• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
Pete sucks but I can see what he is trying to say here. He didn't say they were comparable struggles just that he relates because he has also been a victim of oppression.

The problem with trying to have a nuanced take on anything sensitive is that people don't fucking read articles or listen to speeches anymore. They read headlines are react accordingly. Framing is a serious problem with the internet and especially on partisan maters like this, all it takes is the exclusion of one word to completely change all the context in someones words.

Yes - the headlines are doing the damage by furthering a clear narrative on this site. It's obvious from the full statement that he is not drawing a false equivalence but that won't matter to people that don't read it.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've met more racist gay White Liberals than I care to know. No, just because someone is in a minority group doesn't mean they automatically relate to another minority group. The world would be a lot different if this were true.

Pete had years to fight for Black people, 27% of South Bend's population. If you cant help several thousand Black folk as mayor what are you going to do for the millions after the votes are tallied?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
it's not oppression olympics. Gay people and black people face different unfair societal challenges. for my part he didn't seem to be drawing an equivalence, just noting that he's sensitive to systemic bigotry.
There's lots to criticize Mayor Pete for but this seems like a fishing expedition

like that thread title
Everything I've seen on this forum with him feels like the "bitch eating crackers" line of argumentation. It's the whole "he's just a boring white guy" dismissal in lieu of actual rationales.

His actual record or lack of it in dealing with racial politics in his town seems like a totally reasonable reason to oppose him. So I'm not sure why people find it necessary to be willfully thick about quotes like these.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
Racist pretending that he's suddenly empathetic to black issues, while continually having issues with black people DURING THIS CAMPAIGN, but given the pass on this bullshit statement because he's gay.

Never change, you guys.

I also appreciate that the thread has become a minefield for black posters. Good shit.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
Everything I've seen on this forum with him feels like the "bitch eating crackers" line of argumentation. It's the whole "he's just a boring white guy" dismissal in lieu of actual rationales.

His actual record or lack of it in dealing with racial politics in his town seems like a totally reasonable reason to oppose him. So I'm not sure why people find it necessary to be willfully thick about quotes like these.

When your dude worked for McKenzie and their time in the military was dedicated to:
"war zone economic development to help grow private sector employment"

You tend to just kind of fucking hate them. I think that is a perfectly rational emotional response.

And that is ignoring all of his past racial transgressions, which takes some real effort.

I do hate this particular "bitch" and maybe his crackers too. I must be compromised.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
When your dude worked for McKenzie and their time in the military was dedicated to:
"war zone economic development to help grow private sector employment"

You tend to just kind of fucking hate them. I think that is a perfectly rational emotional response.

And that is ignoring all of his past racial transgressions, which takes some real effort.

I do hate this particular "bitch" and maybe his crackers too. I must be compromised.
Uhm what's bad about working for McKinsey* ? The firm has multiple branches dedicated to social equality issues and regularly lowers rates to be at cost for social sector projects. They also have huge diversity and inclusion initiatives. Would you rather he work for Walmart?

This article was so obviously written for attention, the statement is so benign and a non controversy. However, the topic brings to light a lot the lefts animosity towards "straight acting" LGBT people. Really discouraging to read, coming from someone who struggled to come out in the Midwest and was "straight acting".

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
Uhm what's bad about working for McKinsey* ? The firm has multiple branches dedicated to social equality issues and regularly lowers rates to be at cost for social sector projects. They also have huge diversity and inclusion initiatives. Would you rather he work for Walmart?

This article was so obviously written for attention, the statement is so benign and a non controversy. However, the topic brings to light a lot the lefts animosity towards "straight acting" LGBT people. Really discouraging to read, coming from someone who struggled to come out in the Midwest and was "straight acting".

Would you like to address the profiteering off of war zones or nah

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Racist pretending that he's suddenly empathetic to black issues, while continually having issues with black people DURING THIS CAMPAIGN, but given the pass on this bullshit statement because he's gay.

Never change, you guys.

I also appreciate that the thread has become a minefield for black posters. Good shit.

THIS. The equivalency he is drawing is very strange to me as a POC but that is not what my problem is. My problem is that while he might think he "relates" to the struggles of black people he has internalized none of such a relation that a truly empathetic person would. What's more is he seems to have actively chosen not to elevate and prioritize black people under his governance to put a fine point on it. The people saying this statement is benign aren't looking at Buttigieg's words and actions as a whole. His weird ass take on life is becoming kind of a cancer imo. Dude needs to go. He shouldn't be mayor either.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
No one has a monopoly on the feelings of opression and discrimination
Who made that assertion?

The LGBTQ condition and the black condition are not, nor will they ever be, the same. Full stop. To hear yet another privileged white politician attempt to say "I understand" or "I empathize" without talking about DIRECT action to remedy black folk's issues (for descendants of chattel slavery in the U.S., that'd be reparations) is a slap in the face. But we get it, these guys have to skirt a line and not piss off those precious white moderates (re: diet racists), so talking about, or actually planning to do something for black people in the U.S. is a big no-no.
Sharpton is right, people are misunderstanding what he said.
Al Sharpton is a tap dancing sambo doing all he can to stay relevant/keep his spot on MSNBC.

Last edited:

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I respect your commitment to facts and reason.
You're coming off as the same type of person who relies solely on Fox News headlines. All of your comments are off the cuff "probablys" and "sounds like" In the guise of being woke. Next time you try and prove a point try and cite something other than the last thing you skimmed off of WaPo, might do you well.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a Black man who grew up poor, excluded from mainstream society, systematically oppressed, and struggling in the ghettoes of LA, I can better relate to the struggles of women.

Love, Orenthal James Simpson

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
You're coming off as the same type of person who relies solely on Fox News headlines. All of your comments are off the cuff "probablys" and "sounds like" In the guise of being woke. Next time you try and prove a point try and cite something other than the last thing you skimmed off of WaPo, might do you well.

Hell of a takeaway, take care friend.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
there are 6 pages on this and not on him basically using far right wing talking points on universal programs in his ads...

the guy clearly has issues on race based on his activity in south bend, as well as on the poor, but this non statement is a distraction from the fact that he is actually garbage on the substance.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've met more racist gay White Liberals than I care to know. No, just because someone is in a minority group doesn't mean they automatically relate to another minority group. The world would be a lot different if this were true.
Pete is pretty terrible, especially on race. Him aside, no one is saying it's an automatic for one minority group to empathize with another, are they?

I'm going to repeat this for this page because a lot of people seem to be missing it.

Coretta Scott King, the widow of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. talked about the similarities between homophobia and racism (and anti-Semitism):

"Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood.

I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice. But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King Jr. said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.' I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brother- and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people.

For many years now, I have been an outspoken supporter of civil and human rights for gay and lesbian people...Gays and lesbians stood up for civil rights in Montgomery, Selma, in Albany, Ga. and St. Augustine, Fla., and many other campaigns of the Civil Rights Movement. Many of these courageous men and women were fighting for my freedom at a time when they could find few voices for their own, and I salute their contributions.

Freedom from discrimination based on sexual orientation is surely a fundamental human right in any great democracy, as much as freedom from racial, religious, gender, or ethnic discrimination."

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Pete had years to fight for Black people, 27% of South Bend's population. If you cant help several thousand Black folk as mayor what are you going to do for the millions after the votes are tallied?

Every group of marginalized people suffers oppression.

People who suffer oppression understand what it feels like to be hated for their inherent immutable traits and lived experiences.

Any member of a marginalized oppressed group can relate to any other member of any other marginalized oppressed group, because while the types of oppression take different forms, all oppression has strikingly similar effects. Being scared to be yourself and thus denying who you are and what value you hold as a human being, hated when you show yourself to the world, beaten/tortured/murdered, ostracized - these are outcomes that oppressed people from every marginalized group understand.

The form oppression takes varies wildly, but the basic connection of being hated for just existing is obviously there.

We need more intersectionality and less fighting about who suffers more, when so many people from so many places suffer just as much. It doesn't invalidate anyone's right to dignity and equality to point out that we can empathize with each other while respecting how (but not to what nebulous unquantifiable amount) we suffer.

Wiifitkid

Mar 12, 2018
I dont see how this is offensive at all

There are similarities and there are differences. Being part of a minority can also help breed empathy towards other minorities.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017

There are similarities and there are differences. Being part of a minority can also help breed empathy towards other minorities.
Because that empathy doesnt extend past platitudes. His poor track record with race relations show how empty his words are.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dont see a problem with what he said. No minority experience is 1:1 but there are some things we can all relate to. Even while gay white dudes have certainly been racists.

This cycle has seen some lazy ass attacks on the perceived front runner of the week. There's enough material to criticize Pete's record on race without trying to make something out of nothing.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But if you say that and still failed black folks then you clearly didn't apply what you've experienced to other minority groups. SOme of you are acting like he's saying this in a vacuum

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just caught some of Pete's anti-free college quotes lol.
Pete is pretty terrible, especially on race. Him aside, no one is saying it's an automatic for one minority group to empathize with another, are they?

I'm going to repeat this for this page because a lot of people seem to be missing it.

Coretta Scott King, the widow of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. talked about the similarities between homophobia and racism (and anti-Semitism):

"Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood.

I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice. But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King Jr. said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.' I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brother- and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people.

For many years now, I have been an outspoken supporter of civil and human rights for gay and lesbian people...Gays and lesbians stood up for civil rights in Montgomery, Selma, in Albany, Ga. and St. Augustine, Fla., and many other campaigns of the Civil Rights Movement. Many of these courageous men and women were fighting for my freedom at a time when they could find few voices for their own, and I salute their contributions.

Freedom from discrimination based on sexual orientation is surely a fundamental human right in any great democracy, as much as freedom from racial, religious, gender, or ethnic discrimination."
Every group of marginalized people suffers oppression.

People who suffer oppression understand what it feels like to be hated for their inherent immutable traits and lived experiences.

Any member of a marginalized oppressed group can relate to any other member of any other marginalized oppressed group, because while the types of oppression take different forms, all oppression has strikingly similar effects. Being scared to be yourself and thus denying who you are and what value you hold as a human being, hated when you show yourself to the world, beaten/tortured/murdered, ostracized - these are outcomes that oppressed people from every marginalized group understand.

The form oppression takes varies wildly, but the basic connection of being hated for just existing is obviously there.

We need more intersectionality and less fighting about who suffers more, when so many people from so many places suffer just as much. It doesn't invalidate anyone's right to dignity and equality to point out that we can empathize with each other while respecting how (but not to what nebulous unquantifiable amount) we suffer.
I hear ya'll.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can hide being gay, you can't hide being black. Thats why some people feel a way about it. and I understand it. There are cross-sections and commentary like this should be coming from a totally intersectional approach rather than an approach based on comparing struggles.

Hiding who you are can have terrible consequences on your mental state. Especially if you feel the need to do so around family. LGBTQ depression and suicide (and murder) rates are staggering.

I'd also hate to imagine how awful things would be for gays if it were that easy to identify on sight.

Being able to "hide" is in many situations literally a matter of life and death. And it takes its toll.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): dismissing concerns surrounding racism
Maybe because you can pair the empty platitudes of this statement with the reality of the awfulness of his record and past comments and realize he is just bullshitting.

If you dislike this statement for things outside this statement, that's Bitch Eating Crackers Syndrome

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
If you dislike this statement for things outside this statement, that's Bitch Eating Crackers Syndrome

So is having a bad record on race relations has nothing to do with him claiming he has empathy with black people as a gay person?

or does it mean he had those feelings and did the bad things anyway? which would be arguably worse?

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017

Taking context into account when parsing someone comments is the normal, expected course of action.

His statement about being empathetic means nothing when he has proven himself not to be empathetic. Don't be dense.

I also want to add that I find it very upsetting that black people who have been let down by this man have to explain themselves in this thread. It really sucks that the person who this thread is about has upset people and the thread has instead been turned into black people getting grilled about it and told they are wrong for feeling how they feel.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Taking context into account when parsing someone comments is the normal, expected course of action.

His statement about being empathetic means nothing when he has proven himself not to be empathetic. Don't be dense.

I also want to add that I find it very upsetting that black people who have been let down by this man have to explain themselves in this thread. It really sucks that the person who this thread is about has upset people and the thread has instead been turned into black people getting grilled about it and told they are wrong for feeling how they feel.
Yeah it's pretty fucking shitty

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Exactly my sentiment as well, also I got attacked/grilled over the thread title that if people actually took the time to read the article in OP, I titled this thread using what was reported in that article I linked to in the OP. Specifically, this section is what I used to title this thread:

Mayor Pete Buttigieg has delivered a provocative response in recent days to those who challenge his empathy with black Americans: His experience as a gay man helps him relate to the struggles of African Americans.

That has angered some African Americans, who view it as an attempt by a privileged white man to claim a type of victimhood that is distinct from the black experience in America, even while others take the comments more favorably.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Exactly my sentiment as well, also I got attacked/grilled over the thread title that if people actually took the time to read the article in OP, I titled this thread using what was reported in that article I linked to in the OP. Specifically, this section is what I used to title this thread:
Your OP was mildly homophobic in that the tone of it was joking and mocking a persons sexuality. You should feel bad for it even if the person in question is an asshole.
All the facts one can get from Buttigiegs past aside, it's also telling on how people view LGBT-rights in their response to all of this.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Being dismissive of LGBT oppression

Nah, at the end of the day, being a gay white guy, you'll still have it much easier than a straight black guy. Because by default, unless you're extremely flamboyant and obvious, you'll get more benefits. So he can fake it, or pass (which I'm sure he's done earlier in his life).

But as a black man, that's all I can pass for. If that makes any sense. I'm not saying being gay isn't hard, but being a gay white guy isn't equivalent to being a racial minority.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Nah, at the end of the day, being a gay white guy, you'll still have it much easier than a straight black guy. Because by default, unless you're extremely flamboyant and obvious, you'll get more benefits. So he can fake it, or pass (which I'm sure he's done earlier in his life).

But as a black man, that's all I can pass for. If that makes any sense. I'm not saying being gay isn't hard, but being a gay white guy isn't equivalent to being a racial minority.

I agree there are variables, except your stance overlooks how many similarities both communities have with each other when it comes to discrimination. Being a white gay guy can get you killed in the wrong area, for instance.

This isn't only about whether the extreme of the discrimination are identical, either, since not every group has the same experience or protections from others. LGBT are still targeted by bigots and face discrimination, that's why the closet has been in effect for generations. LGBT do that for survival, not because they want to hide who they are.

Pete himself, however, I can understand doubting him due to his history with the Black community.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland

Nobody's saying they're equivalent though. Not Buttigieg nor the person you quoted.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your OP was mildly homophobic in that the tone of it was joking and mocking a persons sexuality. You should feel bad for it even if the person in question is an asshole.
All the facts one can get from Buttigiegs past aside, it's also telling on how people view LGBT-rights in their response to all of this.
Pete ain't the one. If a Black LGBT person said this the reactions would be different.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used what I read in the linked WaPo article to create this thread, it was not my intention to be homophobic, joking or mocking a person's orientation.