• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's time we take the kids gloves off of Atlus, what they did today was at best, disappointing.

Treat Atlus the way you would treat Square Enix if they had done this, rip them on social media and make them know you aren't happy about what they're doing.
What did they do? They didn't say be excited for this before hand. This was a "surprise" announcement that people got wind of through leaks and some investigating. Is it their fault people hyped themselves up?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
What did they do? They didn't say be excited for this before hand. This was a "surprise* announcement that people got wind of through leaks and some investigating. Is it their fault people hyped themselves up?
An announcement of an announcement three months from now is something to be disappointed about.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
This post is impressive because I genuinely can't tell if this is a joke post or not. If not, get some help. Y'all are tearing yourselves apart because you get too imaginative with little to no information and listening to people who are not credible. Atlus owes you nothing, and isn't to blame because it's their damn game.
The true enemy part is obviously meant to be ridiculous but I truly think that Atlus feeds this toxic culture with its marketing. You can't blame it all on them obviously, we are who we are, but they could easily chose to be more upfront right away instead of vaguely teasing something 3 months in advance and leaving all the critical info up in the air.

And they're not the only ones doing that either, a lot of japanese developers love those vague teasers that make people talking.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I see this thread is as lovely as the previous one.
Snake was wrong, war never changes.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
One day, ATLUS will announce games coming in the current year instead of hyping up stuff that only exists on paper.

Atlus, at the thought of doing such a thing:
6jd81Qh.png

ItsKipz

Oct 27, 2018
It looks to me as someone who doesn't really care one way or the another that it will be announced for Switch at a Nintendo Direct (probably the January one).

They ain't going to let another company announce it through a YouTube video or tweet lol.
That's fair. As someone who does care (not trying to port-beg i just genuinely don't own a PS4) that's probably what's happening, if not in the January one then in March.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
What did they do? They didn't say be excited for this before hand. This was a "surprise" announcement that people got wind of through leaks and some investigating. Is it their fault people hyped themselves up?

Yes, 100%. They didn't get into this business yesterday, they should know how fan bases behave. What are they looking at that makes them think that an announcement of an announcement is going to get people excited? All they did was frustrate their fans.

The system wars none sense isn't their fault but like i was saying, it could have been avoided if they just waited until March to announce this and tell us what the game is and what platforms its coming to instead of letting the system warriors ....speculate about it.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
An announcement of an announcement three months from now is something to be disappointed about.
I can understand that if they made a big deal about it but this was suppose to come out of no where. There is nothing wrong with saying be excited 3 months from now as long as they didn't get people's hope up for today and they really didn't. We were excited because of the leaks and that's why people got their expectations up. That's not Atlus' fault. Shit Atlus themselves have been guilty of doing that but to me this just isn't the same. But you know, you cant really tell people how to feel about something so I suppose I can only speak for myself when I say it wasn't disappointing.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is getting almost as crazy as when many were convinced on GAF that Person's 5 would end up being a 3DS game pre-announcement, because 3DS was doing hot in Japan and Persona Q.

Everyone just needs to chill and wait until March. Why can't people just be happy that we have more Persons 5 games/projects coming?

NNN

Nov 1, 2017
My first post about this was generally asking why Switch fans asking for
I dont know why you guys always bring up outside ERA stuff to justify a stance ? First it was me portbegging (which i didnt) and now some randoms on twitter ?

People wanted P5 on Switch for ages - this isnt a news flash. I have listend through many podcasts talking about P5 and a potential Switch port, came up like at least half of the time. Yes, we have a "safe pace" on Era guarding fans from the port-beg discussions, that doesnt mean that those wishes arent out there and legit. A Persona maingame getting a portable version later on, shouldnt be a surprise.

I know it may seem that I meant you in pirtuclar when I said port begging but I did not mean you. I meant all Switch fans, which you can find in my first reply in this thread.

So you accused the guy of portbegging, couldn't find evidence of him doing so, and pulled some people on Twitter?

My first reply on this thread was asking why all switch fans were portbegging. OFC I asked after seeing Twitter, YT, this forums etc.. Also, I wasn't accusing anyone of anything, just an observation, I don't like the Switch fans port begging. It makes having actual discussions regarding the game, story, art, music etc.. impossible.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Man we're gonna have those type of discussions until March, aren't we ?
Do we know what the reaction was from Japanese gamers ? I'd be curious to see how it compares to the western side.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's not as uncommon as you think.
There were many people who didn't even know that Monster Hunter World was launching on Xbox One as the entire marketing campaign revolved around the PS4 version.
That's not remotely the same. People not knowing the consoles a game is released on does not mean the game doesn't mention alternative consoles whatsoever.

In the initial reveal they clearly label PS4 and Xbox One. Not at all the same as a trailer opening with the PS4 logo then making no mention of other consoles in the description. Obviously advertising and marketing deals happen all of the time, but even then they don't entirely ignore optional platforms. That would be bad for the developer and the platform holders.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Nah, people hyped up what was always going to be a little teaser at the end of a dumb anime episode. Atlus never hyped this as a big announcement so blame the internet idiots who made this into something it wasn't.

Last edited:

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Yes, 100%. They didn't get into this business yesterday, they should know how fan bases behave. What are they looking at that makes them think that an announcement of an announcement is going to get people excited? All they did was frustrate their fans.

The system wars none sense isn't their fault but like i was saying, it could have been avoided if they just waited until March to announce this and tell us what the game is and what platforms its coming to instead of letting the system warriors ....speculate about it.
It was nothing more than a notification at the end of an anime series to let fans know when they can hear about the next Persona 5 project. Crazy to claim they have a responsibility to not do such things on the grounds that it may leak and a small section of fans lacking in self control may get too excited at the possibility of what it contains.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
No, you know what's cringey? playstation fans threatening to shove persona figurines in their butt if Persona 5 comes to Switch. THAT'S cringey.

Stop this bullshit.

The poster you keep associating with "PS fans" has a tag "Uncle at Nintendo" and a quick look at his posting history indicates he frequents Nintendo threads more than Sony. I don't know if he is a Sony fanboy or not but surly I'm not gonna assume he is from that post.

You keep repeating that phrase to paint the PS fans in this forum in bad picture.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Pretty much. It's impossible to talk about the actual game at this point without begging for a Switch port.
Official Staff Communication
Let's try this again. This is not a thread to drag people for leaked info that may or may not be correct. Until we get more details, speculating on the nature of the games and their possible multiplatform status is not portbegging. Anyone derailing the thread with attacks on other members for past predictions, or with accusations of portbegging, will be actioned. As per the terms of service, no console wars posts.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a PS4 and Switch and I beat P5 already. I am flat out not buying P5R on PS4 if it ends up being exclusive. I'm not going through that slog again to get to the new content, or whatever the heck it ends up being, as a TV game.

I have more tolerance for this type of game on a handheld, which is probably why I hold P4G in such high regard compared to P5.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing with this possibly coming as dlc/expansion is that it wouldn't really function like normal dlc/expansion imo. Golden had loads of content interwieved over the course of the game and even changes certain story beats as a result, so if like that again, it can't really use old save files and the like, I imagine.

It's possible that they'd add a menu option at the beginning like selecting the base or "R" version when you start up a new game. However, I'm leaning more towards a full rerelease of it as opposed to dlc especially since the game will likely be at least 2.5 years old by the whatever this is comes out, so it'd likely be fairly substantial if an enhanced version.

If it is "just" an enhanced version, and if it's limited to PS4, I really need to see how much new stuff is there before buying. I've already went through the game twice on PS4 and loved it, but I'm not sure if I'd want to pay full price to go through it again when I already have the game essentially.

That is if this actually does end up being an enhanced release instead of P5 Racing.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Just to be clear here:

We allow members to speculate on or express interest in platforms where the full range of platforms has yet to be confirmed. An announcement that does not include platforms cannot be portbegged because no platforms are confirmed.

In threads where the platforms are confirmed, portbegging rules apply, and people receive warnings for discussing off-topic platforms.

Since today's news is an announcement for more information in March, we cannot say all the information is available, so people can still discuss platforms that have not been announced until we know for sure.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
So, the implication of the teaser seems to be that whatever the projects are, they're gonna be at the very least on PS4. Now this isn't to say the projects are gonna be exclusive, could just be Sony getting prioritized marketing (which has happened a lot this gen) for example. We'll know more in March I suppose.

As for the actual projects, a new Arena style game + an enhanced version of P5 (a la P4Golden) seem very likely, not sure what more they could do tbh. The dancing game is already announced (and released?) so that's not it either.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
My first post about this was generally asking why Switch fans asking for

I know it may seem that I meant you in pirtuclar when I said port begging but I did not mean you. I meant all Switch fans, which you can find in my first reply in this thread.
For my part i will end this discussion on a positive note - in real life we would be probably happy to see another person, interested in a series we love like Persona. No one would give a damn if Person X would prefer to play it on Plattform Y...as long as you could talk with said person about the gameplay, story and characters while sharing stories.

Only online, in these threads we regress to that kind of mindset when it comes to announcements which is hilarious to me. Especially in this case, where it seems like Atlus will make sure that they have their main bases covered. 1) The people that supported them by buying P5 on PS4 and 2) the people that came in contact with the series through its portable adaptions hoping for a Switch release.

I wont even adress the plattform for the P5 projects anymore - im more interested to see what we are actually getting for products. We dont even know what we are getting at this point.

Edit:

As someone who thought the portbegging rules werent really needed - seeing how this and the last thread have been progressing, i understand more why there are in place. There are just too many users interested in triggering whatever side they feel deserves it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
That's not remotely the same. People not knowing the consoles a game is released on does not mean the game doesn't mention alternative consoles whatsoever.

In the initial reveal they clearly label PS4 and Xbox One. Not at all the same as a trailer opening with the PS4 logo then making no mention of other consoles in the description. Obviously advertising and marketing deals happen all of the time, but even then they don't entirely ignore optional platforms. That would be bad for the developer and the platform holders.

The initial reveal of Monster Hunter World was in Sony's E3 conference with obviously no mention of XBOX.

Same thing happened with the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection.

Same thing happened with Crash Racing at the Game Awards.

Same thing happened with Samurai Shodown/Spirits.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I still can easily see it getting announced for Switch alongside Joker's gameplay reveal for Smash in a March direct.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
It was nothing more than a notification at the end of an anime series to let fans know when they can hear about the next Persona 5 project. Crazy to claim they have a responsibility to not do such things on the grounds that it may leak and a small section of fans lacking in self control may get too excited at the possibility of what it contains.

actually the final episode of the anime doesn't air until March, which is super funny because there was already a three month gap between the regular broadcasting schedule of persona 5 and Dark Sun.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
The trailer clearly states multiple projects within a single announcement with the Playstation logo.
It's not multiple projects on different platforms.
Seems like some hopes have been crushed at least for now.

NNN

Nov 1, 2017
For my part i will end this discussion on a positive note - in real life we would be probably happy to see another person, interested in a series we love like Persona. No one would give a damn if Person X would prefer to play it on Plattform Y...as long as you could talk with said person about the gameplay, story and characters while sharing stories.

My point exactly, if we can talk more about the story, characters, gameplay, possible way they could alter/enhance the story etc.. instead of talking about if it's coming to XYZ console (pretty much in every post thus far), the discussion would be ten times healthier and more fun.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
If mods are allowing talk, than most likely its going multi-platform. Whether it be Switch, 3DS or Xbox One, who knows. PS4 got first dibs like usual. Also I don't see "only on PS4"exclusivity. My guess is Sony will get to showcase the game first and it'll also release in other platforms. That Atlus is making us wait till March, means all we can do is speculate and keep up rumours.

Edit: at least we got some P5R news.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The initial reveal of Monster Hunter World was in Sony's E3 conference with obviously no mention of XBOX.

Same thing happened with the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection.

Same thing happened with Crash Racing at the Game Awards.

Same thing happened with Samurai Shodown/Spirits.
Again, as I said in the beginning, that isn't the same. I'm referring to trailers released on the OFFICIAL channels for these developers. EA doesn't just release a trailer that says "PS4" and nothing else when dropping a trailer on their channel. Obviously Sony will only put Playstation when uploading a trailer to their channel, but the inverse is never the case to my knowledge.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Again, as I said in the beginning, that isn't the same. I'm referring to trailers released on the OFFICIAL channels for these developers. EA doesn't just release a trailer that says "PS4" and nothing else when dropping a trailer on their channel. Obviously Sony will only put Playstation when uploading a trailer to their channel, but the inverse is never the case to my knowledge.

EDIT: It's in the description, yes, but considering this is a trailer for multiple projects which could potentially be at varying levels of exclusivity it makes sense for that to not be here.

twisted heart

Oct 25, 2017
If mods are allowing talk, than most likely its going multi-platform. Whether it be Switch, 3DS or Xbox One, who knows. PS4 got first dibs like usual. Also I don't see "only on PS4"exclusivity. My guess is Sony will get to showcase the game first and it'll also release in other platforms. That Atlus is making us wait till March, means all we can do is speculate and keep up rumours.
the mods have allowed talk of rumors that have been false before this is no different.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

EDIT: It's in the description, yes, but considering this is a trailer for multiple projects which could potentially be at varying levels of exclusivity it makes sense for that to not be here.

We're really just going in circles at this point which I guess just shows how futile this is anyway. But I also said already how they put the other consoles in the description. No dev is going to just entirely ignore half or a third of their market just cause.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The game, even still not formally announced, has great visibility.
And later on they'll announce a switch exclusive (like SMT 5) and all the currently pissed off switch disappointed warriors will be back in full "ATLUS is right" mindset.

Console war as a marketing tool. It works as long as you feed both sides.

But that gives us the sad comedy of today's thread which makes me question why I love video games when there is so much stupidity around this medium.

I personnally think p5 is indeed coming to Switch, but I'm tired in advance of these weeks of fake and dumb "suspense"

when any game company is this obtuse with their marketing it leaves too much open to interpretation and people fill in the gaps themselves. i personally have zero interest in console war discussion (if you can even call it that) and am more interested in things like.. what were they thinking doing this with a trailer and not even giving us a full name or inclination of what it actually is lol

Plum

May 31, 2018
We're really just going in circles at this point which I guess just shows how futile this is anyway. But I also said already how they put the other consoles in the description. No dev is going to just entirely ignore half or a third of their market just cause.

See my edit. It's in the description because that trailer is for a singular game that had, at that point, been officially revealed. P5R at this moment has not been officially revealed and isn't even a single game. All we can assume from the PS Logo is that 1) Sony has a marketing deal and 2) All 'P5R' projects will come to a Sony console; it doesn't say anything about Playstation exclusivity or imply that ATLUS is ignoring parts of their audience.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much. It's impossible to talk about the actual game at this point without begging for a Switch port.

No one is stopping you from talking about the game(s) though???

There is nothing from that teaser to actually discuss though besides the projects will be on playstation systems.

So I'm not sure what you're actually complaining about.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
See my edit. It's in the description because that trailer is for a singular game that had, at that point, been officially revealed. P5R at this moment has not been officially revealed and isn't even a single game. All we can assume from the PS Logo is that 1) Sony has a marketing deal and 2) All 'P5R' projects will come to a Sony console; it doesn't say anything about Playstation exclusivity or imply that ATLUS is ignoring parts of their audience.
Lol that's just semantics. But my point was never to say that it's impossible. I still would love for it to come to Switch as that's my preferred option for long JRPGs nowadays. My point is that to my knowledge no other game has had entirely nothing on its alternative consoles when uploaded to the official dev's channel.