• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
New trailer, if you want to avoid spoilers I'd definitely recommend skipping this one and waiting for the theatrical release

Looks really good. Don't get the complaints at all. It's going to be another King remake that makes bank just like It.

That being said I absolutely will not be able to see this in theaters. I grew up next to a busy street where strays got hit by cars all the time so even the original really affected me. And now I have a kid of my own sooo nooope.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Looks really good. Don't get the complaints at all. It's going to be another King remake that makes bank just like It.

That being said I absolutely will not be able to see this in theaters. I grew up next to a busy street where strays got hit by cars all the time so even the original really affected me. And now I have a kid of my own sooo nooope.

Hopefully these adaptations will continue to be a success so they will eventually give money to someone who can actually make a good film.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
The King estate must be so happy that Stranger Things happened.

And the Stranger Things property is so glad that people love Stephen King.

We're coming full circle.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
So it looks like in this version....

Ellie dies and comes back instead of Gage. Not really sure what to make of that. I don't mind changing up the source material if there's a purpose, but Gage's age made his death and resurrection particularly horrific. Plus it played into Ellie's growing awareness of mortality and all of Rachel's issues stemming from that. I guess they could find a way to make it work but I have reservations...

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Yikes, I had high hopes for this until that new trailer. I can't see any way that major change ends up being a positive one. It smacks of a committee's "bright" idea of "Hey! What if we did this instead?"

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Stephen King adaptations are really into the visual of multiple hands reaching through to try to pry something open.

So both Gage and Ellie die and get resurrected in this one? Seems like they're going wild with little kid zombies.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The point of the original is how horrible it is that Ellie is the one left alone to face all the death she feared so much...

All because they wanted to shield her from it

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
This looks like a straight to red box movie. I'll obviously see it before writing if off, but damn it it doesn't look like another swing and miss on the scariest novel I've ever read.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Stephen King adaptations are really into the visual of multiple hands reaching through to try to pry something open.

So both Gage and Ellie die and get resurrected in this one? Seems like they're going wild with little kid zombies.

Only Ellie dies in this one. The cited reason from the filmmakers is that you can get more acting reminiscent of the demonic possession outlined in the book from an 11 year old actor versus a 2-3 year old one. Makes me more intriqued.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it looks shitty and feels rushed and cheap. It clearly deviates significantly from the book and the whole kids in masks thing is fucking lame.

That said, the nod to the Wendigo bumping around in the forest was nice and something the original film completely omitted. (I think it's arguably the scariest part of the book)

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this new trailer completely turned me off. Whole lot of pointless changes.
Zelda looks campy

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I love the original. Zelda was the first thing ever that made me have nightmares.

I hope this is good.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This looks like a straight to red box movie. I'll obviously see it before writing if off, but damn it it doesn't look like another swing and miss on the scariest novel I've ever read.

If it feels rushed and cheap that's because it is. They basically rushed this into production once IT became a bonafide mega hit and it shows.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow this new trailer completely turned me off. Whole lot of pointless changes.
Zelda looks campy

There was a profound lesson in the critical and commercial success of IT that studio execs refuse to learn.

People want King's novels ADAPTED, not changed and altered radically because a screenwriter thinks they can do better.

Unless you're Stanley Kubrick you'd do well to stick closely to the source material.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I've been on a Stephen King roll lately, so I'll probably give this a shot. Never read the book or watched the original.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
The awful thing about the book is that it starts out as such a quaint and conventional story of a family moving to the rural country side and then slowly erodes into extremely dark horror. The trailers are just like 'THIS IS HORROR YALL.'

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
The awful thing about the book is that it starts out as such a quaint and conventional story of a family moving to the rural country side and then slowly erodes into extremely dark horror. The trailers are just like 'THIS IS HORROR YALL.'

To be fair, the novel was a Stephen King novel. Anyone reading it knew and expected it to take a dark turn. Of course a horror film is going to sell the horror elements.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like in this version....

Ellie dies and comes back instead of Gage. Not really sure what to make of that. I don't mind changing up the source material if there's a purpose, but Gage's age made his death and resurrection particularly horrific. Plus it played into Ellie's growing awareness of mortality and all of Rachel's issues stemming from that. I guess they could find a way to make it work but I have reservations...

Miko did a pretty good job as Gage in the original. Maybe there's just a shortage of good "toddler actors" out there. I guess if people want a more novel-true version, the original movie's where it's at! At least closest your get to it.

Though, the things they are focusing in on with this movie, looks like they are aiming for the Sinister crowd more than anything else. I personally don't like it (just like I didn't like Sinister).

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Hey this might be a good chance to get a King recommendation. Already read these:

Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Stand, The Long Walk, The Dead Zone, Cujo (dropped), Pet Sematary, It, Needful Things, Dolores Claiborne, The Green Mile, Bag of Bones (dropped), Lisey's Story (dropped), Duma Key, 11/22/63, Mr. Mercedes, Night Shift, Different Seasons, Skeleton Crew, Four Past Midnight, Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Hearts in Atlantis (dropped), Everything's Eventual, Just After Sunset, Full Dark, No Stars, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

Anything crucial missing aside from the Dark Tower series that I kinda skipped because the first one didn't grab me?
Gotta' read Revival, dude.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Not a fan of this new trailer whatsoever, they appear to have changed so much. I hope it's a competently made horror movie, at least. I've enjoyed plenty of loosely adapted movies before when the changed make sense.

Is this gonna be full of dumb jump scares with VERY LOUD music in the lead up to the scare (so you know there's a scare coming) like there was in 'It'? It's the one thing I really hated about that movie.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I miss Fred Gwynne's accent for Jud.

The new trailer is eh, some things I'm glad for, like how it's delving into the "evil" more than the old movie did, which basically left that part out, but some other things just feel like they'd have been better not making that change, like the introduction of the others wearing the masks, that just made me roll my eyes because it's been done in other movies and it's not creepy at all imo.

Also Zelda, looks like they are making her some generic CGI "monster" now, which is a huge dis-service and what made the original zelda so damn terrifying.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey this might be a good chance to get a King recommendation. Already read these:

Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Stand, The Long Walk, The Dead Zone, Cujo (dropped), Pet Sematary, It, Needful Things, Dolores Claiborne, The Green Mile, Bag of Bones (dropped), Lisey's Story (dropped), Duma Key, 11/22/63, Mr. Mercedes, Night Shift, Different Seasons, Skeleton Crew, Four Past Midnight, Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Hearts in Atlantis (dropped), Everything's Eventual, Just After Sunset, Full Dark, No Stars, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

Anything crucial missing aside from the Dark Tower series that I kinda skipped because the first one didn't grab me?
Girl who loved Tom Gordon