• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Yes, if you're a closeted gay man then you'll be harder to pick out from a crowd than a black man. That's a literal fact and I can't deny it.

However that will never remove the highly-real and highly-personal oppression that all gay men regardless of colour and 'closet status' face. It is not something that gay people can just escape from and you have no right to ever say otherwise because you have not had those experiences.

But lets put it clear. You're not just arguing that the oppression different groups face is 'different', you're defending someone who literally said that the closet is a place for "gays to advance their resumes and careers." You're actively defending someone's right to downplay gay oppression, and considering there are plenty of actually-good arguments to use against Buttigeig it's misguided at the very best.

I'm not going to quote the rest because if you seriously think that the white queer community is "accepted," then I can't take your argument seriously.

No, the white queer community is not 'accepted' and you have no right to dictate to them how 'accepted' they should feel.

AS is the operative term, its a long struggle but so far white LGBTQ have done a shitty job of intersectionality by and large. I leave this Billy Porter quote here:

I think there's a little bit of that — no, let me just say it — there's a lot of that in the gay culture, especially the cisgender, white, rich gay culture. I sat on the board of the Empire State Pride Agenda for six years, and that's an organization that really was influential in lobbying and fighting for gay rights, during the AIDS crisis all the way up through marriage equality. When these white, cisgender, rich boys got marriage equality and the organization's focus turned to transgender rights, those motherfuckers closed their checkbooks, and the organization of 25 years had to close. We need take all that energy and focus, and shift it on to those who are less than us. That's how it works. Internal vigilance is the price of liberty.

It is almost a respectability thing. In order for white, cisgender guys to get married, they distance themselves from the rest of the queer community.

It's no tea, no shade. We learn. When we know better, we do better. Now y'all know better, let's see what happens.

Oct 28, 2017
A black person can't be in the closet about being black, there is a reason he's close to 0% with black voters
Okay? So what? Forget about him specifically because your statement was about white oriole in general. A white gay man can experience a lot of prejudice. Hell, he can be legally discriminated against in many places in the country or world. Even killed. And you're just gonna stand there and be like "No gay white man can experience that and have that experience make them more empathetic to the issues black people deal with. He's white, so that means black issues will forever be intractable to him."

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A black person can't be in the closet about being black, there is a reason he's close to 0% with black voters
That's true but also a vast oversimplification of what closeting is and how harmful being closeted is to people. He's doing poorly with black voters because he has a poor record on racial issues in his city.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Gay people's problems don't suddenly vanish once they've gone into the closet. If they did then you'd think that the vast majority of LGBT+ people today and throughout human history would simply stay in the closet and "advance their resumes and careers"?

You know what, you are correct. I am minimizing others experiences with the point I tried making and I'm sorry for that. Thanks for responding with class and in a way to let me see that.

It was not my intention to be homophobic, I'm genuinely sorry. It's clear my opinion was not as well thought out and again, im sorry for that. Your not wrong for calling me such.

Thank you for apologising.

And really this shows the fundamental problem with trying to 'compare' oppression directly to one another. Yes, oppression is often on different levels objectively but that doesn't mean that the oppression isn't real to those who face it, and so when you make any comparisons no matter how meaningful you're going to end up downplaying another person's suffering.

That's why I can't take this specific criticism of Buttigieg's comments seriously, because it's one that will always end up doing the thing it suggests is the problem whilst Buttigieg himself never actually did such a thing himself. There's plenty of things to criticise about both him and the comment, but "gay people's oppression is different to ours so you can't show empathy," will never work.

Sep 14, 2018

The closet is not a day spa for LGBT people, it's not an advantage it's a survival mechanism and when it doesn't work violence usually follows.

"Lgbt people can just hide in the closet, lucky them" is about the most offensive thing I've read on this site.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
This is a terrible post that shows complete ignorance. Shame on you.

You are correct, and if it upset you as well then im sorry.

Yes, if you're a closeted gay man then you'll be harder to pick out from a crowd than a black man. That's a literal fact and I can't deny it.

However that will never remove the highly-real and highly-personal oppression that all gay men regardless of colour and 'closet status' face. It is not something that gay people can just escape from and you have no right to ever say otherwise because you have not had those experiences.

But lets put it clear. You're not just arguing that the oppression different groups face is 'different', you're defending someone who literally said that the closet is a place for "gays to advance their resumes and careers." You're actively defending someone's right to downplay gay oppression, and considering there are plenty of actually-good arguments to use against Buttigeig it's misguided at the very best.

I'm not going to quote the rest because if you seriously think that the white queer community is "accepted," then I can't take your argument seriously.

No, the white queer community is not 'accepted' and you have no right to dictate to them how 'accepted' they should feel.

No, you are right and I was speaking from a position of misguided ignorance. I don't have any right to take away your experiences by trying to explain your own struggles to you, and in doing so I became the very thing I try not to ever be: a bigot. I apologize, and thank you for taking the time out to explain to me when you could have just kept it pushing.

now that you've apologized, i feel bad for being so angry with my own tone

i'm sorry for my own rudeness

perhaps the feelings i felt and the way i responded with indignation are the reason people get into these fights online that i complain so much about - i certainly handled our misunderstanding the wrong way

Don't apologize, you had every right to be rude. I was being homophobic and you shouldn't have to watch your tone when dealing with someone being like that.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
That's true but also a vast oversimplification of what closeting is and how harmful being closeted is to people. He's doing poorly with black voters because he has a poor record on racial issues in his city.

Yup. Being queer isn't a magical cape you can take off and on, and suicide rates, mental illness and bigotry based off just being SUSPECTED of being queer lay that to rest.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Being Dismissive of LGBT Oppression; Numerous Prior Bans for Inflammatory Behavior Including Severe Bans for Excusing Sexual Misconduct
Closeting is a form of oppression. It's a completely different form of oppression than what black people face, but it's still oppression. The ability to 'closet' yourself should not be considered a positive or benefit or advantage in any context really. It is empirically proven to be incredibly unhealthy and debilitating to one's mental and physical health, much like facing racism has debilitating effects on health for victims of racism. Yes, white gay men enjoy white male priviledge, but they also endure anti-LGBT discrimination. The same way cishet black men endure racist oppression but enjoy cishet male priviledge (particularly in their own community).

Sure would be a benefit if I could closet my skin color when dealing with the police, shopping, or hell any time I want to do ANYTHING and not have my blackness shoved down my throat.

The comparison between the plight of the LGBT community and African Americans is NEVER going to go over well, I wish people would just stop. We each have our own struggles, just leave it at that.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Sure would be a benefit if I could closet my skin color when dealing with the police, shopping, or hell any time I want to do ANYTHING and not have my blackness shoved down my throat.

The comparison between the plight of the LGBT community and African Americans is NEVER going to go over well, I wish people would just stop. We each have our own struggles, just leave it at that.

Then stop comparing them, because by saying that closeting is just a way to escape oppression you're actively denying the oppression that all LGBT+ face no matter whether they're closeted or not.

Presenting 'the closet' as a superpower that LGBT+ people can use to escape oppression will never end well, so just don't do it.

Shinjica

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The world is not only USA

Oct 28, 2017

"We each have our own struggles and we can never learn to empathize for other struggles through the struggles we face for ourselves. The world is truly better if we act like others' struggles are always 100% intractable for us."

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
"gay people can be in the closet to advance their careers whilst black people can't"
yes, being closeted is very fun. Holy shit some of the posts here. Crazy that people still don't get that being closeted is a form of oppresion. The amount of homophobia in thsi thread, whew.

I really do hope no lgbtq+ closeted person reads this thread, to be honest.

When it comes to the topic.

I don't know this man, and I don't know what he's done. The phrase, JUST as such: yes, since I am gay, I symphasize with the struggles of other minorities. However, that's, most of the times and unfortunately, a one off. The LBGTQ+ community has to do way better with intersectionanility of both ethnicities and of each separated community. We simply can, should and need to do better when it comes to that. I do wish there was also more talk about the latino and asian queer communities, but alas, the topic is about that specific phrase.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York

We, African Americans, don't have to worry about being ostracized or killed by our own family either.

The struggles are obviously different but that doesn't mean there aren't points of similarity as well though. People focus too much on the differences and not what can be used to bring us together.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
No one is saying THE LGBT community's struggle is not real. Fuck yes it's real and it's pretty fucked up to be denied rights because of who you are not by choice but by birth. What I will say though is it isn't fair to compare your experience with mine as a black man.

Racial bias is literally built into society. The reality is if I walk down the street and a white guy is walking down the street I will be the one looked at in fear, with some trepidation, and probably have the cops called on me.

Everyone has this bias against skin color, it's ingrained in the deepest parts of society, in ALL aspects of society from the justice systems to politics to even employment and it's even built into how cities are designed.

So no,it's not comparable and I think it not only does a disservice to the black experience, but also the lgbtq experience because it distracts from your pain when you say things like it's comparable. It's your own pain and your own experience which should be respected, but it's not like mine.

And I fully respect and have fought /(sometimes literally) /will fight for your rights and for you to be respected as a person, but in the process don't disrespect and downplay my struggle and experience.

Oct 28, 2017
No one is saying THE LGBT community's struggle is not real. Fuck yes it's real and it's pretty fucked up to be denied rights because of who you are not by choice but by birth. What I will say though is it isn't fair to compare your experience with mine as a black man.

Racial bias is literally built into society. The reality is if I walk down the street and a white guy is walking down the street I will be the one looked at in fear, with some trepidation, and probably have the cops called on me.

Everyone has this bias against skin color, it's ingrained in the deepest parts of society, in ALL aspects of society from the justice systems to politics to even employment and it's even built into how cities are designed.

So no,it's not comparable and I think it not only does a disservice to the black experience, but also the lgbtq experience because it distracts from your pain when you say things like it's comparable. It's your own pain and your own experience which should be respected, but it's not like mine.

And I fully respect and have fought /(sometimes literally) /will fight for your rights and for you to be respected as a person, but in the process don't disrespect and downplay my struggle and experience.
You're giving a speech against a statement nobody made. The statement is something like "Being gay has made me more empathetic and understanding of the issues black people face." That's it.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
One of the many ERA threads where reading the responses shows you who actually read the article, and who just read the thread title.

Interframe

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The problem is NOT just "oh gay people can be in the closet so they don't understand black peoples struggles"

It's that as a white gay man, if you don't choose to express your sexual identity in a visual way, then to the rest of the world your just a white guy regardless of if your in the closet or not, and regardless of what your sexuality is in the first place. To the random people walking down the street by you, your just a white guy. To the people you go and interview with, your a white guy. When the police drive by, what do they see? A white guy.

There is NO option to not be seen as black when you walk outside because your blackness is attached to your visual identity and there is no separating it.

So there is a huge, huge fucking difference between something you literally cannot hide (skin color) and something that doesn't have to be attached to how you look as a person at all (sexual identity). And that's why someone might have a problem with a white gay man trying to say his experiences as a gay man can help him relate to what it's like being black. Cause no, it really doesn't.

While I get what you're saying, this argument has some potentials flaws.

1. There are more effeminate gay men who chose to express their gender identity in a way that will have people automatically assume they are gay and be treated a certain way for it (even though gender identity and expression are different from sexual orientation)

2. Things start to get messy when you factor in a same-sex couple who hold hands in public or show PDA in public, they now became a visible minority and target of hate crimes at that point. (Being queer myself, I have unfortunately experienced this personally)

All-in-all the intersectionality between race and sexuality is very complex and something really that only queer people of color can speak on. Because heterosexual people of color are in absolutely no way obligated to speak on the real life experiences of queer individuals, especially queer people of color who are in racial communities that have a lot of work to do on homophobia and transphobia.

Last edited:

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
My issue with what Pete said comes entirely from his history. In that context, what he's saying is bullshit.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
While I get what you're saying, this argument has some potentials flaws.

1. There are more effeminate gay men who chose to express their gender identity in a way that will have people automatically assume they are gay and be treated a certain way for it (even though gender identity and expression are different from sexual orientation)

2. Things start to get messy when you factor in a gay couple who hold hands in public or show PDA in public, they now became a visible minority and target of hate crimes at that point. (Being queer myself, I have experienced this personally, unfortunately)

All-in-all the intersectionality between race and sexuality is very complex and something really that only queer people of color can speak on. Because heterosexual people of color are in absolutely no way obligated to speak on the real life experiences of queer individuals, especially queer people of color who are in racial communities that have a lot of work to do on homophobia and transphobia.

All valid points I had not really considered in my original post. I realize at this point that I was approaching the subject from my own limited perspective without thinking of others and as a result stepped over the line when trying to make said point.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
You can hide being gay but you can't stop being gay, and being in the closet does not 'remove' oppression in any way shape or form. In fact in many countries it's the primary form of gay oppression, with people being forced into the closet and, therefore, being unable to express love to their fellow people through fear of death.

Arguing that LGBT+ people can just 'hide' from their oppression in the closet whenever they want to is both factually untrue and morally misguided at best, and if you're trying to preach to others that they cannot compare struggles then it should automatically disqualify you from having any say on the matter.

Thank you.

This idea that being in the closet is somehow not itself a form of oppression is completely wrong.

Interframe

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
All valid points I had not really considered in my original post. I realize at this point that I was approaching the subject from my own limited perspective without thinking of others and as a result stepped over the line when trying to make said point.

No worries and I commend you for considering the perspective! The world would be a better place if more people were able to see and understand perspective like you.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): Inflammatory commentary in a sensitive thread
No one is trying to make an argument that being gay and in the closet is a fun jolly experience, and those who are twisting the argument to that are being disingenuous

at the end of the day NO GROUP has suffered worse than African Americans in this country, and they continue to suffer, and it's not even close, so stop trying to equate anything to being equal to it, just fucking stop. This is the last thing I say on this matter in this thread

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you.

This idea that being in the closet is somehow not itself a form of oppression is completely wrong.

It is, but the distinction is worth mentioning in this context. In the past, Buttigieg has talked about coming out like it was a non-event, like he did it out of a sense of obligation and was annoyed to have to do so. No doubt his life would have been different in a less heteronormative/homophobic world, but this was very much a form of oppression that was in interaction with his many, many privileges.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Being queer isn't a magical cape you can take off and on, and suicide rates, mental illness and bigotry based off just being SUSPECTED of being queer lay that to rest.
Yup, absolutely.

This comment is bordering on homophobia. Closeting is not something you can just 'take on and off' like a disguise, not to mention how debilitating being closeted is. That's not even getting into the many places in the world where being LGBT, or even the suspicion of being LGBT, can lead to your death at the hands of the state or others.

You said these forms of oppression shouldn't be compared, but in the first half of your post you directly compared them and said you wished you could closet yourself. No, you don't, and it wouldn't be a benefit.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We, African Americans, don't have to worry about being ostracized or killed by our own family either.

The struggles are obviously different but that doesn't mean there aren't points of similarity as well though. People focus too much on the differences and not what can be used to bring us together.
Eh, there are a lot of people who have to worry being about being ostracized or even killed by their family (both in the black community and outside of it) other than just LGBT+ people, namely domestic violence victims and child abuse victims. I get what you are saying but I figured I should point that out.

Plum

May 31, 2018
No one is trying to make an argument that being gay and in the closet is a fun jolly experience, and those who are twisting the argument to that are being disingenuous

at the end of the day NO GROUP has suffered worse than African Americans in this country, and they continue to suffer, and it's not even close, so stop trying to equate anything to being equal to it, just fucking stop. This is the last thing I say on this matter in this thread

Nobody's trying to equate black oppression to any other oppression.They're simply calling out homophobic rhetoric that implies LGBT+ people's oppression isn't "that bad" because they can "hide it."

So far the only people who have actually directly compared the two kinds of of oppression are not the people trying to downplay the struggles of black people.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Funny enough this thread is proving why this was a mistake of a statement.

Sep 14, 2018

I almost responded constructively to this, I wonder who this user is supposed to be talking to?

"A black person can't be in the closet about being black". You know, a lot of times lgbt people can't be in the closet either, anyway carry on being mad at lgbt people, no one cares, goodbye.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
And that's why someone might have a problem with a white gay man trying to say his experiences as a gay man can help him relate to what it's like being black. Cause no, it really doesn't.
I'd agree, if that's what he was saying.

He's saying being an oppressed minority makes him more empathetic to the plight of other minority groups.

He said explicitly that he understood the value of having allies that don't know your struggles and he wanted to be one.

Sep 14, 2018
I guess all the LGBT people who are hunted, attacked and murdered in every corner of the world just weren't that good at hiding in the all powerful closet.

Interframe

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

I assume the country your're talking about is America, right? (Because generally, all around the world and throughout most of human history, darker skinned people have suffered more). But regardless you are right in that it's not equal and doesn't maker sense to compare. There are still racist laws around the world but civil rights regarding skin color are generally in a better place now then they have ever been. That being said systemic racial issues still persist all around the world.

See, we can recognize all of this without putting out an aggressive opinion that's completely ignorant of worldviews and perspective. American is not the center of the universe or this planet, sorry. Other radicalized groups have faced genocide and slavery outside of America, and hell, slavery still exists in parts of the world today but without perspective and context, you'd have a hard time considering any other opinion other than the one you presented.

And let's not even talk about the scary reality of how many countries around the world today that have laws where LGBTQ people are put to death, put in jail or fined for simply even existing. I can't even begin to imagine living in a country where expressing the most basic human emotion and experience such as love and sex is completely forbidden and would result in your death. How could you even live a day of your life in a place like that without considering suicide? Again, you'd never truly understand this with such a limited worldview.

Perspective is powerful.

Last edited:

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Because people can't read or are willing to jump on anything that justifies their dislike for the candidate?
More like people are unsurprisingly going to be critical of this statement coming from him with his history.

Edit: oh boy, did this thread take a turn. Yeesh.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a Pete fan but there's nothing wrong with what he said here.

Coretta Scott King, the widow of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. spoke eloquently on this subject:

"Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood.

I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice. But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King Jr. said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.' I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brother- and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people.

For many years now, I have been an outspoken supporter of civil and human rights for gay and lesbian people...Gays and lesbians stood up for civil rights in Montgomery, Selma, in Albany, Ga. and St. Augustine, Fla., and many other campaigns of the Civil Rights Movement. Many of these courageous men and women were fighting for my freedom at a time when they could find few voices for their own, and I salute their contributions.

Freedom from discrimination based on sexual orientation is surely a fundamental human right in any great democracy, as much as freedom from racial, religious, gender, or ethnic discrimination.
"

Okay? So what? Forget about him specifically because your statement was about white oriole in general. A white gay man can experience a lot of prejudice. Hell, he can be legally discriminated against in many places in the country or world. Even killed. And you're just gonna stand there and be like "No gay white man can experience that and have that experience make them more empathetic to the issues black people deal with. He's white, so that means black issues will forever be intractable to him."
Yep. Queer people also face the unique form of oppression of being rejected by their own families, thrown out of their homes as kids, subjected to "reparative therapy, etc.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I understand what he's trying to say, but I definitely get the controversy and anger. The man's history on race as a mayor isn't great in itself, and that is my bigger annoyance with his comment than him being a member of a disadvantaged and discriminated community.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I understand what he's trying to say, but I definitely get the controversy and anger. The man's history on race as a mayor isn't great in itself, and that is my bigger annoyance with his comment than him being a member of a disadvantaged and discriminated community.

It's fair to say he's the wrong messenger with his record, sure.

The message is still valid, though, and some of the posters here who disagree haven't really given a satisfactory answer as to why they so vehemently oppose recognizing that both groups of marginalized people go through oppression every single day. As I said, it's a difference in kind, not degree. No one here is dismissing the plight of black people in America just because it's pointed out that LGBT people suffer just as much oppression in different forms.

Intersectionality is critically important to all marginalized people's struggle.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

I just want to echo others in thanking you for reconsidering your posts. It takes a lot to do that, and it's really appreciated. 💛

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
As a gay Muslim, Pete is the biggest disappointment for a gay leader...

I'm not from the black community so can't speak there, but it isn't as simple as "well, we're all oppressed so..."

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
As a gay Muslim, Pete is the biggest disappointment for a gay leader...

I'm not from the black community so can't speak there, but it isn't as simple as "well, we're all oppressed so..."

I'm going to come back around on the post I just made, because even if it is as simple as "we both come from oppressed groups, therefore I'm the best candidate for you becaues I've felt your pain"

Well, then actually advocate for policies that benefit my communities. OH WAIT YOU DON'T. Warren does. She doesn't have to be from the oppressed group to "get it".

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for pointing that out. I found the actual quote on page 2 and it's much more palatable...

It should really be in the OP....

I still have problems with Pete's policies of course.

no problem. I assume you mean this bit in the OP where KSweeley totally mis-characterizes the quote:

Pete Buttigieg has angered some black people by saying with him being gay, it helps him relate to the struggles that black people face in America, these black people view Buttigieg's statement as an attempt by a privileged white man to claim a type of victimhood that is distinct from the black experience in America

reeeealy could have saved us all a lot of bother if it had been described more accurately

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pete sucks but I can see what he is trying to say here. He didn't say they were comparable struggles just that he relates because he has also been a victim of oppression.

The problem with trying to have a nuanced take on anything sensitive is that people don't fucking read articles or listen to speeches anymore. They read headlines are react accordingly. Framing is a serious problem with the internet and especially on partisan maters like this, all it takes is the exclusion of one word to completely change all the context in someones words.