• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will you be buying this?

• Yes!

Votes: 873 31.7%
  • NO

Votes: 1,528 55.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 355 12.9%

• Total voters

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Seriously people, buy a cheap PS3/4 and play Persona 5 that way. Sometimes games don't come to the system you prefer, and the answer isn't to whine about it.

PortableSam

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Not into musou games really but this looks okay - would be more interested if it was a general Persona musou rather than specifically Persona 5. To be honest there are so many games coming to Switch from hereon out this release might get squeezed.

Atlus' relationship with Nintendo is super interesting going forward. We know about SMTV but obviously Atlus gave big support to the DS and 3DS and with the Switch absolutely crushing it in Japan and the crazy attach rate for Octopath it just seems really odd if Atlus doesn't give more core JRPG support to the Switch. I believe Etrian Odyssey was teased but I honestly still think Persona 5 in some form will come to the Switch eventually especially as development time and costs continue to escalate and mid tier developers need to quickly cash in on existing games to cover the long periods between releases.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knowing how badly people have wanted, begged for, and gotten upset that Persona 5 hasn't been announced for the Switch yet I can't help but laugh at this announcement.

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Wow, it's like you missed the point I was making entirely.
I think you missed mine. Cloud's inclusion in Smash is based on him being a huge gaming icon. Smash is all about putting big gaming icons together, but some icons are smaller than others, and are by inclusion given a sort of shout-out (e.g. Ness). Joker's the first 3rd party character that I would argue is not a gaming icon at the tier of the other 3rd party characters. Consequently his inclusion is in the first place a shout-out to a game that is exclusive to a competitor's platform. And though he was chosen by Sakurai, the options presented to him were given by Nintendo JP, suggesting (now) that Nintendo's actively giving a shout-out to a (current-gen unlike FF7) exclusive of their competitor.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
No one says its unplayable, but its the type of game that works better on a handheld.
I played the game on PS4 and would probably not play it again since it dragged, but it would have been a better experience even on a vita than on PS4.
The thing is, that just sounds like a personal opinion. Someone could just as easily say that a long game like persona 5 is meant to immerse yourself into rather than simply play in chunks on the go. Maybe my gaming habits are weird, but when I'm on the go, there typically isn't much time for gaming and super long trips aren't common enough for me to justify taking my switch everywhere.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Not into musou games really but this looks okay - would be more interested if it was a general Persona musou rather than specifically Persona 5. To be honest there are so many games coming to Switch from hereon out this release might get squeezed.

no reason to do a persona crossover musou now when you can just release persona 3 musou and persona 4 musou in two years

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring the fact that Smash isn't a fucking ad board, why the hell would Atlus not capitalizing on it be backstabbing Nintendo? Think about that for even half a goddamn second. Atlus only hurts themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course Sakurai loves Persona 5

34a.jpg_large

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo fans should be happy they even got a Persona game. When was the last time Playstation got a SMT game (outside of the Persona spin-off)?

Oct 25, 2017

Atlus' relationship with Nintendo is super interesting going forward. We know about SMTV but obviously Atlus gave big support to the DS and 3DS and with the Switch absolutely crushing it in Japan and the crazy attach rate for Octopath it just seems really odd if Atlus doesn't give more core JRPG support to the Switch. I believe Etrian Odyssey was teased but I honestly still think Persona 5 in some form will come to the Switch eventually especially as development time and costs continue to escalate and mid tier developers need to quickly cash in on existing games to cover the long periods between releases.
It's not.

TXULJ

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
As someone who's never played a Persona game, looks like it's going to stay that way. How tone deaf

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Would be cool if they put in SMT chars . Give me Demi-Fiend

then by that logic put in Dante lmao

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching the teaser. Looks pretty cool.

I hope there's an exclusive Switch version that comes with little salt packets inside the case, though. Seriously, when will you guys stop being so embarrassing?

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Even if I'm not a huge musou fan I'm a big proponent of every musou game coming to Switch. That sort of mook grinding is the perfect thing to have on in handheld mode while you watch a show on TV that doesn't require too much mental attention either, like one of those CW Arrowverse shows. I feel about the same way for grinding in Pokemon -- it's OK if you have stuff to occupy your attention

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely is. It immensely helped spur interest in Fire Emblem in the west and helped grow awareness about Earthbound. Both of these facts were confirmed by higher-ups at Nintendo.

Atlus isn't buying ad space. Joker's inclusion wasn't a ploy by Atlus or Nintendo to make Persona more popular. They put a popular character into Smash cause he was popular.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I didn't like P5 but if this game has the same style and same quality music maybe I would get this ignorant it's fun

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually way more interested in this than Royal. I don't really have the time to play through all of P5 again just to get to the new content, but playing a Musou spin-off instead? Sign me up.

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely is. It created interest in Fire Emblem in the west and helped grow awareness about Earthbound. Both of these facts were confirmed by higher-ups at Nintendo.

Yeah those poor smaller titles like Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy and Street Fighter would have no where near the amount of interest they have now if it wasn't for Smash

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
No-one would have cared if Atlus released a shitty persona musou game with a sub-72 metacritic on switch if not for the stuff surrounding it

Joker in smash was a colossal fuck up by Nintendo, the rumours and best buy leak didn't help. Nintendo and Atlus being cagey made things worse.

My hope is that the game bombs on switch, and that's the end of these spinoffs on the switch. There'll be plenty of other third parties who can fill the void

Switch fans revving themselves into hysteria then lashing out is hilarious to me. A dlc fighter people seem to like isn't some collosal misstep because a dev doesn't decide not to port another game.

Crippling disappointment following unreasonable hype is perfect for the Switch.

Apr 9, 2019
CLT
I think the mostly legitimate reason this is disappointing is that Persona 5 was developed for PS3 and mostly uses that level of assets. There really isn't any good reason they couldn't release it on the Switch.

I'm starting to suspect there's Sony money in keeping the main series on their consoles, though. I don't think that's a stretch.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Atlus isn't buying ad space. Joker's inclusion wasn't a ploy by Atlus or Nintendo to make Persona more popular. They put a popular character into Smash cause he was popular.

You don't think this makes the character/series more popular?

Being in a series known to sell tens of millions and help popularize some series?

Yeah those poor smaller titles like Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy and Street Fighter would have no where near the amount of interest they have now if it wasn't for Smash

What do those have to do with the two series the poster and Nintendo said benefitted greatly from being in Smash?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Welcome, a new generation of gamers, to the joy that is the perpetual disappointment cycle that is Persona announcements. Usually it's a "I expected nothing but I was still disappointed," but, damn, this is brutal.

However many units this sells could have been bettered tenfold by a port of the RPG. Sony must have an obscenely good contract set, is all I have to say.

What i have to say is that the salt is equally amusing and understandable at the same time.

The sense of entitlement some people have for something that was never promised to them is just amazing.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, I'm interested in this but yeah it'd be weird for a Switch-only owner.

Buy this Musou of a game you never played!