene:

Miami Vice In The Air Tonight Scene Good Quality - YouTube

I still remember seeing this scene as a kid. Riveting, legendary. That camera work.

Phil was cool in the hood and my dad listened to Collins era Genesis so I'm probably too biased by nostalgia to vote.

Sledgehammer is a banger though. We still have VHS tapes full of all of the weird 80s music videos.

May 26, 2018
Collins has more pop hits, and for good reason, and Gabriel's work is more my texture when it comes to music. They're both pretty dang good.