• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you want Persona 5: The Royal to be?

• Standalone scenario like Torna

Votes: 388 24.7%
  • Expanded re-release + new scenario

Votes: 729 46.4%
  • FeMC route like P3P

Votes: 455 28.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
No other company can make me as furious with their weird handling of announcements and platform choices as Atlus.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
The annoying thing is if this is the scenario, then Atlus and Nintendo both need to take responsibility and say P5 isn't coming to Switch. When Reggie was asked if this dlc meant P5 was coming his response was "we want the best games on Switch" or something like that. Don't bait your fan base into thinking something is happening for months and then remain quiet on it.

I'm starting to think that if P5 was ever coming to Switch they would've said so when Joker was announced.

It's not him baiting anyone though. They could have been working on a deal or something and couldn't confirm either way. It's always wise to only operate on what gets 100% confirmed as we've seen dozens of times over the years. Well, sometimes things are confirmed(Rise of the Tomb Raider, Metro Exodus) and still don't come to pass immediately lol.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Wait.
It's not FEMC?
Oh. I'm quite drunk so it's hard to tell what's going on..

Anyway please just throw me out a window or something.
48434.jpg

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I think the theory of it being a what-if side story makes a lot of sense. It allows to make the base game not longer than it already is, while still offering more content to the die-hards that want more. It'd also allow to sell it as an expansion to those who already own the base game, while offering a full package with both the game and the DLC at full retail price.

As for the Switch version, I think it'll have both the base game and the DLC in a complete edition under the acronym P5S.

I thought so too but this is Atlus. The Royal will be a full priced game and the Switch version of P5 will be the base game with possibly more stuff for full price but without Royal. Later down the line they will port Royal to Switch and again sell it for full price.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why ? Because she says she's against the Phantom Thieves when asked about them ? She's the secret leader of a terrorist organisation, of course she's not going to say "fuck yeah, I love the Phantom Thieves !", think Peter Parker "Spider-Man is a menace I hate him" in the old comics.
This is another good point. Who's the one talking to her? I heard someone on another site say Akechi but I'm not familiar with the Japanese VA's.

It could be her trying to throw them off her trail.(and before anyone says anything about her talking, Joker talked before the P5 reveal too.)

Nov 15, 2017
Why ? Because she says she's against the Phantom Thieves when asked about them ? She's the secret leader of a terrorist organisation, of course she's not going to say "fuck yeah, I love the Phantom Thieves !", think Peter Parker "Spider-Man is a menace I hate him" in the old comics.
Because if she was the main character she would only be able to reply in one simple unvoiced line, duh

Seriously though, it can definitely be a red herring along those lines but that would be one mean misleading teaser lol

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
The only way I'll spend money in this if it's a separate scenario which can be bought as separate DLC, so that would be the best outcome for me.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought so too but this is Atlus. The Royal will be a full priced game and the Switch version of P5 will be the base game with possibly more stuff for full price but without Royal. Later down the line they will port Royal to Switch and again sell it for full price.

that definitely sounds like some possible atlus bullshit

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I think the theory of it being a what-if side story makes a lot of sense. It allows to make the base game not longer than it already is, while still offering more content to the die-hards that want more. It'd also allow to sell it as an expansion to those who already own the base game, while offering a full package with both the game and the DLC at full retail price.

As for the Switch version, I think it'll have both the base game and the DLC in a complete edition under the acronym P5S.
I would love for all of this to be true, but this trailer doesn't really show us much and... it's Atlus. I'm confident that the Switch version will screw people over in some way (and i'm not talking about the downgrades to get it running)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would love for all of this to be true, but this trailer doesn't really show us much and... it's Atlus. I'm confident that the Switch version will screw people over in some way (and i'm not talking about the downgrades to get it running fully on the Switch).

The original P5 was released on the PS3 as well. The Switch should be able to handle P5 just fine.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping it's not a post-game scenario, pretty much everything post-game done with P3/4 was pointless. The only reason it worked out with P2 was because IS had an inconclusive ending, and that it was planned to be a duology from the start.

I don't think she'll be a female MC, but I think she might be either a new playable character (potentially having Goro's skills?) that gets added in the dungeon prior to Sae's (something that could allow for much needed character development during this time of the game). Or like how others said, she could have a side story that ties into her being playable, kind of like how Patty was integrated into the Tales of Vesperia re-release. Or worst case scenario, she's another Marie.

I really don't think it will be a post game thing though. Along with what I said previously, Persona 5 Dancing really drives the point home of the cast not having any access to their powers or the metaverse anymore too (especially with the latter being gone).

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Screenshotted so if this is proven wrong... we'll have this to look back on lol
Suit yourself. I'm just tired of the same old song and dance everytime a game that people were convinced would come to Switch is announced for another platform. It feels desperate. When Spyro was announced for PS4 and Xbox people had convinced themselves that Nintendo, for some reasons, would want to announce it on their own term. Sounds familiar?

And when has that ever been a thing? To announce your game for one platform, and wait a bit to announce it on another? It would be confusing messaging and I don't see why a company would do it. At least for P5 Royal the preorders aren't opened so it's slightly less ridiculous.

saiko

Keeper of the White Materia
Nov 4, 2017
Man what a tease and they're making us wait another month for more info? They could've given us a little more if that was the case.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
She's talking to herself, so it doesn't make sense to do that in addition to the fact that Joker would never say those words. Atlus also wouldn't put that in the trailer just to trick people.

The character being a first year instead of a second year strongly points to her being a different character as well.

Rabla

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
She doesn't like the Phantom Thieves so she might be an additional character similar to Marie. Another month until we get more info. Announcement of an announcement leading to most likely another announcement.

Well the next one, April 24th, is this year's Persona Music Live, where they always drop the huge reveals. So that'll be the 'real' reveal and actually give us a ton.

Jul 24, 2018
Yeah after thinking about it; I'm going with the theory that The Royal is an alternate story with a different protagonist featuring a different group. This character is the "FeMC", but not in the sense that she's a model swap of Joker, she's a unique character getting a unique story, and it'll be set concurrently with the Phantom Thieves story (which is all assuming the Phantom Thieves will actually be in this story - the whole "I don't like the Phantom Thieves" might just be a meta commentary about how she's going to improve society her own way). Marie this girl ain't.

Also, I thought about this a few times before but knowing how Hashino writes his shit I really doubt they would put the FeMC through the same scenario Joker did in the main game. A lot of the shit Joker gets put through has a distinctively "male delinquent" vibe all over it, generally with the way his authoritative figures accost him. It'd be fairly jarring to just slot in a female character in Joker's place for that considering how other characters are treated. There'd have to be massive rewrites no matter what, so I can see why a brand new scenario for a female character would make the most sense.
Wasn't Hashino quoted on saying not wanting to do something "crazy" like a fem protagonist again when he talked about Persona 4 Golden?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Smash model have a Jane version and a ponytail reference makes me think it is a FemMC, but maybe they're going more different here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now the big question is, since we know Smash has this female protagonist (or whatever she is) playable as a Joker alt, how do they talk about it before Atlus properly reveals her and her game at the Persona Super Live ?

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be tempted to buy again if it's a FEMC, if it's just an additional character I think I'll pass

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now the big question is, since we know Smash has this female protagonist (or whatever she is) playable as a Joker alt, how do they talk about it before Atlus properly reveals her and her game at the Persona Super Live ?
It's still before then end of April technically so worst case scenario we're not getting Joker until the end of the month.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Reading more here, yeah I could see her not being a gender swap, but a new protag in another story. But she's definitely the protag, she wears the same uniform as Joker. She ain't a non-playable character.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i think its not a rerelease.
its likely a spinoff where you play this female main character with akechi as your party member i guess?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The original P5 was released on the PS3 as well. The Switch should be able to handle P5 just fine.
Well, if the Switch version included the content from Royal (whatever this ends up being) it would need to be downgraded from the PS4 version.

And yes, I know that the original game is on the PS3.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
What clinches it for me is her apparently being a first-year. That irreconcilable with her being Joker.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully she is the main character and this is more analogous to SMT4: Apocalypse than p3p or p4: Golden.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Suit yourself. I'm just tired of the same old song and dance everytime a game that people were convinced would come to Switch is announced for another platform. It feels desperate. When Spyro was announced for PS4 and Xbox people had convinced themselves that Nintendo, for some reasons, would want to announce it on their own term. Sounds familiar?

And when has that ever been a thing? To announce your game for one platform, and wait a bit to announce it on another? It would be confusing messaging and I don't see why a company would do it. At least for P5 Royal the preorders aren't opened so it's slightly less ridiculous.

I hear ya. Its weird though cuz the Switch is hot fire in Japan and Atlus not putting P5 on it (which is also a PS3 game) could be missing alotta money.

Status
Not open for further replies.