• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you want Persona 5: The Royal to be?

• Standalone scenario like Torna

Votes: 388 24.7%
  • Expanded re-release + new scenario

Votes: 729 46.4%
  • FeMC route like P3P

Votes: 455 28.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2018
Who is this game for? I finished Persona 5 not too long ago with around 180 hours and I don't know why I should buy the same game and start the 180 hours adventure from scratch again just to see some upgraded content. Especially when I have New Game Plus waiting for me in P5.

It better be a completely new/alternative story.

Oh, and it better runs in 60fps, then it would be a no brainer for me. P5 running and looking the same on PS3 and PS4 was plain nonsense.

I agree with you. Add HDR or something at the least

Better be some alternate take on the main story as well, doesn't have to be totally new story, but maybe certain events can be changed, and some characters can join earlier. Would make the ending have more weight

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Wow, I m out of the gaming loop. I didn't even realize they announced a new console persona game!!! P5 was one of my most memorable experience I had this gen. Hopefully they can make this one more memorable and make it have more legs in that I can come back to it over and over again.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it'll be a new game like SMTIV Apocalypse was, but that would be neat for sure! I'll be happy with it in general, since I really enjoyed it, but I do hope they adjust the weird homophobia a little bit. It was out of nowhere in the scenes it happened during.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Her design is very female P5 protagonist, but if her dialogue is supposed to be in game then that's clearly not the case.

Marie is trash and made Golden worse, so here's hoping they do better if this is a character in the same role

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
When thinking about tarot cards, the Minor and the Major Arcana always come to mind. But rarely, someone thinks about the Royal Arcana, one of the most exclusive clubs. The reality is there is no official term "Royal Arcana", but it is a club consisted of the four court cards of each suit. The club is elusive, and people very often think how to present the Royal Arcana cards.

Why is the club Exclusive?

The Royal Arcana has few characteristics no other card in the tarot has.

1. The cards can put reference to people in many levels, including the past, present and future. Often, people that are no longer present in this world appear in the Royal Arcana (deceased family members and friends). Natural medium people are bound for such an experience.
  2. The Royal Arcana cards can point to real people present in our life, and to our own internal behavior as well. Their double meaning, external and internal, is what makes them special.
  3. The cards are like a living chameleon, changing their reading and meaning accordingly to the context of the queen.

Just got it from google, and royal arcana is literally a thing. I wonder if it is coincidence or there will be new set of exclusive arcana. If it is s coincidence, well... i must say.. what a coincidence

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Can we maybe shorten the thread title so that people don't accidentally gloss over the "(see staff post)" bit?

Anyway, given the current info I'd prefer this to be a new standalone scenario.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If there were two factions and she was against the Phantom Thieves, I'd totally be on the Phantom Thieves' side. If she's the one talking, it's like she's a character with the Persona 4 philosophy entering Persona 5's world.

Also makes me more interested in seeing how that kind of moral conflict is handled in PQ2, if at all.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Err. Not sure if you are kidding but it sounds disturbing. In my country that kind of relationship could make you end up in jail

I didn't know how old was the FeMC (or new female character rather) when I posted that, but I assumed it was the same age as Joker, which is legal in my country.

The game features a romance with a teacher that I found more disturbing already.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Can we maybe shorten the thread title so that people don't accidentally gloss over the "(see staff post)" bit?

Anyway, given the current info I'd prefer this to be a new standalone scenario.

At the least its wierd that the full "Sony PlayStation 4" name is spelled out in the title. I think we can take those 500 words and shorten them to simply "PS4." Fair to say a website of video game enthusiasts will know those initials.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
Not sure if pointed out already but P4G in Japan was called Persona 4 The Golden. So most likely it'll just be called P5 Royal in the west. Maybe that has implications on what this could be?

610zOwWXp2L._AC_SX215_.jpg

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They better make the additional content as DLC. FES had the excuse of being released at a time where DLC wasn't a thing. Golden had the excuse of releasing on a different console. What's Royal's excuse?

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if pointed out already but P4G in Japan was called Persona 4 The Golden. So most likely it'll just be called P5 Royal in the west. Maybe that has implications on what this could be?

610zOwWXp2L._AC_SX215_.jpg
That would make more sense, Persona 5 the Royal just doesn't roll off the tongue nicely.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Says who? Atlus knows that was a major complaint. If they had any decency, they would announce that they've worked on including positive examples of diversity in the update of their game. And the original poster of that comment got my and several other peoples' hopes up that they might have done that. So it's not cool to use sarcasm in that instance.

Says... logic? It's an announcement after an anime, in Japan. They're not going to be like "new announcement, but also hey people who culturally treat gay people like shit and no one cares, we will have less disgusting content towards homosexuals now." The only hope you or I have about this is that Hashino is working on other projects so maybe the next Persona game will treat it with some tact.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
If there were two factions and she was against the Phantom Thieves, I'd totally be on the Phantom Thieves' side. If she's the one talking, it's like she's a character with the Persona 4 philosophy entering Persona 5's world.

Also makes me more interested in seeing how that kind of moral conflict is handled in PQ2, if at all.
I'd be on her side if we get to beat Morgana and Ryuji.
They better make the additional content as DLC. FES had the excuse of being released at a time where DLC wasn't a thing. Golden had the excuse of releasing on a different console. What's Royal's excuse?
It's Atlus.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Don't get your hopes up. SMT4a was a "new" game that reused all the old assets from SMT4 and was released at full price (which oddly enough was $10 more than the standard 3ds game)

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I cant think of this character as anything less than a new protagonist, at least the protag of a torna-like expansion.

She's dressed plainly like a protag
She has a smash datamine which basically says she fights the exact same as Joker (I assume her Persona is an Arsene variant)
She the central focus of marketing and so shes *the* thing of this new version
All major Arcana are taken and she doesnt fit with the Aeon trope of "person unfamiliar with the world finding their place"

The only things that dont fit are the dialogue and that shes a first year, however both can be explained through it being a Torna-like expansion and having a different scenario.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
All major Arcana are taken
Well apparently Royal Arcana is a thing:
When thinking about tarot cards, the Minor and the Major Arcana always come to mind. But rarely, someone thinks about the Royal Arcana, one of the most exclusive clubs. The reality is there is no official term "Royal Arcana", but it is a club consisted of the four court cards of each suit. The club is elusive, and people very often think how to present the Royal Arcana cards.

Why is the club Exclusive?

The Royal Arcana has few characteristics no other card in the tarot has.

1. The cards can put reference to people in many levels, including the past, present and future. Often, people that are no longer present in this world appear in the Royal Arcana (deceased family members and friends). Natural medium people are bound for such an experience.
  2. The Royal Arcana cards can point to real people present in our life, and to our own internal behavior as well. Their double meaning, external and internal, is what makes them special.
  3. The cards are like a living chameleon, changing their reading and meaning accordingly to the context of the queen.
Just got it from google, and royal arcana is literally a thing. I wonder if it is coincidence or there will be new set of exclusive arcana. If it is s coincidence, well... i must say.. what a coincidence

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Ignoring Staff Post
Jason schreier was on kinda funny gamescast this week and said he was Skeptical that persona 5 would be released on switch. It wasn't a sure thing ( he didn't want to say one way or the other) but his educated guess was no.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Well apparently Royal Arcana is a thing:
:thinking:

I she a ghost or something? Thats why she doesnt have an umbrella?
Jason schreier was on kinda funny gamescast this week and said he was Skeptical that persona 5 would be released on switch. It wasn't a sure thing ( he didn't want to say one way or the other) but his educated guess was no.
I wouldnt agree with this since P5S is a thing.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
didnt he say he didnt have many sources pertaining to Atlus, but he had heard rumblings of a switch version before?

edit: Ya, this is what he said before when the P5R news was first going down.
I don't have any inside information here (although I did hear from one source about this a little while ago who didn't know the platforms but thought a Switch release was likely), but the teaser just having a PlayStation logo doesn't mean it's PlayStation-exclusive.

In fact, it'd make a lot more sense for Nintendo to want to reserve Persona 5's Switch announcement for a Nintendo Direct, given how much success they had with the surprise reveal of Joker in Smash.

I dunno his exact quote from that podcast so maybe something changed

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
didnt he say he didnt have many sources pertaining to Atlus, but he had heard rumblings of a switch version before?

His exact quote when Greg said wouldn't persona 5 on switch be good was " I don't know about that one. That one if you asked me where i'm leaning, I can't say with a 100% certainty but based on the things i've heard I would say no"

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Eh, I would't take Jason's word as gospel. It might not be in development right now but if Atlus wants to put Persona 5 on a portable device Switch is the only option they have. So... Atlus would be stupid not to. Plus Nintendo wanted Joker in Smash which means Nintendo probably wants Persona 5 on Switch and if Nintendo wants it... think Atlus is gonna say "no persona is only on playstation. We would never change platform brands for a major series... ever... totally never... ever... happened."

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017

https://youtu.be/No7WfTgy9Gg?t=6108

Even as they were asking the question, the look on Jason's face says it all. Not that bringing up the Modern Warfare 2 campaign as confirmation afterwards, but Jason definitely does not have high hopes for a Switch version of Persona 5. This segment lasts about a minute long.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 doesn't have a set year it takes place in, all we know is that Rise is in her twenties now. She could easily be 15 and entering as a first year.
we know it takes place in 2016

The game takes place in 20XX, however, it can be inferred that it takes place in 2016 because Rise Kujikawa, a character who is 15 in Persona 4, which is set in 2011, makes an appearance in Persona 5 at the age of 20. This is supported by the in-game calendar matching the actual 2016 calendar.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't specifically mention she's 20, right? Just a line going like "since she hit 20" which could be anywhere in her 20s.
The implication is that 20 is her current age, they wouldnt say some arbitrary younger age when she has been doing this for a long time. Then the calendar matching agrees with this

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly Atlus took a page from Fire Emblem's book and Nanako suffered accelerated aging in the Midnight Channel.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
REMINDER:

Official Staff Communication
Let's cut out all the cross-talk about a Switch release, please. This thread is for the PlayStation announcement and there are numerous other Nintendo threads where you can discuss the likelihood of a Switch version. Thank you.

Just because it's been a few days doesn't mean this doesn't still apply.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we still don't know what it is, but if you're expecting them to make dungeons shorter then you're out of luck (although I suppose making them easier so your SP goes further isn't off the table)
I think the best we can expect is just the rebalancing of enemies for each dungeon (different stats/weaknesses/skills). At the very least the enemies in palaces 4/5 would be a little less punishing, though I wouldnt mind if they kept 4 the way it is just because it works so thematically well. I have no excuse for 5 though

Oct 25, 2017
If anything rebalancing needs to make enemies in the last couple of dungeons harder. Difficulty starts to drop off after 4 and the last few bosses are way too easy, especially compared to earlier ones. And nerf SP recovery items.

But knowing Atlus and rereleases, they'd just add a bunch more skills/mechanics and not bother to adjust the balance around that.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Ignoring Staff Post. Don't talk about Switch in this thread.
I hope they adjust some scebes but I dont really expect them to remove anything or change hie the story plays out. Im expecting to get Persona 5 with all its flaws just new content.
There will be no project called "Persona 5 Switch." That is a certainty.
Not Persona 5 Switch, Persona 5 Special or just Persona 5 S like DQ11 S

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I am so confused. I picked up P5 a little bit ago, but haven't played it much yet. Do I just wait until more info drops? I probably won't do multiple playthroughs because of my backlog, just wondering if I should wait until the new version drops.

Feb 21, 2019
Im down for move persona 5, but there is no way Im playing through the 90 hour campaign again. I hope to be able just to pick up where the new senario starts.

For that....Id pay 60 bucks for. I dig Persona 5, but just don't have that much time.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
oh wow the translation is really intriguing, I hope there's some new scenario involving her as a playable character

Status
Not open for further replies.