• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you want Persona 5: The Royal to be?

• Standalone scenario like Torna

Votes: 388 24.7%
  • Expanded re-release + new scenario

Votes: 729 46.4%
  • FeMC route like P3P

Votes: 455 28.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
oh wow the translation is really intriguing, I hope there's some new scenario involving her as a playable character

Yeah, if all this is just for an added arcana ... it'd be kind of a disappointment.

But this is being listed as an "RPG" and not DLC or add on content, so I'm hopeful its either a full separate stand alone release, or a straight up P3 Portable with MC and FeMC.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I am so confused. I picked up P5 a little bit ago, but haven't played it much yet. Do I just wait until more info drops? I probably won't do multiple playthroughs because of my backlog, just wondering if I should wait until the new version drops.

If you're actively enjoying it and playing it, I'd say keep going. I played Persona 5 for the first time starting November 2018, finishing in Feb 2019, and I had a blast. I figure...

1) Atlus isn't known for being fast or for doing fast localizations. Fastest we could possibly get this in English would be end of the year, but I think 2020 is more likely.
2) If Persona 5 Royale is a standalone expansion (like the post-game scenario in Persona 3: FES) or is a major remix/remake to the point of feeling like a new game (like SMT4 Apocalypse), then a year or so after beating Persona 5, I could definitely see myself not feeling burnt on playing through Persona 5 (it's really long) and would be in the mood for playing new content.
3) If Persona 5 Royale isn't a major remix/remake of Persona 5, but is just Persona 5 with some enhancements and an extra dungeon/character (like Persona 4 Golden), then I'll be glad that I didn't wait to play it when I wanted to play it now, and I can always get it in on sale when I'm in the mood to replay the game whether that's immediately when it comes out or years later in a sale.

If you're not actively playing it and enjoying it, then I'd say wait and see if the new game changes your mind.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
It is too fast too assume it is a standalone game. We are talking about atlus here, most likely it will be a dlc and repackage

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It is too fast too assume it is a standalone game. We are talking about atlus here, most likely it will be a dlc and repackage

The game came out 2.5 years ago in Japan. 3 years to make a SMT4 Apocalypse style game where they heavily reuse the previous games assets to make a new game would hardly be unheard of. Like an alternate reality If scenario where the Phantom Thieves are the villains & the new FeMC teams up with Akechi & others to fight back could work.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game came out 2.5 years ago in Japan. 3 years to make a SMT4 Apocalypse style game where they heavily reuse the previous games assets to make a new game would hardly be unheard of. Like an alternate reality If scenario where the Phantom Thieves are the villains & the new FeMC teams up with Akechi & others to fight back could work.
It would kind of suck to have all the characters you like be the villains now tho...

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
It would kind of suck to have all the characters you like be the villains now tho...
Yeah... plus the Phantom Thieves are meant to be heroes providing a voice for a downtrodden generation. I feel like it severely undercuts the power of Persona 5's message if they decide to portray the Phantom Thieves as villains.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what they do with this new girl. My first guess is that she will become friends with the Phantom Thieves eventually, somehow. But who knows, maybe they'll do something different.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... plus the Phantom Thieves are meant to be heroes providing a voice for a downtrodden generation. I feel like it severely undercuts the power of Persona 5's message if they decide to portray the Phantom Thieves as villains.
The intention behind the Phantom Thieves' morality in Persona 5 itself was designed to be ambiguous. Their goals were right, but the means were always put into question. This is a duality Hashino wanted to highlight, and it's definitely something that has room to explore that wasn't in the original game. This trailer once again puts that into question: is forcing someone to change actually helping society? Is that justice?

Portraying them as antagonists isn't necessarily portraying them as villains. It could be like Golden Sun > Golden Sun: The Lost Ages, where two opposing parties are actually fighting for the same cause, but in different ways.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The intention behind the Phantom Thieves' morality in Persona 5 itself was designed to be ambiguous. Their goals were right, but the means were always put into question. This is a duality Hashino wanted to highlight, and it's definitely something that has room to explore that wasn't in the original game. This trailer once again puts that into question: is forcing someone to change actually helping society? Is that justice?

Portraying them as antagonists isn't necessarily portraying them as villains. It could be like Golden Sun > Golden Sun: The Lost Ages, where two opposing parties are actually fighting for the same cause, but in different ways.
Oh, did Hashino say their morality is meant to be ambiguous? That wasn't how I read the story at all. I read the story as being about the importance of sticking to your personal ideal of justice, despite society's attempts to sabotage you and make you question yourself. About keeping your courage in the face of the cynical masses.

Well, regardless of the author's intent, I think I prefer my own interpretation of the story. I personally don't see the need to examine the Phantom Thieves as villains. But I won't write off the idea completely. Maybe they could surprise me and make that interesting.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, did Hashino say their morality is meant to be ambiguous? That wasn't how I read the story at all. I read the story as being about the importance of sticking to your personal ideal of justice, despite society's attempts to sabotage you and make you question yourself. About keeping your courage in the face of the cynical masses.

Besides all the public opinion stuff in the game (are the Phantom Thieves just?), there are several moments in the game where the actual Phantom Thieves discuss if what they're doing is actually right or if they've made a mistake.

Anyway, there are many ways they could handle a Phantom Thieves as antagonists story. They could have it take place during Persona 5 and have you eventually team up with the Phantom Thieves. Personally, I think it'd be fun if they had it take place after one of the bad endings in Persona 5 (and in such a case, you might still be able to team up with individual members of the Phantom Thieves depending on how things turned out - maybe one of them disagrees with what the group did or maybe you can convince somebody of their error).

The fact that this is coming out on a platform that already received the regular game makes me think this isn't going to be a Persona 4 Golden scenario where they add an extra dungeon & character and make some general gameplay improvements and call it good, simply because I don't think a lot of people are going to be willing to pay $60 for something like that (and I don't see Atlus selling it as DLC since that's now how they work). I'm thinking we're getting an expansion pack worth of new content like The Answer, an outright new game that is directly connected to P5 (whether it's a sequel, an alternate reality take, or takes place simultaneously but follows a different group of characters), or a FeMC option that changes things up a bunch (like you pick FeMC and Haru is the first character to join up).

Last edited:

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Besides all the public opinion stuff in the game (are the Phantom Thieves just?), there are several moments in the game where the actual Phantom Thieves discuss if what they're doing is actually right or if they've made a mistake.

Anyway, there are many ways they could handle a Phantom Thieves as antagonists story. They could have it take place during Persona 5 and have you eventually team up with the Phantom Thieves. Personally, I think it'd be fun if they had it take place after one of the bad endings in Persona 5 (and in such a case, you might still be able to team up with individual members of the Phantom Thieves depending on how things turned out - maybe one of them disagrees with what the group did or maybe you can convince somebody of their error).

Personally I rarely like when a continuation spans a bad ending, makes the journey feel pointless. I feel like they *can* do it, but I dont think I would *want* them to do it. P5 frames them as shadowy and explores the method being dubious a little (would have liked to see more of that, but it was a long game, I dunno how time factored), but they are never seen as desiring some evil. They were always trying to do the right thing in the end. So if they did have the characters been seen as evil it kind of takes me out of it because we know they arent and if it is stemming from the bad ending they arent the "real" versions of those characters.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Well, regardless of the author's intent, I think I prefer my own interpretation of the story. I personally don't see the need to examine the Phantom Thieves as villains. But I won't write off the idea completely. Maybe they could surprise me and make that interesting.
Yes.
Persona 5's story explores the notion of Phantom Thieves "punishing bad adults." As the story progresses, however, the characters—and the player with them, hopefully—begin to wonder, "Who are we to punish these people?" "What, exactly, drives adults to dark desires?" We wanted to leave these moral implications open to player interpretation, without presenting clear answers. That's one of the biggest things that motivated us while working on Persona 5.
The game itself presents this dichotomy quite explicitly. Multiple times, the Phantom Thieves wonder if what they're doing is the right thing. It all starts off with Joker and Ryuji hesitating because they don't think they should change Kamoshida's mind forcefully (and also the risk of killing him), but they decide to go ahead because there is no other choice.

What this trailer is showing is the other side of the coin for the theme that was explored in Persona 5.

The main brunt of the theme was activism. What this could represent is another way of achieving this. Like, the Investigation Team in Persona 4 were really about what this trailer is conveying, while the Phantom Thieves were about a more aggressive approach.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

Why Lupinranger Feat. Patranger didn't have moment like this ?

The Show pretty much is Steal is Right Justice is Bad.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017

Their methods are questioned multiple times throughout the game, even by themselves. Obviously they managed to free the people who were being oppressed by the villains so the end justifies the means, but forcing your way into someone's mind to cause that change, especially when there' s a risk of killing that person, is obviously not an ideal solution from a moral point of view. I think that's obvious.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New character teaming up with Akechi would be the dumbest shit.

Unfortunately that's exactly what I'm expecting will happen if only to appease his undeservedly huge fanbase.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be alright with this side story idea as long as the two groups join up in the end. Pull a Golden Sun the Lost Age.

Though I'm still just hoping for a traditional FeMC myself.

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
So she is the one who will assist Akechi after
he decides to "sacrifice" himself.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
My guess is that this will be a Persona 4 Golden situation. It won't be DLC, it will be a stand-alone game. It will include some QoL features and new mechanics. Nothing absolutely crazy, bit they will expand the experience and make it better. The girl, I don't know if she will be the FMC like P3P, or a new character like Marie. My guess is the latter.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User banned (24 hours): Port-begging, ignoring a moderator post.
the cant just reveal this game, cant they

switch version would be day 1 buy

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

This is how I read it too. "Rebel against society" and shit, though there was always the nagging feeling that this power shouldnt actually be held by everyone and you could fuck up very fast like
Akechi

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Spoilers for Persona 5 ahead

So, it's looking more and more likely that the game will have some focus on Akechi (unfortunately)

Persona OA, a mobile app in japan, released some brand new Akechi PT artwork a few days ago before pulling it and replacing it today with his old artwork. No doubt this was supposed to be shown off AFTER the full P5R reveal.

Here's the new art
Roiv5gEg.png

And here is what they replaced it with
D2rOhUwXcAAexWZ.jpg

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So, it's looking more and more likely that this is an Akechi based game (unfortunately)

Persona OA, a mobile app in japan, released some brand new Akechi PT artwork a few days ago before pulling it and replacing it today with his old artwork. No doubt this was supposed to be shown off AFTER the full P5R reveal.

Here's the new art
Roiv5gEg.png

D2rOhUwXcAAexWZ.jpg

These were found by @regularpanties on twitter

I'm legitimately expecting that his murder of Futaba's mother and Haru's dad gets retconned out.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So, it's looking more and more likely that this is an Akechi based game (unfortunately)

Here's the new art
Roiv5gEg.png

D2rOhUwXcAAexWZ.jpg

If this is a standalone title like people are suggesting, Im getting increasingly worried

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Here's the new art
Roiv5gEg.png

D2rOhUwXcAAexWZ.jpg

Fuck. Well, I'm out.

Oct 25, 2017
Just from the teaser seemed pretty clear that Akechi would have more focus.

Makes sense when the new character also opposes the Phantom Thieves, would expect the two of them to be paired up for a bit.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Here's the new art
Roiv5gEg.png

D2rOhUwXcAAexWZ.jpg

This actually makes sense, wasn't he set up as the ying to Ren's yang? If this game is a SMT4a style it could be the game's events from his side of the world. That would also explain the new character. He'd obviously need a team as well.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
All I want is a Golden like treatment of the game. Add more challenge, add more fun side stuff and events, actually make the class trip to Hawaii a real fun trip, a LOT more party interactions to help define the friendship in the group, bring in Haru as a party member a LOT earlier, maybe even add the the cut Shogi girl as a party member as well. No thanks to a stand-alone game, and definitely not an Akechi game. Dude is a scummer through and through...

But unfortunately this is Atlus and Akechi is super popular...oh boy.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

Here's the new art
Roiv5gEg.png

D2rOhUwXcAAexWZ.jpg

That is so stupid that I want it to be this so I can know what they came up with that made them think this was a good idea. I will be legit disappointed if it's just something like Golden now.

Now that I think about it some more, it may still be FeMC. But she's on Akechi's side with him as a romancable character. That seems like something they'd do considering his popularity. Are any of the other guys popular as love interests?

Last edited:

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
If this is an Akechi based game, I'm actually out, unless they totally rewrite his character and retcon a bunch. His character is completely irredeemable as is. He's a murderer, after all...

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is so stupid that I want it to be this so I can know what they came up with that made them think this was a good idea. I will be legit disappointed if it's just something like Golden now.

Now that I think about it some more, it may still be FeMC. But she's on Akechi's side with him as a romancable character. That seems like something they'd do considering his popularity. Are any of the other guys popular as love interests?
Most of them are actually. Yusuke in particular but Ryuji has fans too.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I don't think the revealed character is FeMC, She's wearing a 3rd year outfit and in the reveal she's talking about opposing the phantom thieves?

Status
Not open for further replies.