• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which version are you picking up?

• PlayStation 4

Votes: 711 52.4%
  • Nintendo Switch

Votes: 232 17.1%
  • PC

Votes: 359 26.4%
  • Haven't decided yet

Votes: 86 6.3%

• Total voters

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
MnvWtfW.png

Developers: P-Studio (ATLUS), Omega Force (Koei Tecmo)
Publisher: ATLUS / SEGA
Genre: Action-RPG
Platforms: PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam)
Languages: English, Japanese (Audio) | English, Japanese, French, Spanish, German, Korean, Traditional Chinese (Text)
Price: Standard Edition - $59.99USD / £54.99 / 59,99€
Digital Deluxe Edition - $69.99USD / £64.99 / 69,99€​
File Size: 11.9GB (Switch) / 16.94GB (PS4) / 20.7GB (PC)
Release Dates: February 23rd, 2021 (Standard Edition) / February 19th, 2021 (Early Access)

Original Title: Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers
Original Release Date for PS4/Switch: February 20th, 2020 (Japan) / June 18th, 2020 (Southeast Asia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea)

kZzNs5b.png

Looking for some rest and relaxation, the Phantom Thieves reunite and set out to begin their summer road trip, until a ruthless Kyoto detective enlists their help investigating a series of strange cases occurring across Japan otherwise, he'll arrest Joker. As they dig deeper into the mystery, they discover another realm where innocent people are being jailed and forced to forfeit their hearts' desires by the whims of its ruler. In typical Phantom Thieves style, they're going to use everything they've got to liberate the imprisoned, return their hearts, and strike back against the corruption in their most explosive fight yet!

c741AJh.gif

Persona 5 Strikers blends together the hack 'n slash combat featured in Koei Tecmo's Musou/Warriors games along with the signature elements of Persona's turn-based battles. Take control and engage in real-time combat against hordes of enemy shadows. When you summon a Persona, the gameplay switches to a command menu, allowing you to select which skill you want to use and where to deploy it. By utilizing the Third Eye ability, analyze your enemies to figure out their weakness and deal a devastating blow with an all-out attack.

K9wlf9s.gif

Each member of the team has their own special set of skills. Fight through the hordes, level them up, and eventually unlock some powerful moves for them to pull off. As you make your way through each jail, earn points to spend in the new bonds system. As you progress through the story, the bonds meter slowly levels up and unlocks new perks, such as boosters and buffs for the whole team to use.

Qz9wqnP.png

Outside of combat, there's still much to do. Hit the road and explore 6 cities across Japan, spend some time with the team, and take on side-quests to help those in need.

cQlRWgo.png

L3NSx9H.png
53H1wO9.png
J60yxRM.png
1X2BWDc.png
NSXAq77.png
Cm7P3im.png
UxvsZDM.png
ekCx4xF.png

Protagonist / JOKER
VA - JP: Jun Fukuyama | EN: Xander Mobus

Ryuji Sakamoto / SKULL
VA - JP: Mamoru Miyano | EN: Max Mittelman

Morgana / MONA
VA - JP: Ikue Otani | EN: Cassandra Lee Morris

Ann Takamaki / PANTHER
VA - JP: Nana Mizuki | EN: Erika Harlacher

Yusuke Kitagawa / FOX
VA - JP: Tomokazu Sugita | EN: Matt Mercer

Makoto Nijima / QUEEN
VA - JP: Rina Sato | EN: Cherami Leigh

Futaba Sakura / ORACLE
VA - JP: Aoi Yuki | EN: Erica Lindbeck

Haru Okumura / NOIR
VA - JP: Haruka Tomatsu | EN: Xanthe Huynh

bBqnRjI.jpg
BEGQjj3.jpg

Zenkichi Hasegawa
VA - JP: Shin'ichirou Miki | EN: Tom Taylorson
An investigator in Tokyo's Public Security branch who was dispatched from the Kyoto Police Dept.
To get to the bottom of the Change of Heart incidents in Japan, he seeks out the Phantom Thieves and offers to make a "deal" with them. Though he may appear easygoing on the outside, Zenkichi is a ruthless investigator who will stop at nothing to accomplish his goals.

Sophia / SOPHIE
VA - JP: Misaki Kuno | EN: Megan Harvey
A mysterious girl that the thieves meet in the Shibuya Metaverse.
She seems to have lost her memories, and the only thing she can recall is her directive to "become humanity's companion."

kIZbDQc.png

MetaCritic: 85 (PS4) / 81 (Switch) / 80 (PC) | OpenCritic: 83 / Strong
GameSpot said:
For all its shortcomings, Persona 5 Strikers reminds me why I loved the Phantom Thieves to begin with and shows how they've matured since we last saw them. Once you get your head around it, the action-RPG combat is a challenging thrill, and no one can pull off flourishes in the same fashion as these characters. I almost forgot I was playing a musou-style game developed by Koei Tecmo and Omega-Force, and I think that's a testament to how sharp Strikers is as a Persona game. If you have any love for Persona 5, what say you save the world one more time with some old friends?

Review Thread

IZePfVP.png

CA0MxGc.png
gxeuKY9.jpg
TefizSd.jpg

xPFlXT4.png

T44vnHs.jpg
WGOrk3z.jpg
EjHEHro.png

UrQg1AC.jpg
BZSGjXV.jpg
u5fuF4U.png

FhaAHrN.png

Is this a sequel to Persona 5?
zOHf7Hz.gif

Despite the major shift in gameplay style, Persona 5 Strikers is a direct follow-up of the original ending of Persona 5. It is referenced in one of the Japanese PVs. Before the title drops, a 2 slides in for a quick second, making the logo read P5-2, before getting knocked away.​
Do I need to play Persona 5 / Persona 5 Royal?
If this is your first time experiencing anything related to Persona 5, I strongly advise you to play Persona 5 or Royal before jumping in.​
Persona 5 Strikers is presented in a way that allows newcomers to join in without needing to experience the original. However, many of the major events P5 will be spoiled if you choose to skip it. Additionally, your overall enjoyment of this game will probably increase having experienced the original title, vanilla or Royal. Alternatively, if you don't have time for the full P5 experience, you could watch PERSONA 5 The Animation as an abridged way to get caught up.​
Will there be references to Persona 5 Royal in Strikers?
No. While some events of Royal may line up with dialogue in Strikers, it's been confirmed that Persona 5 Strikers is the direct continuation of the true ending to the original Persona 5. This means that characters and events featured in the Royal edition are won't be referenced.​

Is this game more like a Musou game or a Persona game?
Persona 5 Strikers is a Persona game with an action-RPG system rather than a Musou game with a Persona themed-skin overtop (ex. Hyrule Warriors). While the hack n' slash gameplay is reminiscent of a Warriors title, the Persona-specific features during battle and dungeon mechanics keep it feeling true to the Persona games of the past.​

Why does the game look so jagged?
This game was built in Koei Tecmo's engine used for their Warriors games. Many of the titles built in that engine lack proper anti-aliasing, resulting in very rough looking edges on the models. PC players can use external control panels or turn up the rendering scale in the game to help smooth things out.​

What's the All-Out Attack and Persona Legacy BGM Pack?
The All-Out Attack Pack comes with an assortment of buffs and boosters to use on the team.​
  • Boost Skills Pack
  • Basic Affinity Pack
  • Armor Pack
  • 10K Persona points
  • Enemy Debuff Skills Pack
  • Ally Buff Skills Pack
Persona Legacy BGM contains 8 additional tracks from previous Persona titles that can play during combat.​
  • Normal Battle from Persona 1 (PS1)
  • A Lone Prayer from Persona 1 (PSP)
  • Normal Battle from Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP)
  • Normal Battle from Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PSP)
  • Mass Destruction from Persona 3
  • Wiping All Out from Persona 3 Portable
  • Reach Out to the Truth from Persona 4
  • Time to Make History from Persona 4 Golden
How long is the game?
According to HowLongToBeat, players have reported the game sits around 35 to 45 hours to complete.​

How does it run on each platform?
PS4
Base PS4: 900p (Performance Mode) | 1080p (Graphics Mode)​
PS4 Pro/PS5: 1080p (Performance Mode) | 1440p (Graphics Mode)​
Target framerate for all modes/models: 60fps​
Nintendo Switch
720p (Handheld) | ~1080p (Docked)​
Target framerate: 30fps​
It's noted that the Nintendo Switch port does suffer from longer loading times.​

PC
Supports resolutions up to 4K, no Ultrawide resolutions​
Framerate is capped at 60fps​
Supports keyboard/mouse and controllers (DualShock 4 and XBOX One Controllers)​
For more information about the port, check out the IGN PC performance review.​
in.ign.com

Persona 5 Strikers PC Performance Review

You’ll never see it coming.

I'm interested, but still not sure. Is there a demo?
Yes, there is a demo of the game featuring a cut from the first hour of gameplay. However, it's only available on the Japanese Nintendo eShop and PSN.​

I heard about a bonus for having save data?
If you have save data from Persona 5 or Persona 5 Royal, two additional battle themes, Last Surprise and Take Over, will be unlocked for use in Persona 5 Strikers.​
Because the two games aren't available on other platforms, the requirements are different.​
Switch: Must have Super Smash Bros. Ultimate save data AND own the Joker Challenger Pack DLC.​
PC: Complete the game once.​
Please note that despite also being available on Steam, owning Persona 4 Golden does not offer any additional benefits other than owning Persona 4 Golden.​

Will there be any additional characters/content added to the game?
As of now, ATLUS has not announced any plans for additional Persona 5 Strikers content.​

Does this mean Persona 5 or Persona 5 Royal will arrive on [insert platform here]?
¯\_( ´•ᴗ•)_/¯​

S1NpuYt.png

PlayStation | Nintendo Switch | Steam

OT Crafted by Tiny Hawk

Alternative OT Titles: On the Road Again / Scramble Like A Phantom, Fight Like a Warrior

Last edited:

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Preordered the steelbook edition at Best Buy. I'm usually not a fan of steelbooks but it'll look good in a collection next to the OG Persona 5 and Royal. I wish they offered a full on collector's version though.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
aw yiss

Gotta wait for the steelbook so I'll have all three but I'm looking forward to it.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Good game. Finished the JP version a few months ago and really enjoyed the character interactions. Gameplay got stale after a while, but being able to hang out with the P5 crew made me play it until the end.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This looks great and I really want to play it, but ATLUS regional pricing sadly sucks. Will have to wait for a sale on PC.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
ill probably play this in april. gotta finish p5 royal first. been slacking. ive already finished og p5 tho

OP
OP
Tiny Hawk

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Kinda peeved that Canada didn't get any of the cool bonuses. That steelbook looks great and so does that Joker pin from GameStop.

Doesn't ruin the hype completely though. I'm excited to play through this before I start working again.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I'm a sucker who paid the extra $10 for early access despite not caring about the rest of what comes in the deluxe edition, but I'm very much looking forward to spending my weekend with this.

Oct 25, 2017
ill probably play this in april. gotta finish p5 royal first. been slacking. ive already finished og p5 tho
Same just started P5R and loving it so far! Barely scratched the surface to the second palace though. I'm excited to beat this and move onto Strikers since I normally like action gameplay better over turn-based.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Sooooo how's the story in this one? The gameplay seems fun enough, but if the game's 40 hours long, it'd be great if the narrative side of it was good too.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
So there's a heavy fog in my area right now. That means I should preorder the deluxe edition, right?

Was originally planning to get it on Switch, but might actually prefer the PS version now that I think about it.

Lyndis Lorca

Oct 25, 2017
Excited for more P5, even after Royal last year, but I am a little worried I'm going to burn out since I just finished up Age of Calamity in January.

Can't wait to play as Makoto!

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those loading times for the Switch version are actually bad enough that I think I'll have to grab the PS4 version instead. 🤔

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Will there be references to Persona 5 Royal in Strikers?
This game follows the ending of the vanilla release of Persona 5, so there's a chance you most likely won't see any Royal exclusive characters or events referenced.​

This isn't true, there are references to Royal in Strikers. From TV Tropes:
  • At the night of the game's first day, the protagonist ends up in the Velvet Room during a dream in Persona 5, as usual, but with Lavenza as its sole resident. However, during her greeting words, she refers the protagonist's world as "the future he stole back." This term is actually associated with Maruki and Azathoth's dream world collapsing.
  • Not once in Strikers does Morgana ever mention becoming or wanting to be human (although he still gets mad at being called a cat.) After the Phantom Thieves defeated Yaldabaoth in the Vanilla ending, he still wanted to become human, and specifically cited looking for some way to do so as a reason for continuing to stick with Joker. In Royal by contrast, after the Thieves awaken to their senses in Maruki's dream world, he fully accepts that he is not a human. In the ending after Maruki's defeat, Morgana tells Joker that, regardless of what he is, he will always be Joker's partner.
  • During the game's final act, Morgana will speak of "A Palace that bled into reality half a year ago" while the Phantom Thieves and Ichinose are standing under Tokyo Tower's Jail, which is clearly based on Eden.
  • At the post-credits cutscene of the game, the Phantom Thieves say that they will part ways again, something they first did during Royal's true ending. (In the Vanilla ending, the Phantom Thieves never part ways and leave in Makoto's Citroen H Van together)

Last edited:

Papo

May 7, 2020
This isn't true, there are references to Royal in Strikers. From TV Tropes:
  • At the night of the game's first day, the protagonist ends up in the Velvet Room during a dream in Persona 5, as usual, but with Lavenza as its sole resident. However, during her greeting words, she refers the protagonist's world as "the future he stole back." This term is actually associated with Maruki and Azathoth's dream world collapsing.
  • Not once in Strikers does Morgana ever mention becoming or wanting to be human (although he still gets mad at being called a cat.) After the Phantom Thieves defeated Yaldabaoth in the Vanilla ending, he still wanted to become human, and specifically cited looking for some way to do so as a reason for continuing to stick with Joker. In Royal by contrast, after the Thieves awaken to their senses in Maruki's dream world, he fully accepts that he is not a human. In the ending after Maruki's defeat, Morgana tells Joker that, regardless of what he is, he will always be Joker's partner.
  • During the game's final act, Morgana will speak of "A Palace that bled into reality half a year ago" while the Phantom Thieves and Ichinose are standing under Tokyo Tower's Jail, which is clearly based on Eden.
  • At the post-credits cutscene of the game, the Phantom Thieves say that they will part ways again, something they first did during Royal's true ending. (In the Vanilla ending, the Phantom Thieves never part ways and leave in Makoto's Citroen H Van together)
There's Strikers spoilers here as well not just Royal 😪

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bu-but, I've been refusing everyone to get Joker together with Kasumi and now you're telling me... 😢

That sucks, but I'll take it anyway, looks amazing. P5 UI putting in the work again.

I'm 80 hours into Royal, just did the diet ship. Pretty good timing, considering it wasn't on purpose.

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
Do we know the prices on the dlc packs? I'm assuming 4.99$ or 9.99$ each but I haven't found any info on it

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
How exactly are the load times on Switch?
I don't really have a choice for consoles right now and I really want to play this :-)
Is it unbearably bad or is it most internet hyperbole that I've heard?
Thanks to anyone who can give some insight!

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Sooooo how's the story in this one? The gameplay seems fun enough, but if the game's 40 hours long, it'd be great if the narrative side of it was good too.

I've only saw a rough fansub transition up till the first main boss so for what it's worth I liked was I saw.

If you like Persona 5 you're definitely getting more Persona 5, it's still story heavy and still tackle Japanese social issues.

The best thing is you get your whole gang together right off the bat.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
How exactly are the load times on Switch?
I don't really have a choice for consoles right now and I really want to play this :-)
Is it unbearably bad or is it most internet hyperbole that I've heard?
Thanks to anyone who can give some insight!

There's a video in the OP, maybe you missed that.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Still on the first page and people already asking for info that's in the OP.
Anyway, looking forward to playing this, I enjoyed the demo gameplay-wise and I love the idea of the PT going on a road trip of sorts (which was actually the original pitch for P5). My only gripe is Kasumi not being in it.

Oct 25, 2017
On PS5 are both the performance mode and graphics modes targeting 60fps? If so, what is the benefit of picking the performance mode?

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Copping this day 1 (or is it day 4?lol) which I wasn't even thinking of until this came on my radar a couple weeks ago.
I've been dying to get back with the Phantom thieves crew so this is perfect!

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
Getting it day one on PS4. Usually not a fan of musous, but what I read in the reviews leads me to belive that this might be the exception. Fingers crossed.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like this game has been such a massive long time coming out.
I'd almost forgotten it even existed.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Might just get this on PS4 as no idea when I will get a PS5, and aside from slower loading times the game seems to run fine.