• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
With a new team taking on the series post-5 I think now is the time for Persona to make another jump. After 3 games they jumped into the current Dating-Sim style with 3, improved upon it with 4 and then arguably perfected it with 5. Now I loved 5 but after playing it I'm kind of tired of the calendar system. To the point I'm passing on Royal but totally down to play Phantom Strikers.

After 3 games and a new team now's the perfect time to change things up again. A lot of ERA seems to think the new team will play it safe, maybe remake 3 or something but I'm hoping for something more interesting.

Here's What I'd Like To Stay
  • Social links. They fit great with the arcana system and they're just fun. People like their waifus. Maybe Atlus can join the 21st century and offer same-sex choices too.
  • Side-activities. Maybe take a page from Yakuza and turn them into full on mini games that you play for fun instead of increasing dating sim stats.
  • Turn based combat. In 19-fucking-84 Falcom released Dragon Slayer one of the first Action RPGs. Turn based combat was never dated, it was always a choice. A rad choice. Keep it.
  • Down-Time: In between dungeons in 4 and 5 you always had a break between story happening that lets you focus on social links and grinding. I like this and I think it can exist outside of the calendar. Trails of Cold Steel did this where you had set down-time moments to do its version of social links. I think this would be a good idea because it lets players who value that content to enjoy it without the constraints of the time limit. For those who just want to play the main story it lets them skip straight to the good stuff.
Here's What I'd Like Changed
  • The current calendar system. Removing it would do wonders for the pacing and I don't think it's at all a necessary part of the Persona experience. I've never felt limited by the calendar so it's not like it makes the game hard. It makes it harder to 100% it your first time, I guess. In that case I just prioritised what I wanted the most and accepted I couldn't do everything. Does anyone like that? Like specifically replaying the game to get everything? I know i'd prefer to do everything the first time.
  • The battle system. There's a lot more variety in turn-based combat and I feel like the "all out attack" system is a bit boring. Flashy yeah but still boring.
  • The Setting. Yeah it's a classic ERA moment, someone bitching about the school setting in Persona. I'm not against high school, I liked high school, it's just starting to wear thin after 3 games. So i'd like to see perhaps a university setting or work place. If not that then maybe set it in a different country? Maybe the main character is a Japanese transfer student to the US. Could explore racism, maybe? It's a tough task for Atlus but this is "Asking For A Lot: The Thread".
  • Personae. I'd like to see more personae with more unique skills. Instead of just every SMT skill ever. Keep those skills but add some new stuff too. Make the personae feel a bit different from just every SMT demon ever.

What do you think? Disagree with what I said? Agree but got some different ideas? Share them. We had a feedback thread last year but it was a bit muddled and this is more of a discussion aimed thread.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'd also include the removal of homophobic & transphobic bullshit to the "Here's What I'd Like Changed" section.

Not sure about the removal of the calendar, though. It's very much an integral part of Persona's structure, especially now. Maybe it can be more like Three Houses in which you can do a set amount of things each day (which can be expanded as you level up). With that said, I 100% agree in keeping the turn-based combat system.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Turn based combat. In 19-fucking-84 Falcom released Dragon Slayer one of the first Action RPGs. Turn based combat was never dated, it was always a choice. A rad choice. Keep it.

For real. Blows my mind when people complain about it being antiquated.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I hate not really adding much to this thread, but hot damn, the OP hits pretty much everything I want.

I guess I could say I don't necessarily need it to not be in high school, but if it's done well, I'm actually super interested in something like a work-place scenario or a university.

Everything else? Sign me the hell up.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Keep the calendar system or modify it, but absolutely do not remove it. It's an integral part of the franchise and it's what makes it unique (imo) and I quite like it personally.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about the calendar system is that it gives the game a proper sense of time progression. In so many RPGs, Persona 1 and Persona 2 included, the period of time the game takes place during is nebulous. For some, we're supposed to believe that the entirety of its events took place during a single day or something, when that just feels off.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I want the animal mascot to not tell me what I can and can't do god damnit and yes, take it out of high school. Keep the SMT demons in as who you fight instead of shadows.

Above all of this I just want SMT V please god give me SMT V.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The calendar system makes things missable, which I hate. But I understand why people like it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Having the possibility of same sex relationship would be good. If that's a step too far then at least NOT depicting gays as pervy predators would be nice.

Jan 15, 2018
When I read that P5 was originally going to be about a roadtrip, I realized how much I wanted that.

Really hoping the next one is does it. As a huge fan of road movies, it'd be cool to see a game that does it well.

Jan 15, 2018
I'd love them to stop with the homophobic shit. Also, remove the creepy stuff with some/most of the romance options.
And shake up the plot a little, I'm a bit tired of random god trying to fuck everything up due to the collective unconscious.

OP
OP
Velezcora

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The thing about the calendar system is that it gives the game a proper sense of time progression. In so many RPGs, Persona 1 and Persona 2 included, the period of time the game takes place during is nebulous. For some, we're supposed to believe that the entirety of its events took place during a single day or something, when that just feels off.

Good point.
I'd be fine with them splitting the game into month or seasons like chapters. I just want more player autonomy.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Here's an idea, why not have it set in an International School and the main cast be from different countries and backgrounds

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
No persona 6.

Instead just take the casts of 1-5 and do Persona vs. Capcom

OP
OP
Velezcora

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Here's an idea, why not have it set in an International School and the main cast be from different countries and backgrounds

Good idea. This is why I'm not completely against high school setting. I think they could do a fresh new take but if it's just another regular Japanese high school we've already seen that.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with the take it out of high school crowd. Not sure if I'd even purchase the next game if it's the same setting.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Good idea. This is why I'm not completely against high school setting. I think they could do a fresh new take but if it's just another regular Japanese high school we've already seen that.
Yep, if they do the high school setting again it should definetly be a unquie school.

I know this will never happen but why not have the setting be in the past or the future rather then present day.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
My hope for Persona 6 is that during intro with cheesy crap suddenly this happens

SMTIIINocturne-Unused-Animations-48-2.gif

Then Demifiend Freikugels Persona 6 cast and giant NOCTURNE 2 appears.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
  • The calendar. Removing it would do wonders for the pacing and I don't think it's at all a necessary part of the Persona experience. I've never felt limited by the calendar so it's not like it makes the game hard. It makes it harder to 100% it your first time, I guess. In that case I just prioritised what I wanted the most and accepted I couldn't do everything. Does anyone like that? Like specifically replaying the game to get everything? I know i'd prefer to do everything the first time.
  • The battle system. There's a lot more variety in turn-based combat and I feel like the "all out attack" system is a bit

No.

Calendar system is staying.

Persona 5 wasn't just flashy. There were a variety of Abilities that made battling interesting and engaging. Its not just about finding a weakness.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
It'd be cool if they gave me characters I actually care about and a legitimately creepy atmosphere like the first couple of games give off.

Actually just remake Persona 1. I'd be curious to see that in the modern engine and see how well it's received by the series' latest fans.

OP
OP
Velezcora

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
No.

Calendar system is staying.

Yeah I know Atlus isn't dropping that but I don't think it's needed. Why should it stay? I thought about it and I can't think of why it has to stay in its current form. As I said down-time could still be implemented. Do you need the daily 1-2 thing limit?

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Do more to make each non-main character feel truly mechanically distinct instead of just giving them different elemental strengths/weaknesses and slightly different balances of magic offense/physical offense/buff/debuff/healing. More unique passives tied to their social link level (or something) - and ideally not taking up space in their limited Persona ability inventory - would be great.

Give me wandering-around party banter as well written and voice acted as the Dragon Age: Inquisition stuff. No, really, that was the best part of that game.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
If we must keep the calendar system (barf), then I'd at least take a page from Trails of Cold Steel and tie social links to story progression so they don't seem to completely take place in a vacuum and can reflect character development and the main plot.

Also ditch the silent protagonist for the love of god.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I don't hate the calendar and find it effective, but if they can find a different way to simulate a year or so of time with gradual progression I'd be all for it.

I'm also ready to move on from high school, changing the environment and age range would shake up the narrative rhythm of the past few games. Or if it has to be in a school the MC can be a professor for a different perspective and new scenario opportunities.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I know this will never happen but why not have the setting be in the past or the future rather then present day.
But why? Do you actually want this? Even in this day and age, an RPG that takes place in modern day is actually novel. With a lot of the series' conceit being about tackling contemporary issues that people living in the now can relate to, and increasingly so in the era of social media and having "personas" to tackle different social situations, I don't see what a drastic change of time period would achieve.

They already have Project Re Fantasy (fantasy/past) and Catherine (future) for that, anyways.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Persona needs to take notes from Yakuza for its gameplay outside the dungeons. I was very disappointed that Persona 5 didn't really evolve that part of the game at all. Walking up to the burger place and pressing X a few times to go through some dialogue boxes and being done with your evening is just not it. Introduce some more evolved gameplay in this half of the game. Have actual fun activities available. And even when Yakuza does have things that amount to "press X a few times to go through some dialogue boxes", the animations of the characters and the flair of the scene in general are just on an entirely different level than Persona.

The entire social link and social stats gameplay loop could use a serious overhaul. There are just better ways this half of the game can play out than trying to min/max social stats to fit as many social links as you can in. It's not engaging as it currently exists, and you can still keep the actual bonding/social link system with more engaging setups.

Also replace the battle system in dungeons with Tokyo Mirage Sessions'. It's the best SMT-adjacent battle system they've made yet.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
It will 100% be set in high school in Japan and have a calendar system, people like it too much for them to change it.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with the series *just* gaining main-ish-stream appeal in the west I think it would be a bad idea to revamp the series so heavily for the 6th installment. Get rid of the homophobia, get rid of the transphobia, refine the pacing, and you should be good. Save the big changes for the 7th... or at least don't do anything to alienate the fans who came on board starting with 5. Unless getting rid of homophobia and transphobia alienates those fans, in which case those fans can fuck off.

OP
OP
Velezcora

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Just updated the OP to change "calendar" from "current calendar system". I'm not completely against a calendar I just think the current one is too restrictive with no obvious benefit that could not be achieved with a different approach.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I love the calendar system, it gives a nice sense of routine to your play style and ties in with immersion for seasons and holidays. P5 was already built around a second playthrough for a full 100% so I don't think it should be a consideration and I've always questioned the "pacing" concerns since it's meant to be a slower paced game where you relax and take your time, I thought it was paced really well personally.

My main wishes are to take it out of high school for a more adult setting like Catherine and of course more considerate writing.