• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Let's predict the metascore

• 95-99

Votes: 98 18.9%
  • 90-94

Votes: 214 41.2%
  • 85-89

Votes: 152 29.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 38 7.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • <75

Votes: 13 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seriously hyped for this. It's been 3 years so I'm itching to replay the game, I've been avoiding info as much as possibe but from what I've seen the amount of new content is huge and lots of great changes have been made. I'm really looking forward to what Kasumi brings to the table, love her design.
Also, it can't be said enough, the fact that they translated this to other languages is big, I have a friend in Spain who has been wanting to play Persona since forever because of all the praise I give the series but couldn't because of the language barrier. Now he's counting down the days for Royal.

TehOh

Oct 25, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I don't see what wouldn't work? Even if they wanted the two experiences to be entirely separate, all you need is a menu option when you make a new file.

New game
New game (royal)

I guess that would work. I meant that you can't just graft this into the base game and load up your existing save game. Still, there are enough QOL and gameplay tweaks that I think it would be weird to just have two entirely separate experiences in the same executable. It would at least make sense to make this "standalone DLC".

At that point, you're really just arguing about the price. Is this worth $60 if you already own Persona 5? That's up to you. I think it is.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes? and lower Meta score for P5R would suggest that P5 is the better game and thus the one that should be played, even my newbies. Which it won't be.
The fact that Royal addresses literally 90% of every major complaint people had with P5 in addition to adding more side content and still clocking out at a lower playtime than P5, I'd say Royal is almost objectively the better recommendation.

I could see reviewers being more harsh this time since they have to replay the entire experience, but from a sheer content level I don't see how you could put P5 above this.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Surprised at the high amount of 85-89 votes.

I thought out of all the big games in March and April, this would be the highest chance of getting 90+.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Royal addresses literally 90% of every major complaint people had with P5 in addition to adding more side content and still clocking out at a lower playtime than P5, I'd say Royal is almost objectively the better recommendation.

I could see reviewers being more harsh this time since they have to replay the entire experience, but from a sheer content level I don't see how you could put P5 above this.
I'm not sure this is true. In fact, the biggest complaint you see about the game is the length lol.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Does Royal at all shorten or tighten other parts of the game? I know it adds new things of course but do any of the changes address the pacing during the earlier or middle parts of the game?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Same game on Switch would probably get 93 again. Reviewers are gonna knock it for being on the same plattform and Atlus asking 60 bucks again.

I mean...and its not like fans will care about scores anyway,

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Does Royal at all shorten or tighten other parts of the game? I know it adds new things of course but do any of the changes address the pacing during the earlier or middle parts of the game?

have a read:

www.pushsquare.com

Persona 5 Royal: Changes - All Differences Compared to Persona 5

Everything new in Persona 5 Royal

Same game on Switch would probably get 93 again. Reviewers are gonna knock it for being on the same plattform and Atlus asking 60 bucks again.

I mean...and its not like fans will care about scores anyway,
Shame we'll never know.

Not sure why people are expecting it to come to Switch. All mainline games are exclusive to Playstation. There is no PS handheld so that's why Royal is coming to PS4.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No way this breaks 90 which is fine because the original reviews for P5 felt dishonest (in the sense that reviewers didn't want to upset fanboys)

Hoping for some well written reviews

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Shame we'll never know.

Not sure why people are expecting it to come to Switch. All mainline games are exclusive to Playstation. There is no PS handheld so that's why Royal is coming to PS4.
I didnt say it was coming to Switch lol.
My point was more about how the same game could be perceived and scored differently just based on how and on what plattform its being released.

Some reviewers a are gonna knock it for that reason. Re-releases on the same plattform scored harsher - especially when the pub is asking for a full price, regardless of the quality.

But maybe im wrong.....

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people think that the game rates lower than the original? New content plus some of the annoying things have been removed.
Because maybe people will not be wowed by the graphics, music and style this time and realize that it's actually a game that says a lot about nothing.

OP
OP
Thiago

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm GameSpot posted early review impressions, final review before launch, no date.

www.gamespot.com

Persona 5 Royal Early Review Impressions

Persona 5 is a very long game, and P5R is even longer. At about 60 hours in, P5R still brings the heat along with a ton of new features and improvements.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Glad I didn't get too far into the original. Was going to pass on this one for a while to work on my backlog, but Best But restocked on the collector's edition with the mask briefly, so I bit.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
unknown.png

cherish this one moment.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm GameSpot posted early review impressions, final review before launch, no date.

www.gamespot.com

Persona 5 Royal Early Review Impressions

Persona 5 is a very long game, and P5R is even longer. At about 60 hours in, P5R still brings the heat along with a ton of new features and improvements.

Our review is also coming in late.

It's my own fault for lacking time management. Had a copy for about as long as we had AC but all of the PAX East wrap ups took up a majority of my time.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
P5 definitely wasn't worth the score it got last time. The localisation being mostly redone will help but you can't help the inconsistent character writing. Plus a lot of the new content is back ended. The new character doesn't even matter until the end of vanilla P5's story.

Might grab it super cheap down the road because if there's one actual amazing thing about the game, it's Meguro's best soundtrack.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
god damn, 96 after 19 reviews, thats nuts. it'll most likely drop somewhat but holy shit.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Still a great game if you have the time would be the majority verdict. My guess would be 90. Some might ding it for not being on switch.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
I stopped playing the original when I got to the Pyramid looking palace. I could not beat a certain mini boss and gave up lol. Hopefully I will be better prepared this time lol. Scores are looking pretty good so far, pretty excited.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Insane scores.

Might have to pick this up due to the easier platinum than the original. No constant stress of making the most of every day.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
If I was to only play one what would be best out of Persona 3 or Persona 5?

I played Persona 4 and liked it well enough but P3's apparently more somber tone makes me think it may be more up my street.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
The original was a 93 right? And this improves upon the original in nearly every way, adds additional content, and fixes a bunch of QOL stuff as well from what I've read. I'm guessing 95.