• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
The Founders knew better and Pete does as well.

Portraying slavery as some whoopsie daisy rather than evil and massive economic exploitation justified and maintained by racist theories of white supremacy is bullshit.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
If they didn't know it, then let's also throw out all the other bad stuff they didn't know about too

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
He made his new will freeing his slaves in the Summer of 1799, and died in December, falling seriously ill and dead within a day. Good point.

Out of the Southern Founding Fathers, he freed the most significant and substantial portion of his slaves vs his counterparts, (Northerners also freed their slaves but arguably, the economic impact on them was probably much less than on Washington). A quick look at Wikipedia shows Robert Carter freed the most slaves in this time period, but faced resistance from the law, and his heirs but it was successful through it took a long time.

Its also notable to note that freeing slaves occurred due to rising costs for upkeep, so probably some portions of those freeing slaves were motivated with no longer having to take care of them. In that sense, Robert Carter and Washington's wills did attempt to ensure the freedmen would get assistance from the estate beyond what was mandated by law.

Through both could have just sold off their estates to fund the freeing of slaves. I wonder how much resistance their heirs would have offered, and if they could overturn those decisions, had they occur?

That's a really interesting point, law at the time actually prevented him from freeing a lot of his slavers because they were married to Martha's slaves. His heirs also were against them being freed. We can't really know what family or legal pressure was being applied.

Oct 29, 2017
The Founders knew better and Pete does as well.

Portraying slavery as some whoopsie daisy rather than evil and massive economic exploitation justified and maintained by racist theories of white supremacy is bullshit.

It's also not surprising to hear from a candidate who sees black voters as stepping stones--or obstacles.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This line of thinking always felt like the grandchild of the white man's burden arguement

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Just some random food for thought things.

Council of Koblenz, 922. - 810 years before George Washington was born
7. Also the question was put what should be done concerning him who led away a Christian man and then sold him; and the reply of all was that he should be guilty of homicide.

Council of London, 1102. - 630 years before George Washington was born
27. Let no one presume for the future to enter into that nefarious business by which they were accustomed hitherto to sell men like brute animals in England.

New Laws of the Indies for the Good Treatment and Preservation of the Indians (1532) - 200 years before George Washington was born
Item: We order and command that from now on, for no cause of war or any other, even if it is a title of rebellion, or by ransom or otherwise, no Indian slave can be made, and we want them to be treated as our vassals of the [royal] crown of Castile, they are.

No person can use the Indians by way of naboria, or tapia, or any other way, against their will.

As we have commanded to provide that hereby by no means the Indian slaves are made, I yearned for those that have been made up to this point against reason and right, and against the provisions and instructions given, we order and command that absentees, called the parties, without question, summarily and briefly, only the known truth, release them, if the people who turned them into slaves do not show title how they have them and rightfully possess them; and because in the absence of people requesting the aforementioned, the Indians do not remain unfairly slaves, we order that the absentee put people who follow the Indians for this cause, and be paid for camera penalties, and be men of trust and diligence.
http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/servlet/SirveObras/06922752100647273089079/p0000026.htm (Google translate)

In Defense of the Indians (1548) by Bartolomé de las Casas - 184 years before George Washington was born
Christ seeks souls, not property. ... He who wants a large part of mankind to be such that ... he may act like a ferocious executioner toward them, press them into slavery, and through them grow rich, is a despotic master, not a Christian; a son of Satan, not of God; a plunderer, not a shepherd.

History of the Indies (1561) by Bartolomé de las Casas - 171 years before George Washington was born
Their reason for killing and destroying such an infinite number of souls is that the Christians have an ultimate aim, which is to acquire gold, and to swell themselves with riches in a very brief time and thus rise to a high estate disproportionate to their merits.
The Indians were totally deprived of their freedom and were put into the harshest, fiercest, most horrible servitude and captivity which no one who has not seen it can understand. Even beasts enjoy more freedom when they are allowed to graze in the field.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
In Defense of the Indians (1548) by Bartolomé de las Casas - 184 years before George Washington was born

You do know once they exhausted the supply of native labor (between disease and conditions) they went ahead imported enslaved Africans right? The Crown in Spain absolutely had their own selfish reasons for passing these laws, including tightening control over the colonies, not enslaving them in order to turn them into good Catholics (genocide), and ensure the labor supply didn't die off.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
You do know once they exhausted the supply of native labor (between disease and conditions) they went ahead imported enslaved Africans right? The Crown in Spain absolutely had their own selfish reasons for passing these laws, including tightening control over the colonies, not enslaving them in order to turn them into good Catholics (genocide), and ensure the labor supply didn't die off.
Right, and the colonists also killed the viceroy who was meant to employ the law stopping slavery of the Native Indians in the first place. I'm not trying to present Spain as good and the US as evil.

What I'm trying to point out is that no one was ignorant of what they were doing even before the founding fathers of the USA; slavery wasn't a whoopsie or a holdover from a more foolish age. There were people who wanted slavery because they gained from it, and they fought against the efforts to stop or curb slavery.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
That's a really interesting point, law at the time actually prevented him from freeing a lot of his slavers because they were married to Martha's slaves. His heirs also were against them being freed. We can't really know what family or legal pressure was being applied.

Not exactly that law prevented that (slave marriage was no consideration legally and rarely considered by slaveowners) he was reluctant to free those he owned personally without attaining the freedom of the slaves' family, many of whom were owned by Martha's family and heirs. He either never got the money to do so, or couldn't convince them to free them. Robert Carter basically willed his remaining slaves to a attorney who continued the long-term manumission and administration of the estate, and incurred a lawsuit by his heirs against the attorney to regain ownership.

Right, and the colonists also killed the viceroy who was meant to employ the law stopping slavery of the Native Indians in the first place. I'm not trying to present Spain as good and the US as evil.

What I'm trying to point out is that no one was ignorant of what they were doing even before the founding fathers of the USA; slavery wasn't a whoopsie or a holdover from a more foolish age. There were people who wanted slavery because they gained from it, and they fought against the efforts to stop or curb slavery.

Indeed.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how one could honestly believe that except out of extreme and complete willful ignorance, which can't be applied here given his education. The writings of the founding fathers are so prevalent in US history education that you can't avoid being exposed to them at some point, especially as a history major. They knew it was wrong and wrote about how it was wrong. Even if he didn't study US history (which there's no way he didn't study it at all given he's from here), people knew it was wrong throughout the colonial period and before.

That's an intentional whitewashing.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao people will give White folks a pass for anything. 50 year old Biden was too young to know that segregation was wrong, 18 yr old Hillary who campaigned for a segregationist didn't know it was wrong and in 2014 Mayor Pete is still a perpetually innocent White kid that gets the benefit of the doubt for this nonsense.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Not exactly that law prevented that (slave marriage was no consideration legally and rarely considered by slaveowners) he was reluctant to free those he owned personally without attaining the freedom of the slaves' family, many of whom were owned by Martha's family and heirs. He either never got the money to do so, or couldn't convince them to free them. Robert Carter basically willed his remaining slaves to a attorney who continued the long-term manumission and administration of the estate, and incurred a lawsuit by his heirs against the attorney to regain ownership.
Ah that's right.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is actually part of a very clever strategy.
If he can get his support among black voters low enough it'll overflow and wrap back around to 99%.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
im glad this forum seems to be coming to its senses after giving him the benefit of the doubt (because he's gay and gay people can't be racist) the 800 other time he said something evil

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
im glad this forum seems to be coming to its senses after giving him the benefit of the doubt (because he's gay and gay people can't be racist) the 800 other time he said something evil
I highly, highly doubt anyone has seriously said gay people can't be racist but if you can prove me wrong I'd love (well, wouldn't love but you know) to see it.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Why the fuck would that be an excuse even if it were true?

I don't care who you were, what time you lived in, owning another human is objectively fucking wrong.

Fuck em.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
As an lgbt person it makes me ashamed that he is the top gay candidate right now.

Us gays can do better. Us gays should know better.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Coming late to the thread, obviously he is grossly wrong--they fully knew it was evil, they didn't care in various ways--but I refuse to believe a historian could sincerely be this wrong. This was a big issue for the Founders and they discussed it extensively. If you know anything about the period at all, you know that.

This is why Buttigieg really worries me and I may even prefer Biden to him, and I greatly dislike Biden. He is deliberately lying due to his personal ambition. He has no principles. This guy is dangerous.

Last edited:

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Slave owners were so aware what they were doing was evil and inhumane, that their ministers invented the myth of black people being the cursed offspring of Caanan in order to "justify" the african slave trade from a religious perspective. This is relevant to this conversation, because Pete also identifies as a christian. And this is an enormous part of the legacy of christianity in this country.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Ok, for fucks sake. Enough is enough. Can we please just throw Butti in the trash already and be done with it. I mean how many chances can this guy get? People threw Beto to the side and called him the most centre-right dem nominee for far less than Butti has shown. if it wasn't clear before, it should be clear by now. I dont care how well he speaks, Butti is trash. He is not progressive. He is not for the people.

Jun 20, 2019
Slave owners were so aware what they were doing was evil and inhumane, that their ministers invented the myth of black people being the cursed offspring of Caanan in order to "justify" the african slave trade from a religious perspective. This is relevant to this conversation, because Pete also identifies as a christian. And this is an enormous part of the legacy of christianity in this country.
That's an excellent point. If you're a white Christian in this country, particularly a white Christian with a decent education in American history, you ought to make yourself aware of how dominant religious movements in this country were birthed and nurtured precisely to provide a scrap of moral cover for slavery, genocide of native people, and white imperialism.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Geez, even Washington knew it was wrong, Lafeyette had a whole thing with him trying to free his slaves without bankrupting himself.

Also, the founders were famous for deep debates. You think the "con" side of the 3/5ths comprompise people didn't get their point across? I'm sure as hell they did.

Weren't most of the slaves at the estate owned by the Marthas estate (Custis family).. meaning he legally didn't own them so he couldn't free them.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
tenor.gif

God damn you, I had the GIF all loaded up and ready to go, lol

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
He did, he inherited them, and he evolved his opinions on it over time, freed the slaves he owned, provided for their welfare, and spoke about the essential moral bankruptcy of the institution.

The ability to admit you were wrong and then work to improve the situation as best you can is a sign of strong character.
I don't believe this is true.

Washington stipulated in his will that most of Martha and his slaves were not to be released until her Martha's death.

Even though he knew it was wrong, he did not want to inconvenience or make a real sacrifice for himself or his living heirs.

I have a hard time squaring that with your description of Washington having a strong character in that regard.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I don't believe this is true.

Washington stipulated in his will that most of Martha and his slaves were not to be released until her Martha's death.

Even though he knew it was wrong, he did not want to inconvenience or make a real sacrifice for himself or his living heirs.

I have a hard time squaring that with your description of Washington having a strong character in that regard.
He stipulated that his slaves that were married to Martha's slaves were to be released together so the families weren't broken up.

That caused some problems because Martha's slaves were owned by her and her family, and Washington didn't have the right to free them.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Pete must have fell asleep during the screenings of 1776 in school.

Pete's so damn slimy.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He did, he inherited them, and he evolved his opinions on it over time, freed the slaves he owned, provided for their welfare, and spoke about the essential moral bankruptcy of the institution.

The ability to admit you were wrong and then work to improve the situation as best you can is a sign of strong character.
Let's not wax poetic about good old George. He was raping Black women and girls. Is this a "he rapes but he saves" thing?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when the entire news media and some Libs got angry when a Black dude called Pete a Lyin' Motherfucker?? Lmao

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The black electorate can smell bullshit from a mile away. We've been hip to who Pete is, glad more and more people are seeing it

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Let's not wax poetic about good old George. He was raping Black women and girls. Is this a "he rapes but he saves" thing?

I've been looking for a source for the GW rapes as you stated but I haven't been able to find one. Multiple sources have reported that there was never any register of that happening. Do you have a source?

and

" It was never recorded that George Washington sexually abused any of his slaves, but Betty was still vulnerable to exploitation by other men at Mount Vernon, as well as at the White House plantation. " Source 22

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Umm, what?

Can you expand on this?
There's nothing to expand on. Slaveowners were rapists and sex traffickers.
I've been looking for a source for the GW rapes as you stated but I haven't been able to find one. Multiple sources have reported that there was never any register of that happening. Do you have a source?

and

" It was never recorded that George Washington sexually abused any of his slaves, but Betty was still vulnerable to exploitation by other men at Mount Vernon, as well as at the White House plantation. " Source 22
Rape wasn't reported, so it didn't happen? This is the argument we're making in 2020?

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they didn't know it was bad then why didn't they become slaves? Surely one of these people would have tried it out.

and

There is no register of Trump working with the Russians to hack and steal the election either.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Rape wasn't reported, so it didn't happen? This is the argument we're making in 2020?
Umm, no one is making that argument, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence at all that Washington raped his slaves...which is what your sources say.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

When you post things as facts I would think you would have a source on it. If you'd like to attack me instead, that's your prerogative. It's a big statement you made.

If they didn't know it was bad then why didn't they become slaves? Surely one of these people would have tried it out.

There is no register of Trump working with the Russians to hack and steal the election either.

But there is?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Motherfuckers had just fought a war against a supriror power but when it came time to free slaves

f92ddd6dfcde0e851a3c6a7a67b415b9.jpg

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
This line of thinking always felt like the grandchild of the white man's burden arguement

Cause it is. Poor struggling white man. Wants to do right but gee, owning people as property is wrong? golly...just didn't know.... If only we were writing some document about freedom from oppression...

Umm, no one is making that argument, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence at all that Washington raped his slaves...which is what your sources say.

I get what you're saying but to me American slavery and rape go hand in hand. Not only overseers taking advantage (which was common), not only massa himself. But if you make two people who have no legal rights copulate just so you can have more bigger and stronger slaves that's rape. If you provide "incentives" to enslaved people to breed in a vacuum without any legal rights...that's profound sexual abuse/exploitation akin to rape.

The shit occur on a scale so vast I'll never buy the notion that slave owners were somehow morally neutral. Or the nonsensical narrative of the reluctant slave owner. A lot of foul shit was par for the course w/ chattel slavery. So of all the times I'd give the benefit of the doubt a slave owner won't be it. I hope every single slave owner including Washington is roasting in 100% hellfire.

Motherfuckers had just fought a war against a supriror power but when it came time to free slaves

I been saying it: Can put a man on the moon but can't figure out being racist is wrong...

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you post things as facts I would think you would have a source on it. If you'd like to attack me instead, that's your prerogative. It's a big statement you made.

But there is?
I'm not attacking you. Look at the institution of slavery and the rampant, systematic sexual violence that went hand in hand with it. You couldn't pay me to extend the benefit of the doubt to George Washington. A violent wealthy man that owned 200... rape really was not above his character. I'm sure there were slave brothels back then too.

I know evidence would be ideal but the crimes were centuries ago and rape is severely underreported to this day. There's no evidence for a lot of current sexual violence right now. I'm not giving any White slaveowner the benefit of the doubt screw that.

Shoot a slaveowner and a rapist bleeds. In my opinion, losing the right to rape Black people after doing so with impunity for 250 years is also part of the reason White society was very bitter about losing the institution of slavery.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I wish more stories and movies would be made about Washington's slaves that escaped (which he tried to bring back into servitude). Sure, he wasn't Tommy J or some of the other worst slavers, but he was still a slaver when he knew damn well it was evil.

Definitely is. Slavery and colonialism go hand in hand after all.