• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
No, I'm just inconsistent lol.
I'm thinking it makes the most sense for it to be automatic to reconcile with her being a party member late in the game while also being introduced early.
And yet there's conflicting evidence with the lunch scene.

Though for all we know, that could be a story event.
Ah, haha, gotcha. Maybe we'll be able to increase her Confidant rank up to a certain point (e.g. level 5) then it'll be locked until she joins the party? That would be weird if they're not a certain rank yet when they join though... so yeah, I suppose the lunch screenshot could be a scripted story event.

Speaking of Confidants and hanging out with them, I'm not holding out too much hope but it would be great if we could do fun and not-useless events with them after maxing them out, especially those we romance. That was one of the bigger disappointments for me in the original game.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, haha, gotcha. Maybe we'll be able to increase her Confidant rank up to a certain point (e.g. level 5) then it'll be locked until she joins the party? That would be weird if they're not a certain rank yet when they join though... so yeah, I suppose the lunch screenshot could be a scripted story event.

Speaking of Confidants and hanging out with them, I'm not holding out too much hope but it would be great if we could do fun and not-useless events with them after maxing them out, especially those we romance. That was one of the bigger disappointments for me in the original game.
The thing is, what exactly would count as not-useless? Picking up room decorations? Another set of unique accessories/consumables?

It's like this kind of endless demand for more content. imo it's best to leave them as just the option to interact with them even after maxing out.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hi Persona community !
I'm currently playing through Yakuza Kiwami 2, which I should be done with in about a week, and I though now would be a good time to finally play Persona 3 while waiting for Judgement to come out. Since I might need some time to hunt down the game and a console, I'll already ask the question:

Should I play P3, P3FES or P3P ?

What's the pros and cons of each version? Which is your favourite?

Also, is there something I need to know, coming from P4G and P5?

Thank you!

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Hi Persona community !
I'm currently playing through Yakuza Kiwami 2, which I should be done with in about a week, and I though now would be a good time to finally play Persona 3 while waiting for Judgement to come out. Since I might need some time to hunt down the game and a console, I'll already ask the question:

Thank you!
Ooooooook. This is a question that has no definitive answer, but I'll do the best I can.

The question is FES vs P3P, there's no real reason to play vanilla P3. So here we go...

FES
+ Full anime cutscenes and 3d Overworld
+ Epilogue story The Answer (YMMV)
+ MC can use any weapon and fusion spells are a thing
- Party is AI controlled and can lead to......annoying decisions

P3P
+ FemC route, changes dialogue during the game, has different s.links and different music
+ Full party control in battles
+ Portable (obviously), play wherever, whenever
- Bad presentation, overworld is now point and click, and all dialogue is strict VN format (Tartarus is still full 3d movement)

There is no real answer to this question, it's just a case of which one you prefer more. I prefer P3P for the gameplay changes and some of FemCs s.links being real fucking good. Other people prefer the presentation of FES, and I dont blame them for that choice either.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ooooooook. This is a question that has no definitive answer, but I'll do the best I can.

The question is FES vs P3P, there's no real reason to play vanilla P3. So here we go...

FES
+ Full anime cutscenes and 3d Overworld
+ Epilogue story The Answer (YMMV)
+ MC can use any weapon and fusion spells are a thing
- Party is AI controlled and can lead to......annoying decisions

P3P
+ FemC route, changes dialogue during the game, has different s.links and different music
+ Full party control in battles
+ Portable (obviously), play wherever, whenever
- Bad presentation, overworld is now point and click, and all dialogue is strict VN format (Tartarus is still full 3d movement)

There is no real answer to this question, it's just a case of which one you prefer more. I prefer P3P for the gameplay changes and some of FemCs s.links being real fucking good. Other people prefer the presentation of FES, and I dont blame them for that choice either.
I watched some videos between my post and now, I think I'll go with FES since I intend to play on easy anyway so the automatic party members shouldn't be as much trouble and I'd rather have the better presentation since I want to play this at home on a big screen. Thanks for the great recap!

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Royale still not shipping to the US on Amazon.jp. 😭

I'm going to wait and hope it pops up eventually. I'm only going to get the standard edition anyways. The mystery art book version isn't worth another $80 imo. I was able to get Persona 5 from Amazon.jp in like three days after release in Japan. Pretty crazy for importing to me. That's why I'd prefer to use them.

It's up on Amiami but it'll probably take a month to get here from them if my past orders are to be believed.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I have never had this experience from Amiami for preorders. At the absolute worst they've been slower than Amazon by 2-3 days.

I've only ordered figures from Ami and they've been held up in customs for weeks sometimes.

Maybe since those usually come in huge boxes they take a bit.

I'll probably wait at least a few more weeks and if it doesn't open up on Amazon, I'll just try Ami. I'll still get the game earlier than in US release. Lol.

JigsawPSN

Banned
Apr 11, 2019
Hi Persona community !

Thank you!

do you have a ps3? because p3fes is on PSN for 10 bucks

FES all the way the first time you play it, p3p removes all 3d realtime cutscenes, its just text and pictures like a visual novel, you never see characters interact with each other

like, this scene here

maxresdefault.jpg

simply doesnt work in p3p, and there are dozens of that

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
Coming from playing a ton of Persona 4, I had internalized the sort of visual vocabulary of those games pretty well by that point, and was able to imagine a lot of those scenes in my head pretty well. I feel like it ended up making me more attached since I was able to put my own personal spin on the scenes. Are the VN-style cutscenes less elegant, or let you miss out on some small details? Sure, but I think they still absolutely work.

And in the case of that scene above...

unknown.png

I think that communicates the same thing fine.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I playing portable at the moment and its fine because I've seen it all a load of times before but I'm certainly glad this wasn't my first experience of the game

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Thinking about it - there's a lot of similarities between Persona 5 and Golden Wind that pepole don't give credit for. Make mention of. I know JoJo Part 4/DIU are compared a lot but i think P5/Persona 5 have a lot of similarties between the protagonist's goal, the antagonist, the traitor as well as the characters

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Man it upsets me that *P5 spoilers*:
59039451_2288118497921448_5462230731495309312_n.png

4.6k people like this post and reading the comments and seeing so many people empathize with Akechi? Did I miss something? I feel like people handwave his issues because hes hot or something, because his last 15 minutes made me hate him. Like I find Adachi despicable person but a good villain(until ultimax seemed to hint at a path where he might be redeemable blech). Especially the Futaba comparison "You relate to me because I caused events to transpire to make you relate to me". Imo Akechi fans reach super hard to make him redeemable and make him sympathetic but i'm not seeing it. I was ok with him the entire game up until his boss fight.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think they could have gone an interesting route with
Akechi's heel turn. But instead they decided to go with the exact same psychological breakdown they did with the P4 villain, seemingly for no reason other than shock value. It was redundant, and devalued his character, when they could have taken it in another direction (even extremely cold and calculating, with lifeless eyes, would have been much better than "look how crazy I am now").

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they could have gone an interesting route with
Akechi's heel turn. But instead they decided to go with the exact same psychological breakdown they did with the P4 villain, seemingly for no reason other than shock value. It was redundant, and devalued his character, when they could have taken it in another direction (even extremely cold and calculating, with lifeless eyes, would have been much better than "look how crazy I am now").
I'm hoping Royal will flesh him out more.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Man it upsets me that *P5 spoilers*:
59039451_2288118497921448_5462230731495309312_n.png

4.6k people like this post and reading the comments and seeing so many people empathize with Akechi? Did I miss something? I feel like people handwave his issues because hes hot or something, because his last 15 minutes made me hate him. Like I find Adachi despicable person but a good villain(until ultimax seemed to hint at a path where he might be redeemable blech). Especially the Futaba comparison "You relate to me because I caused events to transpire to make you relate to me". Imo Akechi fans reach super hard to make him redeemable and make him sympathetic but i'm not seeing it. I was ok with him the entire game up until his boss fight.

I agree with the point of that image but not the reasoning it redeems Akechi. THE POINT of him is that he rejected the bonds of others when faced with those issues. Each other person found the strength through their friends to overcome and find their Persona, Akechi went dark and vindictive. The whole line about Haru saying there's another life where they could have been friends is true, because there is one where Akechi did fit in to the group but he chose not to.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't count on any localization changes. They'd need to redub a lot of lines and it's probably more trouble than it's worth. Maybe for unvoiced dialogue, but even then I'm not so sure.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Did you guys like the dancing games? I just got the collection with all three of them for a decent price so I'm diving into that.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Was browsing through my P5 art book when I saw this. Never saw it before but I'm kinda stunned at how happy Sae looks here.

D5Z0Cw7UwAEYwaQ.jpg:small

Hopefully, there'll be plenty of screen time for Sae in the third semester. I'd also love to see more interactions between her and Makoto.

Especially since she doesn't get that much time anymore after Shido's Palace. I'm also looking forward to seeing her at her new job.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the way the social links works in the P3/P5 dancing games is way better than the 20 minute cutscenes in P4DAN. These games are fun though.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
So in Persona 5, is there any benefit or downside to finishing a countdown ahead of time? I have 14 days till I get expelled. If I were to wrap this up early, what happens? Do I just get the extra days to do whatever or does it just ahead to the next major storyline?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So in Persona 5, is there any benefit or downside to finishing a countdown ahead of time? I have 14 days till I get expelled. If I were to wrap this up early, what happens? Do I just get the extra days to do whatever or does it just ahead to the next major storyline?
You get the rest of the time free. The plot doesn't advance till the deadline passes.

I always try to get it done as soon as possible so I can work on Confidants.

SethSeries

Dec 16, 2018
I finished Persona 5 this week after 2 years of going back and forth as to whether or not I hated that game. Gonna throw some thoughts in the spoiler brackets so it doesn't bog down the thread.

Its wild at how that game is done dirty by how bad the middle section is. Makoto and Haru's dungeons are pretty rough and Sae's borders on it. I was less mad through Shido and the final dungeons but I had a guide at this point because I was burnt out. Okamura spaceship legit turned me off this game for about six months and I'm really surprised I came back, but I'm glad I did. Everything involving Akechi and then battling the concept of the social construct as a form of rebellion is really damn cool.

I actively kinda hated this game over the span of like a year because of the dungeon design and just some of the choices it makes. There's almost a weird duality in the game where something like that shitty gay couple the writers use an an avenue for "gay folk prey on children" jokes exist alongside something as respectful as Lala.
IAlongside that, I really wasn't feeling most of the party until Morgana hit his 10 rank s link and I realized that I wasn't gonna have that with any of my other party members. The closest were Ann and Ryuji but both just get done so dirty throughout the story. I was pretty bummed to see Ryuji pull the same shit with the rest of the girls that he did with Ann during Madarame. He's so close to being the best of the three between Yosuke and Junpei but it sucks. Barring Futaba, who is basically just my kid sister, I didn't really resonate with the rest of the cast in the way I did P4s. I'm most disappointed in Makoto because that character had the potential to be amazing but she's just bland in the end. I didn't really get to spend much time with Haru so I can't really judge that too much. The non party confidants are great and the trio of Takemi/Kawakami/Iwai are all really damn strong. I liked Sojiro a lot too.
As far as the game structure goes, it feels a really bland middle stuck between two highs. Kamoshida/Madarame are really powerful moments in that game and the ending act actively had me hootin' and hollerin'. Having gone in fresh, I really do wonder if they'll try to redeem Akechi because the amount of work it would take is wild. I'm pretty sure it's implied he kills Futaba's mom and he explicitly kills Haru's dad. I really don't think you can write around that to make him a full party member in Royale without drastically changing those scripts and even then he's got a double digit body count. Barring his "death" even afterwards, the party still seems to treat Akechi like a tragic monster but still recognize that he was still a bad person. It's 50/50 to me at this point. Everything past him is so fucking crazy though. The moment everyone is like "let's steal the treasure of the public at large" I started to get really into it. I kinda wish the "reawaken you teammates's rebellious spirits" moment had been a bit more substantial but it be that way. The final boss was a neat fight and I really enjoyed summoning Sataniel as a final act of defiance. All in all, I really came around on this game in a way I didn't expect. It still has problems though.
I think that overall, this game has things to say, especially after talking to a native citizen of Japan who explained some themes to me. The problem is that parts of what it wants to say are actively challenged by some of the dumb shit it's done along the way. I think a big problem I have with the cast is that they are kinda static even with S Link developments in a game that should be about dramatic change in regards to awakening that rebellious spirit. I think that having some of the weird, gross shit Ryuji does alongside just some other mean spirited bits kinda undoes parts of that message too. This game is supposed to be underdogs cast out by society rebelling against and changing said society positively, but it likes it's weird prodding at non-traditional folk to contemporary japan (ie gay folk and women). It actively devalues what good I think the ending does and it's hard to take it seriously.

I feel like I've entered a weird place with Persona 5 where I've written Royale off completely but I'm willing to give a team with a fresh director a chance. I think there are some folk on that team with their hearts in the right place, but Hashino's weirdness shines through. I'd try Royale but no part of me wants to redo a longer persona 5. The idea of redoing Okamura dungeon gives me greys. That said, I think this is a really strong but flawed game in the end. I'm excited now to try P3P and close the book on modern persona for awhile.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I started a playthrough of P3P over a year ago and am finally getting back around to finishing it. I finished all the nighttime S-Links and maxed out all the social stats already. I'm playing as FeMC.

Now I basically have nothing to do at night for December, and am just going to bed early. I already got to the end of the current Tartarus Block. I remember this sort of happening for FES too, but I feel like they should have added another block of Tartarus after the full moon at the end of November. I've already got Thanatos and am doing some of the other Elizabeth quests, but for the most part I'm just rushing to the end.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
So Sony reveld State of Play for May 9th, didn't Atlus say that more information about Persona 5R is coming on that day? Japanese State of Play is said to be longer...

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Damn so close :P. Would have been cool to see Persona there but I guess it's not happening.
So Sony reveld State of Play for May 9th, didn't Atlus say that more information about Persona 5R is coming on that day? Japanese State of Play is said to be longer...
Doubtful any new info would show up at one of those, since Atlus generally doesn't do events that aren't their own for new info, unless it's info that's already out there. (See how SMT games have been in Nintendo Directs, but it was info that already existed).