• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
www.insider.com

Pet goldfish dumped into a Minnesota lake have swelled into monsters, photos show

Officials in Minnesota said that releasing pet goldfish into lakes and ponds could wreak havoc on ecosystems.

Massive goldfish have become an invasive species in a lake in Minnesota where people have released their pet fish.

Officials in Burnsville said last week that releasing pet goldfish into lakes and ponds could wreak havoc on ecosystems.

"Please don't release your pet goldfish into ponds and lakes. They grow bigger than you think!" a post on the city's Facebook page said, adding that they "can contribute to poor water quality by mucking up the bottom sediments and uprooting plants."

The post said that Burnsville and the neighboring town of Apple Valley had been surveying the goldfish population in Keller Lake and that "large groups" of the fish had been seen in recent years.

"Instead of releasing your pet goldfish in a local lake or pond, please consider other options for finding them a new home like asking a responsible friend or neighbor to care for it," the post said.

5M70RAnl.jpg

qENrYsTl.jpg

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Don't release any pet fish into the wild period, but yes goldfish are especially awful destructive to their own environments.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
When kept in small indoor aquariums, goldfish tend to stay about 1 inch (2.5 cm) to 2 inches (5.1 cm) long. Goldfish may grow larger if moved to bigger fish tanks, but they usually do not grow longer than 6 inches (15 cm). In outdoor ponds, and in the wild, goldfish can grow to about 14 inches (36 cm)

We are hindering their POWAH!

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
Goodness....goldfish have always creeped me out past a certain size... They're so repulsive lmao.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
for a sec i forgot they simply grow bigger out of the aquarium

i thought this was going to be some Springfield three eyed fish type scenario

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
They had to drain and thoroughly clean (to remove any possible eggs) an artificial lake in a park in my town to get rid of all the goldfish and alligator fish people had released there because they were swallowing ducklings whole.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I knew goldfish were stunted by their environment but didn't think they were so many people out there that couldn't keep a gold fish or wait it out for it to die so that they were dumping their fish in the lake in droves. They aren't exactly python levels of maintenance.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I caught one as a kid. There's a cute picture from the local paper of a 5 year old boy holding this giant goldfish. It took a while for anyone to even know what the hell it was.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
"OMG Goldie it's so good to see you again! You're looking very healthy since I released you!"

great_carp_feeding.jpg