• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
VA8ZCQP.jpg
Narrator:" He didn't even get a ' Bless your heart'"

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
In Pete's defense, this was years before Hamilton The Musical was released.

Pete doesn't care.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Admit ignorance, learn and move on. How he didnt seem to know is not suprising. Most Americans probably think the Founders wanted all people vote when in fact they only allowed wealthy land holding white men.
He knew this. He's a history major with years of education. This is taught in grade school/is apparent to anyone with a slight interest in the development of the constitution or the writing of our founding documents.

Pete just lies and whitewashes any issue without care.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Pete.

Just stop talking about black issues.

Pete, what are you doing?

Pete, do not go on The Root.

PETE!!!!!!

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Hey Pete,

Black guy here. Seems you need more black friends or at least more black staff members. For a small...well lets be honest, it's going to be a large fee.. Ill quit my job and help you from making these gaffes that anyone could see a mile away. I dunno, maybe there's a high quotient of cringe voters out there that you're pandering too...but really guy, you're fucking up in a way where I feel its an Andy Kaufman performance piece.

My plan is going to be simple, we are going to go out and you're going to hang out with black people. Not for votes, not for photoshoots, just like...talk. HANG. Maybe watch some sports, enjoy a family dinner, maybe a fun game of spades. Because this weird 'I am trying my best not to come off as racist but instead I come off completely clueless and racist' shit isn't working man. I am used to seeing ivy league upper class white people succeed and if your fumbling the ball on basics like 'slavery is bad', we are all doomed cause y'all run the world.

Call me

love Krazen

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
He can fuck off with that. Those white men didn't want to pay those high ass taxes to the crown let alone be a slave to someone else so theres NO fucking way they didn't know slavery was bad.

May 26, 2018
Yeah, Pete has finally made it to my shitlist. Originally, I thought of him as an intelligent, but not exciting candidate. Now I think of him as mostly stupid, corrupt, and not at all a good representation of the generations he claims to speak for.

Yeah, this has kinda flipped a switch for me regarding the man. He seems unsuited for healthy, informed command of our nation.

This is five years old, and he is more than open for reexplaining his views, but the man has been tipping a while for me.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This man has no black support, no interest in getting black support, yet I'm told constantly he's a Serious Threat™ in the primaries.

tenor.gif

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I went down a bit of a rabbit hole. Jefferson still had slaves up to the day he died in 1826. (Which he then freed upon his will.) Crazy.

No he didn't. He freed 5 of them. And then had one their families split up and sold.

He sold nearly all his slaves before he died because he was in huge debt due his lifestyle and constant construction of his home.

Washington was the one who freed his slaves after he died, or rather after his wife died. He also made provisions to have the informed and elderly among them to be cared for by the estate.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
No, they knew, they just punted on it so they could get the southern states to agree to the Constitution.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's just factually wrong.

For a smart guy Mayor Pete says a lot of dumb things.
I think if there is ever a documentary on his campaign, we will find out dude started getting high off his own supply. He was approached by people that saw he was getting buzzed and got him hyped up and Pete started feeling himself

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
No he didn't. He freed 5 of them. And then had one their families split up and sold.

He sold nearly all his slaves before he died because he was in huge debt due his lifestyle and constant construction of his home.

Washington was the one who freed his slaves after he died, or rather after his wife died. He also made provisions to have the informed and elderly among them to be cared for by the estate.

Aye. And for anyone interested, here's a Smithsonian article about Jefferson, Washington, and their differences on slavery throughout the years (and each's evolution and devolution):

The critical turning point in Jefferson's thinking may well have come in 1792. As Jefferson was counting up the agricultural profits and losses of his plantation in a letter to President Washington that year, it occurred to him that there was a phenomenon he had perceived at Monticello but never actually measured. He proceeded to calculate it in a barely legible, scribbled note in the middle of a page, enclosed in brackets. What Jefferson set out clearly for the first time was that he was making a 4 percent profit every year on the birth of black children. The enslaved were yielding him a bonanza, a perpetual human dividend at compound interest. Jefferson wrote, "I allow nothing for losses by death, but, on the contrary, shall presently take credit four per cent. per annum, for their increase over and above keeping up their own numbers." His plantation was producing inexhaustible human assets. The percentage was predictable.

In another communication from the early 1790s, Jefferson takes the 4 percent formula further and quite bluntly advances the notion that slavery presented an investment strategy for the future. He writes that an acquaintance who had suffered financial reverses "should have been invested in negroes." He advises that if the friend's family had any cash left, "every farthing of it [should be] laid out in land and negroes, which besides a present support bring a silent profit of from 5. to 10. per cent in this country by the increase in their value."

The irony is that Jefferson sent his 4 percent formula to George Washington, who freed his slaves, precisely because slavery had made human beings into money, like "Cattle in the market," and this disgusted him. Yet Jefferson was right, prescient, about the investment value of slaves. A startling statistic emerged in the 1970s, when economists taking a hardheaded look at slavery found that on the eve of the Civil War, enslaved black people, in the aggregate, formed the second most valuable capital asset in the United States. David Brion Davis sums up their findings: "In 1860, the value of Southern slaves was about three times the amount invested in manufacturing or railroads nationwide." The only asset more valuable than the black people was the land itself. The formula Jefferson had stumbled upon became the engine not only of Monticello but of the entire slaveholding South and the Northern industries, shippers, banks, insurers and investors who weighed risk against returns and bet on slavery. The words Jefferson used—"their increase"—became magic words.

Jefferson's 4 percent theorem threatens the comforting notion that he had no real awareness of what he was doing, that he was "stuck" with or "trapped" in slavery, an obsolete, unprofitable, burdensome legacy. The date of Jefferson's calculation aligns with the waning of his emancipationist fervor. Jefferson began to back away from antislavery just around the time he computed the silent profit of the "peculiar institution."

And this world was crueler than we have been led to believe. A letter has recently come to light describing how Monticello's young black boys, "the small ones," age 10, 11 or 12, were whipped to get them to work in Jefferson's nail factory, whose profits paid the mansion's grocery bills. This passage about children being lashed had been suppressed—deliberately deleted from the published record in the 1953 edition of Jefferson's Farm Book, containing 500 pages of plantation papers. That edition of the Farm Book still serves as a standard reference for research into the way Monticello worked.

In the 1790s, as Jefferson was mortgaging his slaves to build Monticello, George Washington was trying to scrape together financing for an emancipation at Mount Vernon, which he finally ordered in his will. He proved that emancipation was not only possible, but practical, and he overturned all the Jeffersonian rationalizations. Jefferson insisted that a multiracial society with free black people was impossible, but Washington did not think so. Never did Washington suggest that blacks were inferior or that they should be exiled.

It is curious that we accept Jefferson as the moral standard of the founders' era, not Washington. Perhaps it is because the Father of his Country left a somewhat troubling legacy: His emancipation of his slaves stands as not a tribute but a rebuke to his era, and to the prevaricators and profiteers of the future, and declares that if you claim to have principles, you must live by them.

After Jefferson's death in 1826, the families of Jefferson's most devoted servants were split apart. Onto the auction block went Caroline Hughes, the 9-year-old daughter of Jefferson's gardener Wormley Hughes. One family was divided up among eight different buyers, another family among seven buyers.

Yeah, Tommy here was not ignorant about what slavery was. Dude just wanted to make quick coin and to rape to his heart's content. Even George Washington, fellow slaver, saw him as a little bit extreme at that time. And I'd like to think that 1770s Thomas Jefferson would look at 1800 Thomas Jefferson as a bit of a monster.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
A group of people who started a rebellion for freedom from the Crown somehow, someway didn't understand that denying people freedom was... bad?

Okay my guy.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I think if there is ever a documentary on his campaign, we will find out dude started getting high off his own supply. He was approached by people that saw he was getting buzzed and got him hyped up and Pete started feeling himself
100%.
Aye. And for anyone interested, here's a Smithsonian article about Jefferson, Washington, and their differences on slavery throughout the years (and each's evolution and devolution):

Yeah, Tommy here was not ignorant about what slavery was. Dude just wanted to make quick coin and to rape to his heart's content. Even George Washington, fellow slaver, saw him as a little bit extreme at that time. And I'd like to think that 1770s Thomas Jefferson would look at 1800 Thomas Jefferson as a bit of a monster.
George Washington is genuinely one of the most incredible figures in world history. He had a ton of faults, but no one else could have done what he did, with the integrity he did it with.

Only slightly related, but I'm a Washington fanboy.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Geez, even Washington knew it was wrong, Lafeyette had a whole thing with him trying to free his slaves without bankrupting himself.

Also, the founders were famous for deep debates. You think the "con" side of the 3/5ths comprompise people didn't get their point across? I'm sure as hell they did.
Washington had slaves.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
You had anti-slavery movements in the middle ages. There was never a point where there weren't at least some people going "hey, this is kind of fucked up", but there have also always been people finding justifications for it.

Even Robert E. Lee wrote a letter to his wife where he casually drops that slavery is obviously wrong, it's just that he goes into a huge rant about how actually it's good for black people and how white people are hurt by it more.

Oct 27, 2017
Pete is the blank slate candidate of choice for the Democrat donor class. He has no integrity and can be molded to their desires. Except, he's clueless on race issues if not straight up dismissive. Dude sucks. Not even remotely ready to be a representative let alone president.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Washington had slaves.
He did, he inherited them, and he evolved his opinions on it over time, freed the slaves he owned, provided for their welfare, and spoke about the essential moral bankruptcy of the institution.

The ability to admit you were wrong and then work to improve the situation as best you can is a sign of strong character.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, remember when Pete said he could empathize with black people and blablack people were collectively told not to find fault with the sentiment?

I do. =D

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
This man has no black support, no interest in getting black support, yet I'm told constantly he's a Serious Threat™ in the primaries.

tenor.gif

We gotta live with this cause Iowa wants to be first even though it should mean nothing.

Also I think the primary system is bad at picking candidates and it's wrong that political parties have hijacked official election infrastructure for them. It's weird that nobody even questions why we have the primary system in the first place. I feel like the parties have convinced the American public (with the media as willing participants) that they are just a law of political nature when they don't have to exist.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
He did, he inherited them, and he evolved his opinions on it over time, freed the slaves he owned, provided for their welfare, and spoke about the essential moral bankruptcy of the institution.

The ability to admit you were wrong and then work to improve the situation as best you can is a sign of strong character.

And we can thank Lafayette for it, mostly. He debated Washington into coming around on it.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

He could have done more, could have recognized the error of his entire being, sold off his portions of the estate, and use the funds to free all his slaves and those of his wife's family. He did try to sell some land, but failed to get buyers, and failed to convince his wife's heirs to free their slaves. But he did more than the rest of the founding fathers so.

Lafayette is also an incredible historical figure.

100%

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

He could have done more, could have recognized the error of his entire being, sold off his portions of the estate, and use the funds to free all his slaves and those of his wife's family. He did try to sell some land, but failed to get buyers, and failed to convince his wife's heirs to free their slaves. But he did more than the rest of the founding fathers so.

100%
Not sure what the bolded means, but he did die pretty suddenly. Who knows what else he would have done if that had not been the case.

He did a lot, and considering the environment he grew up and lived in, that deserves to be recognized.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

100%

This is where I am with it. He did too little. More than others, but too little.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
Not ignorance.

But that's fine. Pete has shown he's a racist multiple times, and people continue to give him the benefit of the doubt, so whatever. Won't matter to the trash that supports him.

May 29, 2019
That is a really bad way of saying the constitution was written by many people who did not value the lives of black people

"over their ability to profit from said blacks," is the nuance I would add to this already correct statement. I add that because Americans act as if the profits VS humanity is a delicate argument nowadays, but it's as old as the country.

Buttigieg's willingness and ability to put on blinders for the wealthy and lean-racist majority makes him a candidate I don't want in the general. I don't think he has the average American's interests in mind, and I don't think he would listen to those that do. Down there with Tulsi and Bloomberg.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Not sure what the bolded means, but he did die pretty suddenly. Who knows what else he would have done if that had not been the case.

He did a lot, and considering the environment he grew up and lived in, that deserves to be recognized.

He made his new will freeing his slaves in the Summer of 1799, and died in December, falling seriously ill and dead within a day. Good point.

Out of the Southern Founding Fathers, he freed the most significant and substantial portion of his slaves vs his counterparts, (Northerners also freed their slaves but arguably, the economic impact on them was probably much less than on Washington). A quick look at Wikipedia shows Robert Carter freed the most slaves in this time period, but faced resistance from the law, and his heirs but it was successful through it took a long time.

Its also notable to note that freeing slaves occurred due to rising costs for upkeep, so probably some portions of those freeing slaves were motivated with no longer having to take care of them. In that sense, Robert Carter and Washington's wills did attempt to ensure the freedmen would get assistance from the estate beyond what was mandated by law.

Through both could have just sold off their estates to fund the freeing of slaves. I wonder how much resistance their heirs would have offered, and if they could overturn those decisions, had they occur?

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Really going for that minority outreach there huh, Pete? Maybe he'll even start to question if the Civil War really was about "states rights" too.