• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Our review is delayed by a day or two because we got our code late but one thing I keep seeing mentioned is how this is a musou game. This is absolutly not a Musou game, it's more a Persona 5 sequel with a few things missing like social links but with an action rpg system. Battles take place with groups of enemies instead of hundreds of them and you trigger them by ambushing single shadows like you would in the regular P5.

You also have Personas, equipment etc, really just feels like an action rpg to me.

good to hear. I like action RPGs a lot, but I've never been able to get into Musou games, ever. People describing this as a Musou makes me hesitant to give it a shot

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Ok it's weird to me that people can't seem to agree whether this is a musou or not. I thought a musou is prety easy to identify, I'll have to look at some gameplay because I thought I'll just hop in here and see whether it's for me because I really like musou games, eventhough I'm not playing taht many of them.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
A non turn based persona game? Well.shit I'll play that. I tried persona 5 on my ps5 and once I saw it was turn based it just knocked the wind out of me.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some pretty damn good scores for a mus-

*looks through thread

musuo-adjacent game

Party

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
I thought the story of OG Persona 5 was pretty disappointing so reviews make it sound like the story here is even weaker. Might be something I pick up in a deep sale down the road I guess.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Dualshockers (no score)

"Persona 5 Strikers may look and feel a bit different from the original, but at its heart, it still revolves around the Phantom Thieves that we know and adore. As a love letter to a group of characters and setting that I quickly grew attached to, having the chance to jump back in and steal some hearts with Joker and the crew is entirely worth the return trip to Japan. For that, Persona 5 Strikers is a fitting reunion for players that are looking for one last surprise from everyone's favorite Phantom Thieves, no matter where the road takes them next."

www.dualshockers.com

Persona 5 Strikers Review -- The Phantom Thieves' Last Surprise

Persona 5 Strikers is an excellent return trip for The Phantom Thieves and hits all the stylish, energetic highs of its predecessor.

I remember hearing great impressions from importers & how this was the least musou out of all the spin-off Koei Tecmo games they've done, can't wait to play this.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see anything about frame drops outside of the Switch version, do the other versions not suffer from it (or it's barely noticeable)?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Very much looking forward to the game. Playing the Japanese demo was a huge surprise because I didn't expect this musou game to actually be so similar to regular Persona gameplay. That being said: I love musou games, so I would've bought it anyway.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The way I view it is. If I knew nothing about persona, but as a fan of musou games still got this one, would I be disapointed? Answer is , yes. Just like I was very disappointed in Dragon Quest Heroes.

Sure, musou doesn't have to be completely rigid in it's structure, that'd be awful. But there's a limit until it becomes something else. Dragon Quest Heroes pushed beyond that limit to me, and Strikers pushes WAY WAY farther.
It's not a musou despite having similar combat for the same reason GTA V is not a forza style racing game despite having driving mechanics.

According to some of you, Musou might as well be a meaninguless genre. Since apaprently it has no identifiable features. You can literally remove BASICALLY ALL of THEM and it's still somehow musou

This game has no battlefileds
No army vs army
no base capturing
no strategy elements of any kind
no large roster of characters

At this point I don't even know what a musou is to you people.. is it just [][]/\ combos? CUz there are musous without those... are those not musous?
A lot of people on this forum don't know what musou is. Someone even called Yakuza musou...

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Solid scores! I tried out the demo when it launched last year and had a great time with it. Looking forward to playing this next week.

Also if anyone has any OT title suggestions, lemme know.

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The way I view it is. If I knew nothing about persona, but as a fan of musou games still got this one, would I be disapointed? Answer is , yes. Just like I was very disappointed in Dragon Quest Heroes.

Sure, musou doesn't have to be completely rigid in it's structure, that'd be awful. But there's a limit until it becomes something else. Dragon Quest Heroes pushed beyond that limit to me, and Strikers pushes WAY WAY farther.
It's not a musou despite having similar combat for the same reason GTA V is not a forza style racing game despite having driving mechanics.

According to some of you, Musou might as well be a meaninguless genre. Since apaprently it has no identifiable features. You can literally remove BASICALLY ALL of THEM and it's still somehow musou

This game has no battlefileds
No army vs army
no base capturing
no strategy elements of any kind
no large roster of characters

At this point I don't even know what a musou is to you people.. is it just [][]/\ combos? CUz there are musous without those... are those not musous?

If the game had any of this I would have maybe enjoyed it a lot more.

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017
Welp. PC then, saw those switch Load times and canceled my pre-order. When I get a PS5, Ill think bout buying on that platform. Also, Kind of wish they released P5Royal on PC, need to finish that game, and since I should my Ps4 Pro, and still can't get a PS5. I'm stuck watching the animation movie

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
At least, Omega Force shows the potential of action based battle for Persona series.
I still kinda see Persona 6 having real time elements into it. I don't think it's going to be the same battle system as P6
Ew, please no, just leave it to spinoffs.
Persona is what showed me that turnbased systems aren't archaic and still have a place in the gaming landscape.
I don't want to one of the few higher budget holdouts of the genre to get homogenized with everything else.
Persona 5s battle system already feels extremely fluid.
It's not like I don't like action games, I mean FF7 Remake has a really good system, just don't.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I knew it wasn't as musou as I wanted and more inline with an action rpg, but after reading these reviews it's clear it's even less of what I wanted.

Still gonna buy it. Still gonna play it.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
Making great turn-based battle systems is Atlus's whole bread and butter. Really can't see them going the action RPG route, nor should they.
I don't see why they shouldn't go action for something like a new IP (like maybe Project Re:F for example), no harm in diversifying their portfolio in RPG combat.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Direct continuation of the Persona 5 storyline (not considering Royal) was all I needed to hear. Looking forward to playing this.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know they were developed alongside each other (Royal) but the lack of Kasumi kind of sucks. She was my favorite next to Makoto.

oh well. Guess I'll be Morgana all the time.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any impressions for the PC version? Is it capped at 60?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's the same score I was expecting Persona 5 Royal to get after reading the import thread.
You're telling me people who didn't played the game and were sifting out negative impressions were wrong in their takes? Say it ain't so. LOL that was a wild time.

On topic, This is about what I expected. Just a tad lower since I was thinking 84-86 range, but this is probably the best reviewing Omega Force games.

So what exactly is this compared to Persona 5? I can never quite tell. Some kind of spin off?
A lot of the Persona "spin offs" are closer to sequels in that they continue to build off of the plot of the main game. In this case, since this is an action game with pseudo turned based elements, the general feel of the game is much closer to base Persona 5 this time.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Some of the lower scores just seem more upset than anything that they're getting screwed over on the Persona 5 story since they can't have the game prior to it. Which I think is fair.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That load time is a massive difference, I assume that is not typical for Switch games?

Those are some of the worst load times I've ever seen in a Switch game.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE was developed by Atlus and I don't think the load times ever exceed 5 seconds on the Switch (the Wii U version has noticeably worse load times).

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
I watched a stream of someone playing this on Twitch. Even though he struggled with bosses, he said it was a ton of fun. It looks well-designed.

Also, it's gorgeous in 60 fps, which I usually don't care much about.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I played P5 on PS4 but I was planning Switch for this. Any advantage to use the console with my P5 save? Any redflags about Switch other than lack of surround sound? It's just weird there's such a big difference in the average score.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I played P5 on PS4 but I was planning Switch for this. Any advantage to use the console with my P5 save? Any redflags about Switch other than lack of surround sound? It's just weird there's such a big difference in the average score.
Load times are pretty bad on Switch and game runs at 30fps compared to 1080p60fps on PS4.

In Japan if you had a save file for P5/P5R on PS4 or Smash Bros Ultimate on Switch you'd get the option to replace the battle theme with Take Over + Last Surprise from P5/P5R but I think thats it. I also don't think Atlus said anything about those being available in the west. Might just be included in the base game for everyone idk