• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which version are you picking up?

• PlayStation 4

Votes: 711 52.4%
  • Nintendo Switch

Votes: 232 17.1%
  • PC

Votes: 359 26.4%
  • Haven't decided yet

Votes: 86 6.3%

• Total voters

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Second Jail: do they let you get out soon? I wanted to save after exploring a bit and didn't realize they would lock me in there.

Edit: I forgot you can actually save on the checkpoint itself, but I do hope they let me out soon because I want to sell some stuff.
I just got to this point, you only have to go a bit further. Morgana warned the checkpoints could get locked again later though.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, just had a crash as soon as I set out for the third city, guess that's a sign that 8 hours is enough for a single day lol. Only the 2nd time something like this has happened so it's not a huge issue yet, hopefully it never happens after a boss fight or not having saved for a while though...

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But really. The third jail on hard is so tough. I don't even have a persona that is weak to bless and I'm still getting destroyed. Who balanced this game?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
But really. The third jail on hard is so tough. I don't even have a persona that is weak to bless and I'm still getting destroyed. Who balanced this game?
I even struggled with Alice on Hard, but I like how the balance of this game is tbh. You have to pay attention to attack patterns.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I even struggled with Alice on Hard, but I like how the balance of this game is tbh. You have to pay attention to attack patterns.

Palace 3 has been awful. So many ice and bless characters swarm the screen and the furthest I got was with another ice character to drain some health back for mine. But then here comes the bless character to knock me away from their ice attack so I can't actually drain. It's stupid. Doesn't help that they don't fucking flinch either while my whole party does, barring Ryuji. Who couldn't do shit because they never got afflicted with shock anytime I used it. Bye bye technicals. Rest of my party kept getting rushed down and abused. Went through every single one to see who could stick it to their ice/bless comps. Nothing.

And to add even more insult to injury the recipe ingredients in Sopporo have been mostly for HP items and not SP items. Should've farmed more recipes in Palace 2.

In other words, I'm not having fun right now. Went back to normal and it was a curb stomp. Like why is the balance all over? Lol smh.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Palace 3 has been awful. So many ice and bless characters swarm the screen and the furthest I got was with another ice character to drain some health back for mine. But then here comes the bless character to knock me away from their ice attack so I can't actually drain. It's stupid. Doesn't help that they don't fucking flinch either while my whole party does, barring Ryuji. Who couldn't do shit because they never got afflicted with shock anytime I used it. Bye bye technicals. Rest of my party kept getting rushed down and abused. Went through every single one to see who could stick it to their ice/bless comps. Nothing.

And to add even more insult to injury the recipe ingredients in Sopporo have been mostly for HP items and not SP items. Should've farmed more recipes in Palace 2.

In other words, I'm not having fun right now. Went back to normal and it was a curb stomp. Like why is the balance all over? Lol smh.
Sounds like you need Rakukaja.

Sep 4, 2019
That sucks, I'm trying to use all of them but that means Joker is gonna get super overleveled.
For what it's worth, I frequently switched party members to use everyone and never had this issue. I don't know if it's because Joker earns less EXP or requires more to level up but he was never more than one or two three or four above the rest of the party.

Edit: Actually, checking my save it was more like three or four, but I still never felt overleveled. It's probably because Persona level plays a big part and Joker's level is the upper limit on what you can fuse or spend persona points to level up to.

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love the way they implemented a lot of SMT and Persona mechanics in the combat. Rage making you just swing blindly with your weak attack, Drain is actually a thing! I utilized it on that first miniboss fight against a Lamia where I switched to the high level Jack O'Lantern I got from a fusion accident when she was using Maragion and would just absorb it. The mechanic about Rakukaja making you resistant to hitstun is a really good idea.

In case anyone still believes this is a musou game: I can definitively say it NOT a musou game. This is an action RPG, using the framework of musou combat. In musou games there's a lot of the "small fry" enemies, and this game technically has those, but they're few and far between the actual shadows, which there are usually a ton of. Your spells hit areas, and it's best to try to get all the shadows weak to your spell caught in it to go for an All-Out Attack.

The only disappointing factor is the lower number of Personas in the game, but I totally get why they did this as that would be a lot more animations for enemies. However, it's still important to do fusion, just you aren't throwing away Personas as useless. I'm on the second dungeon and actually still sometimes have use for Arsene. Having the right skills and resistances are extremely vital in this game, especially if you're playing on Hard mode.

This game also makes me want an SMT musou, as a war in an SMT setting makes total sense. I would like to see more games do action combat like this. Definitely not replacing Persona mainline's combat, but as spinoffs it's really cool. I need to play the Raidou games, but for those that have played them, how would you compare the combat to Strikers?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I actually have it. On Berith. Who is weak to ice. Lol. It was clutch until now. Wish I could just buy cards from Sophie's. It'll make it easier to come up with a good counter. Trying to have these party members be buffers/debuffers and no luck yet.
Use it, and then switch to something else!

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's nigh impossible to hear some of the dialogue during the battles. Especially when it's a small chat bubble at the top right and you're too busy analyzing the field and fighting.

Sorry Futaba. The soundtrack blaring in my ears is drowning you out.
Use it, and then switch to something else!

Oh. Trust me. I did. It's fine. Like I said, I stomped through the jail as soon as I switched to normal. I'd rather progress the story than keep getting frustrated haha. I'll probably grind a little more too then come back to hard.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I wish this Tuesday was the early date, then yesterday was the full release. Getting this game on Tuesday means I probably won't get a chance to really sit down with it until like maybe Thursday if I'm lucky.

Wish the English trophy was out, at least. But I imagine it's not too bad if you've managed to platinum both OG & P5R.
Getting the game last Tuesday would have been a godsend in the Texas hellscape we were living in. I still had power but no water.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
This game also makes me want an SMT musou, as a war in an SMT setting makes total sense.
Wanted this for years. Could be so good.

I would like to see more games do action combat like this. Definitely not replacing Persona mainline's combat, but as spinoffs it's really cool. I need to play the Raidou games, but for those that have played them, how would you compare the combat to Strikers?
I have yet to play Strikers (gotta finish PQ2 first), so I can't give any real comparison yet, but I'm guessing the combat in this is probably way better, at least based on my experience with both Hyrule Warriors games. The thing about the Raidou games is... the combat works, it's enjoyable enough, and it's incredibly obvious it was made by a studio that specializes in turn-based combat and has zero action combat experience. It's sufficient, but an extremely far cry from the best action combat out there.

itschris

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to get the PS4 version, but after watching a 4K video of the game on PS4 Pro, I decided to get it on Steam instead. It just looked extremely aliased on PS4 Pro, especially compared to Persona 5 Royal.

I've only played a couple hours so far, but it looks and plays great! I have an RTX 2070, and so far it runs at a solid 60 FPS on high settings at 4K (with Render Scale at 1.0). In case anyone else was trying to decide which version to get, I made a comparison between PC and PS4 Pro at 4K:

PC Version
PS4 Pro Version

And here's an animation comparing a portion of the screen with two characters:
5Hxm571.png

Besides running at 1440p rather than 4K, it seems the PS4 version doesn't have any anti-aliasing at all, not even on on the UI. The only downside to PC for me so far is that the loading times are definitely longer (even on an SSD), at least compared to the game running on PS5.

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I assume we aren't considering the original Persona 5 spoilers since this game is a sequel, but why does Morgana continue on with the "not a cat" thing? He learned what he really was at the end of Persona 5 and that he was not a human, despite talking about how to one day turn into a human. He has yet to mention that whole thing about turning into a human.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume we aren't considering the original Persona 5 spoilers since this game is a sequel, but why does Morgana continue on with the "not a cat" thing? He learned what he really was at the end of Persona 5 and that he was not a human, despite talking about how to one day turn into a human. He has yet to mention that whole thing about turning into a human.

It's just a gag for him

He probably sees himself as superior to regular cats, which is quite foolish

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
OK so one REALLY smart thing this game does is the "Persona Points" system. It eliminates the dilemma of having to choose between equipping a Persona that needs levels and equipping a Persona that is actually useful. This is something that should be in every Persona game going forward.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
OK so one REALLY smart thing this game does is the "Persona Points" system. It eliminates the dilemma of having to choose between equipping a Persona that needs levels and equipping a Persona that is actually useful. This is something that should be in every Persona game going forward.
Persona 5 already had the gallows though, which let you execute one Persona to give a large experience boost to another. I used it many times throughout my Royal run to keep certain Personas viable that I didn't want to give up yet.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Persona 5 already had the gallows though, which let you execute one Persona to give a large experience boost to another. I used it many times throughout my Royal run to keep certain Personas viable that I didn't want to give up yet.

That's not really the same thing. That's a big sacrifice to make to power up one Persona. With Persona points, you never have to equip any useless Persona just for the sake of leveling up. You can always equip the right Persona for the situation without having to worry about not giving your other Personas who are useless now, but might be useful later, especially if they level up, any experience.

In general, I'm a big fan of user allocated experience instead of the traditional "whoever is used gets the points" kind of system. If I was designing an RPG, you would be able to allocate all experience points gained to any party member you want, regardless of how much they are used (This is different from a "everyone gets everything" system, because you still have a finite amount of points to allocate and you could overlevel some party members at the expense of others, even ones that are used more.) This way, there is still an element of decision making, but you are also free to strategize in terms of "who is more useful", as opposed to having to consider "who needs experience"

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed that there's a bit of level gap between the characters. Do I need to swap them out to keep the evenly levelled? I'm a the second city only.

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
How twitchy is the gameplay in this?, looking at getting on PC and streaming it to my TV in another room. How playable is this with a slight delay?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How twitchy is the gameplay in this?, looking at getting on PC and streaming it to my TV in another room. How playable is this with a slight delay?

On normal it'll likely be fine.

On hard you can get chunked real fast by attacks and with how busy the action is, I wouldnt wanna play it streaming.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Having not touched Ryoji at all since the moment the party opened up, it seems he just sorta levels up automatically at the end of each jail? Like everyone is level 27 and he's level 18 for some reason. So that's nice.
I've noticed that there's a bit of level gap between the characters. Do I need to swap them out to keep the evenly levelled? I'm a the second city only.

Yeah I just sorta rotate them in and out whenever someone gets low on SP, saves me having to constantly go in and out of the jail.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I read a review that said that the gameplay was really easy to cheese because you could just spam abilities that target weaknesses since MP recovery is so easy to come by. Is this true on the highest difficulty?

bodine1231

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Here's a video using Philips Hue lighting on PC at 4k. Works great for this game with all its primary colors. Really adds to the experience

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read a review that said that the gameplay was really easy to cheese because you could just spam abilities that target weaknesses since MP recovery is so easy to come by. Is this true on the highest difficulty?

It's possible to cheese it but it's a serious hassle that requires 2 loading screens.

If people can't resist the urge to do it, sure, but like others talked about, I just switch my party members out instead.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
In the tutorial about Fusion Tips Part 1 they say the inmate registry would keep track of Personas that have been repeatedly used in fusion. But I don't see any indicator, so how does it look like in the registry?

Also where is the showtime gauge they keep mentioning? Apart from some forced tutorial sections I could never do Showtime.

Shorty11857

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the first jail and really enjoying the game, so great to see all these characters again

Also, having the battle music from all the previous Persona games alone makes the deluxe edition worth it

ZDKilljoy

Managing Editor at BunnyGaming
Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Malaysia

I noticed that each jail is meant for one side character so that's the one I always rotate in. Even if they start out under leveled by the end of the jail they always end up on par with the rest. So my team is always Joker, Mona, Sophie & obvious jail choice.

I realized it more by the 3rd jail that's how the game wants us to play I suppose. Coz conveniently that character's element will be very beneficial for the enemies you encounter and the monarch. For example first jail Ann, second Yusuke, and third Haru.

Last edited:

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Also where is the showtime gauge they keep mentioning? Apart from some forced tutorial sections I could never do Showtime.
It's a blue gauge on the left of the character portrait. If a character you're not currently controlling has a full showtime gauge, their portrait will have blue flames coming off of it.