• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you be buying this?

• Yes!

Votes: 873 31.7%
  • NO

Votes: 1,528 55.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 355 12.9%

• Total voters

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
200.gif

going to buy it anyway as I love some good Musou games... more likely for my switch then my PS4

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Christ this thread makes the ff13 on the xbox reveal seem like that lacked some salt for its time. Like god damn some of the people here are acting like children by how petty some of the replies are. I get being disappointed because what you thought was going to happen didn't. but man wishing for the game to bomb, thats a low.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yes. I love Musou games and I love Persona so I am all in on this.

Hope we get some p3/4 characters too.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think SMT V is something Atlus particularly cares about anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they're entirely hands-off on marketing and leave it to Nintendo.

That said, the people complaining that this isn't a P5 port are embarrassing.

Other words begin with the letter "S" besides Switch.

What? Of course they care about SMT. You guys are silly.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
People said over and over that Persona 5 S was not "Persona 5 but ported to Switch" and said Koei-Tecmo is probably involved. And yet we still have a 1500-post thread that built up over a mere four hours filled with people upset that this game isn't the thing people said that it wasn't going to be.

I get, like, not wanting to have a Musou game (and honestly when I saw "Persona 5 Scramble" my first thought was "holy shit they actually are making a shmup?") but boy do I not want to be in the room with any of you guys when the modestly-updated Switch turns out to mostly only have improvements in internal storage and battery life

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I get, like, not wanting to have a Musou game (and honestly when I saw "Persona 5 Scramble" my first thought was "holy shit they actually are making a shmup?") but boy do I not want to be in the room with any of you guys when the modestly-updated Switch turns out to mostly only have improvements in internal storage and battery life
The site will probably break down.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
are people upset because they thought P5 was coming to switch (the main one, not a spinoff)

does this musou game even confirm that P5 isn't coming to switch at all? why can't there be both this spinoff and the main game coming to switch?

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
It strikes me as a little weird they'd put Joker in Smash without having his main game on Switch, especially considering that P5S isn't coming out for a while so there's no way to really tell how popular Joker is with Nintendo audiences. Maybe Sakurai just really liked Joker and the P5 aesthetic, or he figured Joker would suit Smash well and be good promo for P5S. This announcement is weird decision, but didn't we get that one poll asking players what series they'd want to be turned into a musou game...?

idk, I enjoy them well enough. I can't play a ton of them, but Hyrule Warriors was fun to play through and just beat up on stuff for a while. This one looks pretty, and I'm sure it'll be fun enough, so I'll probably get it. Honestly, I'd rather this is the case than having P5R be a definitive edition while P5S is a port of the original with only a little Nintendo-exclusive content; that would have just pissed off Switch owners too.

are people upset because they thought P5 was coming to switch (the main one, not a spinoff)

does this musou game even confirm that P5 isn't coming to switch at all? why can't there be both this spinoff and the main game coming to switch?

This is also a valid point! I think a lot of people just got their expectations up, especially since the DS and 3DS tended to name ports/remakes/new entries with the DS or 3D naming scheme.

Persona is the outlier, not the rule. They don't take years after announcement to show most of their games. Also, Persona/Catherine is their Playstation stuff, Nintendo gets SMT and EO and these franchises are competely MIA and not even getting any comment ever. They became The Persona Company, gives no confidence at all for SMTV to be a priority or coming anytime soon.

Huh? They weren't exactly quiet with SMTIV, SMTIV:A, Dx2, or Deep Strange Journey. SMTV is a different team and producer from P5/PQ/P5D. We probably haven't heard anything about SMTV for a few reasons. P5 was a bit more popular, yes, but they already had the frameworks in place for P5D and PQ, considering that they're sequels; SMTV is their first time using Unreal Engine from what I can tell, so it's naturally going to take a bit longer as they figure out its capabilities and what they want to do with it. Besides that, since they were able to finish the Persona spinoffs faster, they're naturally going to focus marketing on the games that are coming out sooner--there's no sense in promoting a game that won't come out for at least a year and might change as development goes on. Look at how angry people got over puddles in Spider-Man changing slightly between previews, for instance; why would any developer want to subject themselves to that?

Until P5, ATLUS was pretty good about not announcing games until shortly before release. P5 had a restructuring happen behind the scenes because of the earthquake, which might explain why it took so long from announcement to release, but since Nocturne, the vast majority of Megaten games + spinoffs have been released within a year or so of their announcement (P4D is the biggest exception other than P5, but even the other games that took longer than a year were still within a few months of the year mark).

Besides that, AAA game development takes time. It's been just over 2 years since SMTV was announced, with full-scale development only happening barely over a year ago. Of course they're not going to give many updates on it.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No-one would have cared if Atlus released a shitty persona musou game with a sub-72 metacritic on switch if not for the stuff surrounding it

Joker in smash was a colossal fuck up by Nintendo, the rumours and best buy leak didn't help. Nintendo and Atlus being cagey made things worse.

My hope is that the game bombs on switch, and that's the end of these spinoffs on the switch. There'll be plenty of other third parties who can fill the void

jesus
joker is a fun character to play as in smash and that's it. that's the sole reason they added it. let it go. the more games the better, you don't have to buy them.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
One sided back scratching.

Atlus: Promote our games by putting our niche character in your best selling fighting game/series of all time!

Nintendo: Cool, can we get a port of the game too :) ?

Atlus: Lolno
This is probably not how the conversation went at all. But a lot of hurt fanboys are trying to push the narrative that evil Atlus backstabbed Nintendo and got away with it.

Siggy

Dec 12, 2017
No-one would have cared if Atlus released a shitty persona musou game with a sub-72 metacritic on switch if not for the stuff surrounding it

Joker in smash was a colossal fuck up by Nintendo, the rumours and best buy leak didn't help. Nintendo and Atlus being cagey made things worse.

My hope is that the game bombs on switch, and that's the end of these spinoffs on the switch. There'll be plenty of other third parties who can fill the void
Wanting the game to bomb out of spite because you deluded yourself?

Rm1ALnY.jpg

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

This where Persona games were going to be announced so I doubt they would announce a port later.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Atlus: Promote our games by putting our niche character in your best selling fighting game/series of all time!

Just ignore the part where Sakurai wanted Joker because he loves the game.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Please let this be a very good troll post.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Also, I don't really understand the sentiment some express on persona 5 being unplayable on a non-portable system. Just because you like the switch doesn't mean other platforms are invalid, lol.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

No, but we don't know that yet.

I'm not wishing for the game to bomb or anything but I just find it annoying that at this moment they're giving people a game no one really asked for (yes, I'm sure some of you did) but not the one everyone wants.

With Joker's appearance in Smash, it made sense.

It could still happen, but til then people are gonna be annoyed by this move.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Well this looks intriguing. Going to have to see more footage first before buying though.

Yep, that's gonna be a fun thread. :D

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Welcome, a new generation of gamers, to the joy that is the perpetual disappointment cycle that is Persona announcements. Usually it's a "I expected nothing but I was still disappointed," but, damn, this is brutal.

However many units this sells could have been bettered tenfold by a port of the RPG. Sony must have an obscenely good contract set, is all I have to say.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I'm part of the crowd who thinks Joker doesn't fit in Smash at all and has little reason to be there outside of being a big ad, but I'm actually pretty excited for this. Love Hyrule/FE Warriors and the game looks fun so hopefully it launches later this year so I can check it out on Switch. This is a spinoff I don't mind existing (unlike Q2 where all the characters look horrible)

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I don't really understand the sentiment some express on persona 5 being unplayable on a non-portable system. Just because you like the switch doesn't mean other platforms are invalid, lol.

No one says its unplayable, but its the type of game that works better on a handheld.
I played the game on PS4 and would probably not play it again since it dragged, but it would have been a better experience even on a vita than on PS4.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, I don't see this game doing well on Switch at all, especially in Japan. Atlus whole strategy for these spin offs seems to be to milk the existing core audience with overpriced deluxe editions and DLCs up the wazoo, it might work for the PS4 owners but no way it works for Switch owners who are basically a new audience that has very minimal attachement to the world and the characters of P5. Selling the spin off before the main game seems just really backward.

There was a very clear and logical path of action to take and Atlus seems to dance around it.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Except that Sakurai asked for Joker becaue he loves the game.

Feel free to continue the fanfiction though.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, I don't see this game doing well on Switch at all, especially in Japan. Atlus whole strategy for these spin offs seems to be to milk the existing core audience with overpriced deluxe editions and DLCs up the wazoo, it might work for the PS4 owners but no way it works for Switch owners who are basically a new audience that has very minimal attachement to the world and the characters of P5. Selling the spin off before the main game seems just really backward.

There was a very clear and logical path of action to take and Atlus seems to dance around it.

sometimes folks own both a ps3/ps4 and a nintendo switch
(but on the other hand, their spin-offs generally do not perform super well compared to the main games so)
(but on the other other hand, musou games are generally cheap to produce so it doesn't need to do super well)

Oct 25, 2017
I am personally a little disappointed because I have never played a Persona and I was toying with the idea of playing 5 if it came to switch.

But that's a personal problem. It does seem a little funny that so many fans are upset about getting new content instead of repackaging an older game. I guess expectations ran down the wrong track and it took too long for them to set everyone back on course.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Who said anything about back stabbing?

If Nintendo's gonna promote the fuck out of your game it would be, y'know kinda cool for you to port the game he was on for Nintendo/the fans.

We'll see how this works out for them though.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I know I've told people not to be surprised, but man even I'm having trouble wrapping my head around all the folks coming out of the woodwork acting like Joker in Smash was a selfless favour Nintendo did Atlus.