• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Peter vs Phil

• Phil Collins

Votes: 135 48.7%
  • Peter Gabriel

Votes: 127 45.8%
  • Tom Brady

Votes: 15 5.4%

• Total voters

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Which one of these Genesis singer is your favorite? Both as the lead singer of Genesis and as a solo artist.

Phil Collins led Genesis

Peter Gabriel led Genesis

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
c22ac363-9514-4f16-87ef-a317615e080f_screenshot.jpg

Dec 6, 2017
US
Phil Collins because he at the very least had one song in his entire solo career that I dig with In The Air Tonight. Gabriel's Sledgehammer haunted my childhood, I hated that song and that disgusting video so much.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
The best Genesis album - by a margin - is THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY. And Gabriel wrote Solsbury Hill, the best solo song by either men. (I love a lot of 80s pop Genesis, mind you.)

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hipsters, cool kids and elitists will say Gabriel (who is amazing too), but Phil Collins is the truth.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Both are good but Gabriel is better to me...Genesis was and will always be Gabriel singing and Collins drumming with back up vocals,although Trick of The Tail and Wind and Wuthering where good also(One for the Vine was awesome).

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I discovered Genesis for myself with Phil Collins so that settles that discussion for me. I also love Phil's body of solo work more because I'm more familiar with it, saw himin concert etc.. That said Peter Gabriel is fantastic, too. Solsbury Hills is one of my all time favorite songs. I just haven't been as exposed to him outside his hits.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
New Blood is singlehandedly better than anything Collins has ever done. Gabriel is on a different level, no offense to Phil

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Collins for sure. There are a number of songs from his Genesis era and solo that I like. Can't say the same for Gabriel. I've likely listened to it all but Gabriel just isn't my cup of tea.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Should have a poll but definitely Gabriel. Genesis was better under him and his solo output is much more interesting (though Phil Collins does have some great hits).

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Who did Tarzan again? Oh yeah, he also did this.

ThreeSides82.jpg

One of the best live albums of all time. No contest.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I personally prefer Collins by a pretty wide margin. Not a big Genesis fan in general, and I just like Phil's solo output more. In the Air Tonight is one of the best songs of all time, it's remarkably timeless.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Peter Gabriel is probably more brilliant, but I personally like Phil Collins pop career after Gabrielle more. I feel the same way about John Lennon and Paul McCartney. John Lennon is probably more brilliant, but I personally like Paul McCartney's pop music more.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Peter Gabriel is probably more brilliant, but I personally like Phil Collins pop career after Gabrielle more. I feel the same way about John Lennon and Paul McCartney. John Lennon is probably more brilliant, but I personally like Paul McCartney's pop music more.
yeah, this is probably true. i could say I like Gabriel more, but there's a reason the algorithms keep serving me more Collins haha

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Peter Gabriel by far in both categories.

Also Gabriel's score for The Last Temptation of the Christ is one of my all time favorite film scores.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They both have songs I like, and I think I would take my favorite Garbiel songs over Collin's. But, Collin's has more songs I like.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Do I deserve a stoning if I say "The Book of Love" effects me on a deeply personal level?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Now that Peter Gabrielle has organically come up I want to share my hot take that I think Don't Give Up (one of my favorite of his hits) was written after Peter Gabrielle listened to Bridge Over Trouble Water like 40 times in a row.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
So might be the greatest pop album of all time, definitely of the 80s. Red Rain to Sledgehammer to Don't Give up is such a perfect 3 song stretch, not to mention it has a collab with the absolute queen Kate Bush. Phil Collins is also great, but it's not even close.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Collins Genesis > Gabriel Genesis, but Gabriel solo career > Collins solo career. And I like Phil's solo work, but So is one of the best albums of all time.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Peter Gabriel. Seen him in concert twice (Us and Up tours). Seen Collins fronted Genesis too (Invisible Touch tour). But in my book, no comparison, politically/socially or musically.

Oct 27, 2017
Not too familiar with Genesis to say who was better within the group but, as far as solo careers are concerned, Gabriel in a landslide.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

youtu.be

Peter Gabriel - Steam

The official Steam video. Directed by Stephen R. Johnson.The second single from Peter's sixth album, US, was released in 1993. The album US continued the now...