• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you want Persona 5: The Royal to be?

• Standalone scenario like Torna

Votes: 388 24.7%
  • Expanded re-release + new scenario

Votes: 729 46.4%
  • FeMC route like P3P

Votes: 455 28.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
They better overhaul how persona's stats are distributed during a level up. I don't want to use a guide and hours of my time trying to make sure my stando isn't wack

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Megaton! I hope this sells very well for them. Interested to see if they make any graphical improvements now this is ps4 only and not on ps3. Nothing to hold it back.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't followed P3P or P4 The Golden closely, so I don't know how stuff like this was handled in the past, but inserting a new (playable? as in party member) character into the story would change the game on a fundemantal level, at least from a story perspective?
P3P's scenario was reworked because it actually had a FeMC version of the original story. Marie wasn't playable in P4G, but was retrofitted to be significant to the story (and proved to be fairly divisive).

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching the trailer, I noticed the characters are wearing clothing that would appear to be in Fall or Spring. It doesn't look like she's wearing the Shujin summer uniform. It could be the winter uniform but I'm not familiar enough with Japan's winters to know what attire people usually wear. It's also raining; not snowing.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yo that idea sounds so clean. I really hope it is something like this now. Imagine if this were an Eternal Punishment like game where the perspective is from a different group with some crossover from the original cast in the manner that you proposed. The idea alone is tantalizing.
Yeah, sounds dope.

The game would have to do a good job of explaining how they fit into all the major events of P5 though. Dunno if P Studio are gonna take the risk.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah a bunch of consoles sold but software was pretty much dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_in_video_gaming

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_in_video_gaming

Go through that list and count up the new PS2 releases that were still hitting shelves in 2008, and the new PS3 releases still hitting shelves in 2019.

The PS2 was still an actively developed for platform- it was targeting casual gamers, younger gamers, and got a LOT of PSP and Wii ports, but that's expected for a platform that old. The PS3 in contrast is completely, utterly, and TOTALLY dead. There is zero new software for it in 2019, casual or otherwise.

they're not comparable.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
yep that's definitely a female protagonist tease. I wonder what this is tho? My assumption watching this is that the person narrating is the FeMc, and she doesn't seem to be a member of the phantom thieves based on what she's saying, which is what makes me think this is not just "Person 5 but with a female protagonist option".

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (24 hours): Port-begging, ignoring a moderator post.
I'm gonna say the conversation in the trailer sounds super familiar. It reminds of a conversation you have with Akechi at Le Blanc, he asks you what you think of the Phantom Thieves and you can '"lie" to him. Her design echoes the main character, usually important side characters aren't just dressed up in their uniform. I guess her being a first-year could debunk that she's the MC.

Also no Switch would be a huge misstep. People freaked out over your character being in Smash, your fans are asking for it, and the system is selling crazy in Japan and the rest of the world. I still bet it is coming.

But it also could be not because Atlus are backwards af and decided that releasing a Vita port of Catherine and making a huge RPG solely for the 3DS in 2018/2019 were great ideas. Not even going into their LGBT-phobic tendencies.

And fuck this teasing, we literally just waited a month and now we have to wait another month? God.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually would now be a decent time to make a thread about the "Jane" datamine?

I wanted to when it first cropped up but after talking with people we decided it was to vague at the time.

Now we have an actual conection and I'm wondering if it's worth it's own thread of discussion.

trippyturtle

Mar 11, 2019
User Banned (1 day): Port-begging; ignoring mod post
PS4 makes sense but hopefully a Switch port is in our future.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If the title is a reference to the Royal Flush then we could see a party featuring members named after a straight flush, namely ace, king, queen, jack, and ten.

Jack would naturally be the female MC, and of all the characters to come back for a potential sequel/standalone RPG, Makoto would make a lot of sense, though it'd be awesome if it was Sae instead.

Ace, King, Jack and Ten would be trickier, especially the last one, though most of them would be new characters (a cynical part of me thinks this sort of move would be for merchandising potential). If it takes place concurrently with P5, then I could see Ace being You-Know-Who, running some sort of anti-Phantom Thief operation. Which'd be a little out of character but I will not be surprised if Atlus goes on a redemption rollercoaster with him.

But yeah it's fun speculating, to the extent I'm gonna be a little bummed out if it is just a FeMC route

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
What you're theorizing would be completely at odds with the two spinoffs we got for P3, and the spinoff we got for P4.

you're saying it "feels like too much effort" but atlus has literally done it three times already, and is doing a similar naming convention here that indicates this is more of the same.
I just took a couple minutes and looked at some of the awakening scenes from 5 showing the in game characters and how they look and honestly this trailer don't look as big a leap as I had in my head. Guess it's been awhile since I saw 5 in action.

I was just so impressed visually when the two dancing games came out that I thought there'd be no way they could have those visuals in an updated 5 this quickly but I think it's possible looking at it now.

That was my only holdback from thinking this was A fes-golden game, was how much effort it would take to get those graphics. My bad dude sorry haha I guess I should have looked at the original game before posting what I thought it looked like in my head.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I wanted to when it first cropped up but after talking with people we decided it was to vague at the time.

Now we have an actual conection and I'm wondering if it's worth it's own thread of discussion.

I think it's totally worth a thread - love it when fans uncover upcoming stuff with datamining.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Saw this Era post floating on Twitter, thoughts? 🤔

qkaIXBM.png

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's totally worth a thread - love it when fans uncover upcoming stuff with datamining.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Sorry, I'm not trying to be dense, but Do you mean the rpg genre? If so, yeah that totally lends itself to the idea that it's the fes-golden update. But like I said it could be a rpg spinoff. A game where you team up with Akechi and solve crimes like LA Noire and you level up and get new abilities to deduce when people are lying and stuff. There's lots you could do with an rpg spinoff.

I'm not trying to argue with you haha I just don't see the reasoning behind updated the visuals this much this soon on the same platform. That feels like too much effort.

Edit : I saw you edit about p4 golden graphic upgrade. That's true, I just think this p5 upgrade could be far larger. I just don't see the reasoning from their perspective to do it? Seems like a waste of resources.

To give some context to that P4 upgrade, P4 Golden was originally intended to be a PSP game, and a DOWNGRADE from the base game. The graphical upgrades you see there were implemented in a couple of months when development was shifted to Vita.

Obviously it's not a waste of resources- it's not quite "free money" for Atlus, but it's close. P3FES, P3P, and P4G were all exactly the kinds of upgrades to the base game I'm talking about, all were received positively, and therefore Atlus keeps doing them.

Especially in a situation where this could simply be done via DLC (as opposed to a retail release which was necessary for all of the other ones), Atlus is in a position to rake in a lot of profit for what would be very little work- the fanbase routinely buys these things and has been asking for exactly this kind of upgrade since the day P5 came out. Do a google search for "Persona 5 crimson" to see what I mean.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do ittt

then we can speculate about ports again

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Ignoring staff post
What's irritating is that I've been waiting to play Person 5. But I dont know if I should play it now or hold off. Is Royal the full game with more content? Is the rumored Switch version really a thing? Because if so, the portability is a big selling point for such a long game for me. I guess I'll continue to hold off until there is more clarity.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I just took a couple minutes and looked at some of the awakening scenes from 5 showing the in game characters and how they look and honestly this trailer don't look as big a leap as I had in my head. Guess it's been awhile since I saw 5 in action.

I was just so impressed visually when the two dancing games came out that I thought there'd be no way they could have those visuals in an updated 5 this quickly but I think it's possible looking at it now.

That was my only holdback from thinking this was A fes-golden game, was how much effort it would take to get those graphics. My bad dude sorry haha I guess I should have looked at the original game before posting what I thought it looked like in my head.

it's alright. I get it. Enjoy your day

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

qkaIXBM.png

Feels a bit weird to quote this instead of the actual post but what if Joker isn't the CSS default? Maybe Sakurai would wanna have another female character displayed by default, or maybe Atlus pressured them into putting the Brand New Character front and center for marketing purposes?

She could also be the 6th or 7th alt, like Zero Suit Samus's latter costumes, or like Alph, where it's divided straight down the middle.

(also I think she's gonna be called Jack which might play into Joker not actually being the primary character)

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Feels a bit weird to quote this instead of the actual post but what if Joker isn't the CSS default? Maybe Sakurai would wanna have another female character displayed by default, or maybe Atlus pressured them into putting the Brand New Character front and center for marketing purposes?

She could also be the 6th or 7th alt, like Zero Suit Samus's latter costumes, or like Alph, where it's divided straight down the middle.

(also I think she's gonna be called Jack which might play into Joker not actually being the primary character)
I didn't take the screenshot, lol. But yeah, I dunno. They explicitly made it out that Joker is the one that was announced, it wouldn't make sense for her to be the default considering Joker is the only one that appears in the announcement trailer and all the promo material surrounding his inclusion into Smash so far. That's even assuming she's FeMC. If she's her own character entirely that isn't affiliated with the Phantom Thieves then it would make even less sense for her to appear.

maxresdefault.jpg

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the title is a reference to the Royal Flush then we could see a party featuring members named after a straight flush, namely ace, king, queen, jack, and ten.

Jack would naturally be the female MC, and of all the characters to come back for a potential sequel/standalone RPG, Makoto would make a lot of sense, though it'd be awesome if it was Sae instead.

Ace, King, Jack and Ten would be trickier, especially the last one, though most of them would be new characters (a cynical part of me thinks this sort of move would be for merchandising potential). If it takes place concurrently with P5, then I could see Ace being You-Know-Who, running some sort of anti-Phantom Thief operation. Which'd be a little out of character but I will not be surprised if Atlus goes on a redemption rollercoaster with him.

But yeah it's fun speculating, to the extent I'm gonna be a little bummed out if it is just a FeMC route
makoto is queen
ann is panther
ryuji is skull
futaba is oracle
Haru is noir
Yusuke is fox

if she is a femc she has the wild card and will be another joker, probably

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
To give some context to that P4 upgrade, P4 Golden was originally intended to be a PSP game, and a DOWNGRADE from the base game. The graphical upgrades you see there were implemented in a couple of months when development was shifted to Vita.

Obviously it's not a waste of resources- it's not quite "free money" for Atlus, but it's close. P3FES, P3P, and P4G were all exactly the kinds of upgrades to the base game I'm talking about, all were received positively, and therefore Atlus keeps doing them.

Especially in a situation where this could simply be done via DLC (as opposed to a retail release which was necessary for all of the other ones), Atlus is in a position to rake in a lot of profit for what would be very little work- the fanbase routinely buys these things and has been asking for exactly this kind of upgrade since the day P5 came out. Do a google search for "Persona 5 crimson" to see what I mean.
Yeah man I'm well aware of the previous games getting updates. To me they all visually look quite similar even if golden got a bit of an upgrade. I just was expecting the game to look visually almost indentical to 5 while containing new events and maybe a social link or 2 not a graphics upgrade like I had thought in my head. But it's all cleared up :)

(I didn't know about p4 originally intended for psp, that's super interesting!) edit : thanks have a good one too Manmademan !

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

qkaIXBM.png
This really doesn't mean anything because multiple Smash alternate costumes don't follow this specific pattern for outright model swaps (which makes sense given how we now know that Jane isn't just "girl Joker", her costumes would be further back, the same way Alph is in the back half of Olimar's outfits, because her name most likely won't be "Joker"). On top of that, these datamined parameters are all in-progress and the costume placements may not be final.

Ann never made sense for this, especially with the arguments people posed for it (aside from the obvious part of not having a ponytail, why would she be part of a single costume's final smash?). Now that we have a female character with a ponytail, it's practically confirmed.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This really doesn't mean anything because multiple Smash alternate costumes don't follow this specific pattern for outright model swaps (which makes sense given how we now know that Jane isn't just "girl Joker", her costumes would be further back, the same way Alph is in the back half of Olimar's outfits, because her name most likely won't be "Joker"). On top of that, it's all a WIP and the costume placements wouldn't be final.

Ann never made sense for this. Now that we have a female character with a ponytail, it's practically confirmed.

Except if Joker's final smash is their: "All out attack", it's likely Ann will show up. Who has ponytails.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
What's irritating is that I've been waiting to play Person 5. But I dont know if I should play it now or hold off. Is Royal the full game with more content? Is the rumored Switch version really a thing? Because if so, the portability is a big selling point for such a long game for me. I guess I'll continue to hold off until there is more clarity.
Clearly not. If it were, there wouldn't be much point to only confirming PS4.
Irks me that it's not Persona 5: Royal
Could change to that when localized (much like not using "The Golden" for P4G).

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't take the screenshot, lol. But yeah, I dunno. They explicitly made it out that Joker is the one that was announced, it wouldn't make sense for her to be the default considering Joker is the only one that appears in the announcement trailer and all the promo material surrounding his inclusion into Smash so far. That's even assuming she's FeMC. If she's her own character entirely that isn't affiliated with the Phantom Thieves then it would make even less sense for her to appear.

maxresdefault.jpg

It makes sense he'd be the focal point initially though considering we didn't know Royal or the (potential) FeMC existed at the time. They had to advertise with sooomething, and it wouldn't exactly be false advertising since he'd still be there, just as an alt. I dunno, I guess I just want another female character on the CSS, especially after they went with the Wrong Corrin, haha.

makoto is queen
ann is panther
ryuji is skull
futaba is oracle
Haru is noir
Yusuke is fox

if she is a femc she has the wild card and will be another joker, probably

The Joker card has its origins in the Jack I believe, so it'd still work out. She'd need another nickname anyway and I think Jack is a pretty solid substitute.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The fact that this game is only coming to the PlaySation 4 and NOT the PlayStation 3 leads me to believe this is a separate game and not DLC.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Great game but I don't think the R is for me. I played the original and had to force myself to finish it. With over 100+ hours it overstayed it's welcome towards the end.
Not interested in a female MC in the slightest but I guess R is a great full package for people who have yet to experience P5

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Wonder if they'll put this up on Amazon.jp now or wait until it gets a concrete release date. I wouldn't mind preordering now. :(

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Official Staff Communication
Let's cut out all the cross-talk about a Switch release, please. This thread is for the PlayStation announcement and there are numerous other Nintendo threads where you can discuss the likelihood of a Switch version. Thank you.

Thank you.

I was reading the whole thread to see what prompted the Staff warning, and wasn't surprised in the slightest to see the usual suspects mixed up in it.

5 bans and like 9 warnings just because people cant help themselves.

0ff4BuG.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.