• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you want Persona 5: The Royal to be?

• Standalone scenario like Torna

Votes: 388 24.7%
  • Expanded re-release + new scenario

Votes: 729 46.4%
  • FeMC route like P3P

Votes: 455 28.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love it if they did something more clever, like have her part of a second group that's working against/alongside the thieves. But that's probably way too much work.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
theory:
P5 royal is actually not an extended version, but a sequel with the new female character as the MC. it's either a new stand-alone release, or DLC for the base game (stand-alone being more likely)
P5S is a bundle of the two games, announced for switch around the time the joker dlc is released

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: continuous pattern of modwhining across multiple threads
First the monster hunter celebration thread and now here. Do we even mod anymore

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bold prediction

Persona 5 The Royal doesn't actually feature the main campaign in the package, it'll be a Torna-styled stand-alone title, hence why it's PS4 only.

P5S will be the game that features the main campaign + The Royal, which will be released on all consoles. They can call it, I dunno, Persona 5 The Suite? Or something else that sounds fancy.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No she doesn't. Not at all.
It's not because the hair color is similar and because she has a ponytail that suddenly she looks the same, come on.
D2WBPNGVYAE9-RT

g7VcIGP_d.jpg

protagonist-female-shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-portable-6.68.jpg

latest

Whatever you say. Still looks similar enough to me.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So this is either a whole new game or a new scenario that comes with an updated Persona 5?

We know that this game is an RPG. From that alone, I'm going to assume they could probably make this DLC for the base P5 but I could understand them not wanting to piss off their PS3 customers like that. Considering this is only being developed with PS4 in mind, they could really market the whole "better graphics" aspect just like they did with P4G. However, this is only assuming it IS a re-release with an extra scenario. Dunno, just throwing ideas out there.

maxresdefault.jpg

Tidus

Oct 25, 2017
everything is just confusing now, and fans are going to drive themselves nutty trying to solve the puzzle.
I mean they have not announced anything for switch yet except Joker for Smash. Everybody is kind of hyping themselves up for something that has not been announced yet or ever will be.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theory:

atlus is gonna fuck everything and announce persona 5 x rabbids being a battle royale, hence Persona 5: The Royal

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Atlus makes good but problematic games and treats its most devout fans like they're animals (between stringing them along like this and that bullshit with the contest with no prize). The homophobia and transphobia is by far the worst part.

How can anyone support this company in good conscience?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bold prediction

Persona 5 The Royal doesn't actually feature the main campaign in the package, it'll be a Torna-styled stand-alone title, hence why it's PS4 only.

P5S will be the game that features the main campaign + The Royal, which will be released on all consoles. They can call it, I dunno, Persona 5 The Suite? Or something else that sounds fancy.
omg!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Super happy to see a potential female MC. However, just as other people already guessed, it looks more like a "For Answer" scenario similar to Persona 3 FES rather than a full female MC route. Because going by the trailer, she wouldn't want to joint the Phantom Thieves but rather do her own thing. So this story could either be set after the main game or right in the middle. The latter leads to a second speculation, because she could totally just be another NPC or a sorta rival character to the Phantom Thieves that appears throughout the main game. I really hope the latter won't be the case.

My personal hope would be a full female MC route, of course. But it seems more likely that she will be featured in an additional scenario. I just don't hope she's not just another NPC / rival character (who later can perhaps become a party member) who's included in the main scenario with additional scenes. I doubt this will be the case though, especially considering the Smash leak. Also her design is very... how should I put it? "Neutral"? Similar to the other Persona protagonists. She definitely looks like a playable character.

bakutaco

May 20, 2018
I thing I though about is that Joker actually says "See ya" in one of the intro animation cutscenes. This might be a case of that.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I just find it bizarre that apparantly Nintendo had Joker on their list of characters for Sakurai to use for Smash DLC when his game seemingly isn't even coming out on Switch for the forseeable future.

Well, Atlus is still making exclusives for Nintendo systems, and I guess they thought it'd be better to include their biggest character for Smash DLC sales rather than a less famous one that is actually on their system just to advertise them.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
She looks similar enough to the p3p FeMC that I'm kind of left wondering if they're supposed to be the same person

Like, not in a linear "I did the Persona 3 thing then moved to do the Persona 5 thing" but more of like an alternate universe same person born in slightly different circumstances reincarnation type thing

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Theory: That girl is the protag and you team up with Akechi, Sae, the Phantom Theives that join later in P5 and a talking dog to fight Joker, Ryuji, Ann and Morgana. Then the twist is that Akechi betrays you again because he is a horribly written character.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So sick of the teases for this thing. A reveal trailer has to be on 4/24 right? Not sure how long they plan to drag it out.

Anyways I'm willing to wait until a reveal trailer before giving up on a Switch port. Though at this point maybe Switch will only get the original Persona 5. lol

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
She doesn't seem to be female Joker, since she's a first year and Joker is a second year.

However, it's also possible that they change up the story a significant amount for a female MC too, since Joker's background wouldn't really work all that well.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bold prediction

fuck that'd be the best possible scenario

thus it will not happen

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But I am. Which one of the thousands "insiders" claimed that the Switch version (and possible exclusive9 was going to be announced in january?
I bet I can search him saying that it did not happened because things changed.

"Thousands"? Good grief.

You appear to be a bit too invested in this so I'll reiterate what I said previously- never mind.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super happy to see a potential female MC. However, just as other people already guessed, it looks more like a "For Answer" scenario similar to Persona 3 FES rather than a full female MC route. Because going by the trailer, she wouldn't want to joint the Phantom Thieves but rather do her own thing. So this story could either be set after the main game or right in the middle. The latter leads to a second speculation, because she could totally just be another NPC or a sorta rival character to the Phantom Thieves that appears throughout the main game. I really hope the latter won't be the case.

My personal hope would be a full female MC route, of course. But it seems more likely that she will be featured in an additional scenario. I just don't hope she's not just another NPC / rival character (who later can perhaps become a party member) who's included in the main scenario with additional scenes. I doubt this will be the case though, especially considering the Smash leak.
She's talking to Akechi apparently so even if she was part of the thieves it's obviously not a person she'd be eager to sing their praises to.
This also means it can't be post game unless there going full AU.

Deleted member 18742

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's like a SMT4A situation. I don't think I have the will power to be able to play through P5 unless some of the unnecessary dialogue is cut

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Bold prediction

You're forgeting that it's Atlus.

My prediction is:

Royal will be a standalone game for PS4 - full price, Switch version of P5 will be base game maybe with some additions but without Royal - full price. Later down the line Atlus will port Royal to Switch and call it Royal S and again ask for full price.

The way you listed it out was what I first though but then I got into Atlus mind and I think I cracked them! :P

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Still so little info, but at least we've got a title and a glimpse at the FeMC now.

Dataminers found reference to a ponytail within some of Joker's costume data.

To be fair since we know next to nothing (and based off translation) except she doesn't like phantom thieves; she could technically be anyone.

However if we run on this narrative, she will be his echo character. Honestly that's my guess.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
It would be a bummer if the Switch only got the base version of the game. It would make my choice easy though because I will definitely be buying this game again but portability does not trump new content for someone like me who has already beat the base game twice.

If P5R comes to Switch though I'd probably get that version.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not announced for the platform. Ain't that how it's done here? Sure was how it was done for octopath and smtv cuz I damn sure remember big red letters above my post saying "portbegging"
report the posts you think count as port begging and move on. if they are doing something against the rules, they'll be banned. you whining about it only adds to the derail (if you count it as a derail)

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some people in this thread seems to think the following.

1) Persona 5 will come to Switch.
2) Joker will get an alt with the girl teased in Persona 5 R.
3) The girl will not be playable in the Persona 5 game for Switch.

So the logic here is Nintendo would be happy to market exclusive content for a PS4 game?

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not announced for the platform. Ain't that how it's done here? Sure was how it was done for octopath and smtv cuz I damn sure remember big red letters above my post saying "portbegging"
I thought Switch speculation was allowed because mods had info knowing it was gonna happen so it's not considered port begging? I forget the rule for this one in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.