• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you want Persona 5: The Royal to be?

• Standalone scenario like Torna

Votes: 388 24.7%
  • Expanded re-release + new scenario

Votes: 729 46.4%
  • FeMC route like P3P

Votes: 455 28.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
hmm seeing as she's not a fan of phantom thieves and a first year, wonder if this is a spinoff with her as the lead or just an extra character added to the story (the new marie?)

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not announced for the platform. Ain't that how it's done here? Sure was how it was done for octopath and smtv cuz I damn sure remember big red letters above my post saying "portbegging"

I'd imagine that the circumstances were different that what you're saying. But FWIW I too can say that I was warned for 'backseat modding' a while back for doing something really benign so we're best off just dropping this I think.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why are they stretching this announcement out so much?

I'm down for FemMC if she has a separate or unique story, and if it's also DLC. If it's mostly the same or she's isnt even playable I'll pass.

Are they fixing the homophobic stuff?

tenor.gif

If there's anything that really sours Persona 5 for me it's this.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Bold prediction

Persona 5 The Royal doesn't actually feature the main campaign in the package, it'll be a Torna-styled stand-alone title, hence why it's PS4 only.

P5S will be the game that features the main campaign + The Royal, which will be released on all consoles. They can call it, I dunno, Persona 5 The Suite? Or something else that sounds fancy.

Now that's good.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
She's talking to Akechi apparently so even if she was part of the thieves it's obviously not a person she'd be eager to sing their praises to.
This also means it can't be post game unless there going full AU.

Okay, that's very interesting actually! This could mean many things, but yeah, it likely won't be post-game then. Guess we'll find out more during the concerts at the end of April.

Oct 27, 2017
We know that this game is an RPG. From that alone, I'm going to assume they could probably make this DLC for the base P5 but I could understand them not wanting to piss off their PS3 customers like that. Considering this is only being developed with PS4 in mind, they could really market the whole "better graphics" aspect just like they did with P4G. However, this is only assuming it IS a re-release with an extra scenario. Dunno, just throwing ideas out there.

maxresdefault.jpg
That's very possible. If it is a rerelease with new content then I hope they fix the original game. Remove the filler, treat LGBT better and restructure the story to flow better.

If not then a whole new game is much better. I just hope they don't put tonedeaf offensive content like Catherine Fullbody or to a smaller extenct the past Persona games.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
theory:
P5 royal is actually not an extended version, but a sequel with the new female character as the MC. it's either a new stand-alone release, or DLC for the base game (stand-alone being more likely)
P5S is a bundle of the two games, announced for switch around the time the joker dlc is released
How would a sequel to P5 work? Phantom Theives are gone at this point so why would she be talking about them in this trailer?

I'm thinking it's a re-release of the base game with an additional "what-if" scenario just like P4G.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Bold prediction

Persona 5 The Royal doesn't actually feature the main campaign in the package, it'll be a Torna-styled stand-alone title, hence why it's PS4 only.

P5S will be the game that features the main campaign + The Royal, which will be released on all consoles. They can call it, I dunno, Persona 5 The Suite? Or something else that sounds fancy.
However, in this scenario what the price would be for P5S? If it includes the base game (60€) and the extra campaign (40€ supposing the price is the same as Torna), It would be around 100€. If it really would be for all the platforms, it wouldn't be a fair price point to jump into the series.
I think that P5R is either a Torna-like expension like you said, or with higher probability a re-edition with a new scenario (60€). Then, about P5S, if it is the Switch version, I assume it would be only the base game (60€), maybe with the scenario sold as digital DLC later (30€, for example).

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While we're at it, I don't think the Persona Super Live will only reveal this. If we got by the earlier theory that Royal is some sort of side story/standalone/additional content and S is the "full version" including both P5 and Royal, then there's still P5M and P5B which were updated last december and could be announced at the Super Live as well.

P5B is likely to be a new fighting game by ArcSys. The big unknown is P5M. Mobile ?

However, in this scenario what the price would be for P5S? If it includes the base game (60€) and the extra campaign (40€ supposing the price is the same as Torna), It would be around 100€. If it really would be for all the platforms, it wouldn't be a fair price point to jump into the series.
I think that P5R is either a Torna-like expension like you said, or with higher probability a re-edition with a new scenario (60€). Then, about P5S, if it is the Switch version, I assume it would be only the base game (60€), maybe with the scenario sold as digital DLC later (30€, for example).

In Japan Persona 5 is very far from being full price.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No there isnt stop making shit up.
the mods seem to disagree so...

Some people in this thread seems to think the following.

1) Persona 5 will come to Switch.
2) Joker will get an alt with the girl teased in Persona 5 R.
3) The girl will not be playable in the Persona 5 game for Switch.

So the logic here is Nintendo would be happy to market exclusive content for a PS4 game?
here's what i think:
P5 royal is actually not an extended version, but a sequel with the new female character as the MC. it's either a new stand-alone release, or DLC for the base game (stand-alone being more likely)
P5S is a bundle of the two games, announced for switch around the time the joker dlc is released

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
I just find it bizarre that apparantly Nintendo had Joker on their list of characters for Sakurai to use for Smash DLC when his game seemingly isn't even coming out on Switch for the forseeable future.

Not true at all. The original rumor mentioned the Persona Concert which is next month. They also stated that's where Persona games are to be announced.

https://personacentral.com/rumor-pe...plete-edition-2019-super-smash-ultimate-leak/

I think that's right. Sounds like an Atlus thing to do. Royal is not P5 deluxe and is PS4 exclusive. It's the next game to buy if you're a fan of P5. Meanwhile the Switch version, if it exists, will just be a P5 port.

Probably. The Switch version could be based off the PS3 version with some enhancements.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
While we're at it, I don't think the Persona Super Live will only reveal this. If we got by the earlier theory that Royal is some sort of side story/standalone/additional content and S is the "full version" including both P5 and Royal, then there's still P5M and P5B which were updated last december and could be announced at the Super Live as well.

P5B is likely to be a new fighting game by ArcSys. The big unknown is P5M. Mobile ?
wouldnt the fighter be P5U?

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the mods seem to disagree so...

here's what i think:
This does seem to make the most sense. Just one month left and we'll know!

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good to get another thread derailed by people "defending" us from portbegging.

Indeed. I find it kinda rich how some seem to think that the people speculating about a very vague announcement are the problem and people being snide about the mods and insiders whilst not discussing the game/announcement at all are A-OK.

It just a little embarrassing IMO.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
I mean they have not announced anything for switch yet except Joker for Smash. Everybody is kind of hyping themselves up for something that has not been announced yet or ever will be.

Just like we are doing with FeMC

Fans have been hyping themselves the second after the Joker Smash trailer. We got hyped for P5U or P5 Arena and P5R and all the Switch rumors have been from fans and dataminer hopes. Is this going to stop them from going crazy? NOPE, just slaping PS4 in their face is not gonna do it, the hype was too strong, denial is going to last a long time. Most of us are still on team #SwitchIsReal

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Honestly, part of me is really hoping it's a re-release. I fucking loved the improvements Golden made to base P4 and I feel P5 more than anything deserves a proper makeover.

Hoping we get

Shido confidant just like Adachi

That's very possible. If it is a rerelease with new content then I hope they fix the original game. Remove the filler, treat LGBT better and restructure the story to flow better.

If not then a whole new game is much better. I just hope they don't put tonedeaf offensive content like Catherine Fullbody or to a smaller extenct the past Persona games.
Agreed on all fronts!

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
We only got the name and a really short teaser, and the name heavily implies that is a new version of the game. Maybe it has a new scenario, but P5 The royal sounds like P4 Golden or P3FES. The same company released SMT4 Apocalypse as an entire new game though, but the names for Persona improved versions follow a pattern and this new game matches with it.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
But I am. Which one of the thousands "insiders" claimed that the Switch version (and possible exclusive) was going to be announced in january?
I bet I can search him saying that it did not happened because things changed.
No there isnt stop making shit up.
no, you do not know that. did atlus ever say it comes to the switch? no they didn't.

https://personacentral.com/rumor-pe...plete-edition-2019-super-smash-ultimate-leak/

This site specifically mentions April 24th when the "Persona 5 for Switch" rumor popped up in December. So until then, there is a Switch version in the works.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Good to get another thread derailed by people "defending" us from portbegging.
umm so it is thread derail to ask to not derail the thread with port begging and instead discuss the actual game?

This site specifically mentions April 24th when the "Persona 5 for Switch" rumor popped up in December. So until then, there is a Switch version in the works.
linking me an article with "rumor" at the title to prove to me something is confirmed is one way i guess.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I mean, there are no chances to see this available with a discount for P5 Ultimate owners, right? I suppose it will be a 70€ release, since Atlus...

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
We only got the name and a really short teaser, and the name heavily implies that is a new version of the game. Maybe it has a new scenario, but P5 The royal sounds like P4 Golden or P3FES. The same company released SMT4 Apocalypse as an entire new game though, but the names for Persona improved versions follow a pattern and this new game matches with it.
Yeah, when you think of Royal you think something tremendous or lofty, like it's been 'upgraded' almost, above a tier.

Persona 4: The Golden (JP title)
Persona 5: The Royal (JP title?)

It works. And when they bring it over to the West, they can just call it Persona 5 Royal.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
umm so it is thread derail to ask to not derail the thread with port begging and instead discuss the actual game?

Everyone in this thread is discussing the actual game and what it could be, as well as what the name could imply. The only ones not doing it are those complaining about "portbegging" and "thread derail", ironically derailling it themselves.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Feel free to discuss the plethora of info Atlus has given us with today's announcement.

Considering the lack of info I must say a lot of good discussion was happening first 9 pages, until some people started saying the p-word.

Jul 24, 2018
She doesn't seem to be female Joker, since she's a first year and Joker is a second year.

However, it's also possible that they change up the story a significant amount for a female MC too, since Joker's background wouldn't really work all that well.
Her being a first year could just mean she's in a different class, so she'll get a different confidant to replace Kawakami. I don't think that dashes the hope of her being a protagonist aside.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Here is my theory, this is a standalone game. It takes place in an alternate universe with a couple of differences - Shiho's suicide is sucessful and Ann and the others ultimately decide to kill Kamoshida. This leads to a more extreme version of the Phantom Theives who are willing to kill. Akechi in response decides find other Persona users in order to combat the Phantom Theives including FMC as well as Sae Nijima. All the persons in the game are inspired by the Royal Flush Deck hence the title. It is basically SMT 4 Apocalypse to SMT4

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Just like we are doing with FeMC

Fans have been hyping themselves the second after the Joker Smash trailer. We got hyped for P5U or P5 Arena and P5R and all the Switch rumors have been from fans and dataminer hopes. Is this going to stop them from going crazy? NOPE, just slaping PS4 in their face is not gonna do it, the hype was too strong, denial is going to last a long time. Most of us are still on team #SwitchIsReal

The original rumor always mentioned the Persona Concert in April. Nobody seems to notice that.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Portbegging; previous infractions
Status
Not open for further replies.