• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Except it's very clearly a Musou game.

Oh really, can't wait to capture points, protec my officers and complete objective based battlefield missions...

Oh wait...

Larger than average enemy groups and [][]/\ combo system is not what musou amounts to, at least not to us, who like em musou games.

I am still excited for p5s, but it has none of the trappings of musou games.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The closest part to a typical Musou are where you have to do a hacking section with Futaba and defend her. Even then, you're not fighting the numbers you usually do in a musou. Persona fusing and weaknesses are still very much a part of the game, especially against all boss type enemies.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the combat musou or is it action oriented like DMC and again I'm asking about hit combos/inputs aka the feel of combat?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I'm going to be that "boomer", but I'm lowkey annoyed a criticism I'm seeing of the game is that it doesn't have the calendar.

71Gx3aRMDdL._SL1500_.jpg
Persona_2_Innocent_Sin_US_Cover_Art.jpg
Persona_2_EP_cover.jpg

What are those? Persona started with 3.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They aren't and I will not accept that. They still bear the same name and same mythos (despite how much they seem to want to remove P3/P4/P5's mythos from the first two games, since Philemon doesn't even appear other than in the form of the butterfly).
For someone who just played the original game alike this year it's disappointing to see how hard you're going in on this aspect. 3-5 are by all intents and purposes different games than 1+2. Just learn to deal with it, you'll never get anything like the first two games ever again.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Musou games are normally better than the average review scores, so this one should be great! Here's hoping my PS5 is in by the time I get this! Loading times look amazing!

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
I love Persona but at the same time i'm not a fan of musou style of games.

Hopefully they will release a demo.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
For someone who just played the original game alike this year it's disappointing to see how hard you're going in on this aspect. 3-5 are by all intents and purposes different games than 1+2. Just learn to deal with it, you'll never get anything like the first two games ever again.
81-kbk61HLL._SL1500_.jpg
819KHww-iNL._SL1500_.jpg

These have a lot in common with the first two games, particularly the gameplay. No calendar, first person dungeon crawling (only Persona 1 had this), ALL characters could have Personas other than their default one (it's sub-personas, so slightly different, but still very similar to what was in the first two games, minus the compatibility). I know the writing is goofy nonsense in both games, with the nature of them being spinoffs. I have only played Q2 and was really enjoying it (I need to finish it some day).

I will not let this go, and seeing the fact that Strikers even has an adult character in the cast gives me a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, we'll get an all-adult cast in Persona 6 (even though I doubt it). I recently experienced Persona 1 and the 2 duology as well, which is what makes me go so hard on this.

And make no mistake, I do NOT think 3/4/5 are bad games, and in fact they're very good. The whole series is high quality. Hell I even rank 5 second to Eternal Punishment.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yes. This is my first major game of interest this year. Glad to see it doing well with the press. Can't wait. Got the edition with the 4 day early access ready to go.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch version is tempting as it actually runs really well based on the demo I played and seeing other footage. Portability is a huge plus too. But then 60fps, trophies, and far superior load times are tempting. First world problems, but I hate having to make decisions like this lol

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Ours:

Hardcore Gamer - 4/5

The gang is still fun to hang around with, the new characters are interesting (especially Sophia) and the overall presentation is excellent. Persona 5 Strikers isn't an out-and-out homerun, but it's still something both Persona 5 fans and Warriors fans can have a great time playing.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not. Go play the demo on Switch or PS4.

Combat isn't just "Here's hordes of enemies" like in other Musou games. You sneak up on enemies and jump on them just like in Persona 5. There are some sections where you fight a lot of enemies at once, but it's not like Musous at all. The maps are more like dungeons in Persona 5, where there's warp points that can take you out of the dungeon to heal and all.
Oh really, can't wait to capture points, protec my officers and complete objective based battlefield missions...

Oh wait...

Larger than average enemy groups and [][]/\ combo system is not what musou amounts to, at least not to us, who like em musou games.

I am still excited for p5s, but it has none of the trappings of musou games.

Every Musuo tends to do work to better adapt it to the series it's based on, Age of Calamity for example also downplays the base capturing and defending aspect of older titles in favor of boss battles, action set pieces, and point A to B objectives. But taking the stance that this isn't a real musou just because it has changed a lot up and added new features feels like an attempt to just distance it from a divisive genre label, and from what I've seen of the previews and reviews, most of them still feel comfortable with the Warriors/Musou label.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Every Musuo tends to do work to better adapt it to the series it's based on, Age of Calamity for example also downplays the base capturing and defending aspect of older titles in favor of boss battles, action set pieces, and point A to B objectives. But taking the stance that this isn't a real musou just because it has changed a lot up and added new features feels like an attempt to just distance it from a divisive genre label, and from what I've seen of the previews and reviews, most of them still feel comfortable with the Warriors/Musou label.
What is your bar for a game not being a musou then? I feel like the argument you're making you could say Fire Emblem Three Houses is a musou.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Scores are higher than I expected! Will definitely pick it up at some point. Would like to hold off and get it for cheaper since I'm unsure of I'll really enjoy it even if I adore P5/R, but I feel like I'll buckle closer to release.

Funny seeing some people call it musou and others staunchly against it. I assume it's an outsider vs fan of the genre perspective?

I played the demo for like 10 minutes when it came out in JP, and I was like "this feels like musou alright," would personally be glad to be wrong though as I'm not a big fan of the genre.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Having played both, Age of Calamity is a lot closer to a musou for sure, with the Zelda trimmings on top. P5S is very much a persona game with an action combat system unless we're now going to start calling any game with a action combat system a musou. I'd be pretty mad as a musou fan if I got P5S expecting that and then sitting through the really lengthy cutscenes and non battle sections that P5S has.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Strikers is a lot closer to a mainline persona game than musou. Age of Calamity isn't like a mainline zelda game at all. They are VERY different games

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Despite the many changes, Persona 5 Strikers maintains the charm of the original. Hanging out with this cast of characters again is a thrill, and conversations boast the same familiar blend of thoughtful introspection and goofy dialogue the series is known for. At times Persona 5 Strikers feels like a sequel rather than a spinoff. Sure, series veterans may miss some of its core elements, such as leveling up individual bonds with people instead of having a shared bond level with the whole party, but Persona 5 Strikers is still a summer trip worth taking.

Because it is a sequel. Even the trailers have shown that the S is suppose to be a 2.

Having played through the game a year ago I can recommend it 100%. It's a great game with an amazing soundtrack and a good enough story. The gameplay is very very fun.

Except it's very clearly a Musou game.

No it's clearly not. It has some Musou elements, but it's far away from the typical Musou game.

You can dress it up all you want but it's still very clearly a mousou game. Like, you can't argue against that lol.

Play the game and see that you are wrong.

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
81-kbk61HLL._SL1500_.jpg
819KHww-iNL._SL1500_.jpg

These have a lot in common with the first two games, particularly the gameplay. No calendar, first person dungeon crawling (only Persona 1 had this), ALL characters could have Personas other than their default one (it's sub-personas, so slightly different, but still very similar to what was in the first two games, minus the compatibility). I know the writing is goofy nonsense in both games, with the nature of them being spinoffs. I have only played Q2 and was really enjoying it (I need to finish it some day).

I will not let this go, and seeing the fact that Strikers even has an adult character in the cast gives me a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, we'll get an all-adult cast in Persona 6 (even though I doubt it). I recently experienced Persona 1 and the 2 duology as well, which is what makes me go so hard on this.

And make no mistake, I do NOT think 3/4/5 are bad games, and in fact they're very good. The whole series is high quality. Hell I even rank 5 second to Eternal Punishment.

... Then go play etrian odyssey?

The persona q games weren't inspired by persona 1/2 at all, they're Etrian Odyssey games with a persona skin. That's where the Q in the title comes from (only makes sense in the Japanese), but I'm guessing you already know this.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait, really looking forward to another game with the Phantom Thieves. The fact that they travel to different parts of Japan is a great change of pace.
I enjoyed the gameplay in the demo, will probably become repetitive but so does playing 10000 turn based encounters.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
My opinion is that Dragon Quest Heroes, Persona 5 Strikers, and Age of Calamity blur the line between "a pure musou" and ARPG to varying degrees.

In the end the labels are just labels.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My opinion is that Dragon Quest Heroes, Persona 5 Strikers, and Age of Calamity blur the line between "a pure musou" and ARPG to varying degrees.

In the end the labels are just labels.

In comparison P5S doesn't have the typical Musou missions except for some sidequests and even there it's not really Musou where as DQH and AoC still have a lot of that. P5S is more an action RPG as you said. It's what would have happened if they took P5 to that direction and stopped turn based combat.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018

But Eternal Punishment is the only game with adult characters. That's 1/6 mainline games.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like it's reviewing well and I hope
It sells a ton.

I need a strikes 2,
Sadly Strikes ditched all the characters I liked so I'll personally pass on this one.