• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What does P5S stand for?

• Persona 5 Switch port (only base game)

Votes: 281 14.9%
  • Persona 5 Switch port (with new content)

Votes: 731 38.9%
  • Persona 5 Complete Edition PS4-only

Votes: 128 6.8%
  • Persona 5 Complete Edition, Switch/PS4

Votes: 310 16.5%
  • Persona 5 Smartphone

Votes: 113 6.0%
  • Persona 5 Steam

Votes: 117 6.2%
  • It was a typo, OP wanted to write PS5.

Votes: 200 10.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I expect this is the switch version and I expect this will not have Royale content (if Royale is an update of the bass game).

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm really expecting now that Persona 5 The Royal is just the announcement of the "Royal" Phantom Thief, a new character that will join the group, and it's the girl in the teaser.

Persona 5 S must be a second character. Atlus makes us think these are games, but it's the announcement of DLC with some new characters. Maybe they will launch a "Deluxe" edition with the DLC included as well, but I'm not expecting The Royal and "S" to be two games or two different releases.
That would be the lamest shit ever.

Nov 15, 2018
Well I would expect Persona 5 on Switch. If not then I wont buy Joker for Smash.
If Nintendo wants popular 3rd party characters with no relevance to Nintendo systems, there are a ton of Japanese and Western ones that would sell far more DLC than Joker.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Well I would expect Persona 5 on Switch. If not then I wont buy Joker for Smash.
If Nintendo wants popular 3rd party characters with no relevance to Nintendo systems, there are a ton of Japanese and Western ones that would sell far more DLC than Joker.
Joker does have a game on a Nintendo system tho.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Joker was specifically shown in Smash with the title Smash x Persona 5. Most people who know Joker dont even know the 3ds spinoff games exist.
its really not that serious.

people really take being in smash as if it requires that much thought beyond "hey company that we work w/ a lot, how about we put this character of yours in?" Regardless of Persona's Nintendo relevance, SMT , y'kno the series it was birthed from, has a ton. Atlus, y'know the company that makes it, has a ton. Persona 5 is simply the latest and biggest game of the company at the moment and thus Joker gets pushed to the forefront. That does not mean Persona 5 MUST come out on the switch before he gets into smash. Final Fantasy 7 still isn't out ffs. Snake had shit from Metal Gear 4.

just admit that you don't like Joker/Persona 5 and stop coming up w/ various conspiracies as to why you totes won't buy it.

holy shit the switch port begging on this forum tanks fucking everything.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 Switch.

Persona 5 Royal is an interquel that will be ported to Switch next year.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You really need a port of a game to justify your purchase of a DLC character, huh.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

people really take being in smash as if it requires that much thought beyond "hey company that we work w/ a lot, how about we put this character of yours in?" Regardless of Persona's Nintendo relevance, SMT , y'kno the series it was birthed from, has a ton. Atlus, y'know the company that makes it, has a ton. Persona 5 is simply the latest and biggest game of the company at the moment and thus Joker gets pushed to the forefront. That does not mean Persona 5 MUST come out on the switch before he gets into smash. Final Fantasy 7 still isn't out ffs. Snake had shit from Metal Gear 4.

just admit that you don't like Joker/Persona 5 and stop coming up w/ various conspiracies as to why you totes won't buy it.

Yeah, I see Joker's inclusion in Smash as emblematic of Atlus as a whole rather than just Persona. It's meant to encompass Atlus' entire brand history. Joker is currently their most popular character and he makes a much more practical and interesting fighter than Jack Frost (not that I wouldn't want to see my boy in Smash).

This is just silly.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'd say "Just announce things or don't; stop stringing your fans along," but it clearly generates buzz and free marketing across forums like Era and social media. They have an unorthodox strategy (and generally shitty outlook), but it works.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Royale is a ps4 rerelease with more content, I wonder if this S (likely for switch) will just be a port of the main game, sans Royale additions.

I think or at least hoping that if this is the Switch port there will be "new" but different content exclusive to it just as the Royal additions would new new and exclusive to it.

I don't think the girl in the Royal version is a new playable character for a few reasons and think she'll play a big role in the story as well as becoming a new Confidant Link.

I'm thinking (again if this is the Switch port) that this will be a base game with one or two more Confidant Links and a added month of player control time. Just a advance version of the base game.

A couple year down the road they'll release a version of the game that contains all the content in one version.

Nov 15, 2018

If I didn't like Joker/Persona 5 then I wouldn't care for a Switch port.

And yeah it makes no financial sense for Nintendo to choose Joker if they gain nothing from it which is why the choice is so odd if there is no port. He's no icon like Cloud so the FF comparison makes no sense.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think P5S will be a spin-off of Persona 5 in a genre that isn't rhythm/dungeon crawling/fighting.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Well, P5S is the anagram of PS5.

Persona 5 for PlayStation 5 confirmed. Expect the announcement of the new console anytime this month.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I was excited at the title, but man at this point I'm pretty done with Atlus JP's marketing strategies. I'm not that desperate.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
What it should be: "Golden" style re-release for PS4 and Switch, with Royal being a standalone release and/or premium paid DLC for PS4 as that's the only system (PS3 disregarded) with the base version of the game.

Since this makes sense, and that's not what Atlus does most of the time, i'm pretty much expecting anything, Switch port of the base game, multiplatform re-release, some sort of mobile game ... really anything.

Just saying though, if Persona 5 stays in all forms PS4 exclusive, then i got to give it to Nintendo for the braindead idea of having Joker in the list of possible DLC chars for Sakurai. If you want to represent a series with changing protagonists, use the mascot, which in this case would be Jack Frost or another demon. (No, not THAT one!)

What is with the goddamn teasing here?

December: Joker in Smash
Late December: Persona projects coming in 2019
Early March: Atlus announces announcement
March: Persona 5 Royal announced with no info, "more soon"
Early April: Persona 5 S, no info
April: We will tell you promise

Five months just to say "Persona Switch".

Don't you know? Atlus has a fiendish Escape Room set up for all their announcements. Only the strongest and smartest make it out into the world. Sometimes a lucky one manages to slip through though, like Persona Q2 as a 3DS exclusive.

Yeah I don't think this is a simple port. Probably it's own gams.

New Phantom Thieves could just mean that the re-release, if that's what it is, has chars from the base game joining the playable chars. Like that Shogi player girl. Wasn't she even considered as a Phantom Thief during development?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with the teasers, because we always knew things would be announced during the April concert ever since the concert itself was announced months ago. These just give us a peak into what those announcements will be, which is fine with me.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Atlus, please give me a chance to give you my money so you might consider bringing Tokyo Mirage Sessions back.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
New Phantom Theive(s) plural is what makes me skeptical it's just a Switch port with extras, it'd be pretty unprecedented to introduce MULTIPLE party members, and it's also really confusing considering The Royal looks more poised to introduce a new female character. But Persona on Switch just makes so much sense...

I know Atlus probably thinks this teasing is cute but to be honest it's more annoying than anything

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damm, if the switch version is vanilla, then ill just be getting it on PS4 again. which is disappointing as I really want Persona on the go, but i gotta have to all!

tomahawk

Nov 2, 2018
New Phantom Theive(s) plural is what makes me skeptical it's just a Switch port with extras, it'd be pretty unprecedented to introduce MULTIPLE party members, and it's also really confusing considering The Royal looks more poised to introduce a new female character. But Persona on Switch just makes so much sense...
The Japanese is not worded as "new phantom thieves," in the sense that implies new party members. It's more like "the new phantom thieves" as in the group as a whole is in some way "renewed."

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Atlus should stop these teases and just announce the game already. I'm a fan of the Persona series but this is starting to sour me on it.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering, what are the indications of a potential Switch version being the first version/vanilla version of Persona 5?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Japanese is not worded as "new phantom thieves," in the sense that implies new party members. It's more like "the new phantom thieves" as in the group as a whole is in some way "renewed."

Oh ok that makes more sense. Really hope it's a Switch port that incorporates both the original and The Royal, then, unless the latter is a weird sequel.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
If I didn't like Joker/Persona 5 then I wouldn't care for a Switch port.

And yeah it makes no financial sense for Nintendo to choose Joker if they gain nothing from it which is why the choice is so odd if there is no port. He's no icon like Cloud so the FF comparison makes no sense.
again you ignore the Atlus connection.

He's no Icon but Persona 5 was legit Atlus' biggest game ever. No shit if they got a chance to get a rep they'd choose Joker.

Its really that simple. Hey Atlus, we cool, so we'd like a rep.... Atlus chose Joker. End of story.

Thats all the financial sense needed. Its not even like Joker is the ONLY character. Not everyone is going to be the biggest of the big anyway.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I was excited at the title, but man at this point I'm pretty done with Atlus JP's marketing strategies. I'm not that desperate.

I do wonder if this works for people and why.

If you are going to tease things out you need much more crafty teases with either more content to speculate about or create some game of it that people can dig into and unearth things.

Otherwise stringing along nothing announcements, who has time for that shit? All it really does is make me want to ignore them.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It would be hillarious if Atlus just re-releases Persona 5 on the PS4 with new content instead of releasing DLC.
It's a super Atlus thing for sure but I wish Atlus would stop being so anti-consumer. Don't get this wrong that would be anti-consumer. Forcing you to pay full price just to get some extra content they could have sold seperately as DLC for a cheaper price.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going by the domains we still have P5U (most likely Arena), P5AG, P5B and P5M to look forward to.

I think a few of those will probably get teased later this year for the next concert whenever they do another one.
not all of those domains are gonna be used, some of them were probably registered as red herring. iirc there was a bunch of unused persona 4 domains as well.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now this is after the concert, maybe something Nintendo hosted then? Either way I want it, so much Persona news

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
my guess is that P5S is Persona 5 Super and PSR is like the FES add on. So Super is the all in one edition (hence also being on PS4) w/ Royal as the FES and perhaps DLC.

Nov 15, 2018
again you ignore the Atlus connection.

He's no Icon but Persona 5 was legit Atlus' biggest game ever. No shit if they got a chance to get a rep they'd choose Joker.

Its really that simple. Hey Atlus, we cool, so we'd like a rep.... Atlus chose Joker. End of story.

Thats all the financial sense needed. Its not even like Joker is the ONLY character. Not everyone is going to be the biggest of the big anyway.

In the end what you said only benefits Atlus, not Nintendo. So no it does not make financial sense for Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.