• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you want Persona 5: The Royal to be?

• Standalone scenario like Torna

Votes: 388 24.7%
  • Expanded re-release + new scenario

Votes: 729 46.4%
  • FeMC route like P3P

Votes: 455 28.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh nice. I am all in for some more Persona any time.

My PS4 is ready :)

Official Staff Communication
Let's cut out all the cross-talk about a Switch release, please. This thread is for the PlayStation announcement and there are numerous other Nintendo threads where you can discuss the likelihood of a Switch version. Thank you.

Yikes... looks like this thread went exactly as I've come to expect.

Always a shame.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people so sure is FemC and not a new character like in P4 Golden?
1. Because she looks too vanilla to be one of Atlus' trademark new female characters in a re-release ala Marie, Alex, Nemesia, Metis, Rin.
2. The way she's framed in this teaser is too important for her to be a secondary character in that way.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
1. Because she looks too vanilla to be one of Atlus' trademark new female characters in a re-release ala Marie, Alex, Nemesia, Metis, Rin.
2. The way she's framed in this teaser is too important for her to be a secondary character in that way.

Ding ding ding.

(Not to mention the Jane character costume file in smash for Joker.)

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe she will share leadership with joker starting at some point in the story? and joker is still present in it

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
that would be a weird fake out, because the voice over paints a very clear picture of the character shown. if it didn't have the "you have to change things for yourself!" line, i could maybe buy it (like the girl is the phantom thief protagonist watching an interview on the screen), but that line gives her too much motivation and purpose.

(also weird: a female protagonist would be a huge selling point, and burying that seems silly!)

Most likely given what we know (The phantom thieves are already active in her timeline of events, and she apparently disagrees- embracing a "do it yourself" approach; she's a first year student whereas the entire cast are second years in P5) that rather than another MC, this character will be another Wild Card user like Joker and Akechi, with her own series of events she experiences solo.

I think I'm on board with everyone who thinks this is going to be side content more along the lines of "The Answer" rather than a wholesale replacement of the existing game's MC.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Only way for this girl to be a protagonist is Royal being something like Persona 3's The Answer, a side story of sorts.

There's not much info but the little we do know makes her circumstances too different from Joker's for it to work. Freshman, speaks like an outsider to the scooby gang, different ideals.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair Marie was far more important than just being a random new secondary character.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So fun fact ( just found this out)
Jane was cut content from the game

There is more floating around but she was used as a test character model and her files still exist in the game.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Atlus really needs to fire whoever is doing their PR. They think they're building hype by doing these shitty announcement of announcement of announcements but all it's doing is frustrating their fan base. Get to the fucking point already.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Man I would love a female protagonist, especially if they make her a completely separate character from joker (hence the different school year for example). I don't know if it will happen — I admit it doesn't seem likely — but I would love it.

Hopefully they also take this opportunity to pace the general story better, improve Mementos and remove the homophobic crap.

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
ok I've come to another conclusion. I dont care what this ends up being. Let me date Yusuke, Atlus you cowards

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
User Warned: Port-begging; ignoring mod post
Meh.

It's not on Switch and I personally don't care about them adding a FeMC, so that was a pretty weak reveal.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why would they make the stand in for Joker a year younger, she would be hanging out with nobody in class now since the only person her age would be Futaba now
He didn't even make it to class before meeting Ryuji and Ann. Half the party member don't attend your class and only one confidant does.

Yusuke doesn't even go to your school.

Really the only characters I could see needing a drastic change to still meet are Kawakami and Mishima.

Last edited:

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this screams a Marie situation. FemC she ain't.

Thing is, with Marie they went out of their way to show she wasn't related to the school AT ALL. No uniform, velvet room badge, mysterious circumstances.

Here, this character is so much like Joker aside from being a first year, that I can't see it as anything but a FemC/Playable character situation.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
P5R trending on Japanese Twitter

2dZQJ1y.png

ok I've come to another conclusion. I dont care what this ends up being. Let me date Yusuke, Atlus you cowards

DimpledDeliriousCoypu-small.gif

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
So was PS2 when P4 released.

Lol what? Persona 4 released in 2008. The PS3 had only been on the market for 2 years at that point and the PS2 was still selling at a decent pace. 50+ million PS2's were sold AFTER the PS3 launch.

It's 2019. The PS4 has been on the market for almost 5 and a half years. The PS3 was not only swiftly killed after the PS4 launch (whereas the PS2 was not) the PS3's 80 odd million install base is a little more than half ot the 155m or so PS2s that were sold. The PS3 didn't have the post launch audience the PS2 did, at all.

The situations aren't comparable.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the situation at this point

Pro-FeMC:
Generic design
Smash datamine has her interchangeable with Joker

Anti-FeMC:
She is a first year instead of a second year like Joker
Her in the trailer is not for the Phantom Thieves

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Thing is, with Marie they went out of their way to show she wasn't related to the school AT ALL. No uniform, velvet room badge, mysterious circumstances.

Here, this character is so much like Joker aside from being a first year, that I can't see it as anything but a FemC/Playable character situation.
Her comments reflect her being an antagonist more than anything.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So fun fact ( just found this out)
Jane was cut content from the game

There is more floating around but she was used as a test character model and her files still exist in the game.

I remember seeing this yesterday and wanted to post about it. Seems like it's just a reference model for environment artists however. Weird that people are discovering this only 2 years after release, lol.

Someone tried texturing her

CyuGcHj.png

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great, two announcements, still don't know what the hell this is.

Anyway, whatever it is I wish it has poems.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this screams a Marie situation. FemC she ain't.
How does it scream Marie exactly? I don't even get this comparison.

She's dressed very plain unlike pretty much every other character and confidant who have something to distinguish their outfit in comparison to the standard uniform.

She's the sole focus of this teaser compared to Marie who was advertised in addition to all the other changes along side Golden.

Plus the Smash datamine which suggests she could at least be important enough to work as a costume switch for Joker implying she'd have a similar enough move set.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Not much to go off but it looks like it's using the new (or is it updated? Idk) engine they used for the two dancing games which had way better character models.

Given that, going back and redoing a game as large as 5 (all those scenes + updated visuals on Persona monsters) would take a ton of work. Especially this soon after 5.

I think this is just a 10-20 hour spinoff game. And at most an unaltered vanilla persona 5 will be included. But I don't think the base game of 5 will be getting anything new sadly.

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the situation at this point

Pro-FeMC:
Generic design
Smash datamine has her interchangeable with Joker

Anti-FeMC:
She is a first year instead of a second year like Joker
Her in the trailer is not for the Phantom Thieves

She can't be a replacement for Joker because she's a fully voiced character. She can be a protagonist of a new story/scenario.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
She can't be a replacement for Joker because she's a fully voiced character. She can be a protagonist of a new story/scenario.

She's fully voiced in the teaser trailer but that doesn't mean anythinf for the game.

Meanwhile for smash she's ALREADY coded as an ALTERNATE COSTUME for Joker/Jack. (Like the Corrins, Robins, etc.)

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Not much to go off but it looks like it's using the new (or is it updated? Idk) engine they used for the two dancing games which had way better character models.

Given that, going back and redoing a game as large as 5 (all those scenes + updated visuals on Persona monsters) would take a ton of work. Especially this soon after 5.

I think this is just a 10-20 hour spinoff game. And at most an unaltered vanilla persona 5 will be included. But I don't think the base game of 5 will be getting anything new sadly.
Helps that the game is being developed solely for PS4. It looks much nicer just from this short trailer, I'd imagine they'd want to reuse a lot of assets from P5 though and they're super low quality. Texture res especially is really bad and that's mainly due to PS3 being the lead platform.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather this be some sort of expansion like Torna or whatever. I don't want an enhanced re-release as I don't want to spend that much time getting the platinum trophy again lol

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping that an updated version of P5 would expand on the story of the cast and show us much more of them and their lives outside of Phantom Thieves.

Not sure I like how they are adding and focusing on a completely new character. (if this is indeed an updated version of P5)

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

The base game not getting ANYTHING would be super weird. PSFES, P3P, and P4G all had alterations to the base game to address balance issues. And P5 isn't immune from these. Haru in particular comes into the game so late her development with the MC feels pretty awkward.

I could see some tweaks- it's been more than long enough to implement them and these are things fans have been asking for.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
She looks cool as fuck

Would be cool to have her be like a marie character. plus new dialogue and scenes and dungeons is always welcome

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
It's been tough holding out on replaying the game but we all knew what this would be. I'll probably wait and buy this now.

Oh man, the possibilities! My wishlist:
- a P3P like Fem route with added content
- Tightening up the portion of the game around Hawaii and the burger Palace
- Letting the kids have more fun in that section, or hell throughout the whole game
- toning down the text repetition
- removing the homophobic scene
- localization improvements

Trigger

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm very hyped. I'm going to go with her being a FeMC.

I'm curious about what her "do it yourself mindset" could mean within the context of the story.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
The base game not getting ANYTHING would be super weird. PSFES, P3P, and P4G all had alterations to the base game to address balance issues. And P5 isn't immune from these. Haru in particular comes into the game so late her development with the MC feels pretty awkward.

I could see some tweaks- it's been more than long enough to implement them and these are things fans have been asking for.
To be clear I personally don't think this will include P5. I think this just a spinoff game like the fighting and dancing games. I just don't think they'd have enough time to redo 5 in a new updated or enough reason to do so right now anyways.

I meant that p5 could be included in a deluxe version in case you hadn't played the base game beforehand.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we can import P5 save because there is no fucking way I'm going to sit through this game 90+ hours again.

Status
Not open for further replies.