• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Been a big fan of the series since Tekken 3 and I liked the simple but effective designs. Fast forward to present era....and we have stuff like this:

When either of these was pretty effective and should have been left alone:
imgbin-tekken-6-tekken-tag-tournament-2-jin-kazama-kazuya-mishima-others-YANqyBuJpkN7qPsMVw5CDRJ7E.jpg
e0f34393a880c89bcf650c6e27b1846b.jpg

Some (well most) of the returning characters are just an overdesigned or tacky mess. Here are some comparisons:
Before
200px-Lei_Wulong.jpg

Now

Before
hwoarang-hqt5.jpg
hwoarang-white.jpg

tekken_4_hwoarang_render_by_shad0w8_d4sv6u7-pre.png

Now

Before
2ba78dec960738cf11e82f15ada562f7.jpg

Now

Personally, I feel like the series hit peak (best) design at Tekken 5. From that game on, the newcomers have been real hit or miss as far as designs go....but I will say I like Dragunov, Kazumi's and Miguel's designs but the buck stops there. How do you guys feel? Do you agree? Disagree? Honorable design mentions? I didn't mention either of the Tag games cause most of the designs there are the same, but Jun's is dope, I'll give her that.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Hwoarang is fucked but Marduk is legit

and we got Anna

New designs are all great imo, but designs from the Tekken 7 arcade days are all mostly trash except for a select few (Lee Chaolan is always cool)

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Jin's Tekken 7 outfit but I still think they perfected that hoodie design in 4;

b2d1e57bec48c19e06cff28763df5212.jpg

Otherwise, I think Hwoarang is the only example in the OP that's objectively bad. The others are fine and some of the better redesigns in the game.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Doesn't Tekken have like 5 different character designers now?

How is Jin supposed to move his arms with those things on and what are those even supposed to be?

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Hwoarang is fucked but Marduk is legit

and we got Anna

New designs are all great imo, but designs from the Tekken 7 arcade days are all mostly trash except for a select few (Lee Chaolan is always cool)
She's too busy for me. I know the game is ridiculous and all...cyborgs and devils and bears...but for me it kinda breaks my immersion a little when I see someone fighting in a extra busy/cumbersome looking outfit

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I like Jin's Tekken 7 outfit but I still think they perfected that hoodie design in 4;

b2d1e57bec48c19e06cff28763df5212.jpg

Otherwise, I think Hwoarang is the only example in the OP that's objectively bad. The others are fine and some of the better redesigns in the game.
Man I HATE they didn't keep a lot of the designs from Tekken 4. I know the game was bad but not EVERYTHING.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Tekken designs have been floated since FOREVER, way before 7. Anytime I get asked to make a Tekken art commission I
a) am grateful and do it happily
b)want to die

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Jin would honestly be fine if it weren't for whatever the fuck those are on his arms.

I still hate what happened to Leo.
latest

Standard anime belts aside, why do they have those orbs on chains? That's super dumb.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It's kind of the same problem that Mortal Kombat has (though I think it's improved in the latest MK). The character "designers" are just obsessed with putting as many stupid little trinkets and whatnot on characters, and they just end up looking over-designed.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I think Jin looks pretty lame, especially with the hood up, but everyone else is good. Lei is an awesome design.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I've bought every Tekken game - except 7 - and think the character designs have gotten worse and worse.

I adore the rather simplistic, but memorable designs from Tekken 3. Tekken 4 was a massive shock for me.

Take that hoody of Jin FFS!

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Tekken has had trash character designs for games now. They're gaudy and cheesy looking. I blame Tetsuya Nomura for starting the trinket fad you see in Japanese gaming character designs these days.

Still a great playing game though.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I know its your personal opinion, but uh, everything you posted looks tight.

I'm not with you man. Characters can't look the same forever, and that's cool. Evolve and move on

Oct 27, 2017
You're not wrong.

I feel like so many of the designs in Tekken 7 tried to be modern and stylish, only to feel obnoxious and confusing as a result.

At the very least, give us a story mode that EXPLAINS why they look the way they do. The character stories in Tekken 7 were absolutely awful.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
They really hit a lot of characters with the greeble hose. Eddy Gordo's T7 costume is generally pretty nice, though it too suffers from gratuitous accessorizing.

Reminds me of what happened to Soul Calibur's character designs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Man everyone looked so good in Tekken 4

latest

lee-z1.jpg

julia-z1.jpg
Aside from diaper Heihachi, no lies detected. I'll even go on record to say Tekken 4 has the most of my favorite designs for returning characters in the series. Pretty much EVERYBODY looked good. The roster was kinda small but still.

Newcomers Christie and Steve looked dope too

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from diaper Heihachi, no lies detected. I'll even go on record to say Tekken 4 has the most of my favorite designs for returning characters in the series. Pretty much EVERYBODY looked good. The roster was kinda small but still.
nah diaper heihachi was dope

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lol diaper Heihachi is indeed bizarre but it's Tekken so I'll allow it.

And yeah, 4's roster could have been bigger. It's especially disappointing when you listen to the announcer's un-used clips and find out that there might have been a ton more characters planned at one point.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Marduk looks doper than ever.

I'd say the best character designs are tied between 4 and 5 for me if we're talking about the current cast.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Hard disagree. The instinct to drown designs of all kinds in superfluous details is universal, and it's something every good graphic designer gets, at some point, beaten out of them.

34866014-81-C7-4482-B59-B-316-B522-F467-F.jpg

Words to fucking live by.
Character designers and graphic designers are not the same thing. And do not abide by the same rules, often the rules of character design change depending on what the project is and what people want out of the project. Some project require crazy " over designed " designs. This is ontop of what is over design is in the eye of the beholder and unless it is a almost universally hated design is usually something that can be argued.

This is actually really funny , because there's an illustrator meme about or family members asking us to design logos and shit and us telling them, we aren't the people to do that.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
Some are definitely hit or miss. We also got amazing ones like Armor King and Anna. At least most legacy customes are still in the game. Really hope they go for a more Tekken 4 like design overall. They probably won't considering a lost of people hated it.

Personally I'd say:

Good/superior design:
  • Alisa
  • Anna
  • Armor King
  • Bob
  • Bryan
  • Eddy
  • Dragunov
  • Feng
  • Kazumi
  • King
  • Kuma/Panda
  • Lee
  • Leroy Smith
  • Lili
  • Lei
  • Law
  • Master Raven
  • Shaheen
  • Zafina

Bad/inferior design:
  • Asuka
  • Claudio
  • Devil Jin
  • Eliza
  • Gigas
  • Heihachi
  • Hwoarang
  • Jack-7
  • Jin
  • Josie
  • Julia
  • Katarina
  • Kazuya
  • Lars
  • Leo
  • Lucky Chloe
  • Miguel
  • Nina
  • Paul
  • Steve
  • Xiaoyu
  • Yoshimitsu

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd agree with the OP. Honestly some of these guys look like they came out of a create a fighter mode. Not very much thought, some look pretty ordinary.

New guy, Leroy also looks pretty generic.