• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
Folks, family need a second car.

On the market for another one. Financing.. which is the best way to get financing going?

Good credit.

Thanks.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I would try multiple sources, starting with a vehicle loan through your own bank.

I went through my credit union, and got a good rate. Once I found a car, the dealer offered to try to get a better rate through one of their partners, and I ended up with an even better rate.

Tell your dealer what rate you have, and see if they can beat it.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Car loan through a financial institution, unless you can get a zero interest (or very low interest loan) from the auto maker (NOT THE DEALER))

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Get a loan through a bank. They'll give you a number of what you can spend, and usually much better interest rates than going through the dealer.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
The auto makers will do really low rates some times, so it is worth looking in to.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Its a bad time to invest on a car - the rates are probably gonna be high anywhere you go but if you need one badly there's not much of a choice other than shopping around.

Just whatever you do, plan to refinance when the rates eventually get better.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Get a number from your bank, then go to the dealer and don't tell them what you have, tell them you want financing and see what they tell you. You can then tell them "oh, I went to my bank and got this, I'm going to go with it" and see what they do

I bought a car a year and a half ago and got a quote from the bank and then the dealer was a better deal!

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Get a loan through your bank to start with.

Walk into the dealer with the blank check in hand...

If the dealer wants to try and beat it, GREAT! If not, you are sorted anyway.

Mr Bungle

Dec 11, 2017
The dealer will always push to have you take their loan since they get incentives from the bank. Go in with the best offer from a bank and see if they can beat it.

Furiousone

Oct 29, 2017
Get preapproved through a local bank(credit unions tend to have great rates). Go into the dealership and see what their options are…the manufacturer may be offering 0% for 58/60/72, in which case jump all over it…free money.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Try credit unions as well. A local credit union gave me the best rate for a new Tesla

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Novice question, but is it generally pretty bad towards your credit to have a bank/credit union and dealership banks to run your credit around the same time frame?

Last edited:

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
If it's a new car and you have good credit, the best terms are usually through the manufacturer's financing company.

King Fossil

Oct 26, 2017
Novie question, but is it generally pretty bad towards your credit to have a bank/credit union and dealership banks to run your credit around the same time frame?

I think it's ideal assuming it's for the same type of loan so the inquiries can be grouped together when done in a short time frame from each other.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Get pre-approved for an auto loan at your local credit union. My credit union is still offering loans at 1.99%.

That's what I've done for the last two cars I bought. Never doing differently. It helps cut through so much bullshit and haggling.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, go in with an approval from your bank for the amount you expect to finance.

If the Finance Department at that dealership can beat it, they'll beat it.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely check Penfed. When I looked that was the best deal aside from manufacturer subsidized loans.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Last time I bought, I got pre approved from Capital One and then took that with me to the dealership, ended up getting a better rate from the dealership

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Its a bad time to invest on a car - the rates are probably gonna be high anywhere you go but if you need one badly there's not much of a choice other than shopping around.

Just whatever you do, plan to refinance when the rates eventually get better.

Not just the rates but the prices are still way too high because inventory is shit. It's a double whammy right now.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Run it through multiple sources and snag the best APR.
Walking in with a pre-approval may get you a better deal with the dealer's internal financing.

TrubbleFrog

Feb 23, 2018
Novice question, but is it generally pretty bad towards your credit to have a bank/credit union and dealership banks to run your credit around the same time frame?

Wife recently had to get a new car. Her bank told her as long as she got them done within the same timeframe there wouldn't be any impact.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Not a personal loan, rates will always be higher.

You should get an auto loan thru your bank or the dealer, whichever has better rates.

Dealer rates are usually lower and they can incentivize it. I only get bank loans for used cars, my credit union tends to have low rates for used cars. My credit union did 1.99% for my wife's used car, but Mazda/Chase was 0% for my new car back in 2017. Mazda used/certified pre owned rates were like... 3%+ at the time.

Dunno what dealer rates are these days given the fed hikes.

Jan 29, 2018
Every time I went to the dealer with my own loan pre-approval the dealer always managed to match or beat it so I've always ended up using the dealer financing.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Go to local credit unions and get pre-approved with the lowest rate you can find and the dealership will most likely try and beat it. You'll likely shave a few tenths off with a local credit union.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Usually you can get a pre approval without having to run your credit, so you could check rates and payments from both without even worrying about a credit check. Usually... I dunno if that's still the case but it was 5+ years ago when we were buying our cars.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Bought a Honda back in March 2021 and we got a 4-year loan with 0% interest from Honda Financial Services. Didn't even bother shopping around as that was awesome imo.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
My bank is giving me a 2.3% interest rate, while other dealers have been talking about between 3.5-4%. I think it just depends on your bank, but I would start there first.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I recently did this - got my bank's rate, which was fairly competitive... took that to the dealership and they beat it by a point. So I would definitely come with an offer, have them run a few and see what they can get you. They're going to want to beat the bank and give you an option.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
I've found that Lightstream consistently gives the best rates for excellent credit. Completely hassle free, too.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Worked in credit unions and banks for 10 years. Get a secured loan as the rate will always be lower as the collateral will bring the rate down.

In my experience the car loan options will be Credit Union Car > Bank Car > Special Financing Through Dealership (Just be careful and read fine print) > Unsecured Personal Loan

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Last time we bought a new car 2018, the dealer offered the best rate +incentives with my wife's 800+ credit score. Just shop the rates like car insurance and go with that lender. Credit unions are typically a great go to, but always see what the dealers is offering in comparison.

Oct 27, 2017
Get a number from your bank, then go to the dealer and don't tell them what you have, tell them you want financing and see what they tell you. You can then tell them "oh, I went to my bank and got this, I'm going to go with it" and see what they do

I bought a car a year and a half ago and got a quote from the bank and then the dealer was a better deal!
This. Do this, OP. Especially if you have an okay or better credit score. Did something similar last year and got a much better rate than what they were initially offering.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Nope, if they do it within a certain time period it reads out in there systems as shopping around for a loan. So you only get hit once with a hard credit pull on you're credit score.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
I would finance directly through the manufacturer of the car if at all possible. See if you can do so at a Toyota dealer.

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
I didn't finance with the dealership due to the high APR, I went to a local credit union and applied for a loan there and got a low APR there, way better than the dealership.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Word of warning.

A friend had a 2014 VW Touareg to sell and they offered it to me for $12,000 b/c that's what she paid several years ago and the market is HOT. Well in the end she decided to throw it on Facebook Marketplace instead, and she sold it for $17,500. Buyer paid cash.

The market is fucked, but if you need a car it is what it is. I need cars for my two 16 year olds but no fucking way right now.