• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm playing as a minor who already has a criminal record and all he did was trying to help a woman from getting kidnapped? The story is dragging his failure and faults by his parents, new care taker, principal, ms. Kawakami and a P.e teacher.. I mean I know the game is fiction and possibly based in Japan, but the law in this game sucks and all the characters I met lack any common sense or empathy...

am I jumping the bullet here?
So far this isn't very believable, not one person has been nice to the guy Lol
the story sucks so far.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They go over it more later on, don't wanna tell you too much but it makes some sense later on as in a situation you can see happening in a pre-cancel/woke timeline.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
possibly based in Japan,

tenor.gif

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
So I'm playing as a minor who already has a criminal record and all he did was trying to help a woman from getting kidnapped? The story is dragging his failure and faults by his parents, new care taker, principal, ms. Kawakami and a P.e teacher.. I mean I know the game is fiction and possibly based in Japan, but the law in this game sucks and all the characters I met lack any common sense or empathy...

am I jumping the bullet here?
So far this isn't very believable, not one person has been nice to the guy Lol
the story sucks so far.

If it's worth of something, the first hour or two I thought the game's story was incredibly stupid as so the dialogue, I kept playing another day and ended loving it, I even finished twice in a row and was my 2nd fav of the year.

I thought the same as you about what happened to the protagonist but it's explained later on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
They go over it more later on, don't wanna tell you too much but it makes some sense later on as in a situation you can see happening in a pre-cancel/woke timeline.

I heard the guy (kidnapper)telling me he runs the cops and he will sue me...but even if he did control the cops I just don't see how everyone including the parents kid think his case was unfair or whatever... I guess I'll keep playing the game.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
"the nail that sticks up gets hammered"
thats a mentality that is prevalent in japanese culture
it basically means mind your damn business even if someone is doing something bad.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
You answered your own question. The guy says he controls the cops so why do you think he would said what you really did? He probably made you look super bad.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
The marketing for Persona 5 made the theme about breaking free of the chains of society and maybe I could see how someone coming from P4's wholesome, welcoming town would get whiplash from P5. But it seems pretty clear that P5 wants you to feel isolated and that there's no place in society for the protagonist. Chains of society as established through everyone's apathy or preconceived judgements.

If that seems too edgy, no worries. It slots back toward more fun anime shenanigans as soon as you get some party members.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Yes, it's stupid. You'd think he killed someone by the way they treat him. And then they all forget and is barely mentioned anymore.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't remember anything about the game since I played it 3 years ago.

Been living in Japan for 7 years . Getting a criminal record for attempting to stop a kidnapping sounds like something that could happen here

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
All of your questions will be answered eventually. Enjoy your playthrough, this game is really good!

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's stupid. You'd think he killed someone by the way they treat him. And then they all forget and is barely mentioned anymore.

Most of them "forget" because time passes and the protag doesn't really do anything to cause trouble in the public eye. Should they bring it up all the time for months and months? It's only brought up initially since he's new and they don't know about him.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Most of them "forget" because time passes and the protag doesn't really do anything to cause trouble in the public eye. Should they bring it up all the time for months and months? It's only brought up initially since he's new and they don't know about him.
The protagonist also doesn't actually hang out much at school.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Most of them "forget" because time passes and the protag doesn't really do anything to cause trouble in the public eye. Should they bring it up all the time for months and months?
I do think the switch from gossiping about the protag's criminal record to current events made the atmosphere less uniquely oppressive. Which was a shame since that part of P5 was the most riveting to me and it was so short lived.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I think they try to keep it vague to "reveal" more information later.

But after finishing that whole game, I'd say what you're encountering more than anything is poor pacing and poor writing. Expect that to continue.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
It's not what the protagonist did, the bald dude concocted a story and fed it to police. He did it to fuck with him.

That whole section should have been a lot more engaging though. I still remember the delivery of "The police are my bitches" and laugh. So bad

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
They go into more about it later but it is literally 80-100 hours later, just become closer with your party mates in the mean time.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I am... Joker...

I am... the absence of comedy.

*Jokers Theme*

Nov 23, 2017
I mean, you're right about this much, the story is terrible. But despite that, I really don't think you understand what's going on.
I think they try to keep it vague to "reveal" more information later.

But after finishing that whole game, I'd say what you're encountering more than anything is poor pacing and poor writing. Expect that to continue.
giphy.gif

some people really gotta grind the axe about whatever GoTY game/very well received game they dislike and think others need to dislike too in every thread about it huh

Oct 29, 2017
If it's worth of something, the first hour or two I thought the game's story was incredibly stupid as so the dialogue, I kept playing another day and ended loving it, I even finished twice in a row and was my 2nd fav of the year.

I thought the same as you about what happened to the protagonist but it's explained later on.
Indeed the begining has grating dialogue. I never played persona and I found the dialog up it's own ass. Just keep going. It grows on you and it doesn't take long at all. This isn't a ffXIII situation.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
some people really gotta grind the axe about whatever GoTY game/very well received game they dislike and think others need to dislike too in every thread about it huh

You can feel however you want about it. I never suggested otherwise.

I think P5 is a mediocre game stretched across way too many hours. The pacing and writing were downright bad. It has put me off of the series as a whole, and previously, I would have considered it one of my favorite series.

I'm sorry that bothers you so much, but others are allowed to have their opinion about a game despite what you feel the prevailing sentiment is.