• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
A Perth vegan has taken her neighbours all the way to the Supreme Court, demanding they stop smoking, bouncing balls and even cooking barbecues in the backyard.
Cilla Carden, from Girrawheen, in Perth's northern suburbs said she's fed up with the smell of meat cooking on the barbecue next door.
"They've put it there so I smell fish, all I can smell is fish. I can't enjoy my backyard, I can't go out there."

Lady seems a little...off

Beat me with a tofu noodle if old

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I wish my neighbor bbq'd, smoked cigarettes and played basketball all day.

Mine just leaves cat food outside and attracts skunks.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smoking and barbecues I can understand, and I don't even find unreasonable if they are doing it just to piss her off. Some people do that, particularly when it comes to cooking meat around vegans. Most people are just doing it because they want to do their own thing though and it's fairly normal, and this article obviously is written to make you think that's what they are doing.

Basketball though? That I don't understand at all.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's ridiculous. Playing basketball and BBQing isn't out of the norm, nor is it something she should be able to prevent her neighbors from doing.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
How is she going to go back to court if her case was dismissed? Not familiar with the Australian court system.

She sounds like she needs therapy or a vacation.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, what terrible neighbors they are. Surely no one has ever barbecued, bounced balls, or smoked in their own private back yard before.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
The article should push more on the multiple neighbours angle, as it's not just one.

Also, it's not this woman's problem, clearly, it's every single one of her neighbours that's terrible.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I'm not 100% Vegan (not really close to be honest) but they/it have my full support and I do what I can, when I can to avoid meat or dairy..

..until it comes to militant, in your face veganism.

I understand the frustration some vegans may feel if they're extremely passionate, but treating others like shit who don't share your views can be a huge problem.

In cases like this you can't just order people around. People have the right to enjoy meat if they choose to.

What I don't agree with are smug attitudes of meat eaters (vegans too!). You don't have to be an asshole whether you eat meat or you're a vegan.

People need to exercise more tolerance, fuck.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
to the WA Supreme Court, demanding they stop smoking, bouncing balls and even cooking barbecues in the backyard.

Grill her veggies
Teach her basketball
Pressure her to start smoking

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
I had a vegan neighbour complain about "smoke drift". When I really knew it was what I was cooking that annoyed her. Considering my BBQs are few and far between I didn't even consider a compromise

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand being annoying if it feels like they're intentionally grilling to annoy you. But also, if this is your big problem, fuck right off.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I think I saw a half second glimpse of the neighbor in the video, and I have an idea what this is really about.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
"But a Supreme Court Judge and the State Administrative Tribunal have sided with her neighbours, dismissing her case."

The neighbors complied with all demands and she still trying to take them to court.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
...because the world needs even more annoying, militant, extremist vegans who totally destroy any goodwill towards the lifestyle.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Smoking and barbecues I can understand, and I don't even find unreasonable if they are doing it just to piss her off. Some people do that, particularly when it comes to cooking meat around vegans. Most people are just doing it because they want to do their own thing though and it's fairly normal, and this article obviously is written to make you think that's what they are doing.

Basketball though? That I don't understand at all.
No.. just no.

I'm not altering my eating habits because YOU don't eat meat.

Screw that lady, she needs to get over herself.

And it's not just the meat... She wants the kids to stop playing basketball? GTFOH

You want solitude, go live on an island. You live in a neighborhood, so expect neighborhood things.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I detest the smell of cigarette smoke, but I wouldn't dream of lodging a complaint for people smoking in their own yard. How self absorbed can you be!

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
A BBQ I had not to long ago:

Me: hey man, I heard you were a serious vegan.

Him: yes, I am.

Me: I have this separate Smokey Joe over here all setup so I can cook you some veggies or something

Him: you don't have to do that, I don't want to be a bother.

Me: nah, man. I'll make some off these veggie skewers.

Him: cool, thanks

That's how their BBQ should have gone.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.. just no.

I'm not altering my eating habits because YOU don't eat meat.

Screw that lady, she needs to get over herself.

And it's not just the meat... She wants the kids to stop playing basketball? GTFOH

You want solitude, go live on an island. You live in a neighborhood, so expect neighborhood things.

You are reacting to bullshit I never said. But sure thing.

TravoltaWatchesYou

Alt account
Banned
Aug 24, 2019
She looks exactly like someone that would complain about her neighbors cooking. I bet her house stinks like weed and incense.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
She should 100% move. That sounds like the best solution for everyone involved.

Oct 27, 2017
Cigarette smoke I can see getting irritated with that, especially given second-hand smoke's effect on health. For the rest she sounds nutty.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's in Girrawheen? She's gonna catch a home invasion over this, that's still a pretty rough suberb.

OK, that community barbecue thing is hilarious. Mean, but hilarious.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i know at least 2 vegans that go to bbqs with no issues

they do their weird kebob things and i eat a hotdog or 5 and we complain about work

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
there's more to the story than the title

her backyard is inundated by her neighbor's smoke

I had neighbor who had a firepit, that shit was annoying as fuck,

I am a meat eater and I agree with her, the neighbor's smoke should not travel onto her yard

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
If I had someone politely complain to me about my barbecue smoke I'd try to do something so smoke doesn't travel as much to her yard. But if she demanded it, I'd make three meal a day on the barbecue and promptly die of colon cancer just to antagonize her. I can be petty like that when someone tells me what to do in my house.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
790605.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.