• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Oh shit, it's real and even day 1 on PC?? Damn, well I'm in for the Steam version.

Unless there's some sort of collector's edition then I'll grab it on console. Regret missing out on the P5 one.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oh shit. Interested, even if it is tied to the non-Royal P5 continuity.

I always felt this game was designed as a follow up to Persona 5 as a whole, regardless of what "continuity" it followed.

Still, I can play as the goober kitty who can transform into a van as one of his chain combo's, so all is right in the world.

Awesome. Now please Persona 5 Royal on Steam next.

Something tells me that seems to be the next announcement, and I'm all for it. There have been some cool fan mods with the PS3 release (which includes reworking back cut content and creating a Female MC), so I'm down with a Steam/PC release that offers mod support.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018
Oh shit. Interested, even if it is tied to the non-Royal P5 continuity.
It doesn't feature the Royal only characters but it's all the same continuity. I've heard from people who finished it that say the games don't contradict each other in any way, and both games have the same writers so they were probably careful with that.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Alright Atlus I see you getting those PC Ports in.

Now get them shits on Xbox :P

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Great news, might snag it. Really really love P5 and Royal. Was kinda hoping with the delayed western release they were maybe adding Royal characters to it. :P Just bit big on the Warriors like games, but I will probably get this to have more of the phantom thieves.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
It doesn't feature the Royal only characters but it's all the same continuity. I've heard from people who finished it that say the games don't contradict each other in any way, and both games have the same writers so they were probably careful with that.
Eh? From what I understand, what future plans the characters have vary greatly in the normal ending (P5 vanilla) vs the true ending (Royal). The Phantom Thieves reforming doesn't make sense in a post true ending continuity.

Most I just want to play as Kasumi/Sumire, damn it!

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, out of nowhere on a Friday morning is an odd time for this; but this is great news to wake up to!

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I'm so fucking ready for this. Sadly, if the Japanese special editions are anything to go by, seems like there's no steel book? Would be such a shame considering P5 and P5R both got really nice steel books.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so fucking ready for this. Sadly, if the Japanese special editions are anything to go by, seems like there's no steel book? Would be such a shame considering P5 and P5R both got really nice steel books.
pretty sure atlus USA may just do their own thing on this one if they want to fork the money over.

also i love how this is coming to switch and steam as a sequel to persona 5. Yet, they don't have persona 5 on their platform. Atlus gonna atlus indeed, hah.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Honestly at the rate I've been playing games, I'll probably end up playing this before Royal. Cause I'm gonna wanna play this right when it comes out and I still haven't touched Royal yet.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Man, Even thoug it's just a sequel-spin off, it's still very nice to see that PC is finally getting a piece of the game that invented shibuya and jazz.

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018
lmao at Phil Spencer name dropping Persona just to not even get the spin-off that's releasing on everything but Xbox.

Sep 14, 2018
Is this even good? How were the import impressions?
Pretty good, it was described to me as more of a Persona game with a musou battle system than the other way around. Also the story is not the usual spin off fare, some thought was put into it.

Tbh I haaate musou games and I'm willing to try this based off what I've heard about it.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo on Switch 10 months ago and it was excellent. Excited to finally check this out in full.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
So is this an RPG like P5 or a hack and slash like that one that came out earlier this year, P5 Scramble or something like that? Also, is that a good game? I loved P5 but I'm not interested in Hyrule Warriors sort of approaches.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Is this even good? How were the import impressions?

As someone who imported Scramble and knows a bit of Japanese on the side, the game was solid from beginning to end for being a canonical sequel to Persona 5 (though there are subtle references to Royal and the game doesn't create any contradictions/story inconsistencies).

Gameplay-wise, it's much more complex than at first glance. It's an Action RPG with platforming & stealth elements than being a pure Musuo/Dynasty Warriors game, and each of the Phantom Thieves have their own distinct move sets and play styles (Skull/Ryuji is the Bruiser-type while Queen/Makoto is a Jack-of-All-Stats with a focus on crowd control). You can also fuse Persona's like in the game that preceded it, and you can exploit status effects and enemy types/weaknesses.

As far as story is concerned, it continues the themes and story beats from the original Persona 5/Royal, but it rectifies one of the games main flaws where the new Palace rulers are much more nuanced than the original bosses from the previous game. As I said before, those that perform malicious acts might not be evil at heart is what this game's overarching theme.

As far as the new characters go, they are great additions to the Phantom Thieves, but I'll leave this bracket as a spoiler for those who want to remain surprised:

Zenkichi Hasegawa – P5: Scramble reintroduce the concept of playable adult Persona users with 40-something newcomer Zenkichi (and returning characters Haru Okumura & Makoto Niijima, both of which are attending university at the start of this game at the age of 18/19), and he's a fun addition to the cast for being the Phantom Thieves role as the adviser and father figure of the team. It helps that he's far from a bumbling nincompoop that's the trend of the bulk of the adult characters, so it's most welcome to see him being a genuine good soul that struggles being a supportive single-father, which becomes a main plot point when his kid is a literal Phan-Girl and becomes disillusioned with not only her father seeking justice, but also with how she sees the Phantom Thieves in action. His awakening was one of the highlights of the game, and I put it up there with Makoto's Awakening from P5/Royal.

While I'm fine with the Persona series being a video game about High School life and dealing with adults with unethical aspirations and/or perverted desires, I hope Zenkichi's introduction is the P-Team saying they are warming to the idea of having older party members being involved with the main teenage crew again.

Sophia - She's cute, but unlike for Hasegawa, I keep forgetting she existed in P5: Scramble and sometimes felt like an adorable maguffin. I need to play this game again to make a better evaluation, but as for now, she's inoffensive at worst and sports a cool hoodie with a yo-yo-themed move set. She does have her moments in the story, such as how she goes into Killswitch Mode and wanted to kill the first Palace Ruler to "solve things efficiently".

On an unrelated note, Haru on racing mode became my favourite things that happens in the game. :D