• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which version are you picking up?

• PlayStation 4

Votes: 711 52.4%
  • Nintendo Switch

Votes: 232 17.1%
  • PC

Votes: 359 26.4%
  • Haven't decided yet

Votes: 86 6.3%

• Total voters

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
After your first proper visit to the Jail there should be rundowns of each character in the menu in the tutorials section.
"Tutorials" in the settings. And you can't, those moves are always preset to the persona. So you should get acquainted with what each party members string looks like.

Joker will be your most versatile, of course.

Ok so each persona will have a fix skill that they use in a combo, ok I can work with that.

so for stronger enemies, you'll get "one more action" instead of "All out attacks" if you hit their weakness right?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so each persona will have a fix skill that they use in a combo, ok I can work with that.

so for stronger enemies, you'll get "one more action" instead of "All out attacks" if you hit their weakness right?

You can do all out attacks on stronger enemies as well, only when you drain their down gauge completely (the yellow shields beneath their HP). It's a separate cinematic. But yes. You can also do "one more" on them as well.

All 4 of your members can hold onto their showtimes, as well. It's the blue meter that fills up by their character portrait.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

When you use weaknesses/technicals/critical you will damage their shield icons. Deplete one and you get a One More. Deplete all of them and you get an All Out Attack.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
You can do all out attacks on stronger enemies as well, only when you drain their down gauge completely (the yellow shields beneath their HP). It's a separate cinematic. But yes. You can also do "one more" on them as well.

All 4 of your members can hold onto their showtimes, as well. It's the blue meter that fills up by their character portrait.
When you use weaknesses/technicals/critical you will damage their shield icons. Deplete one and you get a One More. Deplete all of them and you get an All Out Attack.

Thanks guys. Just one more question if you don't mind- there's no limitation to the baton pass right? You can freely switch between characters no problem?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I hate when PC games don't let you input text with the controller, the keyboard is in a different room lol

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realise how exciting it would be to jump back into the Persona 5 world. The opening has me smiling to no end.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Feels so good to be back with the gang. It's awesome that P5 got a full on sequel instead of some fighting spin-off or whatever.
PC port seems very good so far.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
Hearing all these good impressions of the game is making the wait til the 23rd all the more difficult.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Having to leave the dungeon then go back in everytime I want to replenish HP / SP is so fucking annoying.

Why not just make save points restore HP and SP? It's so dumb because the game even tells you "Oh hey btw, if you leave the dungeon you'll get your HP and SP back, so do it if you need to. :)" Yeah okay, just let me regen at the save point then?

It's literally just a waste of time, thank god i'm on PC with an SSD so it just takes a couple of seconds, but boy do I feel for Switch players.

Oct 28, 2019
What can you unlock with a previous/Smash Bros save? Really enjoying it thus far, by far the best faux-musou from KT yet

edit: it's in the OP, shame me for not reading

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It's awesome that P5 got a full on sequel instead of some fighting spin-off or whatever.
P4A was actually a good story that was just ridiculously long and repetitive, and it was a strong set up for a sequel and uniting all the Persona titles.

then the sequel did next to nothing with it and they haven't touched it since sigh. Like honestly Strikers would've been a good return for the Shadow Operatives but no

Also Ultimax is worthy on gameplay alone

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Having to leave the dungeon then go back in everytime I want to replenish HP / SP is so fucking annoying.

Why not just make save points restore HP and SP? It's so dumb because the game even tells you "Oh hey btw, if you leave the dungeon you'll get your HP and SP back, so do it if you need to. :)" Yeah okay, just let me regen at the save point then?

It's literally just a waste of time, thank god i'm on PC with an SSD so it just takes a couple of seconds, but boy do I feel for Switch players.
After the first jail you unlock Jokers Kitchen that you can use to make a bunch of SP items

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I don't get it either. It feels like the game wasn't finished in this regard, like they wanted to implement a calender function like in previous games where the calender moves forward when you leave the dungeon, but they just couldn't finish that feature and never came back to fix this.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017

I'm on Switch and the loads are not as bad as some videos make it to be. Seems like they did some optimisation before release.

I think the reason is to allow people to play it "properly" without HP/SP scumming. Allowing for both still.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Load times actually feel way faster than the comparison videos made them out to be before release. I'm honestly majorly confused on whether that's just on our perception or the loading actually being faster than we did fear/were led to believe.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
I think the reason is to allow people to play it "properly" without HP/SP scumming. Allowing for both still.

But... that's the problem... You can HP/SP scum, the game even tells you that you can, and encourages you to do it. Party members also tell you to go back once you're low en SP aswell... It just seems like a waste of time, could've just made enemies repop once you "rest" at a save point, à la dark souls.

Load times actually feel way faster than the comparison videos made them out to be before release. I'm honestly majorly confused on whether that's just on our perception or the loading actually being faster than we did fear/were led to believe.

Well that's good news for y'all playing on the Switch, it seemed atrocious in the video comparison so it's cool if they managed to make loading times shorter.

That said, I already get annoyed when I have to go back everytime on PC even though it takes a couple seconds, it would've made me more mad if I was playing on the switch lol.

It' just the process that's annoying, go to save point, select leave prison, for some reason, it puts you back downstairs at Leblanc, so you have to walk back, then go back to the hideout, once in the hideout you then have to select infiltrate jail again, once you're in jail, you have to select the checkpoint you where at and fast travel there.

It's just tedious especially if you suck at the game and play on hard difficulty like I do and have to do it a lot.

But oh well.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
P4A was actually a good story that was just ridiculously long and repetitive, and it was a strong set up for a sequel and uniting all the Persona titles.

then the sequel did next to nothing with it and they haven't touched it since sigh. Like honestly Strikers would've been a good return for the Shadow Operatives but no

Also Ultimax is worthy on gameplay alone

Arena did have a good story for Labrys but Ultimax completely shit the bed.
And the games are indeed good but I don't care much for fighting games. Forcing fans of your rpg to play a completely different genre to see the continuation of the story is moronic. They didn't need to be canonic sequels. At least with P3D/P5D you're not missing out on any plot if you're not into rythm games, they just put in some character interactions for fan service which is the ideal way to go about it.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Can you go back to the Jails once you have beaten them or are they closed forever?

I want to fight the blue spark dire shadow but I am currently too weak. I'm not sure if i will miss my chance if I finish the dungeon.

Oct 28, 2020
Anybody had any crashes yet on PC? Had one last night leaving the first Jail and had to do it all again. Been silky smooth aside from that though.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still in the first Jail but man is this really damn good. Combat is fun and the dungeon design feels great. So glad to be back with these characters.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Even with a 2 x resolution scale this is a jaggy ass game.
Could do with some TAA or something.
I wonder if forcing FXAA for the Nvidia control panel would help any.

Apparantly the in game AA messes up the text and makes it blurry as well.
Might have to turn it off.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
How do I access this chest? 🤔

obeXw0F.jpg

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys. Just one more question if you don't mind- there's no limitation to the baton pass right? You can freely switch between characters no problem?

yep. Once you start getting bond points you can start leveling up baton passes to fill up the showtime meter everytime you pass. Pretty good incentive to keep switching around during battles.

and remember, you don't have to go to checkpoints to switch out party members. You can do it in the pause menu. Just in case you're close to the end of a section and don't want to return to a save point.

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Damn, if you're not careful the strong enemies can really fuck you up.

Getting ambushed by a guard would also destroy you pretty fast.

And this is on normal

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not sure if I'd call it difficult, but a little unbalanced. I just fought the first Jail boss and like all the boss enemies before it I was basically only doing single digits damage most of the time. And Showtime and all out attacks also felt like they did barely anything. Does the shop get revival items soon? Kind of a pain that I'd only found one at that point and basically had to go through half of the fight down two party members.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not sure if I'd call it difficult, but a little unbalanced. I just fought the first Jail boss and like all the boss enemies before it I was basically only doing single digits damage most of the time. And Showtime and all out attacks also felt like they did barely anything. Does the shop get revival items soon? Kind of a pain that I'd only found one at that point and basically had to go through half of the fight down two party members.

I got quite a few once I made it to the second palace. Be sure to invest in sophias bond that allows better deals in the shops. She started stocking revival items.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Have you gotten caught? Some chests get blocked when security is higher from being spotted. (this is just a guess)

Well, now i'm at 99% security since i'm going to fight the boss, but it was locked even when it was a 0%. Thought it was for later so I kept it in the back of my mind.

But now i'm about to finish the dungeon and it's still locked and I still can't find a way to access it. <.<

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On the fence for this but is it just me or does this game look really jaggy on the ps4? I cant remember Royal looking so bad on that front.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about impressions, glad the game sounds awesome. Best Buy might be delivering my copy early today :o
Unfortunately it seems like the steenbok is delayed, wonder if I'm even getting it at all now. Btw, the game is the #1 selling PS4 game on Amazon currently in the US, hopefully it sells well.