• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Let's predict the metascore

• 95-99

Votes: 98 18.9%
  • 90-94

Votes: 214 41.2%
  • 85-89

Votes: 152 29.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 38 7.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • <75

Votes: 13 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Gameblog : 10/10, Editor's Choice

www.gameblog.fr

TEST. Persona 5 : Royal (PS4)

TEST. Persona 5 : Royal (PS4) - Il y a trois ans sortait chez nous Persona 5, le jeu qui aura assouvi les rêves les plus fous des Weeaboo du monde entier. Il y a trois ans je...

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I wish I didn't play Vanilla P5 so I'd be able to enjoy this just like I did enjoy P4G. Damn.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
unknown.png

cherish this one moment.
YOOO!

I made huge mistake by selling my PS4.

OP
OP
Thiago

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Royal showering in 10s

Gameblog.fr (10 / 10):
Whether you played Persona 5 or not, Persona 5 Royal is simply a must play for everyone. There is more content with updated gameplay mechanics that make the game even more enjoyable than before. The new confidants add a new layer to Joker, deepening our understanding of its psyche and our immersion in the process. Persona 5 Royal is just better than a Persona 5 overhaul.

RPG Site (10 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal isn't just my favorite Atlus re-release, it might just be my new favorite Atlus game of all time.

Noisy Pixel (10 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal is everything I could want out of a re-release. The game's style and charm shine brightest in this version as it made an already great game even better. The balances and new additions were based on long-time fan criticisms, and it's evident that the developers used it as a foundation to update this adventure while still throwing in some quality-of-life changes that I didn't know the game needed, but ended up loving anyway.

TheSixthAxis (10 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal is a stunning game that takes something which has already captured millions of hearts and makes it even better. This is the quintessential Persona experience. If you're new to the franchise, this game is for you. If you're a seasoned veteran, there is enough new and improved content that this game is still for you.

Vandal (10 / 10):
Royal is much more than we expected. It's an absolutely incredible game reaching perfection, improving on everything. On top of that, it comes localized, so the language barrier is not a barrier anymore.

God is a Geek (10 / 10):
For those that have already enjoyed the original game, this is a fan's dream, with everything you could wish for and more, with nearly every aspect improved upon. A spellbinding videogame, and one that deserves to be spoken about in reverential terms for many years to come.

Attack of the Fanboy (10 / 10):
By most accounts Persona 5 didn't do much wrong. While most games that achieve the critical success of P5 would rest at that job well done, Atlus has continued to further refine their masterpiece into something even better. Persona 5 Royal is proof that even the best games can be made better by acknowledging shortcomings and addressing them, however small they are.

Slant Magazine (10 / 10):
The game speaks in specific and effective ways to the sheer exhaustion of living in perpetual strife, even while delivering the catharsis of standing together against turmoil, even surviving it.

GamesFinest (10 / 10):
Persona 5' was rightly praised three years ago with loud hymns of praise. This royal update puts the crown on one of the best JRPGs of the last years. Atlus has consistently honed the few edges and quirks of their fantastic role-playing game and refreshed the gaming experience with countless, useful innovations and comfort decisions. The interesting new additions to the character set fit so homogeneously into the plot that I often caught myself thinking that they had always been part of the story. Moreover, the first-time implementation of German screen texts finally breaks the language barrier, which kept many players at a distance despite their interest. This now opens the door to a fantastic roleplaying game for new players and I can only emphasize: if you can do something with the staging, hit it. And if not, at least take a look at it, because all the praise for Atlus' wacky adventure about students stealing the hearts of depraved people in their spare time is more than justified.
 All Persona 5 veterans, however, must consider whether the new features are worth diving into the metaverse once again for countless hours. Anyway, I was amazed how quickly 'Royal' managed to tie me up and bring me back into the world of Persona 5. The many meaningful and affectionate innovations once again sparked my old passion for Atlus' sensational roleplaying game.

Hobby Consolas (9.7 / 10):
If Persona 5 was a diamond, the Royal version, with a gigantic amount of changes and improvements, is the treasure of the palace. The spanish localization is the gold that covers it all, and the final detail that makes it a truly invaluable gem for any thief, new or veteran.

Multiplayer.it (9.6 / 10):
The best version of a masterpiece is... a masterpiece once again. It is also a joy to play in 4K.

IGN Italia (9.5 / 10):
Hugely enriching its original formula, Persona 5 Royal is a must-have JRPG, but also a great game for anyone wanting to discover a new genre.

PlayStation Universe (9.5 / 10):
Persona 5: Royal is the definitive Persona 5 experience. Atlus has refined the already excellent base game, trimming the rigid, sharp edges and creating a smoother experience filled with new and interesting activities, characters, story moments, and even an entirely new palace and optional ending to the game. Persona 5: Royal is one of the best JRPG's on PS4 for both new and returning players.

Twinfinite (9 / 10):
The additions introduced in Royal allow Persona 5 to become the excellent JRPG it was always truly meant to be, and it's a wonderful effort that will surely be appreciated by fans.

Hardcore Gamer (9 / 10):
Persona 5 Royal is a shining beam of light for the JRPG genre and one you won't want to put down despite its massive time commitment.

Press Start Australia (9 / 10):
The gist of it is though; this is more than just a few updates slapped on top of an existing game, it's a complete rethinking of the major and minor components that made the original what it was. For Persona 5 megafans who are ready to play through the game again, Royal is a very compelling package that more than justifies the double dip, and for curious newcomers it's an absolute no-brainer.

Stevivor (9 / 10):
I'm not sure I'd recommend Royal to those who've just finished Persona 5. Even with homophobic scenes cut here in the west, and gun ammo refilling after single battles, it's ultimately still the same (long!) game with a little more to do. Though if you're a fan of JRPGs and didn't get into Persona 5 yet, than Royal is a no-brainer.

DualShockers (9/10):
If you never got around to playing vanilla Persona 5, then Persona 5 Royal is now the perfect starting point. Filled with a plethora of new story and gameplay content to go along with all of the DLC from the original, this is without a doubt the definitive edition.

IGN Japan (8.9 / 10):
While some of its new story feels unnecessary, and players who have already beaten the original will have to go through the dungeons all over again to access the new content, this is still one of the best RPGs of the current generation.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
holy shit I've been hearing about P5R being unneccessary and rough for months now, these scores are shocking

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Goddamn I expected 90+, but not this high!
Fantastic, will gladly run through it again, and I'm getting that platinum this time! (it's much easier this time around)

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I wish so much I could import my character from the regular game. Just don't know if I have enough time to fit this into life right now.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so mad I cancelled my pre-order after the import impressions weren't that good. Fuck.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but I thought that's how the initial reaction even by fans was until a year or so after release and likewise it would show here. I'm wrong I guess
We've seen gamers have complain about the length and you will see those complaints with this version too. The reviewers don't seem to have a problem with it.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
If I was to only play one what would be best out of Persona 3 or Persona 5?

I played Persona 4 and liked it well enough but P3's apparently more somber tone makes me think it may be more up my street.

I absolutely loved Persona 3.
I think it depends on if you prefer story over gameplay. P3 lacks all the quality of life improvements that the later entries have, if you play 3 after 5 you might find it hard to play but in terms of the story and characters I think 3 has 5 beat.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Holy Crap, I was thinking it was going to do slightly less than the original. GOAT JRPG gets GOATier I guess

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The $79.99 CAD price tag makes it a tough pill to swallow TBH. Double dipping at this price feels bad...

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I got this preordered for $36. I stopped playing p5 when this was announced and sold it off around that time.