• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will you be buying this?

• Yes!

Votes: 873 31.7%
  • NO

Votes: 1,528 55.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 355 12.9%

• Total voters

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Are you kidding me. What person in their right mind would see Joker in Smash and think that meant nothing. This thread's overwhelmingly negative reaction vindicates that Atlus' handling of this has been an absolute shitshow. That isn't anyone's fault but Atlus's

Of course people are going to make up a narrative, especially when there's so much fuel. How Atlas didn't account for this though is just nuts - obviously people were going to react this way, and they should have seen that from miles away. Any controversy is absolutely Atlus' fault for how dismally they handled this.

Uh, how about people that didn't ignore the fact that Joker is in Persona Q2 on 3DS, a Nintendo platform?

Now how about Atlus gives some info on SMT V, a game exclusively for Switch.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could listen on on Atlus' meetings where they decide shit like this. You really have to wonder how decisions like this are made, because they certainly aren't made with any kind of logic or objectivity.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
What was obvious? I'll give you the fact that the announcement of announcement shit was dumb, but Persona 5 on Switch was the product of nothing other than wishful thinking and bullshit rumors.
6-joker-persona-5-announced-dlc-super-smash-bros-ultimate.jpg

Yes, there was no explicit announcement. But the idea that a first party Nintendo game would actively advertise for a PS4 exclusive game would have been...well, odd, to say the least.

Combined with the fact that Nintendo themselves picked the DLC characters and it wasn't just another quirky pick from Sakurai, it was a simple conclusion to draw at the time. There's a reason this thread is full of salt, and it's not just "wishful thinking."

But it isn't just on Atlus, it's also on Nintendo's bizarre choices.

Gardios

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Not even a little bit surprised by the people acting like babies over this.

While I would've preferred Royale, I've enjoyed the post-Hyrule Warriors musou games a alot so I'm looking forward to this.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
6-joker-persona-5-announced-dlc-super-smash-bros-ultimate.jpg

Yes, there was no explicit announcement. But the idea that a first party Nintendo game would actively advertise for a PS4 exclusive game would have been...well, odd, to say the least.

Combined with the fact that Nintendo themselves picked the DLC characters and it wasn't just another quirky pick from Sakurai, it was a simple conclusion to draw at the time. There's a reason this thread is full of salt, and it's not just "wishful thinking."

But it isn't just on Atlus, it's also on Nintendo's bizarre choices.
They had "Smash x Final Fantasy VII" in the Cloud trailer and we are not getting FFVIIR on Switch. They just wanted to put Cloud in Smash. Same for Joker.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
It won't sell on Switch, that's the cream of the stupid for this decision(s) from both companies, Nintendo and Atlus.

Not because of bitterness from fans, not because of quality of the game... because it's a spin-off of a game most fans never played!
It's stupid. Hyrule Warriors wound't sell on PS4... this is almost the same!

But oh, well. Nintendo acquired a brand new (dead) elephant in the room for a lot o interviews, that will be fun to watch, at least.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
So your response to reason is to claim more falsehoods.

Reason? Where is this reason? You willingly IGNORE Nintendo perfectly being able to manipulate it's fanbase by teases and other things. If my thought is "falsehoods" so is yours.

Remember all those freaking Metroid stuff Reggie loved to wear? Yeah here's a 3DS remake and a new MP.
Burning Chibi-Robo doing the "Praise the sun". Boom Dark Souls.

You really want to keep ignoring this? Really?

Nov 15, 2018
Yeah I'm not buying Joker in Smash nor this game.
Hell I think barely anyone's buying this game.
There's 1 good game related to Persona and that's what they choose not to port.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Another thought for you, Nintendo knows it's fanbase, it even actively played around with this in mind, remember the "what's behind the curtain" thing on the old forum?

So it should've been expected by them that showing the Joker DLC tailer / announcement at the VGAs will, without any doubt, stir up these expectations. Imo, neither should people be surprised at all these reactions, nor should they call out Atlus. That one's on Nintendo themselves.

In any case, large parts of this could've been avoided by showing another DLC fighter first, or simply picking another representative for Smash, or simply saying "no" to Sakurai just once. Again, that's on Nintendo, not Atlus.

Nintendo and no company should have to make choices because some of their fans go stupid over every little breadcrumb thinking it leads to other things. This is all on those fans for hyping themselves up based off of nothing. Again learn from this and perhaps stop assuming and just let things happen before jumping to conclusions next time? This goes beyond this and beyond Nintendo. Every Direct, Every E3, every fucking announcement is full of people who create this ideal then get mad when it is not met when the only reason they got hyped was from some nebulous idea they assumed was more than it ended up being. Then they lash out at the company and the world after...and then hide behind "its just criticism" bro to not get called out on it.

I get being let down..I truly do but these things happen far too often that I'd think people would learn to be pleasantly surprised rather than getting themselves overhype.

Joker in Smash did exactly what Nintendo wanted. He is a character that people like from a game people like from a company they like. He meets the bare minimum of "rules" to be in the game and he moved DLC sales. Are there better choices? Yes. But guess what there are also 4 more "slots"..and who knows even more maybe.

this idea that being in smash means that it has to be advertisement is purely fan created drivel that needs to fucking die. Being in Smash is simply, this character is cool, Sakurai can make a moveset, and it will sell. Thats it.

Learn from this so we can avoid these rage sessions later

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
This is comedy levels of "switch is doing pretty well, we should probably do something for it, but no, not the obvious thing everybody wants and would sell gang busters, lets just do the easy random thing nobody asked for instead"

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wish I could listen on on Atlus' meetings where they decide shit like this. You really have to wonder how decisions like this are made, because they certainly aren't made with any kind of logic or objectivity.
Why do you say that? It's easy money. Koei Tecmo is developing. These musuo games are cheap to make and they sell decently. This seems like a smart decision, no?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It won't sell on Switch, that's the cream of the stupid for this decision(s) from both companies, Nintendo and Atlus.

Not because of bitterness from fans, not because of quality of the game... because it's a spin-off of a game most fans never played!

But oh, well. Nintendo just got themselves a elephant in the room for a lot o interviews, that will be fun.
Why do people always assume that Switch owners only own a Switch? I could see Persona fans interested in this getting it on Switch since it's portable.

Other

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has brought and completed trash Musous and Musou-lukes like Fate Extella at full price with no regrets I have negative interest in this

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all Switchers better buy this in droves if you want dat Royal port.

Yeah fuck that mentality. We do not need to prove ourselves worthy of a port of a four year old game.

There's no tangible reason for Persona 5 not getting released on the Switch, but it isn't and we just have to get on with it. The only ones that lose out are Atlus anyway and if they really think a musou game would sell better on the Switch than Persona 5 itself then maybe they deserve to lose out.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Let's make a Persona spinoff where you play as the person who comes up with new Persona spinoffs.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

But oh, well. Nintendo acquired a brand new (dead) elephant in the room for a lot o interviews, that will be fun to watch, at least.
I don't know man, with the amount of hype I've seen from Joker in Smash, I wouldn't bet against a lot of people trying this game out. Plus, Musou already has a fanbase on the Switch.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Bit off topic, but since the P5 switch port was a load of horse shit, I assume that means that DQ rep in smash is a load of horse shit too.

Not that you should expect anything from random people pretending to be insiders.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Mom! Can we get persona 5 on switch?
We have Persona 5 on switch at home

Not gonna lie this sounds cool. These games aren't usually my type but i heard great things about hyrule warriors as a spin off, so I might check this out.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo and no company should have to make choices because some of their fans go stupid over every little breadcrumb thinking it leads to other things. This is all on those fans for hyping themselves up based off of nothing. Again learn from this and perhaps stop assuming and just let things happen before jumping to conclusions next time? This goes beyond this and beyond Nintendo. Every Direct, Every E3, every fucking announcement is full of people who create this ideal then get mad when it is not met when the only reason they got hyped was from some nebulous idea they assumed was more than it ended up being. Then they lash out at the company and the world after...and then hide behind "its just criticism" bro to not get called out on it.

I get being let down..I truly do but these things happen far too often that I'd think people would learn to be pleasantly surprised rather than getting themselves overhype.

Joker in Smash did exactly what Nintendo wanted. He is a character that people like from a game people like from a company they like. He meets the bare minimum of "rules" to be in the game and he moved DLC sales. Are there better choices? Yes. But guess what there are also 4 more "slots"..and who knows even more maybe.

this idea that being in smash means that it has to be advertisement is purely fan created drivel that needs to fucking die. Being in Smash is simply, this character is cool, Sakurai can make a moveset, and it will sell. Thats it.

Learn from this so we can avoid these rage sessions later

Hi, owned the P5 Collectors Edition for PS4 since it's launch day and played through it. I'm not bitter nor do i have "rage".

What i don't like is this elitism saying about "It wasn't anything but..." when there's enough examples of "It ACTUALLY was!", and Nintendo perfectly knowing what they're doing.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
They had "Smash x Final Fantasy VII" in the Cloud trailer and we are not getting FFVIIR on Switch. They just wanted to put Cloud in Smash. Same for Joker.
At the very least, Cloud is an icon in gaming far beyond what Joker is, and his series has a long history on Nintendo platforms.

The equivalent would have been putting Cloud Noctis in Smash while also having the only Final Fantasy game ever put on a Nintendo platform be Crystal Chronicles.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is dope, why the hell not. I enjoy being surprised.

Its not like KT was going to port P5 anyways.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For fuck's sake Atlus...

Then again, Nintendo are really the ones to blame for all this mess.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Where did the information/rumor about Persona 5 Switch vanilla port come from by the way? Just speculation because of the "S"?

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Bit off topic, but since the P5 switch port was a load of horse shit, I assume that means that DQ rep in smash is a load of horse shit too.

Not that you should expect anything from random people pretending to be insiders.
A Dragon Quest character has been reiterated by the guy who leaked Cloud for Smash 4. It isn't just 5ch rumours that back Erdrick up.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This is comedy levels of "switch is doing pretty well, we should probably do something for it, but no, not the obvious thing everybody wants and would sell gang busters, lets just do the easy random thing nobody asked for instead"
That's pretty rude to the people who've actually spent time working on this

I mean you're fine to not like it but pretending some of us aren't interested in it is weak

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Reason? Where is this reason? You willingly IGNORE Nintendo perfectly being able to manipulate it's fanbase by teases and other things. If my thought is "falsehoods" so is yours.

Remember all those freaking Metroid stuff Reggie loved to wear? Yeah here's a 3DS remake and a new MP.
Burning Chibi-Robo doing the "Praise the sun". Boom Dark Souls.

You really want to keep ignoring this? Really?
Look sometimes it is a tease, sometimes it isn't. The Chibi-Robi thing was so bizarre it was reasonable to read that as a tease of something, we just didn't realize Dark Souls until after we saw it.

Stuff like the shirts Reggie wears may or may not be teases. He just wears fucking clothes. This is like the thing about how Sakurai said on Twitter how he just likes to play video games and not everything he tweets about is a hint for Smash. You may have interpreted it as a tease, but it clearly wasn't.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In any case, large parts of this could've been avoided by showing another DLC fighter first, or simply picking another representative for Smash, or simply saying "no" to Sakurai just once. Again, that's on Nintendo, not Atlus.
You are acting like Nintendo doesn't value Sakurai at all.

Oct 27, 2017
I like Warriors games, so I'm down for this. Please have Persona 4 characters. Wonder how long until Atlus USA announces a localization.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't tease anyone besides Joker and the OC how about you be patient?

Hyrule Warriors only showed Link in it's first trailer too.

I can wait... to be slapped in the face with DLC characters. Hyrule Warriors fantastic cast wasn't there in the first release. Took several rounds of dlc and multiple consoles to get everything together on one cart.

Since I'm not in the business of buying games just for DLC, I reiterate my point. Easy pass. I'll simply get the bundled together edition if I even still care by the point it comes out